The Paper Store Employee Reviews

Showing up to work before management then being penalized for not waiting out in the cold for them .
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJJune 22, 2019
I worked at paper store winter of 2017-2018 . I was opening shift I would be there before their managers, & have to call somebody . They would either be late or not know what was going on . If I would leave to sit in my car they would be upset and say I was late .
Pros
Food good quality things
Cons
Awkward work place, very judge mental place, unfair management.
yikes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Swampscott, MAJune 6, 2019
manager/boss was insane. would closely monitor the camera feeds and blow up on us if she saw any of us so much as speak to one another on the video.

actually working on the floor and not staying holed up in your office, monitoring the camera feed, you might realize that customers like to see employees talk and join in on conversations. it builds a relationship which boosts business...
Pros
discount on items that were ridiculously overpriced anyways, easy
Cons
low pay, horrible management, cliquey
June 10, 2019

Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. We take your concerns seriously and want to understand the situation in order to make the necessary changes to improve the work environment. Thank you.

Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 29, 2019
Working here was very dull and boring for me. If you’re the type of person who needs to always be kept busy, this place isn’t for you. They slack on training which prevents you from furthering your knowledge of the company.
relaxed environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAMay 23, 2019
The Paper Store is a great company to work for if it is a full time position. If you are part time youll find yourself looking for another task to do constantly. All in all it is a good company to work for.
Cons
short breaks
June 10, 2019

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with The Paper Store. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

great
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMay 22, 2019
I just started at this job, but so far I have meet really great people, and a really great environment. Everybody wants to help each other it is great.
May 28, 2019

It is nice to hear that you are enjoying your job at our East Hanover store. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Horrible Manager
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAMay 20, 2019
I really enjoyed my job at The Paper Store and would have kept it if not for the overbearing manager. She expected me as a 16 year old to keep customers from stealing by constantly watching over them to the point where they would look uncomfortable. She would yell at me and degrade me in front of customers, telling me that I should be greeting them even when I had already greeted everyone in the store. She wanted me to push help on customers that had previously declined my offer of help. I liked all the other employees except her and the other employees would act much different (happier) when she was on vacation or out for the day. She would have me vacuum with a broken vacuum and get mad when the floors weren't clean even after I had told her time and time again that it was broken.
Cons
poor management
May 28, 2019

I am very sorry to hear that your employment in our former Braintree location was not a positive experience. Human Resources is available to support our employees throughout their tenure with us. We are available by phone or email for employees to voice concerns or ask for assistance. We take all concerns very seriously and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review.Thank you.

Corporate does not let managers have pay or hour control .
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIApril 27, 2019
The Paper Store is a great store! Something for everyone! Corporate is starting to focus more on beating out the competition and less on the customer.
They are forgetting what made them special!
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours after Christmas staff kept and budget cut.
May 7, 2019

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your co-workers in our Smithfield location. We also appreciate feedback on what we can do differently. Please email me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Poor Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 21, 2019
TPS was a fun place to work at first but quickly went downhill. Corporate runs the stores with daily tasking that borders on ridiculous. Some days they allow a 12 person team to run the store, the next day only 5. Sometimes whole shifts are cut at the last minute because sales are down. Micromanaging by corporate is running this one-time great store into the ground.
Pros
Discount on purchases
Cons
Corporate micromanaging, no overtime, hours cut at last minute

All downhill from here
Employee (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIApril 21, 2019
The Paper Store used to be known for its small company "mom and pop" feel. Sadly, as it has grown, it has become just like any other corporation - with all the ugliness one can expect from a retail job.
Pros
Great for a brief seasonal job to pick up some extra money. Not a terrible place to work, just not especially great.
Cons
So focused on sales that employees are not treated as people.

Immature store team leader
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJApril 18, 2019
The company itself is not so bad. Upper management was fair and professional. A great place to shop. My manager/Store YTeam Leader was immature, inappropriate, untruthful, unprofessional and cliquish. After being hurt, by him, on the job...he would not show me a copy of the report until I really pushed for it. At the time he injured me, he said he did not and that he was injured, them pulled it back. After that I was given the silent treatment and started looking for another job.
Pros
Fair vacation, sick days. Store discount. Reasonable upper mgmnt.
Cons
Immature STL and cliquish environment.
May 7, 2019

Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. We take your concerns very seriously. Thank you.

Dead end.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Acton, MAApril 2, 2019
The only feedback is negative feedback. Horrible pay. Oblivious scheduling. The CYA atmosphere shakes the bonds of staff. Big blame game. Don't worry about anyone talking about you behind your back, BECAUSE NO DOUBT, THEY ARE!
April 9, 2019

Productive work place. Everyone was nice.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Millbury, MAMarch 28, 2019
I liked working there. It helped me with my job experience and to show what my adult life will be like. They gave me work to do that I did not feel was to much. I did everything they needed me to.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Short breaks
April 9, 2019

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time in our Millbury store. It is good to hear that you gained experience that was helpful to you. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Fun Place
Part Time MOD (Current Employee) –  Wareham, MAMarch 25, 2019
Usually a fun place to work. Schedule work hours go up & down.
Great place to work your customer skills.
Customers always come first. You are taught how to make the customer experience the best it can be.
April 9, 2019

We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with our team in Wareham and we certainly appreciate your commitment to our customer's experience.Thank you for all you do.

Very Nice for The Most Part
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hudson, MAMarch 19, 2019
The only reason I left The Paper Store was that I did not receive enough work hours, and pay is minimum wage. Also, preferred not to work weekends.

I have skills that I could rely on, so sought out more hours that I could count on as, I felt that if I was going to work I wanted to be able to count on a certain pay range.

However, I must say that everyone I worked with were very nice, and it is a pleasant atmosphere in which to work.
Pros
Nice fellow workers and enjoyed meeting customers
Cons
Not enough hours given, so could not count on a regular pay amount
April 9, 2019

Thank you for the feedback. There are certain times of the year when business is slower and therefore, there are less hours available to schedule. We understand that can be difficult for our part-time employees. We are glad to hear that overall, you enjoyed working in our Hudson store and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Infortunately deadend position
Ops Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Somerset, MAMarch 14, 2019
The people I worked with(associate) were great. I was asked to stay on after being a seasonal associate and was asked to become ops manager. I was
Excited to learn and and was looking to grow .However ,I stayed but learned very little. The manager and visual manager were glued at the hips and mainly ran the show. Leaving no room to learn or include anyone in anything other than ringing register . I was confused at time who the actual manager was by the way the store was being run. I was trained on receiving shipment and that's it.. when I knew it entailed so much more. I feel that it was a 2 person team,.when there at least 12 people working there
It was an odd store to be apart of at times. I feel that form of managing will definetly make it hard for anyone to move forward should they want if the visual manager and manager are doing everything.
Pros
Great associates
Cons
Managers, hours
April 9, 2019

We are very disappointed to hear of your employment experience with The Paper Store. We take your concerns seriously and want to better understand to make the necessary changes. Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com.
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

fun and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMarch 11, 2019
Working at the paper store is a fun and fast paced environment with a family orientated staff. They listen to your opportunities and are flexible with career changes.
April 9, 2019

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time working at our Scarborough store. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJFebruary 25, 2019
Poorly managed store. Sometimes too many working in a store at the same time is a bad thing. Store could operate with less people working at the same time as well.
Managers immature. Many customer complaints regarding management.
TPS has a lot of potential but needs to re-organize.
Pros
Good product and flexible hours
Cons
Most employees treated like a number
April 9, 2019

We are very sorry to hear that your employment with The Paper Store was not a positive experience. Human Resources is available to support our employees throughout their tenure with us. We are available by phone or email for employees to voice concerns or ask for assistance. We take all concerns very seriously and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review.Thank you.

Awesome first job
SALES ASSOCIATE/DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  110 king land rd Clifton Nj 07010February 13, 2019
Loved working here but I was petite and not making enough recommend for a first job very relaxed it does have its busy season during the holidays it gets crazy
February 15, 2019

We are very happy to hear that your first job with The Paper Store was awesome! Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

a great place to work salary is not that competitve
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Stoneham, MAFebruary 10, 2019
opening and closing of petty cash and registers, manage up to 5 employee at once giving task to do such as pushing freight customer service and sales goals..
Pros
free lunch at chritmas
Cons
payscale
February 15, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoy working at our Stoneham location and we appreciate the feedback regarding pay. Please feel free to email me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com if you would like to discuss further.

Poor management, unhealthy environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTFebruary 8, 2019
Very poor management except a few managers. Not a healthy work environment. You will work hard and not be appreciated. Managers are their own clique and are not supportive.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor management, bad pay, horrible environment
February 15, 2019

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Paper Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight