The Opportunity Alliance Employee Reviews

Almost 50 social service based programs! Love the work you do because it's helping our community!
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEAugust 13, 2018
If you are passionate about working for an organization that has a huge impact on the community around us - TOA is the place for you! Our organization boasts almost 50 programs available to our neighbors ranging from youth and adult mental health services, to early childhood education and crisis intervention and prevention. I feel good about coming to work here everyday because even though my role is more administrative and not in the field, per say, I know I am having a direct impact on my community and its a great feeling.
Pros
admin building is beautiful, easily accessible from 295, great benefits package with PTO and 403(b) with employer match
Cons
A work place where you can feel good about what you do.
Residential Technician at The Bridge (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 25, 2018
You get to work with and alongside amazing people! Although challenging you are supported by supervisors and your team. From TOA you are able to connect with other organizations and form relationships as a provider that may be helpful in future employment.
Interesting place to work
CRMA, MHRT-1, MHSS, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEDecember 3, 2017
I work for this company as a case manager. It was nice not to be stuck behind a desk for 8 hours a day. I met with several people daily which made the day go by quicker.

The most difficult part of the job was having to meet a certain amount of units per week and your clients cancelling on you.
great professinal co-workers
case worker, treatment level case manangement (Former Employee) –  Portland MaineNovember 27, 2017
I have been in connection with the agency as it started as Youth Alternatives, I am proud to say that I continue to have contact with co-workers. Always have loved the focus to aiding families with their support across all their programs. Everyone I have been in contact with have always had a caring heart to those we are working with and a commitment to their clients and those working and connected to the child or family. The family umbrella was always respected. no matter how difficult.
A great place to work at with great people, I can't say enough to express this. I would recommend connection to any programs and those who work the difficult task of working with the public.
Pros
Bennifits
Cons
Family need took me away.
good cause
Teacher (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MENovember 4, 2017
OA cares about its clients, and giving them what they need. It felt good working for an organization that truly was mission driven. Not a lot of places are truly that way any more.
Team leader Accounts Receiveables
Team Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEAugust 18, 2017
Managed receiveables for residential programs. Strong relationship with DHHS to fund programs. Assist payables with posting and check printing. Reviewed reports with program managers.
Pros
Flexible hours, Benefits
Cons
Location, software system
Not much to say.
Client Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJune 6, 2017
Too many changes, poor communication. Co-workers are very supportive of each other. Strive to always put client needs first, budget cuts can prevent that.
Senior management is the worst
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Maine, MEJune 5, 2017
Total disconnect between management and he mission and specifically supporting direct care staff in the difficult work they do every day with very little pay. The atmosphere is somewhat hostile and people walk around on egg shells. It's very dysfunctional and you only "make" it if the CEO and senior management like you and like means regurgitating company policy and forcing productivity. HR runs the agency in a way of managing risk and quick to blame as they sit in their ivory tower enjoying benefits they deny the peon workers. They are completely disrespectful to the compassionate people who work with clients focusing only on bottom line. Watch your back at this agency.
Pros
Direct line staff
Cons
Senior management
Worst place to work!!!
Cannot say (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 27, 2017
Worst place I ever worked.
They will through you under the bus first chance they get.
Management are out for themselves and only care about keeping their jobs. They make life awful for their staff.
Management is failing their staff. Very top heavy , but do not give back to the people that do all the work. The President is provided a free vehicle and they pay for his parking fines.
Pros
Some of the staff
Cons
Good people, rewarding work, poor leadership
Residential Technician (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEFebruary 24, 2017
Management seems to lack the skills necessary to manage people well. There are many skilled clinicians and front-liner workers at the company that do good work, however, the good work does not seem to trickle up to management. For a helping profession, the agency does not take good care of its employees well-being.
Pros
dedicated front line staff and clinicians
Cons
management, human resources

Want to know more about The Opportunity Alliance?

Ask a question
Large agency that compensates well with room for advancement
CSS, Adult Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 15, 2017
The Opportunity Alliance is a large agency that offers numerous opportunities to those seeking a position in human services. The management is supportive and the atmosphere is one of hard work and dedication,
great place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 17, 2017
Yes, working for any non-profit these days, especially in the human services sector, is difficult. Budget cuts are the norm which translates into program cuts, loss of services, loss of jobs, heartache. But, The Opportunity Alliance is extremely resourceful and seems to be dedicated to keeping its good employees on board whatever happens at the state and federal level.

This agency also is well integrated into the community with a lot of cutting edge place-based community/neighborhood work that is very exciting. The agency is also very serious about having a positive impact on the community in the work that it does.

In terms of working environment, my supervisor really worked with me around a flexible schedule when I needed it. And, the benefits are exceptional.

The pay is typical for this type of non-profit, not great, but on par with every other social services/behavioral health agency in this area.
Pros
Benefits, work environment, individualized attention, great people
Cons
budget cuts are a constant threat
great place to gain experience.
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJuly 22, 2016
I did volunteer work here for a short period of time, but gained some experience and the people are really nice. I enjoyed doing the mail, Feeding the mail through the mail meter and putting the correct amount of postage on.
Typical reidential program
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 14, 2016
The company is out of business. No longer employed. It was a typical residential program. The CEO had no idea what to do and ran it down to the ground.
Large company
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 14, 2016
I don't have much to say about OA .Large non profit company. My area allowed us to make our own schedules which is nice. I felt there was some burn out with the case load sizes.
Highly corporatized non profit
Call Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineOctober 19, 2015
Non profits aren't what they used to be. Now you have corporate salaries at the top. The takers will claim their salaries are in-line with their peers. Doesn't make it right. The fallout is that workers in the trenches barely make a living wage. Some people are kind there. Others form cliques and backstab the outsiders. There are cubicle wars too. Some just love the drama. And some in power pretend they don't make mistakes as they point fingers. Ugly hypocrisy. The word, team, is just lip service. Don't believe it.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Cliques and backstabbing in the trenches--cubicle wars, stepping over people to get ahead.
good company
Case Manager/Residential Crisis Worder (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 26, 2015
They genuinely care about the populations that we serve. Unfortunately they are not able to pay appropriately for the work we do; due to budget constraints. Overall a good company.
New experience for someone expanding in the mental health field.
Residential Services Technician/CRMA (Former Employee) –  Portland MaineMay 30, 2015
Management was difficult to work with at times. Co workers were helpful and welcoming. Working with teenagers with mental illness was a very insightful learning experience.
Pros
Great benefits, 3 days off a week
Cons
Management, 13 hours with no breaks, low pay
Good training support provided to staff
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 22, 2013
The only thing constant at The Opportunity Alliance is change.
Incredible team of professionals and support personnel; committed to the community and population served
Director of Licensing & Compliance (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MaineAugust 1, 2012
Small Quality department with high demand. I provided consultation to all programs and service areas as well as administrative departments regarding State, Federal, local regulatory requirements and agency policies as well as supported programs in policy and procedure content with final writing responsibility. Routine monitoring of programs-sites and documentation as well as preparing and supporting staff for regulatory authority inspections. Developed Corrective Action Plans as needed, negotiated with regulatory authorities and provided interpretation and assistance to program administrators in meeting compliance standards. Responded to client complaints and helped to negotiate satisfactory outcomes. Conducted investigations as needed. Researched legal requirements (regulations, accreditation standards and statutes) to educate and guide administrators in future expectations or to resolve confusion or dispute.
Hardest part of job: too little time and many needs.
Most enjoyable: researching and analyzing information and working with great managers, directors and line staff providing consultation and education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Opportunity Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about