The RealReal Employee Reviews

TRR transformed "resale" to an accessible online phenomenon
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
My professional experience of many years includes hospitality and restaurant management, personal service and retail has been invaluable in my career. Living in SF now, after joining The RealReal, has been a wonderful opportunity to the (ultra) successful world of the "start up experience!" The challenges and resolutions are as fast and quick fire as previous positions. But different. Although I may be a more experienced colleague on the team, I may lend some "vision" to the younger team members based on team spirit and collaboration!
Pros
Bagel Friday
i am looking to go back to the real real
Consignor Return Specialist (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 19, 2018
everyone was great to work with, the pay was great, theirs other department you can work in, she offered lunch twice a week, breakfast on Friday morning, there are food and coffee vending machine which made it very convenience at lunch time, the company celebrated monthly birthdays and anniversity, they care about their employees, I learn something new and different and the work was easy to learn
Productive and innovate company
Consignor Return Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJAugust 16, 2018
Excellent environment to work and a lot of professional ethics. Manager is very communicative with his teamwork and very concerned with his personal workers problems. The whole administration of the factory treats its staff with respect.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Litle stress with the trafffic to get to my job
Copywriter
COPYWRITER (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJuly 12, 2018
A typical day copywriting at TheRealReal involves inspecting, on average, 130 articles of clothing everyday for wear and authenticity, pricing, data entry and pricing. Talking amongst the other copywriters is strongly not encouraged. There is very little shift from day to day and there is very little training to help with advancement, that is placed solely on the individual. Benefits are minimal, if nonexistent.
There is marginal training on how to authenticate luxury goods.
The hardest part of the job is the job is the monotony of the repetitive nature of the job.
Pros
Subsidized Lunches
Cons
Poor healthcare benefits, minimal schedule flexibility
Lots of work for low pay and benefits.
Receiving Expediter (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, CAJune 13, 2018
I worked as a runner at the firm which basically means I picked up the receivers work from their workstations and take it to the warehouse section. I do that everyday I'm working there so it gets very repetitive quickly. Not seeing any possibility for promotion in the near future.
Pros
Free bagels every Friday, free coffee, tea.
Cons
Everything else costs money-the food.
Poor management and terrible policies
Luxury Fashion Receiver (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMay 5, 2018
At TRR there is very poor management. They show favoritism. They claim to want to promote employees but never do. And once and employee is on a managers bad side, they do anything to fire them. The hours in a day versus the work that needs to be done never match and employees end up having to stay longer than the required shift hours. The worst part is attendance policy. With the current attendance policy, under no circumstances is anyone allowed to call out no matter what the reason is, i.e. you get in a car accident, your hospitalized, your child is sick, or any other real reason to call out. for every call out you get points, after three call outs you better watch your back or you might get fired...
Pros
united co-workers
Cons
healthcare company, mangers, attendance policy
Great place to work and great people to work with
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
I LOVE working at The RealReal. I knew from the first minute I walked in that I belonged here and that I would enjoy every minute of it. Everyone is so nice, truly wants to get to know you, and cared about you. I love the company culture at The RealReal.
Pros
Flexibility, great people, free bagels, and great company culture
Cons
N/a
Not quite what I expected and far more sales based
Luxury Client Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2018
This company has LCM's traveling all over and coordinating appointments.... which was expected... but on top of all that there was a sales quota to meet that made this position an 80 hour a week job to do successfully. I didn't have that kind of time to offer.
Pros
always something to work on
Cons
sales quotas are difficult to meet and confusing to track
50/50. I guess it depends on your outlook.
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 24, 2018
As we all know the work environment is the most important factor of any job, and at the Real Real it was terrible. It’s nothing but shade and unprofessionalism. They literally hire and and everyone (being the first mistake). Everyone works very long hours and early morning with little to no reward from our company. Some of the work policies are also ridiculous.
Pros
You can try to make the best out of it!
Fun place to work but long hours
Warehouse Pack Lead- Supervise and lead (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 11, 2018
Nice company to work for. Need to work more together as a company not by warehouse or teams. Not consistent with rules and regulations within facility.
No opportunities for advancement
Employee (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 24, 2018
My manager did not train me properly but would be upset when I did something wrong. Passive aggressive. Puts blame on others without taking accountability for own mistakes. No room from growth. Felt over qualified.
Pros
free coffee/tea, free lunch once a week
Cons
poor management, boring
face paced diverse environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time at this job.you will meet a lot of people while you're working . it isn't impossible to advance but it also depends what department you're in as well what manager you're under.
working at the real real
E-Commerce Intern (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 3, 2018
all the managers stick together! Even if a manager is wrong and harasses and mistreats their associates, HR still allows it to happen and fires you when you complain. I hated working here and was mistreated so badly!!
Does not pay warehouse enough to deal with stressful issues
Consignors Return Specialist/Warehouse Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2017
I worked in the Warehouse and when I had tried to apply for a position that I had way more experience in qualifications for they disregarded my inquiry due to needing positions filled in the Warehouse. No place for advancement with how long you are employed there.
If you like your job being threaten everyday then this is the place for you
Fashion Product Receiver (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 14, 2017
The pay is decent if you can't find a better paying job and they have good benefits. Management needs a lot of improvement, they don't know how to thoroughly train you, so you learn something new day by day and by that time you probably have 5 write ups and ready for termination. The rules and ways of operation change so often it's hard to catch up. Good luck.
Pros
free lunch tues and pizza thurs
hours and travel
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 9, 2017
the hours and travel is too much if you're coming from ny. theres alot of things that can cause you to be late .. going to work or coming home. If you drive it can work out better
Pros
free lunch on thursday
Cons
mandatory overtime
typical day
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 30, 2017
maintain high productivity score and customer satisfaction is must.

free lunch on Tuesday's and Thursdays

very strict attendance policy

work place culture, is very diverse.
Extremely stressful, low pay, no one likes it here.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2017
First, most or all of the 5 star reviews here are fake. They were written by 1 or 2 managers in order to counteract all of the negative reviews (I actually witnessed my manager writing one of them). No one likes it here. The work is extremely stressful, the managers look down on the warehouse workers, and if you complain about anything they’ll get mad at you. At least one person quit every week that I was there.
Always Something New
Manager (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 13, 2017
I have been with TRR for years and have worked in many different positions. No day is truly typical - working with product there is always something new to discover and learn about. Working behind the scenes we are solving problems that are unique to our position as resale leaders. I have been awesomely fortunate to work alongside managers who have developed me and challenged me to grow. I have made lasting friendships throughout my time here, gained mentors and have been able to lead others into new positions.

Overall it's a great place to learn and a positive place to walk into each day.
Pros
Free lunch, full scale benefits
Cons
Commute can be tough
Working at The RealReal - Amazing!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 13, 2017
The culture and environment are extremely fun, passionate and friendly! You are able to learn about every aspect of the business by working with all the departments, truly growing your career experiences.

The team here is talented, driven and passionate about moving the business forward. They are constantly promoting from within and listen to suggestions from each employee. They want everyone to succeed.

The company is growing at a very quick pace which is great however, you must be comfortable with shifting priorities and be independent. If you are someone who is looking for an exciting career opportunity with the ability to implement and improve processes join The RealReal
Pros
Opportunity for growth, great benefits, opportunity to implement process and change, team building, work life balance, 401 K match

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The RealReal. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight