The Roanoke Times Employee Reviews

Don't Do It!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Customer service is terrible because management is so busy trying to right a sinking ship that they don't even think about the customers.The standard answer to requests for improvements is that "it is what it is". Try telling that to your subscribers.

The culture is depressing. Employees are so afraid for their jobs that they just raise their eyebrows when they encounter other employees throughout the building. Everyone knows what that means.

The first comments made by upper management from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett ) when they bought the company were that the employees made too much money and there would be no pay increases going forward..They held true to this!

I would strongly discourage anyone from going to work at The Roanoke Times.
Great Job/Poor Compensation
Photo Assignments Editor/Staff Visual Journalist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 11, 2018
Lots of freedom in creative atmosphere. No raises for almost a decade. And, very tiny raises that don't meet cost of living. Limited sick leave. Vacation time off capped after 10 years. Old equipment.

Great people. Fun job. Just limited recognition or compensation.
Do more for less.

Coverage has become to local. No more "real" travel. Budgets are small.

No outside training.

Few promotions.

Older employees feel they are being pushed out for younger hires.
Pros
Every day is different
Cons
low compensation; shrinking staff
Fun and Relaxed Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 27, 2018
Fun and Relaxed Workplace with really nice pleasant people. Poor Salary and no benefits other than 401K. No advancement opportunities or room for growth.
District Manager
State District Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 30, 2018
This job required up to 80 or more hours per week. Management also required employees to man telephones at the office and fill in for employees under your supervision when they do not show up for work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management Insensitivity
The job was a great job, however they do not employ enough help
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 16, 2018
I loved the job and the people I managed. The issue was that they would not hire enough help for the amount of work needing to be done which led to no days off and having to work seven days a week and fourteen hour days. This was also a salary job so all the extra days and hours were not paid any additional for.
Under paid over worked
Distribution Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 7, 2018
BH Media is not a company you want to retire from. Ideal for a college student, retired person who want to get back to work. The Distribution department is the worst! Even the carrier position is horrible! Proceed with caution!
Pros
Working for a media company
Cons
Everything !
Fun workplace, busy inbound calls
Sales and Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 13, 2018
Friendly coworkers
taking inbound calls from customers
setting up accounts for new customers
taking payments
Work culture was relaxed but could a little stressful when call volume increased.
Pros
Free subscription, great coworkers
Cons
cold calls to customers to sell subscriptions
great job if you want your days to yourself
Courier (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 5, 2018
was a fantastic job before BH Media took over. Then loss of customers and loss of money. Can't afford to work there. No supplies to work with. No specific time when the papers would arrive if you had a second job you sometimes would be late.
You are working 7 days a week no time off. If you call in you are charged a 100.00 per route per day and you have to sign a 1000.00 bond so if you quit without a 30 day notice they will charge you the 1000.00.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
not enough customers which mean not enough pay for you
Tough place to work
Online editor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 30, 2017
A lot of good journalists in the trenches but company policy is to hire cheap, inexperienced people and offer no raises ever (this is not an exaggeration). This hurts the quality of the product. Several bouts of layoffs have led to an atmosphere of fear and, oddly, an acceptance of substandard performance.
Pros
Some really good journalists
Cons
No raises, frequent layoffs, back-stabbing culture
Fun workplace and staff
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 10, 2018
I would have stayed but had alot of car issues and that was my point in working to buy a better car but lost position due to unknown issues at times that was out of my control.
Only workaholics need apply
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 19, 2017
80 hour weeks are expected. Vacations and sick days are given, but taking them is frowned upon hard enough that you will never get to use them. The company has great upward mobility for anyone who can survive the gauntlet, but very few do. Most people have been working there for under 6 months.
Pros
Easy entry, opportunity for professional growth
Cons
Extremely hard work for long amounts of time. Horrible work-life balance
Management has no plan of action for correcting errors and increasing compensation.
Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 15, 2017
Management is fragmented. The merger of two companies has caused a gap in how the company functions. Management has struggled to rectify the issue. My hopes to move forward with this company were stopped due to production mistakes the company is making after the sale.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Too many mistakes!
Very good sales manager, Paid very regularly
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 8, 2018
Roanoke Times was a good company to work for. Good Sales manager. They would help you out if you needed it and stayed in close contact. I like this job very much
Great management teams
Retention coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 3, 2014
Loved working here! Co-workers along with the management teams were wonderful.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
layoffs
Great Place to work for any age
Inserter (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 8, 2014
Friendly atmospere. Appreciated by management and customers. Steady work flow and they offer benefits. Good job for any age.
Pros
Non Judgemental Management
Cons
I have no complaints
Great place to work when I was there
Home Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 30, 2017
Advanced from within. I loved the teamwork and group of people that worked with. There was a lot of changes when I worked there. I had two different managers during my time there and both were great.
No loyalty to employees
Sales & Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 26, 2017
There was no loyalty to employees and customers alike. No place for any sort of advancement or further training. The newspaper industry is dying and its because of places like this.
The internet is affecting print news and not in a good way.
Community Editor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 14, 2017
Great reporters. Staff works very hard and often very long hours. I was only there for a short period though, because the entire department for which I worked was eliminated.
Roanoke Times is an okay place of employment.
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 17, 2016
In this company I am my own management. I go to work everyday at two in the morning, put the extra section into the front of the newspaper 605 times, and deliver them. I have learned the area of the route like the back of my hand. I do not have any co workers. The hardest part of this job is delivering Sunday papers because they are thicker and triple in numbers. the best part is managing myself.
Good Place to work
Independent Contract Carrier (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 12, 2017
Management reflects the employees....
as with any media delays happen and that can damper the whole atmosphere of work
high turn over
hours are ok but required to work if press is late or broken down