The RealReal Employee Reviews

SLAVE WORK- Pay sucks and poor management.
Photographer/ Assistant Wardrobe Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2018
Working as a photo production assistant felt like working for a civilized sweat shop. The warehouse manager needs to be replaced. She as no people skills and hires bad leaderships to make an overall poor management team. Favoritism is shown in the department and is the only way you will move up into a leadership roll. Managers have relationships with employees outside of work which I believe is a conflict of interest. The daily quota is to high!!! Standing on cement floors is terrible working conditions in my opinion causing you to be in pain and discomfort to actual produce good work. Very HIGH turn over and the pay needs to be increased $16 is not enough for the job, or even enough to survive in the Bay Area.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Great resume filler
Don't work here
Fashion Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, CANovember 16, 2018
They don't value you. The rules and goings on of the company are sparsely explained. Management is often unfair. The job feels pointless. You're just a machine. All they care about is numbers.
Pros
Food selection, coffee machines, work with beautiful designer pieces
Cons
Communication with management and HR, will sometimes not pay you properly and ignore you for days or weeks
Great growing company
Senior Operations Manger (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 14, 2018
Stability needed in the executive leadership, but overall great company. Advancement and growth is available for you if you want it. Great leadership and good benefits.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits
The only good reviews are management
Editor/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  SecaucusNovember 9, 2018
Don't work here if you're not being hired in a management position. The pay is lousy and you are extremely disposable. They will change your workload/duties however they please because they can't manage the amount of product they get efficiently. This is due to extremely poor management who spend most of their time chatting/ignoring who they are supposed to be managing.
Pros
Occasional free food
Cons
Constantly changing everything, low pay, increasing amounts of work when everyone hits their goals, managers don't care, little/no upward mobility
Don't Work Here
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2018
My job description was nothing as described, I was asked to do things that were not my job everyday. I got no experience to take to another job or to move up in this company. The employees are treated horribly and none of their opinions matter. Don't bother working here, you will not get the experience you are looking for. They only care about money - which I understand is the point of any company - but unhappy employees and extremely high employee turnover is not the way to succeed.
Ok
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  BrisbaneNovember 1, 2018
Low pay. Lots of work. Lots is overtime if you want it. VERY VERY HIGH turnover rate!!!! Supervisor doesn’t know what he’s doing, not professional at all.
Pros
4/10 work schedule
Cons
Unprofessional supervisor
Poor Management in a sweatshop-like environment
Photography Assistant (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 1, 2018
When I began the job description was presented slightly different than what the day-to-day operations actually are. Management can show favoritism; this has often been seen through the promotion process that is based less on actual qualifying skills but more on who is liked the most by management and leadership teams. Quotas are not consistent, they change constantly, so do the rules and protocols for day-to-day operations. Since being hired the turn over rate of hired employees is ever growing; many people leave because of the unrealistic quotas and goals, and unspoken rules that are presented.
Where this could be a great position for a person first entering a field, it is no where for a creative or a professional photographer, as the work-life-balance is essentially non-existent and possibly the number one grievance amongst the employees. As this company grows from a start-up to a corporation it is clear that the physical and mental health of employees are at the very tail end of ehat matters to the company. this is softened by free bagels and occasional free food.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
poor management, inconsistency
Fun working environment
Senior Business Development Manager | Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
I absolutely love The RealReal and have recommended a ton of people to work there. I recently relocated to another state and am looking to work closer to home in NJ!
TRR transformed "resale" to an accessible online phenomenon
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 25, 2018
My professional experience of many years includes hospitality and restaurant management, personal service and retail has been invaluable in my career. Living in SF now, after joining The RealReal, has been a wonderful opportunity to the (ultra) successful world of the "start up experience!" The challenges and resolutions are as fast and quick fire as previous positions. But different. Although I may be a more experienced colleague on the team, I may lend some "vision" to the younger team members based on team spirit and collaboration!
Pros
Bagel Friday
i am looking to go back to the real real
Consignor Return Specialist (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 19, 2018
everyone was great to work with, the pay was great, theirs other department you can work in, she offered lunch twice a week, breakfast on Friday morning, there are food and coffee vending machine which made it very convenience at lunch time, the company celebrated monthly birthdays and anniversity, they care about their employees, I learn something new and different and the work was easy to learn
Zero work/ life balance.
Photo Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJSeptember 13, 2018
This company is a newer company and it shows in the way they handle literally everything. From the constant changes to every policy to the lack of managerial skills and what it takes to run a business and studio, you can easily see this place needs some reform. The work/ life balance here is hard. It can feel more like a sweat shop at times. Quotas are constantly changing and you are expected to hit extremely high numbers even over quota alot. No one has answers to anything. HR is useless most of the time. And all the higher ups all stick together to make you feel dumb and insignificant.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
everything
Productive and innovate company
Consignor Return Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Bergen, NJAugust 16, 2018
Excellent environment to work and a lot of professional ethics. Manager is very communicative with his teamwork and very concerned with his personal workers problems. The whole administration of the factory treats its staff with respect.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Litle stress with the trafffic to get to my job
Copywriter
COPYWRITER (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJuly 12, 2018
A typical day copywriting at TheRealReal involves inspecting, on average, 130 articles of clothing everyday for wear and authenticity, pricing, data entry and pricing. Talking amongst the other copywriters is strongly not encouraged. There is very little shift from day to day and there is very little training to help with advancement, that is placed solely on the individual. Benefits are minimal, if nonexistent.
There is marginal training on how to authenticate luxury goods.
The hardest part of the job is the job is the monotony of the repetitive nature of the job.
Pros
Subsidized Lunches
Cons
Poor healthcare benefits, minimal schedule flexibility
Lots of work for low pay and benefits.
Receiving Expediter (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, CAJune 13, 2018
I worked as a runner at the firm which basically means I picked up the receivers work from their workstations and take it to the warehouse section. I do that everyday I'm working there so it gets very repetitive quickly. Not seeing any possibility for promotion in the near future.
Pros
Free bagels every Friday, free coffee, tea.
Cons
Everything else costs money-the food.
Poor management and terrible policies
Luxury Fashion Receiver (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJMay 5, 2018
At TRR there is very poor management. They show favoritism. They claim to want to promote employees but never do. And once and employee is on a managers bad side, they do anything to fire them. The hours in a day versus the work that needs to be done never match and employees end up having to stay longer than the required shift hours. The worst part is attendance policy. With the current attendance policy, under no circumstances is anyone allowed to call out no matter what the reason is, i.e. you get in a car accident, your hospitalized, your child is sick, or any other real reason to call out. for every call out you get points, after three call outs you better watch your back or you might get fired...
Pros
united co-workers
Cons
healthcare company, mangers, attendance policy
Great place to work and great people to work with
HR Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
I LOVE working at The RealReal. I knew from the first minute I walked in that I belonged here and that I would enjoy every minute of it. Everyone is so nice, truly wants to get to know you, and cared about you. I love the company culture at The RealReal.
Pros
Flexibility, great people, free bagels, and great company culture
Cons
N/a
Not quite what I expected and far more sales based
Luxury Client Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2018
This company has LCM's traveling all over and coordinating appointments.... which was expected... but on top of all that there was a sales quota to meet that made this position an 80 hour a week job to do successfully. I didn't have that kind of time to offer.
Pros
always something to work on
Cons
sales quotas are difficult to meet and confusing to track
50/50. I guess it depends on your outlook.
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 24, 2018
As we all know the work environment is the most important factor of any job, and at the Real Real it was terrible. It’s nothing but shade and unprofessionalism. They literally hire and and everyone (being the first mistake). Everyone works very long hours and early morning with little to no reward from our company. Some of the work policies are also ridiculous.
Pros
You can try to make the best out of it!
Fun place to work but long hours
Warehouse Pack Lead- Supervise and lead (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJFebruary 11, 2018
Nice company to work for. Need to work more together as a company not by warehouse or teams. Not consistent with rules and regulations within facility.
No opportunities for advancement
Employee (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 24, 2018
My manager did not train me properly but would be upset when I did something wrong. Passive aggressive. Puts blame on others without taking accountability for own mistakes. No room from growth. Felt over qualified.
Pros
free coffee/tea, free lunch once a week
Cons
poor management, boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The RealReal. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight