The RealReal Employee Reviews

Great Job
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMarch 10, 2019
Enjoyed working here for the benefits. Worked ten hour shifts. Strict deadlines. Management as ok, but can be better. Co-workers were all very friendly.
The RealReal
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMarch 10, 2019
I learned a lot working at therealreal. I wish they valued quality vs. quantity. Though it was learning experience and I did grow with the company. I do miss this job.
Pros
advancement, good management, critique, learning advancements
Cons
long hours, unpredictable, never know what time you leave work
If you value yourself don't work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 25, 2019
I wish I never worked here. They have a serious operational problem which they need to serious address. Alot of Management and HR are NOT HELPFUL!!!!!
Benefits
Cons
Not valued as an employee. Management is not helpful. Alot of favoritism. Etc
Ok for young people
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 16, 2019
TRR is a great place for young millenials looking to break into fashion who can dedicate 10-11 hours a day working at their warehouse. The hours are long, you usually work weekends and it's not conducive for parents with young or school-age children.
Diverse and fun work environment, huge space, people easy to get along with.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, CAFebruary 15, 2019
Diverse and fun work environment with bagel every Friday also lunch for $50/mo. People are easy to get along with. Good benefits. But treatment was not that good.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Uncollaborative Work Environment
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, CAFebruary 5, 2019
The company focuses money and energy more at the corporate level rather than add funds to the daily operations. Held accountable for unrealistic goals and it is a cutthroat company. I've seen more people leave in my 2 years since I've started! My Manager is two faced and is never on the floor to see what we need. They'll let you go at any given time without any warning. High turnover, lack of respect for your hard efforts and paid the minimum wage of $15.00 which results in a high turnover. I've been trained in multiple departments which should allow for me to make above the minimum wage! They hire temporary help instead of paying a higher salary for increased retention. Start looking at your employees and show them that you care for their services. There are a lot of great employees there but not well taken care of. I'm hoping to leave soon before it's too late.
Pros
Bagel days
Cons
Upper Management in a cut throat environment
If you want to keep your sanity, stay away.
Fashion Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, CAJanuary 29, 2019
Just saying now that I think my opinions may be slightly biased because I already have a currently terrible home life. I just don't get a break either way. But I am going to try my best to stay neutral and talk about both the good and bad things based on my experience working here so far.

So I would just like to start off with the fact that I am very glad I got this job because of how much it taught me- both the good and bad things about having a job, life in general and fashion. I got my foot in the door of the fashion industry and I've learned so much about this field that I feel like I have a solid foundation now. Even though this position paid me dirt, I was able to save enough money to move out soon and I've made some solid friends here despite the drama at work. I just really love most of my coworkers and I've met some of the nicest, most fun and hilarious bunch.

However, SO many things need massive improvement. I truly believe in this company and I absolutely love the concept The RealReal pushes for in terms of recycling luxury fashion- "sustainable fashion", if you will. The unfortunate thing is that our management and HR, more or less, is utter garbage. Everything is a mess and unorganized. This is my biggest problem here. They act so unprofessionally at times, will blatantly take out their anger on us, leave us hanging for days and never give us straight answers about anything at all. They treat us literally like little cogs in a machine. Our wellbeing and needs do not matter to them as all they ever care or talk about is the numbers we provide for them. That's
  more... all its ever been about, numbers and quotas. And God forbid, if they ever mess up, they will never admit to it and somehow we end up paying the consequences of their incompetence.

I suggest to everyone applying here, that come here only if you were in my boat and are desperate for a way in the fashion industry or if it's just for the money. Otherwise, I am telling you that you deserve way better than any of this. You will end up forfeiting your soul, mental & physical health to this corporation and it's NOT worth it.

Good luck.
Pros
3-4 free meals a month, free coffee, free bagels every Friday, good health insurance, experience with luxury products
Cons
Everything else.
not a place for growth
Assistant Manager Luxury Fashion Reciever (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, CAJanuary 15, 2019
overall is not a place for growth, lack of communication with hire management. HR has zero care and lack of communation, pay grade is not equally fair across the board, forced overtime
Place totally sucks
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 6, 2019
Really poor management they all play favorites the most worthless producers get promotions they are rude and bias they change goals really bad company they won’t be around long they owe a lot of money
Pros
Zero
Cons
Managemet Hr bAd too
Working here was like Heaven
Receiving Clerk-Runner (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, CADecember 25, 2018
If I had made more money per hour I would have stayed on but it was not enough tolive in SF Bay Area and I wanted to come back to Utah and the job I took did but I would have liked to have been able to stay there is the money was better
Pros
All PROS
Cons
Low pay
SLAVE WORK- Pay sucks and poor management.
Photographer/ Assistant Wardrobe Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2018
Working as a photo production assistant felt like working for a civilized sweat shop. The warehouse manager needs to be replaced. She as no people skills and hires bad leaderships to make an overall poor management team. Favoritism is shown in the department and is the only way you will move up into a leadership roll. Managers have relationships with employees outside of work which I believe is a conflict of interest. The daily quota is to high!!! Standing on cement floors is terrible working conditions in my opinion causing you to be in pain and discomfort to actual produce good work. Very HIGH turn over and the pay needs to be increased $16 is not enough for the job, or even enough to survive in the Bay Area.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Great resume filler
Don't work here
Fashion Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, CANovember 16, 2018
They don't value you. The rules and goings on of the company are sparsely explained. Management is often unfair. The job feels pointless. You're just a machine. All they care about is numbers.
Pros
Food selection, coffee machines, work with beautiful designer pieces
Cons
Communication with management and HR, will sometimes not pay you properly and ignore you for days or weeks
Great growing company
Senior Operations Manger (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 14, 2018
Stability needed in the executive leadership, but overall great company. Advancement and growth is available for you if you want it. Great leadership and good benefits.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits
The only good reviews are management
Editor/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  SecaucusNovember 9, 2018
Don't work here if you're not being hired in a management position. The pay is lousy and you are extremely disposable. They will change your workload/duties however they please because they can't manage the amount of product they get efficiently. This is due to extremely poor management who spend most of their time chatting/ignoring who they are supposed to be managing.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Constantly changing everything, low pay, increasing amounts of work when everyone hits their goals, managers don't care, little/no upward mobility
Don't Work Here
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2018
My job description was nothing as described, I was asked to do things that were not my job everyday. I got no experience to take to another job or to move up in this company. The employees are treated horribly and none of their opinions matter. Don't bother working here, you will not get the experience you are looking for. They only care about money - which I understand is the point of any company - but unhappy employees and extremely high employee turnover is not the way to succeed.
Just Okay
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2018
It depends on what you want. I worked in the warehouse. If you don't mind working hard and being asked to reach goals that continue to increase without adequate training, coaching, positive feedback, compenstaion and time then this is the place for you. In contrast, if you want to engage in a more rewarding, positive work enviornment that values the craft/art of what you do and values and nurtures the employees' development and progress instead of the desire for high numbers by any means than this is not the company for you. Don't waste your time anywhere. Seriously answer this question for yourself, your development and contentment before deciding whether to work for this company. Good luck!
Pros
food
Cons
management
Ok
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  BrisbaneNovember 1, 2018
Low pay. Lots of work. Lots is overtime if you want it. VERY VERY HIGH turnover rate!!!! Supervisor doesn’t know what he’s doing, not professional at all.
Pros
4/10 work schedule
Cons
Unprofessional supervisor
Poor Management in a sweatshop-like environment
Photography Assistant (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 1, 2018
When I began the job description was presented slightly different than what the day-to-day operations actually are. Management can show favoritism; this has often been seen through the promotion process that is based less on actual qualifying skills but more on who is liked the most by management and leadership teams. Quotas are not consistent, they change constantly, so do the rules and protocols for day-to-day operations. Since being hired the turn over rate of hired employees is ever growing; many people leave because of the unrealistic quotas and goals, and unspoken rules that are presented.
Where this could be a great position for a person first entering a field, it is no where for a creative or a professional photographer, as the work-life-balance is essentially non-existent and possibly the number one grievance amongst the employees. As this company grows from a start-up to a corporation it is clear that the physical and mental health of employees are at the very tail end of ehat matters to the company. this is softened by free bagels and occasional free food.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
poor management, inconsistency
Fun working environment
Senior Business Development Manager | Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
I absolutely love The RealReal and have recommended a ton of people to work there. I recently relocated to another state and am looking to work closer to home in NJ!
TRR transformed "resale" to an accessible online phenomenon
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
My professional experience of many years includes hospitality and restaurant management, personal service and retail has been invaluable in my career. Living in SF now, after joining The RealReal, has been a wonderful opportunity to the (ultra) successful world of the "start up experience!" The challenges and resolutions are as fast and quick fire as previous positions. But different. Although I may be a more experienced colleague on the team, I may lend some "vision" to the younger team members based on team spirit and collaboration!
Pros
Bagel Friday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The RealReal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The RealReal.

Powered by Comparably