The Richards Group Employee Reviews

Autonomy but exhausting and mediocre pay
Brand Management (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 31, 2018
Profit sharing is great (15% of your salary) and it’s great for autonomy thanks to flat structure. But hours can be rough and base salary is average at best.
Pros
Gym, profit sharing policy, annual bonuses
Cons
Hours can be insane, agency is slow to hire support, not a lot of diversity or culture
TRG - It's great but is Not for everyone
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2018
I had the chance to work with extremely talented and smart people - the building is full of them. However there are many areas in which the company is just not caught up to speed - traditional marketing and creative assets have a lot more emphasis than digital, media, data science or analytics. The legacy leaders leading these efforts need to train more in these areas (they don't understand basic analytics concepts neither how to enhanced them) but given that the company has a policy not to pay for conferences or training (unless a client pays for it) it's clear that catching up will take a lot of effort to even achieve parity.

The work is extensive and rewarding, but this is not your 9-5 job.
Pros
people, growth, culture
Cons
management
Working here
Media Planner (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 7, 2018
Great people work here who work really hard but there is not much regard for peoples personal time and having a work-life balance.
If you want to have a child any time soon, look somewhere else.
Richards Group in a Nutshell
Brand/ Media Planner - Paid Social (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 30, 2018
The company culture is incredible! Everyone is super friendly, outgoing, and helpful, for the most part. Although the company is VERY demanding, if you love what you do, you'll love Richards Group. They take care of their employees.

Bottom line:
I would encourage anyone who is interested in TRG to apply. Especially if you enjoy a good challenge! The company is pretty sweet overall!
Fast paced advertising workplace
Brand Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2018
If you love hustle-bustle and a ton of meetings, this job is for you. You will definitely experience a social culture where everyone is motivated and experienced.
Friendly work environment. Helpful staff.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTFebruary 2, 2018
Individuals generally strive for lengthy employment with The Richards Group due to their positive sense of belonging to a work family. Although the agency has grown significantly over the years, this family owned and operated company continues to maintain a caring work environment. Having been owned and operated by three generations, leadership has been consistent throughout. More recent years have seen significant growth in the number of positions available; however, the company never seems to lose its small town appeal. Insurance has become very specialized over the years, creating varying opportunities for growth and professional development. The hardest part of the job is retaining clients in such a competitive industry. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the client and co-worker interactions. This is a business geared toward helping people and based on personal experience, The Richards Group and their excellent staff make every effort to serve the community well.
Pros
Positive and friendly work environment.
Cons
Work can be somewhat repetitive.
As an intern...
Sales-Consultant Intern (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTFebruary 1, 2017
My experience as an intern was not a true reflection of the benefits full timers have.

They allow independent work schedule so long as you're in the office. There aren't set times for breaks or lunch, you make that up based on your workload.

My direct manager was good, though always had a lot to do, so communication was sometimes on the light side. Great person, direct, dedicated.

Workplace culture was great, everyone there was very friendly.

Hardest part of the job was understanding the language and figuring out how to get the assignments done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence, though with lack of self control, it's easy to get off track. Hours were also very flexible (I think full timers got salary).
Pros
Independent schedule, great work env. and benefits for full timers
A wonderful place to start off as a creative
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2016
I was lucky enough to work at TRG the first few years of my career and I was able to get many more things produced than I might have had I started somewhere else. Everyone there lives and breathes creativity and that is an ideal atmosphere for those that only want to do great work.
Pros
Great opportunities for entry level creatives
Cons
Long hours are the norm
Decent internship at well-known agency
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  DallasAugust 18, 2015
Competent Staff - Everyone is highly motivated and serious about the work the agency does. There are a lot of younger full-time staffers willing to help interns understand how to get ahead and meet expectations. Fantastic Intern Program- There is an intern seminar series which allows interns from all concentrations to hear lectures from specialists in every department. This provides an opportunity to explore for those who are on the fence concerning their concentration. Opportunity for full-time promotion - It seems as if my department hires almost exclusively from the intern program. Many of the younger team members had gone through the program no more than 4 years ago. Though it is circumstantial how openings within a department appear (new business/normal turnover/tranfers), preference seems to be given to those who have been through the program.
Pros
The chance to see almost every aspect of a full-service ageny
Cons
Poor pay, no real initiative to move up
Productive and fun work place
Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2015
I started as an intern right out of college, was hired on, and have been here for over three years. The expectations - work hard, work smart, and be friendly - aren't written on the walls; they're just expected. Most who don't want to carry their own weight will find out quickly this isn't the place for them. But those that do, quickly get more responsibility and are presented more opportunities.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very conservative with a decent amount of red tape and politics
Highly competitive, but produces good work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 4, 2015
Overall, it is a great place to work. Everyone is very dedicated to what they do and are easy to deal with. On top of that, the work is interesting and you have a real sense or what the other teams are up to.

Communication from management could be a little better, but this problem exists because they really try to have a flat business structure. This means that information that should theoretically go to everyone can get cut off due to the lack of well-defined groups.
Pros
You definitely feel like you are a welcome part of the company
Cons
Only interested in tenure. The longer you're there the more successful you will be.
Professional atmosphere, dedicated employees
Copy Editor, Proofreader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2015
Not as fun and freewheeling as one imagines a typical ad agency, but the employees are generally smart and talented, and the company is generally transparent and ethical
Very successful Agency creatively, great benefits and great people to work with,
Senior Art Producer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 19, 2014
I have nothing but good things to say about The Richards Group.
Great beautiful work is produced there, the Art Directors were all incredibly talented and so easy to work with.

It made my job easy since I was basically working hand in hand with the Creatives to research and find Talent that would fit their vision.
I was then responsible to estimate based on layouts, hire the appropriate chosen Vendor, oversee production and keeping it within budget. It was all at once the hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable. There was no micro management so I really was holding my own which made my job even more rewarding.

I was sorry to leave but because of my moving to San Antonio, I had to.
Pros
Incredible benefits and great people to work with.
Cons
Can't think of any
Fun company and interesting people.
Brand Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2014
Good internship, good people. I learned a lot, but your experience will vary depending on the team you work for. Some are much more cohesive than others.
Good people...bad environment
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 15, 2014
The co-workers I worked with the many years were the best. Most brand managers were great to work with; others were VERY hostile and demanding of the accounting group. Upper management was supposed to have a "open-door" policy but that door usually had a barrier and if your idea or explaniations were not up to par with theirs, you would be in trouble. Very LONG hours are required since we were always understaffed. Don't expect "good job" if you do. Compensation was good but as time went in and the work load piled up, did not fit with what I was doing. Health benefits were good but prescription plan seemed more like a discount card and one would have to buy it first then turn in for reimbursement.
Pros
Xmas Bonus...most employees
Cons
Lack of Communication, Compensation, Finger pointing
A fantastic place to work at. Very professional and helpful staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2014
I finished secretarial school in 1985. I received a Certificate as a Legal Secretary. Since I only had great skills and no experience in a legal setting, I found it difficult to secure a permanent job. I came across the Richards Group, a temp-perm staffing agency located in Center City, Philadelphia, PA. The staff were very professional and friendly. There was never a "lull" in receiving assignments. I worked here consistently, taking a break in work only if I chose to. I learned so much because I was assigned to various companies in the City.

One of the best places I ever worked for. The most enjoyable part for me was knowing that I had the skills and training to do well in any assignment they sent me on.
Pros
A very professional company to work for. The salary was very good.
Cons
Not applicable. I was very pleased in my tenure with the Richards Group
A Culture you have to embrace or else
Brand Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 17, 2013
Terrible management, poor personal development, and a culture that is functional - not creative. This Agency has a particular business culture that is far away from other agencies in terms of creativity to wearing required business casual. I feel like I'm at a yes mam company that is a firm, not an Agency.
Resume builder, good first job, where creatives are king but not paid well
Client Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas TXJuly 11, 2012
The people who carry the bulk of the work load are great. There is a lot of good work being done within the smaller teams. It is a good place to start your career, just don't stay too long. Principles tend to be favorites and some are provided that title to help sell in new business. Much like a sales representative who is given a VP title. A bit misleading. Pay is on the low side. TRG rationalizes this by "reminding" their employees that they are part of one of the best privately owned ad agencies in the country. Management does not have much loyalty in terms of those who have given their blood, sweat, tears and personal time to help make the agency successful. TRG has a 5 yr vesting program and it seems to be an odd coincidence that many "disappear" (get laid off) right before they are eligible for full vesting. I have seen it happen more than I care to count.

When accounts are lost, people get laid off - typical for any agency but the way in which TRG approaches this situation is to not talk about it or acknowledge it. Strange. Can feel like the twilight zone.

Bonuses are a mystery. Some as low as $50 (what is the point?) and as high as 2X's a Principle's $200K+ salary.
Pros
healthcare is paid but there is a catch, can earn friday's off, limited to 5 per year
Cons
healthcare does not cover well-care, this includes annual exams, immunizations, etc. standard vacation is 2 weeks irregardless of level, title or experience, clock in by 8:30 am requirement - money removed from bonus if too many violations, glass ceiling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Richards Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.6Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The Richards Group Reviews by Location