The Original Pancake House Employee Reviews

Fast Paced and Enjoyable
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 19, 2019
You are required to move as fast as possible to keep customers satisfied. I enjoy fast paced, so It was fun to be constantly moving. This is a family owned business so everything you need to know is right in your little restaurant.
Hostile work environment
High volume server, large parties or 2-tops (Former Employee) –  Huntington beachSeptember 7, 2019
There was is no career here, the other servers were no help, and also sabotage others. The worst place I have ever worked. There is no moving up, and you stay in your section until some quits.
Pros
Tips are good, cooks are fun
Cons
Other servers, Lots of gossip
Cook (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 3, 2019
Loved the fact i got to start early open the restaurant set everything up for the day and for the next day people are very friendly very helpful during the first year i received three rises based on my performance
Tough place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fairview Park, OHAugust 28, 2019
Always new managers and new rules they like to pick out one special person for time off and overlooking what they do and then everyone else feels like their job is always on the line
Pros
Good money
Cons
Different managers all the time
Good place
Host/Server/Busser (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 22, 2019
I enjoyed working here. There is a good balance between interacting with worworkers and having a good time, as well as getting work done and serving guest.
Management was unorganized
Back Waiter (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 22, 2019
During my time employed there, I felt the environment was overwhelmed with intimidation from the assistant manager. They would make you feel uncomfortable about calling in sick although the majority of the clientele in the establishment were in one way or another connected to people with compromised immune systems; whether it was due to age or illness.
Incredibly fun and flexible place to work, where I was challenged to grow in more ways than I expected.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 19, 2019
I have absolutely adored working at The Original Pancake House. It's where my passion for Business was ignited and where I truly learned to appreciate working with and for people. I learned to genuinely love moving and encouraging employees to grow in any area they're working in and to do everything with excellence.
Poor management, poor training
Server (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 19, 2019
Manager seemed reasonable during hiring process. Totally different when actually working for him. I personally believe he is racist and a narcissist. Unorganized, improper training. He has favorites amongst employees. He has a very nasty attitude and doesn't know how to talk to his employees. Very unprofessional. Should not own nor run a business.
nice upscale place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 16, 2019
The owners / manager were very cruel and unfair when I made manager it really become more stressful. They thought they were better then anyone. One of the owners cheats on his wife and got caught almost got into trouble while the were in Portland Or. for messing with a under age girl. Had to leave the state before charges were forced upon him
Pros
a job
Cons
owner
Hectic at times
Guest Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 14, 2019
Servers seem to do what ever they want with no real repercussions. End of the day cleaning isn't done properly. Customers don't come for the food, which is plain.
Pros
One employee meal free or discounted
Cons
Managers can't control servers
Excellent Money
Server (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 10, 2019
I loved my job at the pancake house, I made great money and liked my coworkers, my only issue was I didn’t have enough shifts. I loved making good money and being off by 3 and being home a night with my family, wished I could have had a few more shifts to make it work.
Pros
Great money, great coworkers
Cons
Not enough shifts
Slow paced company
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLAugust 6, 2019
This was literally me getting my feet wet as we all know finding a waiter job isn’t hard but they’ve seemed to only care about trained people not people they had to help.
excellent owners to work for....cared about their employees, even outside work
Lead Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 5, 2019
the owners were a wonderful couple to work for.....it was EXTREMELY busy every wkend.....great working experience. Very good benefits. Time-off was acrued, and you could have the option of "cashing out". Take the money instead.
Terrible
Server (Former Employee) –  Woodmere, OHAugust 5, 2019
I used to work here the managers are discriminatory and play favorites and then one was fired for stealing a lot of money like thousands this place paid good but the treatment I couldn’t take it
Good money, Terrible owners and management.
Server (Former Employee) –  Upper Arlington, OHJuly 27, 2019
Clientele is great however the managers expect you to be able to read their mind about what they want. Not good at giving negative feedback, won't say anything to you until they want to terminate about issues during shifts. Very unprofessional, will terminate an employee over the phone. All servers there have been there since opening and have their family members come and work here which causes politics within the restuaurant. You get no discount at all when you come in not working to eat. Have to prepare half of your dishes and pre sets yourself with little help. Manager thinks she is above helping servers when it comes to running food.
Pros
Clientele and tips
Cons
everything else
Fast paced job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 24, 2019
This job is for those who like a fast paced demanding work environment. It is good money but you have to be willing to work every holiday and weekend.
Run for the hills
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2019
Managment and the owner is horrid. If you're not family management treats you horrible. If you have anything to say that isn't good news you won't last. Please stay away from 104 western and 108Cicero locations.
Pros
Descent money
Cons
If you aren't family and a suck up you're in for a difficult road.
Worae restaurant to work in
Cashier/server/hostess/runner/expediter/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILJune 6, 2019
Poor management. Tips were pooled amongst servers, busses, drink assistance (unnecessary),the cashiers and food runners. Manager had the idea that he wants to give the cooks a part of the servers tips because "they work hard." Definitely unfair. Manager overworked everyone and had them do side jobs. Such as pulling out weeds in the parking lot and shoveling snow. Don't work there! No benefits at all.
Pros
None. Lol. Free lunch
All for One Atmosphere
Restaurant Server/Server Trainer (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 31, 2019
While I genuinely liked & trusted a couple of people I worked with, and liked that it closed at 3:00pm, allowing me free evenings, I was not happy at this job.

There are going to be co-workers who bullies and undercutters, w rude attitudes everywhere and this place is full to the brim.

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, they do not help you transfer to another Original Pancake House if you were moving & the town had one.

And there is absolutely no chance of career growth w this particular O.P.H. It's privately owned, not actually franchised; therefore I do not believe they have to be in accordance with corporate. I am not sure. I am sure, however that I do not remember seeing a corporate number posted or anything to that effect.

Money wasn't good because of favoritism and they do not rotate sections whatsoever. So certian people get a great money making section every single day and other people are stuck in a known terrible section and are barely scraping by every single day.
Pros
Couple cool people
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work at becaise of good team members, free lunch too
Dishwasher/Pots &Pans (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2019
They required more work of the employee, did not pay overtime but paid you straight pay over 40hrs, The store at that time closed at 2pm and employees were allowed to work cleaning up up to 3pm .Free lunch, free drinks
Cons
No form of insurance benefit, straight hourly pay even if over 40hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Original Pancake House. Our community is ready to answer.