The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Wonderful experience
Director - Business and Finance / Consultant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2018
I found my work to be challenging and rewarding, I inherited a good team and feel I was able to build on that to make the team better.

There is a caring culture for the students

We accomplished a lot and improved many practices and procedures. We also fostered a spirit of teamwork with the academic team that was new for the school.

At the time the most difficult problem was uneven state funding which had been held flat for several years despite salary and benefit increases for staff. Also there was increasing reporting requirements for state and Federal level which required more time.

Hardest part of the job was dealing in two languages - english and american sign.

The most rewarding thing without doubt was graduating day seeing kids going out into the world equipped by the patience and effort of a core of professionals.
Pros
New leadership going in right direction, financial support more stable
Very professional
Bus monitor/ substitutes (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2018
I loved working at Pennsylvania School for the Deaf, I enjoyed every minute of it. I knew everyone so I lit was very comfortable to start. The training was great and very informative.
Pros
Being around people like me
Cons
good
Intern at PSD (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 14, 2017
challenging and meanigful wprk occurs here. a lot needs to be done but the staff is dedicated to advancing the lives' of the students. I enjoyed my time here.
Plenty of breaks
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2017
You can work more than one position at PSD such as, teacher aide subs, go on trips with students, work as volunteer at different events and social with coworkers with ASL access
Pros
Have ATO
Cons
No benefits for part timers
Fun place to work
Assitant Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 1, 2017
It was a great place to work, I was very tight with my boss which made the experience awesome. I also had the pleasure of working with some other college students which made the experience fun.
Great place for teamwork and support of goals and career advancement
Administrative Suppt. for Elem/MS/HS Principal (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2013
A typical day at work will be to stay on top of daily emails because emails are an imperative mode of communication other than using ASL.. Many work request are sent via email i.e. appointment request from deaf staff to meet with the school principals or schedules to reserve conference rooms or teaching kitchen. I've learned the importance of communication is a huge part of the daily interactions in order to stay abreast of all activities. Coworkers are very nice, hardworking and great teamplayers. The hardest part of the job is to not try and be a perfectionist, there is not a lot of time for that because much is happening to keep up with. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the deaf students, they bring about a positive atmosphere that radiates in the workplace.
Pros
Lunch is available for both students and staff, this is very convenient.
Cons
Healthcare is expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4