The Palmer Group Employee Reviews

Good people, low pay and no benefits.
Credit Bureau Dispute Associate (Current Employee) –  west des moines, iaDecember 11, 2017
The people are wonderful and work very hard to find you a position, but they pay no vacation days, have poor/no insurance benefits. It is a good short-term solution to finding a job, but without vacation(PTO) and little to no health insurance it's not a serious career choice.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay, Pto, Health Insurance
Productive and fun work place, goal oriented and rewarded
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 27, 2017
Palmer Group is wonderful company to work for with rewards for goals met and competitive salary. Had I not had to relocate for my husband's job, I would still be working there.
contract work only
Group Medical Underwriter Contractor (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 24, 2017
contractor work, not guaranteed to hire on permanently. did not work inside palmer, they contracted me out to principal financial group who then discontinued my contract after 4 months
Pros
recruiter was a great communicator
Cons
contract work with no benefits and low pa
Temp agency
Operations Processor 3 (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 7, 2017
Palmer group was a temp agency that placed my in my position at Wells Fargo.I was at temp at Wells Fargo I was a temp for approximately 6 months before I got hired on full time.
I will say...
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 23, 2017
They have certain contracts that they fill. And others that they just fill in - so no real way to find long term employment unless they pick you for their special contract with a banking institution in the area
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Pick faves
Great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 24, 2017
Great temp service. Got a job within a week and ended up last g until my contract was up and ended up getting hired on through the company they placed me at. All very nice employee friendly people!
Pros
Great managemet, got a job easily, great pay amd benifets
Cons
Temp job - not guranteed
Unethical
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAApril 17, 2017
My experience was great, until my first temp job ended. I was told by both Palmer Group and the company I worked at that there was not as much work as they had expected therefore, the job was over. Two months went by and I wasn't being offered anything. When I finally, in desperation, asked if there was something I could do to make myself more marketable I was told that because the previous company let me go due to my unsatisfactory speed, it would be hard to place me.
I was shocked and astounded! I had purposely checked in with my supervisor every week to get feedback. I was never told I was too slow. It was suggested that with time I would get faster, but no other comments were ever made.
I told the person at Palmer Group that I would have to take a day or two to process this as I am not used to being lied to by a temp agency, nor a company I am working for!
In light of the dishonesty, I chose to stop working with Palmer Group. I was deeply disappointed as they had come with such high recommendations from others.
I will not work with them in the future because, sadly, I do not trust them.
I sincerely hope that this was some sort of a one-off, fluke as I would shudder to think this is just another day in the world of business at Palmer Group. I wish everyone great success with them should you choose to work with them. I, unfortunately, will not be.
Pros
Great tips on getting the job (what to say, etc.), seemed to be very caring, provided lunch for us a couple of times.
Cons
Found it necessary to lie to me. Unethical at best. Felt like I'd been thrown under the bus. Then, for all intents and purposes, they basically dropped me. I was still listed on their roster, but no interviews or other offers ever came.
Fantastic Place to Work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 19, 2016
Love working here. The culture is second to none and the people are phenomenal. They really encourage growth and job development. The job is hard work but is very rewarding. Palmer Group is a great place to have fun while working as well.
Useless company
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 30, 2016
Found a position Palmer Group posted for a job in my area, needing my exact skill set, and the person at Palmer that I interviewed with acted clueless about it. Tried to redirect me to a certain large bank in the area instead. They also said they'd look for more information on the original position I was interested in and that they'd call me the next day but I never heard back. Went through the interview process, skill testing, and background check and again, never heard back. Apparently if you have a college degree and 15+ years of experience, they don't want you as an employee. Total waste of time.
Pros
Good practice for interviews
Cons
Everything else but practicing interviews
Great place to start your career.
Operations Analyst - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 30, 2015
Palmer was the agency that contracted me to Wells Fargo. Great people. Provided me with a quick placement and my contact at the company was pleasant to work with. Palmer is always my first call when I have a friend who needs a job placement.
Pros
Quick job placement
Employment Agency
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 8, 2015
They only provide temporary positions. But they were able to keep me employed part time/temporary until I needed to take time off the have both of my knees replaced.
People are numbers not valued employees
Contractor-Utilization Management Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2015
Had a very bad experience working for The Palmer Group. They don't care about their employees or their health. The recruiter I worked with lacked empathy or support for the people she managed.
Awful
None (Former Employee) –  Des Moines,IAFebruary 12, 2015
I came in for a bait and switch interview. I applied for a position, came in and they told me I wasn't qualified. Then they tried to force me into taking a temp position by scaring me saying I wouldn't find another job. Two days later I got a call from another company for the same position and am in the process of being hired. I understand sales but scaring people and lying is no way to go about it. Totally unprofessional and a waste of time. They did not bother to explain any of the steps or why I was filling out tax forms and background checks until I asked. They are totally untransparent with their business.
Consulting company in recreational development
Founder and President (Former Employee) –  Tucson AZSeptember 24, 2014
Assisting others to make their organization more productive
Working for new clients
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 31, 2014
The best part of the job was working for the client as I was able to meet a lot of interested people that was with the company for 20 plus years. After I was on the assignment for 3 months, I was able to take on more responsibilities from several different people. The hardest part of leaving was it was a company that I honestly felt like it was a home and not just a paycheck when the assignment ended.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Job availability once contracts have ended.
temp agency
HUD reimbursement (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 12, 2014
I overall had a good experience with Palmer. They were very quick to help find placement but unhelpful with advancement opportunities or additional education.
Pros
quick placement
Cons
impersonal contact
Great temp agency.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2014
The people you work with that help you find jobs are very nice and it seems like they really try to place you as soon as they can. However, the last two jobs I've had through there have ended abruptly. The first one was my mistake, while the second one decided to lay me off due to work slowing down. With absolutley no warning whatsoever. I know that's not The Palmer Group's fault but its now been over a month of me looking for work and struggling with bills. So there's just very little stability.
Pros
Decent pay, nice people.
Cons
Little to no stability.
Very helpful management, found jobs quickly
Clerical Temporary (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 1, 2014
Temporary Assignment at Equifax:
Verification of Employment calls for people getting a loan or mortgage.
Management: Very helpful
Learned: Phone skills, Customer Service, Uploading odcuments
Co-workers were friendly and helpful
Hardest part of job: Keeping up production levels
Most Enjoyable: Speaking with people from all over the US.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Healthcare is secondary insurance.
Not impressed with placement at all.
Job Applicant (Former Employee) –  Des Moines Metro AreaJune 16, 2013
Forget this place if you're a college graduate. They have very few entry-level jobs for educated professionals and tend to gear everyone to a certain large bank in the area and other data entry sweatshops. Returning calls was poor which is pretty typical for any temp agency. I didn't get hired due to being overly educated, in my opinion. When I needed work I took that interview opportunity and was turned down. I asked for feedback and was given a call back saying how they're "pursuing other candidates at this time" because "it doesn't sound like you're excited about these jobs and want ones that are." All that just for asking for feedback? If I do say so myself, I did not have demeanor issues, only being a person looking for work and survival in a very rough economy.
Mixed.
Loan specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 23, 2013
They really try hard to place you as quickly as possible - with that said - make sure you accept a position that you truly believe you will be able to do/are interested in. They will tell you that if you find out the position isn't right for you that they will work with you to find something else but that isn't true. You are stuck where you get placed and due to contract issues and ethics (?) they won't work with you to find a different assignment.

They have a very hands off approach after you get hired. You will not hear from them unless you contact them directly.

They will also tell you anything you want to hear about your assignment. If they say people generally get hired on permanently at your assignment in 3-6 months - add one year to that (at least).
Pros
fast placement
Cons
dishonest information