The Paper Store Employee Reviews

Inmature managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJJanuary 19, 2019
Managers don't open the store on time employes have to wait in their cars untill they finally show up late. Managers always ordering food and stay in the back room eating all day long Very inmature managers that gossip about customers and customers have complained that they heard what was said and approached these managers to their face and even asked for corporates number to complain Managers causing customers not to return to this location
Pros
Nice store
Cons
Inmature managers
January 22, 2019

We are very disappointed to hear of your employment experience with The Paper Store. We take your concerns seriously and want to better understand to make the necessary changes. Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com.
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention

It was a very difficult experience.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 18, 2019
My time spent employed at The Paper Store was endless efforts that went unnoticed. This company expects you to work more than what your agreed contract says. The first few months we're good. Then it got uncomfortable when I realized upper management is like high school. They have a circle of upper managemen that are rude, unprofessional and don't care about their employees. I saw internal employees be passed up for a promotion with no vaild reason, received complaints when working 50 hours a week wasn't enough, even though in was contracted into 45 hours a week and paid for 40, gave general and sincere feedback only to have it disregarded and listened to gossip and upper management bad mouth my employees as well as others. I was there to learn, grow and develop my skills as a professional; they were not there to Foster any of that. I was releived when I left. I won't recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
None.
Cons
Company needs to treat their employees with equal respect
January 22, 2019

Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. We take your concerns seriously and want to better understand to make the necessary changes to improve the work environment. Thank you very much!

Okay stepping stone job
E-Commerce Associate (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAJanuary 11, 2019
The pay could be better compared to other warehouses.
All managers are there because they know the owners and are not qualified. If you decide to work here stay out of reserve and e-commerce. E-commerce is the worst. the manager and inventory supervisor are extremely slow and lazy and should be fired. The other department supervisor should be manager and the leads should be supervisors they are the ones who do everything. Do not give your input because the manager will take it and make it his idea to get all the praise.
Pros
30% discount
January 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working in our warehouse. All employees are welcome to speak with Human Resources for support throughout their employment with The Paper Store. Please feel free to contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com if you would like to discuss further.

Okay
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIJanuary 10, 2019
I loved working there at first. I was a seasonal worker. But, around January they lost their manager and it became very unorganized. I wasn't getting many hours, which I understood due to my position there. When I was looking for another job, I found it hard to find someone to contact that I was leaving the store.
January 22, 2019

I'm sorry to hear that you found it hard to find someone to contact. There should be a phone list posted in the backroom of every store. You can contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com if I can support you in any way.

Good company for retail work.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lynnfield, MA, Seeking, RIJanuary 6, 2019
The paper store offers an array of items for sale. Like all retail, you get minimum wage unless you are a key holder or manager. Age ranges of employees run the gamut. There are no health benefits or time off for part time employees but scheduling can be flexible. The busy season starts on Black Friday and goes till Christmas. A lot of employees are cut after the christmas season due to low hours. Overall an enjoyable place to work if you're just looking for no advancement and a part time, "Keep me busy" job. Not a career move unless you want to go into management.
Pros
nice 30% off discount. fun people to work with
Cons
Low pay rate, no healthcare, short breaks.
January 22, 2019

Hello and thank you for your message. Unfortunately, we do not provide health benefits for part-time employees at this time. However, in Massachusetts, part-time employees do accrue sick time.In addition, sales associates have the opportunity to grow into department specialist roles and other positions. If you would like to discuss further please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. Thank you again for the feedback.

awsome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTDecember 30, 2018
everyone that works there are very capable and great at their jobs making it easy for me to learn and do mine. The employees work hard and do a phenomenal job
January 1, 2019

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with our fabulous team in Bristol. I will be sure to pass along your kind words. Happy New Year!

Fast Paced, fun retail experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 7, 2018
A very busy, fast paced environment that will keep you on your toes all day long. The people working there are amazing and will do everything and anything to help, as long as you ask. The flexible hours and full benefits for full timers is a nice plus as well.
Pros
Flexible hours, full benefits
Cons
short breaks, long hours
December 12, 2018

It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your time with TPS and especially your coworkers. We agree that we have a terrific team in Amherst. Thank you for taking the time write a review.

Great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, RINovember 16, 2018
Great work environment. Customers need a lot of attention as the store draws an older crowd, but the tend to be very understanding and appreciate towards the efforts of employees. Only con is that the store has too much merchandise which makes it hard for employees to keep track of and customers to find.
December 12, 2018

We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your job in our Smithfield location. Our stores are definitely full this time of year. Thank you for taking such good care of our customers. We also appreciate you taking the time to write a review and provide feedback.

Dreadful
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 12, 2018
The job started off great! It was fun. The people who I worked with were great, and I loved the customers. Upper Management was not the best. The store manager was extremely passive aggressive about everything. She would talk about others behind their backs and choose a new favorite employee every few months. Every single day I dreaded going into work. I didn’t know which store manager I would be working with... It was like working with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The turn over rate for department manager was insane. 8 different department managers left or transferred in the time of my employment. The work- life balance was unreasonable for someone who has a family or small child. The store manager told me that The Paper Store should be my first priority over my family. The pay rate was terrible and the healthcare benefits were way too expensive for someone making just over minimum wage. Other retailers pay a lot more for a management position. They do not show any kind of appreciation for hard work, traveling to other states for training, or setting up a store.The corporate office will bombard your store with many tasks every week to do in an unreasonable amount of time. With minimum payroll, and no extra employees to cover the floor it makes getting anything done correctly nearly impossible.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Micromanaged, no work-life balance, no raises, pay rate, management, lack of respect, too much drama, short breaks
November 26, 2018

We are so sorry to hear that your time with The Paper Store was not a positive experience. We take your concerns seriously and want to better understand to make the necessary changes. Please contact me at humanresources@thepaperstore.com. Thank you very much.

Productive and Fun workplace with snacks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJNovember 8, 2018
I would rate The Paper Store a 4 out of 5 stars, it is a organized, clean, and sufficient workplace. They strive for making customers content as their priority, however, the job culture is poor.
Pros
Snacks, friendly employers, etc
Cons
Short breaks and not a lot of diversity.
November 13, 2018

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your job with us. We are always striving to improve, so we also appreciate the constructive feedback.Thank you.

Poor work environment, mico-managed
Hallmark Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAOctober 12, 2018
From the beginning of my employment I was told rumors and gossip about the store manager, other employees and predecessors of my position, The store manager was tough, which I would be ok with normally, but she was tough and demeaning. She spoke to me like I was a child. Everyone talked about her behind her back yet everyone was scared to stand up to her except me. It was a demoralizing and controlling place to work and because of that I would not recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Employee discount, benefits
Cons
Micro-managed, demoralized
November 13, 2018

We are very sorry to hear that your employment with The Paper Store was not a positive experience. Human Resources is available to support our employees throughout their tenure with us. We are available by phone or email for employees to voice concerns or ask for assistance. We take all concerns very seriously and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review.Thank you.

Love my coworkers, dislike store manager
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAOctober 11, 2018
Store manager is awful. Hours fluctuate. Expected to train seasonal employees while store manager sits in her office chit chatting with other employees.
November 13, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy in your current location. We have several other stores in the area and we would like to work with you to find a solution. We take all concerns seriously and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Please contact Human Resources at benefits@thepaperstore.com.

Ok for kids in high school
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ramsey, NJAugust 5, 2018
Good for a first job. Upper management sucks. Not good pay, no room for advancement, no acknowledgement for hard work. Hours can be till 1am, or as early as 6:30am, during peak seasons
Pros
Made bestfriends from other coworkers
Cons
Everything else lol
Over-all it’s a great place to work and shop!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 15, 2018
I loved working here and I shop here all the time still. It’s a very neat store with very nice people no matter what. One thing I’d recommend is to wear comfortable shoes because you’ll be on your feet the whole time.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours, fun to work
Cons
Not long enough shifts, too small of a store, always looking for something to do and not having something to do.
couldn’t wait to leave
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJuly 10, 2018
In the beginning, I very much enjoyed working. In the end, I couldn’t wait to leave. The location I was employed at did not care about building relationships, only work work work. Everything was very “fake happy”. Did not care about lives outside of the job, as if everything revolves around it. Management aggressive, while trying to be nice about it.
Cons
unrealistic summer dress code, bad hours, poor listeners
Cards Gifts etc
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cranston, RIJuly 1, 2018
Easy - going workplace, busy during all card/gift related times (christmas, mothers/fathers day, graduations), slow and little hours during summer, other staff members helpful. Communication with staff should be increased (ex: who can do returns, etc.).
Pros
flexible schedule, decent pay, great coworkers
Cons
slow during summer, lack of communication
Lots of forced call outs
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAJune 30, 2018
Told me not to come into work almost regularly and gave little hours. Wasn't much to do while at work and had too many employees for such a small sales number
Productive day at work
Part-time Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, MAJune 21, 2018
At The Paper Store, the number goal is customer service. Every day I have worked there, customer service has been number one. It is important to please each and every customer. Being a sales team leader, it is my responsibility to be a prime example of customer service. I make sure each customer is greeted and helped when needed, each department is organized, each worker is in their correct zone, and that someone leaves with a gift either for themselves or for someone else that they love. The best part of the job is talking to each customer and helping them find something they will love for themselves or for someone else. I've learned how to juggle running the sales floor along with helping customers and employees whether it be finding products online or at the store. I try my best to relate to what each customer is looking for and get them whatever they desire to have.
Pros
Flexible with hours, there is always someone to cover your shift if you cannot work, comfortable workplace environment
Cons
Still in school full time September through May
Great friendships formed
Former employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 6, 2018
A great culture and great place to work. The managers show a great love of what they do and it shows in their store displays and knowledge of the gifts they sell. Corporate is the same. Everyone is friendly.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Benefits are not as great as they are in larger companies
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsMay 31, 2018
It was like being in high school again but this time the awful cheerleader type was 60 plus years old. Great store but totally dysfunctional staff. Not enough staff to cover call outs that happened daily.
Pros
None. Discount for employees is often less than customer coupon savings
Cons
no Break, worked through lunch, without pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Paper Store. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight