The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack Employee Reviews

Found 2,117 reviews matching the search See all 2,121 reviews
Typical corperate shop
Asst Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 17, 2018
This is your stereotypical corporate auto service facility. They have a mission statement of customer care first. This is not accurate, profit profit profit comes first second and third. Instead of focusing on taking care of customer needs they prefer to push the most profitable services
Pros
Decent benifits
Cons
disfuctional management chain
They will fire you
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2018
This company doesn't care about how are you work, whether you are extremely short handed or not or how well you do on you sales. If you are seen as a threat or is deemed a threat by other you will be fired. And if you are a female they will use you as an escape goat to get ride of you if you do not fall to your knees. I would never recommend this company to work for.
Great place to start out working or if you're between jobs!
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 17, 2018
What made Pep Boys different for me was the freedom management gave me to make decisions. The bad things were the low pay, and the difficulty of advancing in a situation with constant turnover of mechanics and many questionable workers. But if I were a young mechanic I would love working here, and I also love the idea of the combination of shop and store.
Pros
Freedom and combination of shop and store.
Cons
Low pay and a lot of turnover.
Provided a good work environment
Sales Tax Supervisor/Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2018
Processing tax returns and researching sales tax laws in various states. Management of the staff had it challenges as the corporate office had a tendency to hire family members who lack the required skill set.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Staff that required a great deal of over sight
under new management
Merchandise Planner (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 16, 2018
Undergoing changes in an effort to clear out the building for a potential sale. Workers on edge whether their job is secure or not.
Management communication is non-existent.
Unusually demanding
Pros
PTO is generous
Cons
no breaks during the day except of lunch
No leadership
Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 14, 2018
Upper management worry about one thing, themselves. Will take advantage of you and lies, has no value as a person or leader. I just don't know how pr what is needed to be a service manager, but whom ever has the power I'll tell you is all about the $$$$$$$. Employees are not a priority, technicians and service advisor to include asst manger in their mind they come in dollar a dozen and has no concept in training and retention of good employees.
Pros
Corp. has good intention but all they look at is $$$$$
Cons
totally has no leadership, all about $$$$
Entry level review
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, GAOctober 14, 2018
I loved working here. As just a GST, I was able to perform more advanced repairs based on my knowledge. Co-workers always lend a hand when asked. This was 2 years ago on an hourly and flat rate combination. Slow days really hurt and I was lucky if my paycheck broke even with child care costs. I'm told the pay has changed to hourly only, but it's still pretty low and still no overtime. This is a good job for people just getting out of high school and still living with their parents (like a majority of the jobs out there). Pep Boys still pays a bit better than a lot of the entry level automotive jobs out there, but it's still not enough to pay the bills. If you're trying to support anyone besides yourself, keep looking. If not, this is a good company to start a mechanic career.
Pros
Work environment, good incentives for advancement, impacts provided, uniforms.
Cons
Pay, appointment scheduling system, periods of empty bays.
good
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2018
it was a good job to work for when in school just to make some extra money very flexible company to work for. good for people just looking to get into the industry
Good job, unrealistic sales expectaion
Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAOctober 13, 2018
I would recommend working for PepBoys with the acknolagement that managment has an unrealistic expectation for sales. Managment could use work but fellow employees were helpful. Company could defiantly use more education on how to obtain high sales. Training and orientation is very short. Employees could use more training on copreration protocols. Good work environment but no place to advance career wise.
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Cons
No place for advancement, needs better management
busy place
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVOctober 12, 2018
basic auto retail store. fun to work at always interesting the team is amazing however no one really communicates with eachother . i am so sad i no longer work here
Pros
learn everyday
Cons
management does not communicate
Don’t work here
Sorter/Psicker (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJOctober 12, 2018
This company has very poor supervisory practices. Depending on the mood your supervisor is in determines your stay as an employee. Stay away. Not good
Great stepping stone.
MASTER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 11, 2018
Pepboys is a great stepping stone for individuals looking to start a career in the automotive field. Weather you are going to a community college or fresh out of a technical school. You get the opportunity to work on many different makes and models.
Pros
Training, benefits
Cons
Pay
Incompetent Management
Tech Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 11, 2018
Horrible business model, you advance by back-stabbing your co-workers. The service manager told a lie every other sentence. The district manager was unreachable. The commission pay leaves a Tech A making about $8 an hour because management has to over-price procedures in spite of ASE book-rates. Up-selling was done counter-productively. I literally watched business shrink over a few weeks. The car work involves unethical practices promoted by management.
Pros
It’s friendly at first
Cons
Culture of deception on most fronts
I loved this job until the company moved in a new direction that severely impacted the compensation of associates whom worked with me.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYOctober 11, 2018
When I first began working for the company I was very excited to start something new, even though it was a substantial pay decrease from my previous employer. Changes to the compensation for many of the associates whom worked for me was the ultimate reason for my decision to leave the company.
pepboys
Commercial and Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 11, 2018
I work as a parts delivery driver at the location in Ontario, it has its good days and bad ones. the problem is there is always so much traffic in the area, making fast deliveries can be a challenge. I also man the parts counter.
Pros
time flies making deliveries
Cons
if you're a driver you also are doing retail work, no raises
definitly a fun place to work,although,it was business first enviroment
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 10, 2018
i thought the job was one of the best I've worked on in a number of years.I enjoyed the attention to detail,my supervisor demanded from his employees,making sure our equipment was up to standards.As well as giving you time off as needed.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
no paid holidays
right
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edgewater Prk, NJOctober 8, 2018
i was still in high school for this company. it was a great part time job TO HAVE while iw as getting my studies handled. gave me a sense of respsonbiilty
Not so good
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bedford txOctober 8, 2018
Place is not the relaxed atmosphere to work at , very stressful and the pay is not good compared to the amount of work you have to do. Highly dont recommend working there.
Service Area Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2018
Good company to work for good benefits but long hours being a retailer open seven days a week, provide good training for their employees. The management is experienced and guide you through your Career.
The Company suffers from weak Management trust and authority
Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 7, 2018
The Company suffers from over valuing the Technicians and under valuing Management. The Techniciations can do pretty much anything they want against Company Policy. If Management tries to step in and reel the Techs in, they know that they can get rid of Manager and just continue to do as they wish. The Company is currently cutting experienced staff in The Service Department and asking Store associates to try to make up the difference, this I feel is a big mistake.
Pros
Good pay for the Service Department
Cons
No enforced structure with Management and a dwindling knowledge base in all of the stores.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

76out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack.

Powered by Comparably