The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Employee Reviews

Depending on the department, the Port Authority is an excellent agency to work for.
Senior Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2019
Although the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is an excellent public agency to work for, the department and manager I worked for was unlike any other agency where I was employed. The guidance, management and leadership was very poor, which at times made it difficult to perform assigned tasks. The culture of the department was very competive at any cost, whether ethical or immoral.
An Agency with many oppurtunities
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2019
Good work life balance
Meetings sometimes heavy on certain days during the week.
Provide the opportunity to lead a project that involves many disciplines
Location of office workplace is clean adequate with computing resources.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
Difficult to move within the company. Top heavy government initiatives.
Very productive Organization. Respectful workers.
Paralegal Specialist, Law Department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2019
Do Roll Call every day and then go and sit down to send out the scanned mail to the appropriate parties involved in each particular case. Check the roll call sheets and figure out who is present, who is late and who is not. I also check any emails sent to let us know if the person is coming and/or where they are at. If they are not in the office, then I will have to send them an email to confirm the same. I also deal with the different mails that come in from NY, NJ, and that is related to Labor, Commercial and/or Asbestos matters.
Pros
40 hours a week or more schedule.
Cons
Not a permanent employee.
be cautious
NY & NJ- Senior Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 7, 2019
while you may think your job is safe, every job is "at will" for the first year, and management will not hesitate if there is the slightest personality conflict.
Internship Experience
Engineering Aide (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoyed my experience at the PANYNJ. There were many opportunities to learn with lunch and learns. At least once a week there would be something going on. It was in a good area of the city and there was a lot to do after work.
Outlook managed the rooms.
The environment was relaxed and a little too slow paced for my taste. It was difficult getting what you needed (IE: computer hardware, software, office supplies) in a timely manner unless you could get them yourself. The cubicles were pretty spacious and not far from the wall of windows showing spectacular views of downtown Manhattan.
review summary panynj 2019
Systems Support Manage Technician / System Admin (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYDecember 21, 2018
anyone who work there will be very happy, work hard and stay out of trouble, staff are great and friendly, ongoing new technology on a respited rate..
Reliable place to work
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
The agency values diversity and inclusion; values employee input/perception.
The agency can improve on providing agency-wide employee events such as a spring picnic or holiday party.
9/10 experience
Intern to Real Estate Services (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 2, 2018
Really wonderful people, really could just use a younger staff. Days are great, non-stress inducing environment. Food in the area is great, general area is great to be around. Commuting can be a bit tough.
Challenging
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2018
Challenging and rewarding place to work. Allows you the opportunity to grow in your career and get experience in different disciplines. Would definitely recommend.
Job Security
Supervising Office Assistant - Engineering (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2018
Opportunity to meet wonderful people, advancing your career by going back to school based upon your area and department. Working at different offices within the tri-state. Being able to switch from one field to another.

Working with people from all walks of life, with different cultural background.

Family oriented
Pros
Healthcare
Great place for opportunities
Summer Intern - SEMAC (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 8, 2018
Inventory control
management skills
travel from one location to another
always on the going to different facilities
meeting new people
the hardest part of my internship was keeping track of the vast amount of tools port authority uses.
Good work, good people
Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  4 WTC, NYSeptember 19, 2018
The Port Authority of NJ & NY offers a professional environment and a culture that cares immensely about its facilities and its custoomers - the travelling public.
prejudice
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYSeptember 15, 2018
The worst feeling in the world is when you walk into a new workplace and noone was born in America, it makes it very difficult to communicate with fellow employees.Also sadly things end up getting segregated.
accounting (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 14, 2018
It is a really good place to work but as a government agency they cannot keep up with the rest of the world. Lots of manual and paper-based work and the mentality may be a little old school. Great work/life balance and never have to work overtime.
Great career choice
Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
I worked for The Port Authority for 32years, and advanced from a maintenance worker to a mid-level supervisor. It was an incredible experience, and I will always be grateful for it. I was able to raise a family, own a home and send my children to college, as well as provide me with a good salary and excellent medical benefits. That being said, at times it was a frustrating, petty, tyrannical and political organization. No raises for over 10 years!
Pros
Benefits, career advancement, interesting jobs.
Cons
Management, contracts.
Fun
General maintainer (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 2, 2018
I don't have any review remarks at this point. It was a company I work for. I enjoyed the workplace atmostphere, gave it 110% everytime. Lots of opportunities.
place is bad
Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 11, 2018
the place is a joke ancient technology many unskilled employees. Just robots. Never been around so many uneducated people all at once. Its a wonder they are not outsourced altogether yet.
Pros
Cons
where do i start stay far away from this place
Productive, Evolving Culture
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New YorkAugust 10, 2018
A typical day at the Port Authority is filled with enrichment. The organization is always looking to enhance and improve for the betterment of patrons that uses its facilities daily. I learned a lot about adapting to change and coming up with ideas for improvement which was quite enjoyable.
Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJuly 31, 2018
Great place to work.

Although I am contracted, I hear they have great benefits, wonderful perks and tremendous growth opportunities.

Everyone here is very caring and a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Starting salaries are low
Complex
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
The Chief Executives are the New York and New Jersey Governors with inherent conflicting motivations. The staff are dedicated servants to the mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight