The Ohio State University Culture reviews

Productive and great place to work
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 12, 2019
Ohio State is a great place to work.
-Huge resources
-Smart people
-Fun environment
-Inexpensive lifestyle
-Beautiful city
-Nice food
-Friendly people
An engaging and fast paced place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 30, 2019
Ohio State University is a prestigious school that requires a strong work ethic. Working there provided me with an abundance of resources and mentors - it was an invaluable experience.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Competitive
I like working with people
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43210June 14, 2019
OSU is want of the best place to work, The Ohio state university have different culture, I enjoy working with my co-worker and manage my job was very easy.
A great place for research and creative enhancement
Arabic Language teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 6, 2019
Great place for research and creative advancement
Gave me a wide room to use creative and untraditional teaching methods
An amazing experience to communicate with students from different cultures and backgrounds
good place to work but need more hours
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  west campusJune 4, 2019
i like my job but i wish i would be scheduled more. the people i work with are great. the building feels safe to work in and the work is laid back. i recommend
Locked in job titles
Veterinary Anatomist/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 29, 2019
No room for advancement in some areas. Collaboration is great. People are great. Enjoy working here just don't feel appreciated. Supervisor was wonderful. Leadership has ivory tower attitude.
Pros
Collaboration
Cons
Advancement
My Team is Supportive and Down to Earth
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 20, 2019
My team is supportive, communicative and helps me grow here. My manager provides me with the tools to be an independent thinker and performer, and the university and college has great communication with each employee.
Favoritism present and very noticeable
Instructor of Clinical Practice (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 20, 2019
Workplace culture: oppressive, lack of clarity and oversight for faculty advancement

Management: lack of mentoring and oversight for advancing based on OSU expectations.

Hardest part of job: Dealing with a boss that yells at staff/faculty, shows favoritism, and non- collaborative with colleagues

Enjoyable part of job: Working with students.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Favoritism, people with less experience than faculty already in positions, faculty are hired into leadership positions with minimal experience.
Respectful workplace, great managers, very low pay
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 12, 2019
Typically I would go into work to care for turf involved in academic, formal studies conducted by research professors. I learned how to assess turf health, performance, consistency, diseases, and pests, as well as maintaining a healthy experimental plot indoors or outdoors. Management was just my professor and she was incredibly kind and reliable. Workplace culture was welcoming and I was offered a desk before leaving due to financial stress. The hardest part of the job was being able to make more than $50 a week and pay for rent, bills, groceries, insurances, and recreation. The most enjoyable part of the job was the welcoming academic environment in which my coworkers were in high competition with me.
Pros
Participating in horticultural research
Cons
Very few hours, very low pay, couldn't pay bills and go to school full time.
Great place to work for career advancement and learning opportunities
STUDENT NURSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2019
Typical RN day would consist of 12 hour shifts. Any and all types of nursing are offered at this company. There is a great orientation process to prepare one for the unit they would be working on. I feel that everyone had access to their unit management (responsiveness depended on the manager). The unit that I worked in had various volunteer opportunities such as serving in local soup kitchens and Habitat for Humanity. The culture of the unit was helpfulness and understanding. There was always constructive feedback. I worked on a critical care unit and the constant death could be difficult, along with distraught family members. But most days were good with a competent and fun staff.
Pros
Good benefits, overtime opportunities, shift differentials very high for the area
Cons
Parking
Wonderful place to work
ASSET MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 2, 2019
Absolutely wonderful place to work. All of the employees are incredible and the atmosphere is amazing. Minimal supervision is required and the office is a great environment. Would recommend this to others.
Great institution to work for.
HR Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2019
Working at The Ohio State University is a privilege. It is an amazing institution with endless opportunities and rewards. The ability to grow as a professional and individual is priceless.
Pros
Benefits, upper mobility, education.
Cons
Culture in some departments.
Politics are invasive
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2019
Working for a university means politics enters the decision-making process of the police department management. And they try to be all things to all people and are consequently not good at much of what they take on.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor Leadership
Good place
Human Resource Associate/Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 13, 2019
Culture seemed to change depending on who what in charge
Great people and resources to work with on a daily basis
management left to your own devices.
Great Place to Work if you want to create your own career
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 11, 2019
The Ohio State University is an amazing place to work. However, career progression is a personal endeavor. Do not expect corporate culture in career development.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No training at the higher levels. Career path is tough for younger employees.
Fun
Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2019
Great place fun atmosphere with students. Very flexible with scheduling and understanding when you have exams. Great managers and fun learning environment.
loved my Job
Sr. Network/Wireless/Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2019
Collaboration. “I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission. ...
Work-Life Balance. “I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job. ...
Autonomy. “I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. ...
Variety. ...
Culture. ...
Challenge. ...
Helping Others.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the drive to Columbus
Opportunities and culture vary
Graduate Recruiting & Admissions (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2019
I attended Ohio State for my gradaute education and after working in corporate, decided to work at Ohio State because I enjoyed my experience as a student. As a large University with multiple colleges and organizational units, each with their own leadership, there is a significant variance in productivity, leadership, and opportunity. If you are interested in applying here, it will be important to request specific details on what advancement opportunties exist and how your performance is measured (because it is not consistent!)

Working at Ohio State may be beneficial for someone looking to take advantage of staff/faculty/dependent tuition reimbursement because it is one of the few places that does not require you to "pay it back" after education has been completed.

Working here for almost 6 years, I have come to realize that there are perks that exist within the private sector that don't easily transfer to the public sector because the focus is often on research or faculty-- not staff. Mainly, staff have issues with culture, high workload, a lack of accountability, and a lack of advancement opportunties. It takes a longtime to backfill a role when there is turnover, so many individuals end up feeling overworked and leave themselves. Salaries do not meet private sector market averages, and many employees end up needing to "go to grow." Those who are most productive leave within 10 years, while those who are least productive will stay until they retire.
Pros
Staff/faculty/dependent tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low salaries; lack of advancement opportunities; lack of accountability
There are better security jobs out there
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 24, 2019
Odd co-workers: competitive and back-stabbing, always tattling and conspiring to get people in trouble or fired- all so they can scoop-up your hours and get some overtime.

Dead-end, boring, repetitive work. Managers are strange: clueless; territorial; judgmental; immature. It's not team work: it's favoritism; cliques; back-stabbing. Facilities are old and run-down. Lazy, resentful student co-workers who show-up late and call off when they feel like it- and management looks the other way.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Expensive parking; low pay; depressing environment; pseudo-law enforcement uniforms
Loved it
Lab Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2019
Wish could of had a full time job there, the work environment is awesome. The management is really personable and the work was really easy. Just do your work and you'll love it to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Ohio State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

29%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

29%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss