The Retirement Group Employee Reviews

A typical day at work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2018
From the moment I arrived at work, there was constant negativity towards me and some others because we didn't belong to the "it crowd." I was happy to leave this company.
Pros
Monthly group birthday celebrations
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Decent company with good service for clients
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I worked with TRG for three years. It was a decent company to work for. The service they provide to their clients is invaluable and have the clients best interests in mind. I enjoyed speaking with these folks on a daily basis. Sometimes it could be unenjoyable but it happens. Coworkers were great. Management was good as well. You could tell they cared but also expected hard work. Enjoyed having lunch on Thursdays on the house while there.
Pros
Coworkers, customers/clients were great, valuable service, lunches
Cons
Hard work, fast paced, office layout
Opportunity to create the life you want
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 18, 2018
The opportunity here is like none other. Having a paid training program and also having a mentor to teach you what it takes is rare these days. This is a tough industry and it is not for everyone. Learning what it takes and how to make it here will carry me through my career. Also, the education and the service we provide to those we work with is invaluable. Helping people make decisions that will impact them for many years is extremely gratifying.
Pros
Paid training, opportunity to help others, mentoring, valuable experience
Cons
Long hours, lots of pressure at times
Pleasurable experience with a great group of people
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2018
My time here was a pleasurable experience. It was never meant to be a long term position for me. The team there was fantastic. They were always friendly and helpful. I had great training there and was able to learn quite a lot actually. It can get crazy around there but most jobs are like that. TRG provides a great service to the people they work with. I was happy to be a part of it while I was there.
Pros
Great team, fulfilling job, lunches on Thursdays, training
Cons
Stressful at times, dealing with rejection on phone, not many days off
Reshaped how I look at success and hard work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 28, 2018
Working here, I learned how to work well with a professional team as well as what hard work and success looks like. Company is great to work for and they have the clients best interest at had which is extremely important these days. I would recommend this company to anyone. I enjoyed the training sessions as well. I was able to learn a lot..
Pros
Great training, professional culture, and free lunches
Cons
Long days, stressful sometimes
Friendly and supportive team
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2018
We worked with a lot of different characters. Everyone brings something fun to the table. The job requires focus and patience at times. Expectations can be high as well. Because of the team however it makes being there enjoyable. It was a good job for me while I was there.
Pros
Friendly and fun staff, lunches for birthdays and cake, lunches on Fridays here and there, decent pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful at times, smaller cubicles, kitchen area could be improved, minor complaints
Going in the right direction
Independent Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 9, 2018
Great company to help get your practice back on track. I work independently but love what I see from our home office. The back office support is second to none. From operations to accounting to the advisor trainees, it is top notch. Company is growing and this is due to vision, teamwork, and communication. Really excites me to see where things go from here.
Pros
Great support structure, great office rapport, client driven service
Cons
Hard time getting solid, committed callers, newer ones seem to not be able to meet expectations
Great diversity and supportive staff
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2018
I have enjoyed my time at The Retirement Group. It has its moments like any other company. I have a great team I work with everyday. We have the ability to help others and answer questions to help them with their future success. The traffic getting there is crazy at times which can add hours to the day. The kitchen in the main building could be bigger. Overall good company.
Pros
Great diversity in office, Friendly and helpful staff, Opportunity for overtime, Ability to help people and answer their questions, Lunches on Fridays
Cons
Traffic can be crazy at times, could use a bigger kitchen
Follow the process and the rest will come
Independent Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2017
Complete autonomy of your schedule and effort. It's quite simple if you're someone who thrives, you'll have a great career. I was an intern while in college and learned more in a summer about life and business then I had in a lifetime. I decided to go into the advising side and have not looked back. Opportunities are around every corner here. We help folks do the most they can for retirement and truly provide a benefit to those who work with us. You want to start off right in this business? You start here.
Pros
Great training, ability to build practice, valuable benefits to clients, tons of opportunities
Cons
Callers can be negative and unreliable, lack of options for lunch
Helped me to grow my business with a superior model
Independent Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 24, 2017
I joined The Retirement Group so that I could supplement my current business model. I was at a stagnant point in my career. Referrals were dried up and I just wasn't able to find any new business close to home - enter The Retirement Group. I was able to learn their system and processes and extend my market into other regions using their model. Not only that, I am able to provide insight and value above and beyond what other advisors are doing. Joining the team here has reinvigorated my practice and my excitement doing what I love.
Pros
Flexibility, business model, independence, value driven, differentiation
Cons
Travel, lots of studying in the beginning
Short term ended up being long term
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 22, 2017
This was, in the beginning, going to be a short contract position. However, the management there and my peers made me feel like a member of the team from day one. I decided to stay on much longer than originally anticipated. I formed some great relationships and learned more than I could have hoped for.

If it wasn't for the one hour commute each way, I would have loved to continue working. It set me up for success in my current position though. I miss it.
Pros
Culture was great, opportunity was great, fun team, free lunches never hurt
Cons
Traffic and drive time
Good company but tough to swallow sometimes
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2017
Working here was not an enjoyable experience. It was a call center type environment. People would call up and very rudely, and ignorantly speak at us and not to us. They were often upset about something out of our control. Company itself wasn't bad just the job itself.
Pros
Free lunches, good people
Cons
Rude callers, on phone a lot
Overall good company just make sure you want what you're working towards
Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 21, 2017
The Retirement Group has a great work environment. They also have many benefits as well as career opportunities to offer. They offer a great training program as well. I did not enjoy the work so much which made the job tedious. They seemed to put work before life in the beginning. Overall I would rate this a good company to work for but expect to work a lot. Make sure this is what you want.
Pros
Good training, multiple opportunities, decent pay and benefits
Cons
Lots of hours, long training, hard work
If you want to be the best, this is the place
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 19, 2017
Being an advisor is a tough job and even tougher to make it in the industry. Going through the training here, while difficult at times, will ensure that you have the skills and knowledge needed to be successful. Not only that, the model here gives an increased probability of building a thriving practice. Being in the business prior to TRG, it was hard to separate yourself from other advisors. Here, we are able to provide immense value to our clients that will give you an edge over others. Again, the training is difficult at times and work life balance is definitely off balance but the reward is worth it.
Pros
Training, mentoring, business model, paid training with benefits, great team, unlimited potential
Cons
Work life balance, high expectations
Don't expect time off
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 13, 2017
Worked here for seven months. I couldn't take time off when I wanted to. Always had to be on the phone during the day. The people I worked with were great but management expects a lot of their staff. We had certain goals we needed to hit on a daily basis and lots of training meetings. It is just too much when you have so many things going on outside of work. I wish they could have been more flexible with time off.
Pros
Good people, lunch brought in on Fridays
Cons
No flexibility with time off, high expectations, lots of training
Hard work and high expectations
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 12, 2017
I got recruited through a job recruiter right out of college. Knowing financial services isn't something i wanted to do, however, I took the position. I worked in the customer service department and it was the most stressful time of my life while working there, even though they put us through training.They need to extend the training or something. Half the people I trained with got let go or left a few weeks in. It is a decent opportunity but expectations are high here so just be prepared. People there are great and have a good attitude towards everything. Just not for me.
Pros
Good people, decent pay, health benefits
Cons
Hard work with high expectations. Not enough training.
Unlimited potential if you can get through the training
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2017
The training program at TRG is known to be one of the best, but it is also not for the fainthearted. The lessons and skills you learn will serve you in every aspect of your life and will set you on the path to finding success in the financial industry. The hours are long and the expectations are high. It is known from the beginning what you are in store for. It is not for everyone by any means but for those that can adapt and overcome, the future is bright.
Pros
Income potential, valuable skills and lessons taught, ability to speak with current advisors and learn from them, paid training with no cliff
Cons
Long hours and high levels of stress, daily rejection on phone
Fantastic opportunity to create a very successful career
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 10, 2017
I came here with two years in the financial industry and no success. Many of the pitfalls I saw in the industry were hard to overcome. After joining The Retirement Group, I saw that the model here filled the areas of concern I had in the business. During the advisor training program, I have learned how to build a successful practice and have honed the skills needed to be a successful advisor. The opportunity here is unbelievable and the training is second to none.
Pros
Paid training, business model is unparalleled, ability to build the habits and skills needed to be a successful advisor, mentor
Cons
Work life balance is off, hard word and stress can be high
Loved it
Financial Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2017
Awesome place to be at. Gets you a great set of skills that can be applied for just about any other job. If I were still living in San Diego, I would gladly return back to this company for work.
If it were easy, everyone would do it
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 18, 2017
The lump-sum rollover industry is not for everyone. Long hours, difficult management. Opportunity to make a boat load of money-if you put in the work.
Pros
No income ceiling-after 3 to 5 years
Cons
Owner is a micromanager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Retirement Group. Our community is ready to answer.