The Queen's Medical Center Employee Reviews

Lab job
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 15, 2018
Great place to learn something new in the lab. Working amongst locals in a Hawaiian community was different. I felt like an outsider. Management was rule by authority and not very collaborative.
Lack of support
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 9, 2018
Supervisor has a very obvious favoritism and doesn't go by seniority, she has zero management/supervisor experience as she was a staff nurse prior to taking the position. The unit lack a lot of support from the main campus and the management. Always understaffed due to the patient population.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Dumping site of all homeless/behavioral/ high acuity patient
Great stepping stone for Law Enforcement
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 2, 2018
The atmosphere was always active being one of only two trauma hospitals in the state. Many of my former coworkers because officers in the local police or sheriff department.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 23, 2018
Great place to work. Would love to return if possible. This was a great organization to be a part of. Our department was outsourced. If I could have stayed, I would have loved to.
Disappointed by the hospital hierarchy
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 11, 2018
It's their way or the high-way. Nurses are still treated like second rate citizens and the new CEO is all about making money for Queens rather than serving the patients and taking care of the people who work for him.
Excellant place to work
Patient Community Navigator (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 1, 2018
Excellent place to work. Excellent benefits. Management supportive of staff, not micro managers. Managers listen to employees.

Provide open door policy.
Stressed and extremly short staffed
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 25, 2018
On a typical day in the department that I am currently working in, most of the staff is there an hour and half to an earlier than what our clock in time is supposed to be, just trying to "keep our heads above water". We have to answer phone calls, while working on our accounts. Mean while there will be miscellaneous duties being thrown at you, and needs to be done by the end of the day.
Pros
Na
Cons
Too much work for an extremely understaffed department
I’m an RN, new to Queens - I like it here
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 4, 2018
I’m still new, so there is still a lot to learn about Queens Medical and it’s Job culture. But, I like our surgeons & anesthesiologists, they are friendly, competent and good to work with. The staff are nice here also. Yes, I’m a new transplant from the mainland and I know they have seen many like me come and go, but I’ve received a friendly welcome. The quality of care is good. Great place to work or be a patient.
Pros
Cutting edge technology.
Cons
I think it would be easy for new staff to get lost and n the shuffle.
Major teaching institution
Manager, The Queen Emma Clinic (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 19, 2017
A progressive teaching hospital with strong local roots.

Services included on multiple islands of Hawaii

Strong student training programs

Many quality services
awesome place to work
Lead Histology Laboratory Asst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 19, 2017
worked here for over 20+ years. Transferred in 2 departments. The people are great and fun to work with. I quit Queens to relocate to the mainland. I was able to advance my knowledge in different areas of the lab. The down side to working in the lab is that the lab needs better Management.
great place to learn about the medical feild.
SPD Technician (Former Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIOctober 6, 2017
I learned a lot well working with people at queens also the diferrent kinds ethnneck types of people and their believes and their cultures the management was ok being busy was a challenge at times in my department but good part was finishing the job or task.
Pros
free meal tickets.
Cons
short handed in employees
BEST hospital to work at
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 5, 2017
The best job I've ever had was as a nurse at the Queen's Medical Center. Management and benefits are AWESOME. I don't ever intend to leave this company unless its for retirement.
Challenging and unpredictable
Lead Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 20, 2017
Having worked or The Queen's Medical Center now for 15 years I can honestly say that the challenges and lessons learned continue to improve my development as an employee.
Great Experience
Licensed Social Worker (Current Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HISeptember 18, 2017
Great place to work. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. Down fall is it's a hospital that is open 24/7, which means not all positions are Mon-Friday 8-4:30.
Case management gone wrong
Hospital Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 10, 2017
Definitely a "who you know" place when it comes to career stability & advancement.
Patient education & referral materials nonexistent.
Older nurses not wanted, no matter what degrees you have.
No one cares how experienced you are or how excellent you are.
Crazy high department staff turnover,.
Too many travelers with too little experience, no knowledge of Hawaii culture, & they're paid a huge extra amount for housing.
Department salaries way below market wage & other local hospitals
Inexperienced managers who have degrees but no concept of what it takes to do the job.
Your work schedule or assignment get switched without a word of notice.
Oversight is absent.
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Poorly managed
Don't bother
Registered Nurse; Case Management (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 8, 2017
I was extremely unhappy when I worked there and would not recommend it to anyone else. They are full of travelers and new grads which makes for an unsafe work environment. Overall poor pt care and poor employee support.
Stressful
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 7, 2017
The monthly cash goals are high. The job gets really stressful when your manager makes it seem like you can lose your job at any time. Its all about bringing in money. You are expected to maintain all your work queues (yes you have more than 1).
Pros
Good employee benefits.
Cons
Stressful, no job security
Great Management
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 21, 2017
The Respiratory Therapy department has a fantastic management team. They put the employees first and work hard for the department. It is evident within the department as the staff seem very happy to work there.
Cons
employee parking
Good hospital - some challences
Clinical Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  ‘Ewa Beach, HIAugust 11, 2017
Great people and largest medical center in the state. Pay is not bad, but could be better. Patients are great and co workers are also. Parking is difficult at the main facility
Okay
Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 20, 2017
Very busy. Could get stressful depending on the position but mostly is. Management more cares about revenue than the employees sad to say. No matter how long you've worked there, no loyalty.