The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County Employee Reviews

could be a wonderful fun job
Library Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 26, 2018
could be the best job ever. However, when I needed to go full time, it was not easy to advance and I had to leave. Helps to have friends in high places.
Pros
great atmosphere and great talking to other readers
Cons
management not backing employees
relaxed place to work
Library Service Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 21, 2018
On a typical day you clear expired holds, checkin the book drop, receive in the delivery, then once the library is open you provide customer service at the desk
Makes a difference
Student Shelver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 8, 2018
You feel like you make a difference, but there is a lack of full time positions and management is top heavy. You usually switch an hour on desk and an hour in the back, which balances nicely.
Fun
Library Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheviot, OHJanuary 23, 2018
Great place to work if you do not plan on furthering your career. High paid salaries and fun activities. Always can expect something new each day.
quiet, easy place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 21, 2018
i was considered a volunteer here. i pulled books off the shelves to fill patrons requests for them to pick up at their convenience. i loved working here. it was quiet and easy work, just finding the books they wanted and handing them off to be grouped and scanned for the patron to pick up.
Top place to work
Materials Scan Operator (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2018
I enjoyed working at Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. There were ups and downs. The company has its issues, but nothing that would deter my recommendation. A typical day at work can be pretty busy Management worked hard to improve its communication. The workplace culture has generally been good. The hardest part of the job was having my favorite job get eliminated. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with coworkers and working as a team to help people.
Pros
Great people and place to work.
Cons
Financial cutbacks from the government hurt.
Relaxed work environment
LibraryServices Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 1, 2017
A typical day at work involves different tasks and helping customers. The culture is nice, although there are employees who feel that they are extremely smart and they tend to talk down to people. The hardest part of the job was getting my coworkers to provide fast efficient service. Because it is a library, a lot of them tended to move slowly when assisting a customer because they did not see a need for urgency. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers. On a typical day, one may help a homeless woman find a shelter, help a high school student find research materials, and help an elderly man download music to his new cell phone. I really enjoyed this job because the workload was fair, the pay was good, and I left everyday knowing that I connected with my customers and made a positive impact on their lives.
Pros
helping people solve life problems by connecting them to resources
Cons
most positons are part time, although the hourly rate was decent
Excellent place to work
Reference Librarian and Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 15, 2017
Working at the Cincinnati Public Library was probably one of the most rewarding positions I have ever had. Being surrounded by service minded people and a supportive atmosphere was extremely rewarding. While there is always a certain amount of stress when dealing with customer service, in general the management and staff were always there to help. The pay was great, the hours were flexible, and there were very good benefits. Not only was my continuing education subsidized, but my hours were managed around my school schedule. This is a wonderful place to work.
Fast paced backend with enjoyable coworkers
Page (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 5, 2017
An overall enjoyable experience but the library, like most companies in OH, doesn't offer benefits to part timers and doesn't pay a living wage to it's employees.
Helping Real People
Library Service Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45229May 16, 2017
There is no typical day when working at a library within one of the poorest neighborhoods in a racially divided city. Any given day I may be supervising a teen or children's activity to helping a fifty year old who worked the same job for thirty years with online applications to advising a community college student on how to best navigate Blackboard. I loved this job because we were doing real help in a community that desperately needed it. I love that each day required reasoning and logic not just drudgery and repetition.
Pros
helping others, reading during slow times
Cons
there is a cap on how far you can advance without a masters
worst company ever
Electrician (Current Employee) –  horribleDecember 24, 2016
worst place I have ever worked in my 11 years in the trade. this place was the worst. the director was incompetent. they will do anything to brain wash you into to being in an unsafe environment..
Pros
horrible
Cons
horrible
I Enjoyed Working with The Patrons
Public Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 23, 2016
I enjoyed the work, but there was a lot of competition to secure full-time employment. Most library workers were part-time employees with no benefits. Full-time workers enjoyed a full benefit package and a very generous education benefit. I haven't worked at the Library in a while, and everything may have changed. Within months of my leaving, the Library's funding structure changed and employees voted in a union.
Pros
Generous Education Endowment and Benefit Plan
Cons
Back-biting and competition among part-timers to obtain full-time work
Not too stressful but can be political
Library Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 4, 2016
Typical day is helping individuals find books or help with the internet. Coworkers are a little unmotivated to do much. Library-wide there are a lot of politics in regards to who gets which positions.
Pros
Not too stressful
Cons
Hard to move up
Amazing co-workers, incredibly difficult to advance
Library Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 21, 2016
Worked here for several years and moved up the ranks to a Library Services Assistant position. It's very easy to move positions from part time job to part time job or full time job to full time job. However, if you want to switch from part time to full time, be ready to wait a long time, if you get an interview at all. It was not uncommon for people who worked at the library and loved their job to end up leaving because they got tired of waiting for a full time position. The director likes to inflate circulation numbers while cutting costs at the expense of the employees, whether through benefits or converting full time positions to multiple part time positions. Administration does not want to add full time positions, despite that it makes the library as a whole look less informed because there are more new people to train. Despite that, the job itself is a lot of fun, really rewarding, and the people you work with are typically very friendly and helpful. The sick time and PTO are impossible to beat at any other job, although they try to guilt you for actually using your sick time.
Pros
Awesome co-workers, job expectations relatively straight forward, PTO/Sick leave second to none
Cons
Almost impossible to move from part time to full time, benefits are subpar
fun work place
custodian (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 3, 2015
Working at the library is more rewarding than many people that I encountered would believe. I was able to learn multiple things through the unlimited access to information. I met many various types of people.
The library is one of my favorite place to go, so having a job there was great
Shelver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 8, 2015
I started everyday with the same routine. I would arrive 5 minutes before work started and set-up my station to check out trips for delivery. I worked 40 hours a week so I was full-time. I would check email in my cubicle and than start the day. I would be on my feet all day- circulation, packaging boxes and bags, labeling them with tags , and lifting up to 40lbs. When I was finished with my trip, I would take a 15 minute break and head back. I would go and do some shelving in the stacks. It depended on how many trips I had to check out that day. I would go to lunch for an hour and come back to work on some shelf reading, look for missing books, assist part-time shelvers, and label spines of books with call number. Later on, I would have to check out holds and take them over on a cart to shipping and receiving. The day would not be the same all the time, but that is it in a nutshell. I learned skills such as- accuracy, increase in observation, more attention to detail, using computers, working in a fast pace environment, meeting deadlines, assisting more people at once, multi-tasking, and many others. My co-workers were great and all of got along great. No complaints. The hardest part of the job would have to be- remembering every task you had to get done that day. There was always something to do , so you had to remember quite a bit. But I got use to it and it became easier as time passed on. The most enjoyable part of my job was the department felt like a family. We cared about each other and we were there when others needed us the most. I kept in touch with  more... some of my co-workers as close friends out of work. It was a great place to work and I enjoyed it.  less
Pros
Long lunch breaks 1 hour, decent pay, increase in salary per evaluation
Cons
Being downstairs and not seeing the public, not really much customer service to perform (I like to do customer service)
Productive and fun workplace
Library Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 28, 2013
My day at work entails assisting customers with requests for library materials, payments of fines, discussing great works of literature, as well as entertaining film titles. Since I began I have sampled a variety of different languages, a number of book and movie title that I had never seen or heard of before, as well as different ways of interacting with patrons in order to address their needs. My manager and co-workers have done a great job in showing me how to accomplish these and countless other tasks at work, which is why I think of them with great respect and admiration. The hardest part of my job is also the most enjoyable part of my job, which is interacting with the customers. Although it is difficult, at times, to address some of the requests, concerns, and attitudes that are posed by a number of our patrons, I can honestly say that the end result of handling and serving their needs is the most enjoyable part of my job.
A Community Partner who enriches it's community
Materials Retrieval Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 15, 2012
A fast-paced customer focused learning environment.

Many opportunities provided for continuing education to add or advance skills.

Visionary Administrators always looking for ways to update or improve.

There is exceptional support and communications between colleagues which creates cohesion in a team environment.

The hardest part of the job is the inability to act independtly per department/agency because of overlap or shared duties.

A continuous learning environment that is accessible and available to all ages and walks of life. Equal opportunity to all.
Pros
excellent benefits and career advancement opportunities