The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 6,905 reviews matching the search See all 9,179 reviews
was a stressful job
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  walled lake miNovember 12, 2018
I was hired as a dock worker. I seemed to be the only one working. The people on my shift were no help to me. The scheduling was not efficient. They had a large turn over and could not keep workers.
Pros
the customers
Cons
management
Enjoyed working here
Volunteer receiving and retail clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 12, 2018
-Worked here while in the 3rd phase of the Salvation Army Residential Treatment Center
-All management was easy to work with
-Given opportunities to try out several different thongs in store
-Had fun but also learned responsibility
Pros
Getting closer to my graduation goal
Cons
No pay- volunteer basis
Salvation Army was a great place to work around
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WANovember 10, 2018
Went to work on and knew what I had to get done because they explained my job there and never had a problem with them. Everyone there is nice and very helpful when ever you it.
Outdated everything. Unprofessional. Greedy "christian" based company.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 10, 2018
I worked here out of desperation. Period.
Never meet "major" or hear from her unless there's a problem.
Probably make more money in fast food!
Just overall greedy so called Christian based. Such a facade. Sad sad sad
Pros
Cons
Weird cult like higher ups.
Excellent place to work
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 9, 2018
The Salvation Army has a great vision to help those in need. They treat their employees very well, and have a laid back and compassionate atmosphere. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
treated well
Cons
lower pay
Productive and fun place to work. The employees help each other out whenever they can. The "regular" customers are great to see.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNNovember 9, 2018
I am usually one of the front people who works on the cash register, puts away the items that come out on the cart, puts away all the clothing that comes out on the floor and maintains and organized atmosphere. I have learned patience and kindness, because you never know what kind of things people are dealing with in their lives. If you can give them a moment of respect and laughter, it may help them and it will really help me. The hardest part of the job is the physical work - lifting, carrying, sorting and arranging. The most enjoyable part is the people - customers and employees alike.
Pros
People. Great Insurance
Cons
The physicality of the job
Saved my life
Clothing Processor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 8, 2018
The salvation army saved my life. when I first came to them i was strung out on drugs I was homeless. They gave me a roof over my head and 3 meals a day. All the money that the stores make goes to helping addicts to recover from their addiction.
Pros
A second Chance
Cons
N/a
How I would encourage Store Managers leaderships skills
Store Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gary, IN 46402November 7, 2018
I was hired at the Salvation Army as a Manager in Training, at the time it was recognized that I had experience but was not able to pay the salary I requested, but stayed and worked up the ladder of advancement. However, I am now a Store Site Supervisor, and I have 7 - 10 stores.

I enjoy motivating employees to being stars of their characteristics, to improve and buff out the edges, in so many words

I define the best Store Manager: Able to coach and give compliments to all employee(s). Possible employees that is guaranteed to have a position as the next manager of a store. Due to the knowledge of not only knowing what to do but why.

An individual that shows in the atmosphere of the store a welcoming spirit. Employees follow the strength and weakness of its leader and if the Store Manager is on time, working with not against, coaching, motivating and encouraging an employee daily. The store will grow strength and confidence as never before.
Pros
Company Vehicle and Cellular Phone
Cons
Pay
seasonal employment
kettle ringer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 7, 2018
I enjoy each year I assist in raising funds for the salvation army. Each year the same individuals come and help the salvation army entertain individuals during the Christmas holiday season. I enjoyed singing holiday songs and putting my own dance to the music. It really great and the individuals that song and danced on the way to work , break, or home was really great.
Administration Assistant II
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 7, 2018
A Typical day at Salvation Army includes answering income calls Monday -Friday and allocated to different extensions in the office. Assisting clients with community resources and food pantry. All nationality of people are requesting for assistance with rent or utility.
Pros
Helping Others
Cons
Disrespect from some people
wonderful team skills
Merchandiser/Sales (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98134November 7, 2018
Runs like a well oiled Machine with hard working dedicated employees. I was a Volunteer. Janitorial, shipping and receiving, pricing, restocking, ragging out, merchandising and customer service
Philadelphia
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 7, 2018
it was the most fulfilling job ever to help families in need and to see people giving without a second thought blew me away i now have a a lot more respect for people not to say that i didnt before
The salvation army is fun helpful place yo work at, and they love to help people who are in need.
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Gary IndianaNovember 7, 2018
The salvation army is a fun place to work at u get to meet alot of people, you get to interact with alot of people learn many things about the salvation army, I was able to teach children, I helped people who needed a job and I was able to drive children to camp doing the summer children went on trips basically I was able to help someone.
Pros
Free lunch, clothes give away, help the needy.
Cons
Short breaks
fun and organinzed
Newsletter editor (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXNovember 7, 2018
amazing place to work at. love the staff. It's a very healthy environment to be at. I was able to help so many people. Jobs were fun and i learned something new each and every single day
horrible
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 7, 2018
Poor organization, poor management,poor pay overall it sucks.Trying to help people is one thing, but you can't help management.No hours really and no .
Good experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 7, 2018
Good start to gaining experience in a workplace environment outside of an academic institution. Unfortunately I have heard that the Salvation Army has harmful discriminatory policies towards individuals belonging to the LGBT community, which did not make me very happy and influenced me to quickly leave the volunteer position.
Very stressful environment.
Volunteer and Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 6, 2018
I would be happy to discuss this employer in private. It would not be appropriate to share my opinion in this forum. I loved my job but other factors got in the way of a successful career.
Job was there when i needed it.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 6, 2018
The job was there when I needed it.The pay was also good with overtime.The supervisors was also very good.Ther was free lunches provided while working there.And I could also partiscipate in the Christmas cheer.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Had to stay on feet allday
Cutthroat
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 5, 2018
People don’t know how to work together Departments cross over and management does not stop. When management manages than things will get better departments should worry about their department and keepnthere noses and opinions to themselves
Pros
Non
Cons
Don’t work you won’t make it past 1 year
Fun place to work, will get a chance to meet amazing people
Lead Counselor to kids ages 5-12 (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, INNovember 5, 2018
A typical day at work is a bit hectic, as I worked with kids. I learned a little bit of spanish, I learned how to talk with parents and important people. The workplace culture is amazing, and the rest of the staff is great to. The hardest part of my job was probably, sometimes figuring out how to keep the kids entertained. The most enjoyable part of my job was making the kids happy, and playing with them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54K
42.5K
31.7K

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight