The Paper Store Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
couldn’t wait to leave
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJuly 10, 2018
In the beginning, I very much enjoyed working. In the end, I couldn’t wait to leave. The location I was employed at did not care about building relationships, only work work work. Everything was very “fake happy”. Did not care about lives outside of the job, as if everything revolves around it. Management aggressive, while trying to be nice about it.
Cons
unrealistic summer dress code, bad hours, poor listeners
Cards Gifts etc
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIJuly 1, 2018
Easy - going workplace, busy during all card/gift related times (christmas, mothers/fathers day, graduations), slow and little hours during summer, other staff members helpful. Communication with staff should be increased (ex: who can do returns, etc.).
Pros
flexible schedule, decent pay, great coworkers
Cons
slow during summer, lack of communication
Lots of forced call outs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAJune 30, 2018
Told me not to come into work almost regularly and gave little hours. Wasn't much to do while at work and had too many employees for such a small sales number
Productive day at work
Part-time Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, MAJune 21, 2018
At The Paper Store, the number goal is customer service. Every day I have worked there, customer service has been number one. It is important to please each and every customer. Being a sales team leader, it is my responsibility to be a prime example of customer service. I make sure each customer is greeted and helped when needed, each department is organized, each worker is in their correct zone, and that someone leaves with a gift either for themselves or for someone else that they love. The best part of the job is talking to each customer and helping them find something they will love for themselves or for someone else. I've learned how to juggle running the sales floor along with helping customers and employees whether it be finding products online or at the store. I try my best to relate to what each customer is looking for and get them whatever they desire to have.
Pros
Flexible with hours, there is always someone to cover your shift if you cannot work, comfortable workplace environment
Cons
Still in school full time September through May
Great friendships formed
Former employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 6, 2018
A great culture and great place to work. The managers show a great love of what they do and it shows in their store displays and knowledge of the gifts they sell. Corporate is the same. Everyone is friendly.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Benefits are not as great as they are in larger companies
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 31, 2018
It was like being in high school again but this time the awful cheerleader type was 60 plus years old. Great store but totally dysfunctional staff. Not enough staff to cover call outs that happened daily.
Pros
None. Discount for employees is often less than customer coupon savings
Cons
no Break, worked through lunch, without pay.
Good for part time as long as not dependent on only this
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Swampscott, MAMay 22, 2018
Great place to work if part time with another source of income. Hours can sometimes be less than what you need to live on. Not a job to have if needed to support self or family.
Decent workplace environment. Excellent for part time retail work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAMay 13, 2018
I started working here when I was seventeen. I was hired before most of the employees and even before the store was officially opened. However, because I was seventeen I was not given as many hours over time and I saw that employees that I trained who were over eighteen years old were being offered higher positions and more hours than I was. Due to the lack of hours, I quit because I was becoming broke due to how few hours they were giving me. Decent place to work at but only if you’re above 18 and it’s the holidays.
Fun place to work in a creative and energetic environment.
Visual Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAMarch 24, 2018
Typical day is full of merchandising directives set by corporate teams that have to be set by company standards and timelines. Learned about new merchandising strategies and planning guides. Ability to travel and remodel other store locations working with corporate merchandising team. Work culture is friendly with a strong emphasis on customer service and experience.
Paper Store
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAMarch 21, 2018
I thought that the management was a little unreliable and it could have treated its employees better. I felt untrusted as an employee and undervalued.
Fun and Upbeat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTMarch 14, 2018
Coworkers were easy to work with and helpful on the floor. Management was very good and the store was very organized.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and everyday being different and interesting.
Productive place to work, diverse opportunity
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIMarch 14, 2018
At the time of my working in the location that I had there were many developments occurring which made the work environment extremely stressful. Our location during this time was not represented by a strong manager. I believe that it has since improved.
Super relaxed place no stress
Retail Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAMarch 13, 2018
Easily the most relaxed job I ever had. All you have to do is complete the job numbers given to you and you'll be fine. It's very simple go in pick up one of the charged tablets go to your manager he or she gives you specific order numbers. Then you get the order off the pallet and either price it or package it then move on to your next number easy.
Pros
Good easy hours, break time, stress free work place, early release for holidays and week ends sometimes.
Cons
It was only temporary
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Epping, NHMarch 9, 2018
Seasonal positions' are offered yearly, not a lot of hours and staff shrinks dramitcally after season rush is over. kA good learning experience for a young adult returning to or in school.
Pros
NIce frendly
Cons
Staff shrinks after seaonal rush
paper store
Hallmark Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, MAMarch 7, 2018
an okay place to work, they are sales driven and want us employees to enforce sales. overall It had its pros and cons but overall would not wanna make it a career.
Productive and fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompton Lakes, NJMarch 2, 2018
The staff felt like a family at the Paper Store. I learned how to manage my time efficiently, multitask efficiently, approach customers, and sell the merchandise. I also learned to restock the store. The hardest part of the job was around Christmas time when the lines were out the door, but it was more quick-paced and demanding more than difficult. My managers were easy to work with and were friendly with everyone working.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short Breaks
Store followed the GUEST philosophy
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAFebruary 28, 2018
Quick paced and very customer oriented organization. Enjoyed the interaction with customers and coworkers. Store Manager was top notch. Most days I walked 8000 steps from beginning to end of shift. Job duties included register operation, organizing clothing and straightening merchandise, and customer greeting.
Wonderful work environment
Store Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHFebruary 27, 2018
Everyone always put their best foot forward and worked well together, the store itself was well kept and friendly, and customers that frequented the store often made your day feel brightened.
Relaxed working environment
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireFebruary 27, 2018
Slow during non-holiday times of the year, busy during holidays (Christmas, Valentines day, Mothers day, ect.) Relaxed environment overall. Staff is fun to work with and the manager is great. Customers are generally very friendly as well. Can be boring sometimes and not a very challenging place to work.
Pros
Sick time
Cons
No raises
Fun Places to work
Key Holder, sales associate (Current Employee) –  Seekonk, MAFebruary 16, 2018
I have been working for The Paper Store for a year. A great places to work. Everyone if friendly and work as a team. It has been a great second job to help with extra income.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Paper Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight