The Princeton Review Employee Reviews

Data processing
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 22, 2019
Create systems that monitor and report errors in data to ensure accurate end user communications. Maintains documentation of the processes and effectively communicates the requirements to the team. Understands the client's business and goals, which will allow for critical analysis of the project instructions to identify possible errors or potential areas of improvement.
Remote tutoring position with very high standards
Online College Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2019
Don't expect to hit the ground running with this place. Ridiculous "Preliminary Tutor" status training period that limits new subcontracting tutors a measly 5 hours each week for months. The platform is outdated and limited. Training materials could fill a warehouse They don't have any hang ups about paying you an hourly wage that is less than minimum wage AND you will be paying taxes independently. I have worked for this company since May and I have received 1 paycheck. Count them, 1 in 4 months.

****Edit: You are limited to 5 hours a week until you reach some esoteric job status that is beyond Preliminary Tutor, Tutor 1, Tutor 2, and Tutor 3.
Productive and fun workplace
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 6, 2019
TPR is great! The organization cares about its students and is continuously looking to improve criteria and instructors. Benefits are great and everyone is so friendly.
Hands off approach requires independence
SAT Instructor (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAAugust 4, 2019
TPR has a specific curriculum that you're expected to get through, and they do a pretty good job of introducing you to it -- but after that, you're pretty much on your own. Which is OK, since everything except the actual teaching is pretty much taken care of for you.
Few hours available, low pay, virtually no support, dysfunctional web based platform
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 17, 2019
There is a very low cap on hours available to be worked, and this makes earning any reasonable pay virtually impossible. There are serious problems with their online platform, and although they are aware of them, and they do roll out updates which you must download to your own PC, they refuse to resolve these issues. Tutors are kicked offline, and although the status bar shows you are connected, a silent window will pop-up behind your active window stating you can't connect and to contact tech support. When you contact them they do nothing. You will not be paid for lost time due to their technical errors. This ensure you earn virtually nothing for your time. Half of the tutoring sessions are fake and used for their evaluation purposes.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Low pay, no advancement, cap on hours
A long time ago
Marketing Representative/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2019
This was my first "real job" after high school. I worked with great people and learned a ton. The company was still rather new so some areas were kind of messy but overall great place.
Flexible schedule and Segue into full-time Teaching
LSAT and SAT Instructor (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 11, 2019
Working at The Princeton Review enabled me to pursue my dream of helping students advance their educational pursuits while learning to present material and manage a classroom.
Clever People
instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2019
I appreciated the sense of humor and that can-do spirit. It was a fun place to work. We helped people. We did it with a smile. Lots of clever strategies.
Pros
smart people
Cons
driving
good org for supplemental income
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 27, 2018
easy to train up and start teaching. they keep classes full and allow flexibility in teaching them. good and effective methodologies (used them myself to get good GMAT scores).

work is very sporadic though, so unless you are a super-hustler trained up in multiple tests, its impossible to use them as single source of income.
Eh
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 26, 2018
If you are one of the lucky ones then you have it made...working from home, coming in and out whenever you please and lunch breaks that you decide when and how long. Will promote based on favoritism. If you are one of the favorites then you'll love it there. No direction at all for the company, constant company-wide lay offs. All in all lax work environment, other than the anxiety of losing your job.
Good working environment
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2018
I would only work 4 hours at a time. I would come in read the instructions and call time at the end of the section. The kids were nice. It was easy pace.
Nice way to earn side money
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTOctober 16, 2018
It was a good way to earn part-time money. When I relocated to Arizona, the opportunities were drastically reduced, so I was not able to get enough work to make it worth while.
Best team morale
Adjustment Team / AR Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAOctober 11, 2018
CEO is available to all and drives mission with smile on her face. Small gatherings with food, drinks, and laughter held monthly. Pizza for team on random surprise allowing time away from desks to socialize and take a break. Excellent and open communication. Flexibility
Pros
Best morale and team spirit
Cons
Inability to work from home
Good company
Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 11, 2018
During my time there I watched a lot of people get promoted and I thought that was wonderful! Most jobs don't care about the staff and that is one that actually did.
Wonderful products and well meaning staff
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Natick, MASeptember 21, 2018
- Smart and talented coworkers
- Mission and product you can be proud of
- Changing students' lives through education

Cons
- Constant change in management
- Lack of transparency from leadership team
Nice company, but limited income opportunity
MENTOR & TUTOR (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 27, 2018
Allowable hours per week are based on state mandates and differ for each state. Indiana, for example, only allows 22 hours per week, so I was limited to 22 hours work per week. Other than that and not having benefits, it's nice to build your own schedule and work from home.
Pros
Work from home; decent pay rate
Cons
Lack of available hours
Great People, Great Mission
Business Development Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2018
The Princeton Review is focused on students and helping them advance to the next level of their career. Employees stay with The Princeton Review because of the culture and their coworkers. It provided me a place to grow, learn and advance my own career. Unfortunately the mission, culture, and management has changed and this company will no longer be the same.
Pros
Culture, coworkers, benefits, travel
Cons
lack of communication or consistency, lack of purpose
Has lost its way for the moment
Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2018
Having worked at The Princeton Review for several years, I have seen many changes. Some have been exciting and others foreboding. The latest acquisition by ST Unitas has mostly been the latter. The overall mission has switched to short term goals to the detriment of the long game. There are many issues that will come home to roost as our upper management thinks certain things will continue as function of momentum when in fact, they will not.
Fun place to work.
Full-Time Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2018
Had a ping pong table we could play on throughout the day. Management isn't open. Employees are the last to find anything out. Hour are very flexible.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes.
Cons
401K doesn't match
Good experience and Learning
Tutor, MCAT instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
Its really very interesting to interact with students and to teach them the basics. The exam taking strategies and tricks are really important and good to know.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Princeton Review. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight