The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 6,735 reviews matching the search See all 8,917 reviews
stressful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILSeptember 25, 2018
To many different people are bosses. You never knew who to listen or answer to. Working with the public, going through donations, pricing donations accordingly. You get to know a bunch of different kinds of people. If you do it right you also get to talk to them about God.
Great Workplace
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CASeptember 25, 2018
If you enjoy volunteering and helping people, this is the place to be a part of. You have the opportunity to assist those who are less fortunate and feel gratify doing it.
Pros
great working place
Cons
healthcare
Fulfilling work
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Monterey County, CASeptember 25, 2018
I work directly with homeless and low income clients. My impression is that The Salvation Army tries to skirt by with as few staff at as low a pay rate and as many volunteers as possible. Because of the inability to pay a wage that can support a family in my area (admittedly it is an expensive area), we had to pass up qualified applicants and got a director who just falls short in so many ways. In addition, the building that I work in has numerous issues that haven't been fixed over the years.

With that said there is a lot of good at my workplace - working with our clients day in and day out and seeing peoples lives improve is wonderful. They're the best part of the job, and for the most part I have great co-workers also.
Pros
serving God, helping people, vacation time
Cons
stressful, low wage, "duck tape and prayer" holding everything together
Ok
Warehouse Associate Check and repair (Former Employee) –  Americus, GASeptember 24, 2018
Ok work place to work for people are friendly employees are ok managers are friendly and get involved and participate in working as a team teamwork was a must and they feed you sometimes
Pros
Great people
Cons
Little pay
It was ok it was just some managers that treated staff poorly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2018
My experience with them was alright. There's some managers that just don't respect the other employees. Also the managers don't judge you by your work ethic but by their personal feelings towards you.
Great people
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 24, 2018
Great place to work but as far as advancement, there is no possibility. Wages are very low, just above minimum wage. People are really great and were always helpful.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low wagesd
fantastic culture with a strong sense of purpose
Camp Nurse (Former Employee) –  Pittstown, NJ 08867September 24, 2018
Great atmosphere working with people who are concerned,committed and passion-filled concerning the mission statement of the Salvation Army . Employment here is meaningful and driven by Christ-centered values.
No communcation
Cashier and sorter (Former Employee) –  Tifton, GASeptember 23, 2018
Management was very not aware of the company policy. Manger had no experience and was just the wrong person for the job. Came in nice one day and another day with attitude.
Pros
Plenty of work
Cons
No money
Reliable management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 22, 2018
Fun place to work. Management was always there to help if needed. I've always love thrift stores, so it was cool to work at one. They were understanding with scheduling conflicts.
Relaxing Environment for all
Kettle Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 21, 2018
Working with The Salvation Army for so many years has been a wonderful experience! To know that I helped to provide for those a lot less fortunate than I am was truly heartwarming. However, I wouldn’t reconsider working for the religious organization again because it’s only year round seasonal employment.
Pros
A very relaxing atmosphere
Cons
Seasonal Employment
Doing the most good
Warehouse Manager/Store manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 21, 2018
The Salvation Army is not a bad place to work, however the pay could be much better. Store managers are constantly under pressure to increase sales. Truth and matter is they need to do better at advertising especially when it comes to advertising on the radio. When all is said and done they are helping lot's of people who need the help. Every dollar they make 83 cents goes back into the programs that helps drug addicts, alcoholics, the homeless, etc.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Healthcare
Depends on the site
Leadership Development Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
I work at a divisional level so I do a lot of computer/desk work however I travel a lot for events and to be out at the different sites in the area. I learned a lot about event planning, budgets and working with a variety of people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
poor
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MASeptember 21, 2018
the company itself is a good company its just the managers and employess they hire to run the stores have poor communication skils and have poor approach of a situation they where alwyas aggressive right off the jump towards a situation
overworked and under appreciated by higher supervisors
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Canton, MISeptember 21, 2018
no matter what you do, its not good enough. always do better. they ride you rough and hard with little to no recognition. they will write you up for the smallest things and fire you as fast as they would like. if you arent fast enough for them by two weeks you are gone. working for the salvation army will make you as angry as jesus was when he chased the sales people out of the temple. money first, people second.
Pros
benifits
Cons
everything else
fun place
Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLSeptember 21, 2018
The salvation army is where I would like to say I learned my communication skills dealing with all the kids and there different egos helping them to gain whatever goals they have in mind
Stressful place to work
SHELTER INTAKE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WISeptember 21, 2018
Very stressful, underpaid for the work that has to be done, hardest part of the job not being able to help some that really need it due to their drug addiction.
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2018
The environment and the culture was very positive and employees were fun to work with. But there wasn't much room or growth within the company. Most employees were sales associates.
Pros
Employees were fun
Cons
Benefits, promotions rare
A Great Learning Experience
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCSeptember 20, 2018
Working for a place that gives back like The Salvation Army is a true blessing. I was inspired to work for the cause because of all the great work they were doing for the city.
I liked working at the Salvation Armry
assisting clients (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2018
The only thing I didn't like is that it was a seasonal position. I got along great with my co-workers and the shelter residents . I enjoyed the work. I am passionate about helping others.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Emotionally trying
Family Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Met with families in home, felt useful and job was rewarding. Felt good about making a difference but seeing families with issues could be emotionally trying.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Emotionally trying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K
42.4K
31.7K

See reviews about

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Salvation Army.

Powered by Comparably