The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 7,511 reviews matching the search See all 9,870 reviews
Rough atmosphere. Not getting paid enough for all the work done.
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2019
Bosses don’t see that employees have lives. Hours are outrageous. Bosses expect too much. They work you until you’re worn out. No overtime is ever allowed.
like to travel
Truck Helper (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYJanuary 15, 2019
i like to travel move around n being a drivers helper help me do that me and the driver got along very well. i love interacted with customers and putting a smile on their face..salvation army helps the unfortunate and i also did volunteer work for the homeless
Pros
my driver bought me lunch meeting new people tips
Cons
some customers are annoying
Overall Great Experience
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 15, 2019
I had the best supervisors and support here. The teachers were extremely friendly and supportive. Some days I think of it and miss it, but am glad to have worked here for the amount of time that I did. It was my first career building job.
Pros
Support, Training, Team Ethic
Cons
Pay, Shortstaffed
pleasent place to work
Housekeeping Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Do Your job and they won't bother You. Got to work inside and outside. coworkers were friendly and helpful. Boss would tell You Your doing a good job sometimes.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Alittle monotonous after a while
Good Place to Work
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLJanuary 14, 2019
Okay Job on your feet a lot, pay was average for the type of work. most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people everyday and interacting with them.
Good job
Shelter Monitor and Angel Tree Worker (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Easy place to work, not a lot of chances to move up and the pay is low, but is usually very calm and easy going. Direct management is great, asministration staff changes frequently.
Challengeing and fun place to work
Asst.manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 13, 2019
I love my customers but the company is OK. But I'm ready to move on to a better career and to make more money and I like to move up in a career. It is a fast pace environment and heavy lifting. One on one with the customers. Knowing about the product you are selling to the customer
Pros
Free lunch and paid vacation and sick pay
Cons
Not enough pay or hours.
Intrinsically Rewarding Christmas Season Job
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2019
The Salvation Army (SA) simply asks you to ring its iconic bell, don’t leave the donation kettle unsupervised, assist people with store doors, thank donors, and to wish EVERYONE a Merry Christmas.

You do not experience awkwardness because you do not ask anyone to donate. Everyone already knows the mission of the SA, so they know why you are there. As a shy person, this helped me to do well at this job.

The cold rainy days were the most personally challenging for me, but most places will allow you to move your set up inside the entry on those days.

You do get two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch. You secure your kettle in a predetermined safe place during these times. All breaks and lunch are to be completed by 4:30. Traffic picks up afterward. I found that for my location, it was best for me to be ready at 3. You begin work at 9AM. The SA collection van comes around between 6-7PM. Many bell ringers ride to and from their location on this van. You can drive yourself if you prefer, which is what I did.

You get a choice of available locations, and you most likely will be able to stay at it the entire season. You choose the areas of town you are interested in working. They are very easy to work with, and at all times the Major treated us respectfully.

I enjoyed my seasonal job as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army.
Pros
generous breaks, encountering kind people every day, knowing you are making a positive difference in the lives of others
Cons
those cold, humid rainy days
It was okay, only temp
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  hosutonJanuary 12, 2019
seasonal work durning the Christmas holidays, not for someone looking for a permanent position becuase the hire from within, Applied for several position ar the end of season. All jobs went to senior people or their family members.
Pros
free linches
Cons
temp work
Wonderful Organization
Administrator / Pastor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 12, 2019
Helping others in physical and spiritual needs. Giving the ability to be available to the public at all times. Being available to move yearly or as the company needs.
Really good environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 11, 2019
I volunteer at the Salvation Army every Christmas with my father. We participate in a food drive at the homeless shelter and help prepare and serve the residents.
family friendly environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJanuary 11, 2019
high energy family friendly caring and good balance between life and work friendly employees good health benefits the hardest part of the job would be lifting heavy furniture
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
heavy lifting
Good job
Customer Service/Cashier/ Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hillsdale, MIJanuary 11, 2019
Excellent place to work,good people and GREAT CUSTOMERS.Would recommend to anyone to work or shop there.People are great coming in and shopping.Wish i were still there..Moved to new building and its great.Prices good and workers are great.Store hours are good for customers. Easy in Easy out.
Pros
Rewarding Job
typical day
Mentor for students (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 11, 2019
I really didn't do much other than sort and label clothing. I also check to see what clothes were damaged and I help meet the customers needs by making sure that they had the right fitment they were looking for.
Bored
Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 10, 2019
Bullying,picking, conflict,people always leaving quitting,new people coming in every other week,never advance,feel like you in prison,they don't care about employee
Not a bad job
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 10, 2019
The job did not offer me enough money per the amount of work that I gave. I felt that they could have treated their employees with more respect. Was a good job for getting back on my feet.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay
Good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 10, 2019
I am given the freedom to work independently on a daily basis and trusted to use my time efficiently. This allows for a wide range of activities and keeps the job interesting. I would like to note that I am an outside employee of the Salvation Army and not a graduate of their adult rehabilitation center.
Good place to volunteer
Angel Tree Program, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 10, 2019
I just volunteered at this angel tree you drive for one Christmas back in 2014/2015 and it was fun. We got to help make a child’s Christmas wish come true even if they didn’t get exactly what they wanted.
Good company/bad pay
Wrehouse operations (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 9, 2019
This is a really good company to work for if the pay was up to comparable organizations. They need to up the wages by $2/hr. The work isn't too much and the people/coworkers are really great.
Very special place !
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJanuary 9, 2019
They help homeless and the low income families with food and clothes also shelter. They are angels at this place .. they will do anything to help.. they also , do big fundraisers..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54.2K
42.7K
31.8K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Salvation Army.

Powered by Comparably