The RealReal Employee Reviews

Poor management and terrible policies
Luxury Fashion Receiver (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMay 5, 2018
At TRR there is very poor management. They show favoritism. They claim to want to promote employees but never do. And once and employee is on a managers bad side, they do anything to fire them. The hours in a day versus the work that needs to be done never match and employees end up having to stay longer than the required shift hours. The worst part is attendance policy. With the current attendance policy, under no circumstances is anyone allowed to call out no matter what the reason is, i.e. you get in a car accident, your hospitalized, your child is sick, or any other real reason to call out. for every call out you get points, after three call outs you better watch your back or you might get fired...
Pros
united co-workers
Cons
healthcare company, mangers, attendance policy
Great place to work and great people to work with
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
I LOVE working at The RealReal. I knew from the first minute I walked in that I belonged here and that I would enjoy every minute of it. Everyone is so nice, truly wants to get to know you, and cared about you. I love the company culture at The RealReal.
Pros
Flexibility, great people, free bagels, and great company culture
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work but long hours
Warehouse Pack Lead- Supervise and lead (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 11, 2018
Nice company to work for. Need to work more together as a company not by warehouse or teams. Not consistent with rules and regulations within facility.
No opportunities for advancement
Employee (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 24, 2018
My manager did not train me properly but would be upset when I did something wrong. Passive aggressive. Puts blame on others without taking accountability for own mistakes. No room from growth. Felt over qualified.
Pros
free coffee/tea, free lunch once a week
Cons
poor management, boring
working at the real real
E-Commerce Intern (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 3, 2018
all the managers stick together! Even if a manager is wrong and harasses and mistreats their associates, HR still allows it to happen and fires you when you complain. I hated working here and was mistreated so badly!!
Does not pay warehouse enough to deal with stressful issues
Consignors Return Specialist/Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2017
I worked in the Warehouse and when I had tried to apply for a position that I had way more experience in qualifications for they disregarded my inquiry due to needing positions filled in the Warehouse. No place for advancement with how long you are employed there.
If you like your job being threaten everyday then this is the place for you
Fashion Product Receiver (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 14, 2017
The pay is decent if you can't find a better paying job and they have good benefits. Management needs a lot of improvement, they don't know how to thoroughly train you, so you learn something new day by day and by that time you probably have 5 write ups and ready for termination. The rules and ways of operation change so often it's hard to catch up. Good luck.
Pros
free lunch tues and pizza thurs
typical day
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 30, 2017
maintain high productivity score and customer satisfaction is must.

free lunch on Tuesday's and Thursdays

very strict attendance policy

work place culture, is very diverse.
Extremely stressful, low pay, no one likes it here.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2017
First, most or all of the 5 star reviews here are fake. They were written by 1 or 2 managers in order to counteract all of the negative reviews (I actually witnessed my manager writing one of them). No one likes it here. The work is extremely stressful, the managers look down on the warehouse workers, and if you complain about anything they’ll get mad at you. At least one person quit every week that I was there.
Always Something New
Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 13, 2017
I have been with TRR for years and have worked in many different positions. No day is truly typical - working with product there is always something new to discover and learn about. Working behind the scenes we are solving problems that are unique to our position as resale leaders. I have been awesomely fortunate to work alongside managers who have developed me and challenged me to grow. I have made lasting friendships throughout my time here, gained mentors and have been able to lead others into new positions.

Overall it's a great place to learn and a positive place to walk into each day.
Pros
Free lunch, full scale benefits
Cons
Commute can be tough
Working at The RealReal - Amazing!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 13, 2017
The culture and environment are extremely fun, passionate and friendly! You are able to learn about every aspect of the business by working with all the departments, truly growing your career experiences.

The team here is talented, driven and passionate about moving the business forward. They are constantly promoting from within and listen to suggestions from each employee. They want everyone to succeed.

The company is growing at a very quick pace which is great however, you must be comfortable with shifting priorities and be independent. If you are someone who is looking for an exciting career opportunity with the ability to implement and improve processes join The RealReal
Pros
Opportunity for growth, great benefits, opportunity to implement process and change, team building, work life balance, 401 K match
I love working at The RealReal
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 1, 2017
I love working at this company. It is extremely fast paced. There is a ton to learn on a daily basis. The culture is very collaborative and cross-functional, so you are able to learn about every aspect of the business.

Everyone here is super smart, driven and passionate about moving the business forward. It is a true meritocracy- the more you put in, the more you will get out of it. We believe it promoting from within and are committed to helping our employees achieve their professional goals.

Because the company is growing so quickly, you must be comfortable with shifting priorities and ambiguity. If you are someone who thrives in an ever changing environment, this company is for you!
Pros
gorgeous office, opportunity for growth, great benefits, really smart people
Cons
ambiguity, lack of structure and process
"Great Career Growth Opportunity"
Operations (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2017
Hard work and ethics are recognized. For anyone who wants to put in the work and be a team player - the sky is the limit. If you are looking for growth opportunities The RealReal is the place!
Pros
Great vacation policy
Great company - it is what you make of it
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2017
A few things to take into consideration: this is a Luxury Product/eCommerce/Consignment company. If you're familiar with these industries individually, you will understand that:

-we work with a pretty demanding clientele (luxury product)
-we are changing things regularly (tech/eCommerce)
-it's a process (consignment)

Yes: we move quickly, there is a lot to be expected from us, and we have to be flexible.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but I think this is definitely the kind of place where your job here is what you make of it.

I have not seen/met anyone in my time here that is not willing to help; however, it's important that you are self-sufficient.

The benefits are great, the company culture is great, and the growth is incredible. There is A LOT of potential, but like anything - it takes work and patience.
Pros
Great benefits, Growth, Company Culture
Cons
Workload/Hours
Super Cool Technology Company With A Mission
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2017
The RealReal is an incredibly unique place to work. I love being around beautiful things, that are not coming from China, but are part of the circular economy. If you get to work here, you will receive equity in a late stage start up! Sure, there's tons of change, pressure and mistakes, but there's also amazing people and a lot of opportunity if you want more.

Let's face it, if you have a degree in photography, writing, fashion and you can get a job here, do it! Much, much more opportunity for the right attitude, but then again you have to want to roll up your sleeves.

I read the reviews and wondered about what it would be like to work here. It's really a cool place.
Pros
Changing the way we buy.
Cons
Some people come here and want to complain, or not work hard.
Learning Experiece
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 19, 2017
A regular day at work is walk in, immediately get an email with quota for the day and then pretty much just work like your life dependent on it. Maybe ta a lunch depends if it's Tuesday Seamless (which they cut down our price amount to spend) and Thursday pizza day. There was bagels on Fridays which was a total bonus. IF you reached your quota then you can leave which can be at anytime. It can be at 5:00, 5:15 or 5:30. Never really left on time.

I honestly learned about time management in a workplace. I surely walked out with tough skin.

The workplace was diverse. I enjoyed working with fellow coworkers. Everyone there is very friendly, fun, welcoming and helpful. I got along with everyone from all departments and never had a problem. The coworkers really got me through the day. Great team.

The hardest part of the job was hands down the quota. Having to reach your quota no matter what every single day. Hopefully you don't have a bad day and miss it by 10. Extremely cut throat. Making quota is overwhelming huge deal and having to make your quota within two months. It's overwhelming and extremely stressful to make quota everyday and MAYBE having to stay late. Tons of pressure.

There is probably only about a couple things that are enjoyable. Coworkers are great and the food themes that occurs once and a while which is pretty cool. Pretty much the free food is all around awesome.
Pros
Free food and benefits
Cons
Staying late, pressure on making quota and favoritism
Productive non stop work environment
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 14, 2017
Day to Day: clock-in, receive product, begin copy writing, 10 min huddle, lunch, return to workspace and clock out. Free lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays and breakfast on Fridays.

Management has an open door policy and they are willing to train if you need additional help reaching quota.

Workplace culture; there is place for advancement, favoritism is obvious and there is a teamwork environment.

The hardest part of the job is reaching quota within 2 month of getting hired.

The most enjoyable part of working at The Real Real is the fun themed lunch they host and the snacks they provide.
Pros
Free lunches, free breakfast, diverse workplace and cater to new mothers.
Cons
Shuttle service for commuters is inconsistent, dusty work environment and raise are in cents not dollars
They need professional insted of this Manager's
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 17, 2017
They should pay more to the employees because people are leaving every week and we stay stuck with more work manager's never help they always M.I.A...
Pros
Free Pizza on Thursday
Cons
Tuesdays are not free lunches they take the 10$ off your Check
An okay enviornment without the struggle of management.
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 5, 2017
The job itself is cool and content but the way things are ran are completely out of line and do not contain a steady system. Management is not trained, and it is competitive upon the studio.
Fun people to work with
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 5, 2017
the work environment is very easy to adjust to, there's always free lunches every week, and the work load is never unbearable. just would be great if management was more professional and fair,
Pros
free lunches on tuesday
Cons
Being well liked is more important than work ethic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The RealReal. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The RealReal Reviews by Location