The Orvis Company Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with basketball court
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  VALDOSTA, GASeptember 30, 2018
I enjoyed my time at The Orvis Co., we were all like family. I began working there as a young man & grew up into this company/ I learned to build doors & windows there & also learned to supervise as well. There was nothing really hard about this job, there were just always a new task or challenge each week with the request from customers to build units to there specs which I enjoyed very much. The most enjoyable part of the job was accomplishing the task each & every day,
Pros
1 Hr lunch
Cons
Pay rate
A different atmosphere when i went to work for this company i came from manufacturing to retail enjoyed the people i worked with
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 18, 2018
a different world is the Orvis Company. owners were nice my managers were great alot of incentives to earn certificates that could be used to buy from the catalog
Pros
sometimes during Christmas when the company is the most busy
Cons
short breaks only at Christmas
Best retail spot in the country, corporate is stifling.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, VTJune 27, 2018
Simply put, working for Orvis is not like other retail gigs. The company pushes excellence in creating memorable customer experiences, which has contributed immensely to my interpersonal skills. That being said, the corporate office can make questionable marketing decisions and seems to be disconnected with the general retail family.
Pros
meet interesting people, true connection with customers, dogs
Cons
corporate won't get out of the way, expectations are unreasonable for most retail workers
Poor management
Retail manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
If you like to be a puppet on a string this is the job for you. If you are up for poor training, poor management and backstabbing behavior then you will love it !
Pros
Good products good discounts
Cons
Very poor management very “clicky” too much like high school
Nice environment with good perks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WAFebruary 23, 2018
Orvis is a good place to work if you are interested in fishing and/or working with great co-workers. The environment is conducive to a good work-life balance.
Wonderful place to work
Manufacturing & Industrial Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, VTSeptember 20, 2017
I loved working for Orvis. It was an incredible internship to have and I would recommend Orvis to any and everybody who has a passion for fly fishing.
Great place to work, hard to advance, company loves its employees
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 31, 2017
Easily the best job I've ever had!

Probably one of the best paying retail jobs out there.

The company takes care of its employees.

Employees get a very generous discount.
Pros
Great insurance, great discounts, great leadership
Great company!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 9, 2017
Orvis is an all around great company to work for. The company cares about it's employees and ensures you are set up to succeed. The hardest part of the job, at least in customer service, is dealing with difficult customers, but that's just a part of customer service.
CSR its crazy clients but amazing coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24012May 30, 2017
Clock in, go to your desk and start taking inbound calls for selling of clothing items and or fishing. Knowledge of the items we carry is a must and you need to familiarize yourself with them.
Pros
lunch breaks half hour smoke breaks 15 mins
Cons
sometimes your lunch breaks and breaks will be cut and u only get 2 per 8hr shift
Great productive environment to work
IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manchester, VTJanuary 30, 2017
Great management and atmosphere. Always enjoy coming into work. Everyone in the building is like a large family. With the growth in the company they have done a great job of finding talent that is really driving the products and company name.
Pros
Cons
N/a
great people to work with
Packer (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 16, 2016
Average warehouse packing job.,very fast paced enviroment.
Learned how to pack.Good management and good co-workers.Hard to stand on your feet at times, but very rewarding job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay.
customer service call center-inbound
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2016
The Orvis company is a Great seasonal job ! great hours very flexible. Fast pace workplace.. great employee perks such as discounts and special in house promotions
Pros
long breaks, complete work shifts
Cons
seasonal
Great if you are in "the club," all others should beware
Web Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, VTOctober 5, 2015
MIddle management has a strong tendency to show favoritism, and based on what I saw this is not a concern for HR. There is a "type" of person that seems to do well at this company, and it has nothing to do with work ethic or job performance. If you don't fit their "image," good luck improving your station within the company.

There was a lot of incivility in the workplace at Orvis. Rudeness was common, even from team managers.

Executive level management was often out of touch. Upper management considered the web to be "new technology," and could not understand why customers want to shop on mobile. Not good signs for a company whose web store is keeping the business alive.
Benefits
Cons
Out of touch leadership, unprofessional atmosphere, little or no opportunity for advancement.
Wonderful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 1, 2015
Orvis has been one of my favorite jobs to work at. The employees are like a huge family, willing to help each other learn and grow. Always a wonderful energy in the building.
Autonomy
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 25, 2015
Self-directed work with operations (Fulfillment, Customer Contact Center, Logistics, and General Management) for the company.

Participated in monthly alignment meetings/assignments with other functional areas of the company such as Marketing, IT, channel managers, and inventory.
Pros
Learning experiences working with vice presidents and directors
Cons
Compensation - benefits
Productive place to work where I can use my passion and knowledge for fly fishing.
Men's lead and Key holder (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORJune 18, 2015
A typical day at work involves working closely with customers, receiving new product, sales, supervising employees and merchandising. I have learned how to teach fly fishing to newcomers to the sport. I have learned how to train new and current employees. I learned how to plan and promote events using social media. I increased my knowledge and skills in merchandising products and how to place new merchandise in areas that will increase sales as well as sales of the surrounding products. The hardest part of the job is merchandising. It was difficult to learn and determine how to organize the store and create displays that will maximize sales. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to customers about fly fishing which is my passion. It was very enjoyable to teach fly fishing to different individuals.
Pros
Work in fly fishing industry
Cons
Low pay, few options in upward movement in the area.
Great Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Freeport, MEApril 23, 2015
I enjoyed the people I worked with. It is a great company with great employees. I love the products we sell and love the experiences I had.
Great place to work!
Assistant Store and Fishing Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 24, 2015
It's great to work for a company that really understand the concept of "internal customer." My experiences range from teaching thousands how to enjoy the sport of fly-fishing to creating my own marketing campaigns and hosting dozens of special events, schools, trade shows and clinics. My management of large teams prepares me for any employer in their respective competitive industries, bottom line.
Nice Products but poor training
Part time Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  VAJanuary 22, 2015
Excellent products but poor management, training, and compensation
Pros
Good product discount
Cons
Low wages and inconsistent hours
Excellent Experience
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 13, 2015
-Conduct sales and new sales
-Carry out administrative duties
-Implement and oversee the social media marketing strategy
-Expanded my sales experience and strategy, learned how to better engage potential new business and how to market through social media
-My co-workers were supportive and knowledgable, they made my learning curve steeply rise
-The hardest part of the job was swaying a customer on the fence about a purchase to do so without being pushy or negating their other transactions
-The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to engage with new customers and build a customer base of loyal clients during my short time with the company
Pros
Flexible but long hours, competitive pay and great atmosphere