The NPD Group Employee Reviews

NPD Group
Senior Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYSeptember 5, 2018
I have a positive experience at the NPD Group which I was there for 8 years.
There is a lot of flexibility and movement throughout the company and there are many managers who are support their team.
A Day In The Life of a Client Services Person
Director of Client Services & Operations (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJuly 22, 2018
Based on position in a satellite office.
A friendly and cohesive group of individuals to work and have fun with. Be wary, You'll be on internal phone calls for 70% of the day and little autonomy or time to improve your client's use and acceptance of data.
NPD tends to promote from within to avoid paying higher salaries that are commensurate to experience.
The workload and lack of resources makes it challenging to achieve the proper work/life balance.
Pros
Ability to work remotely on occassion
Cons
Antiquated tools and lack of resources.
Siloed, non-collaborative and impersonal culture
Director, Industry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJune 19, 2018
NPD operates its business in distinct industry verticals. As a result, there is minimal interaction between analysts who aren't on the same business; people can physically be seated next to each other and never be introduced or speak to one another. It's great if you like your fellow team members, but don't expect to collaborate or learn best practices from other business units.
Pros
Flexible hours and remote work culture
Cons
Cold, impersonal environment
It's ok
Account Specialist/Analyst - Retail Business Group (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJune 14, 2018
Just ok - if you're looking for routine work where only management matters then work here...lots on Specialists have talent that is over looked. Depends who you're friends with to succeed
Good Benefits nice stepping stone to another company horrible for long term Career
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYMay 1, 2018
NPD has great benefits and is great if you want low base salary and a job with no career advancement. For the right person it is a good fit. If you are looking for long term success, its merely a stepping stone
Productive and Relaxed Work place
Operations Data Classification Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYMarch 13, 2018
The NPD Group has awesome employees, a great environment , and a lot of room for growth. It gives you a great schedule, provides a nice office space with a great cafeteria. I would suggest this company to anyone looking for longevity.
Lack of trust
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Very disappointed in the politics and favoritism which is obvious with some senior executives. The atmosphere is often very tense due to the lying and poor leadership of mid-level management.
Collaborative
Global Team Leader (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 23, 2018
You have the opportunity to advance your career if you are a top performer. I worked in numerous roles with the company and increased by compensation as a result.
not fun
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILFebruary 21, 2018
stretch conclusions had to be made to deliver product on market research for several segments. constantly changing the stats to meet customer requests
Pros
food and pay
Great introduction to Corporate World
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 1, 2018
I have worked at the NPD Group for the past few summers. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent here as I have not only learned a lot about the corporate culture and world, but also about myself. Being a Summer Associate, I was tasked with mostly mundane tasks that needed to be completed on a day-to-day basis. For example, I was tasked with managing the Internal Communication platform for the NPD Group when my manager went away on vacation. This taught me the importances of deadlines and organization. Overall working at the NPD Group was very beneficial and I enjoyed my time there very much.
Was great,
Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
Big cultural shift occurring as new CEO takes the reins. Was all about bettering the company and focused on individual contributions and team efforts. Now all bottom line - appears to be prepping books for sale to another company.
Healthy Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYOctober 11, 2017
On the positive side, the people are smart and encourage all levels to have a voice on new ideas. And on the negative side, the system infrastructure is not flexible, making implementation of ideas slow, if possible at all.
Pros
Healthy positive culture. Competitive Salary.
Cons
Not able to keep up with pace of the market; slow response to trends
The NPD Group
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYSeptember 11, 2017
The NPD Group is a great company to work for. Fast paced environment, constantly learning new skills, and the people are some of the best in the business to work with.
Interesting work, daily challenges, great coworkers
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2017
I have been with The NPD Group for 2+ years. I find it to be a forward-thinking, high-integrity organization and am very happy here. I agree with some of the other reviews that their isn't always room for advancement, but it does depend on your department. The management team is very thoughtful and transparent. My manager is amazing and I have learned so much from her. I am encouraged to be creative, try new ideas, and am empowered to make decisions. I feel respected and my contributions are valued. The benefits are sufficient and affordable. My only minor complaint is the salary and bonus structure. As a manager with a team, I don't have any say in their increases - I am just told what they are getting. I would like to have a stronger voice in the process.
Pros
work life balance, benefits, focused senior leadership
Cons
So much flexibility with working from home, satelite offices, etc that at times you feel disconnected with colleagues
Unsocial environment
Data Entry Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYMarch 21, 2017
Matching items to the producing company within different stores using an NPD specific program.Very quiet, people worked with their headphones on and it was uncomfortable to me.
A fine place to work on Long Island
Group Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYFebruary 28, 2017
NPD was a great place to get my career started. I still know plenty of people that have been there 20+ years. Eventually if you're there too long things kind of just stall out.
Coming from a low skill position I am happy with this company
Operations (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYSeptember 4, 2016
I have worked at NPD for less than a year. I am working in a part of the company that would be considered low skilled and less demanding when compared to other positions within the company. Right now I am very happy. In my position the environment is low stress and I am able to come in every day, get my work done, and go home. Currently my goal is to gain more computer skills in order to apply for a better position within the company. The only negative for me is I don't completely know how the company operates and what its goals are, I don't know what other people within the company do, I am not required to, but I wish they offered some more training and explanations of the company's many functions.
Pros
Relaxed dress code, good work life balance, cafeteria at location, nice people
Cons
Nothing bad, but I wish there was more of a path to advance.
Terrible company
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Port Washington, NYAugust 11, 2016
You are expected to deliver the result no matter what. But do not expect to get any support. No one really cares about you.
They can terminate you any time and in any way .
High turn over rate at this company. Not worth it if you want to have career at this company.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Long hours, boring suburb, crowded cubes.terrible corporate culture in general
Good place for junior employees
Manager of Development (Current Employee) –  Port Washington, NYJune 5, 2016
Its a great place to start your career. If you are a senior level employee then persue other options. As a senior developer i have not had any advancement of my knowledge or position. Manangers are junior and the staff is more knowledgeable.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Management is very junior and no place for growth.
Quite the Experience for a First Job
Manager (research) (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILJanuary 22, 2016
This was my first job and I was excited to start. From my interview experience, this place looked promising and a great start to a career. I was wrong. What they had me do was absolutely nothing at all similar to the job ad. I struggled. There was no training whatsoever, and the supervisor expected me to already know everything right away. Because I had no training, I created a vicious cycle where I would get projects wrong and my boss would get frustrated until I ended up feeling very inept. In essence, training is not in NPD's dictionary. They expect you to know everything right away---they threw all these acronyms at me as if I knew what they were already. On my first day, they threw a very complex project on my lap without any explanation on what it actually is, including what its acronym of a name stood for.

Because of disorganized restructuring that seems to be ongoing, the work they had me do was not at all what I was trained to do, so naturally I was not good at it, which annoyed my supervisor. It made me think of a quote from the movie Office Space: "...it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" (also, I hope you like the cubicle farm, because that's what you'll get---in their headquarters, there are almost no windows whatsoever, so it's a bunch of cubicles and tiny offices that are lit by halogen lights, which is pretty depressing). There's really no incentive unless you are in dire need of a superficial "you did it" corporate banner on your cubicle. There's no room for growth, and many young people see this as just a gig until they find something better.
  more... That is probably why there are few younger people in the office.

More importantly, at least to the people around me, there's no work-life balance. People work on weekends, on their time off; they come into work earlier to work and stay late. This is all because of mismanagement an a generally inept method of work. Things keep messing up and the employees have to cover the slack of the higher-ups. There is a high turnover, which is unsurprising, as no one looks truly happy. As others mentioned, there is no room for innovation. They stick to outdated procedures that aren't that great.

I should mention, however, that these experiences may differ from department to department, so I can't speak for all.

Finally, I will also say that the benefits are not too shabby.
Pros
Benefits are pretty good
Cons
No work-life balance, red tape, disorganization in the company with constant convoluted restructuring, high turnover