The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 6,130 reviews matching the search See all 8,177 reviews
Very interesting
Assistant Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Paterson, NJJune 23, 2018
I learned a lot an diffently a experience I will remember I had the chance to help people an learn how to grow character as well as patient. The environment was good for me.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
A lot of work hours
Awesome fun friendly place to work
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MI 49735June 23, 2018
working here was great was my favorite place to work i left this job for a higher paying job that was further away from my home and actually regret leaving and wish i was elidgible to be hired back there. Great fair place to work for.
Pros
laied back enviroment
Cons
no benifits
Great first job, but not a forever place
FLOOR CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 23, 2018
Very cut throat. Work is over load for under pay. Atmosphere can be very depressing. Love the customers they make you want to come to work. Can only be a first job.
productive
front desk volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJJune 22, 2018
this job is OK to work at but its very time consuming and can be very stressful. but it does have a lot to offer people in any situation.
it also help people that has small children or teens by putting then in a summer program that they have. Also they help with a community food bank every month.
Pros
very helpful center
Cons
short breaks
Manual labor
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 22, 2018
If you like driving and moving furniture apply. 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week picking up and unloading donations from around the Tulsa area. Pays decently
Nice place to work horrible manager!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYJune 22, 2018
This place was a good place to work, you got to set your own hours and take away your hours, however it took (not literally) MURDER to get more hours and even then you had to "deserve" them in the managers eyes. The coworkers were awesome and family like but the management was BS.
Pros
good coworkers, flexable hours, easy work
Cons
management, no security system
Productive in helping others
Program Aide/Bookkeeper/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJune 22, 2018
If you enjoy helping others and mentoring children, this is a good place to work. Hours are split up but overall, a good place to work. There is room for advancement.
amazing workplace
youth counselor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 22, 2018
It was great working within a environment where I had the responsibility of being a role model to the children. They all brought the best out of me mentally and physically. Everyday I taught them to love their selves first, that being yourself is what matters. My job was to ensure that I created leaders
Pros
experience with the children
Cons
more pay
Easy work
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FLJune 21, 2018
If you needed time off because you weren't feeling well, they were able to find someone to replace you. When you need extra hours they were able to place you.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Driving to all the locations.
Relax and fun place to work
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
A typical work day at the Salvation Army is answering a lot of phone calls for people seeking help from a fire, rent/mortgage,utilities, furniture, food, clothing and housing. The workplace culture is relax and a fun place to work. You also get to go to Church on Tuesday's if you choose and your supervisor authorize it. I've learned you can always call my job to seek some kind of help. The hardest part of the job is listening to people problems and trying not to get so emotional from their stories. The most enjoyable part is when we have the 4th of July picnic, everyone brings a dish, get judge and win a golden spoon award for the best dish to keep in there office all year.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
No advancement
Very productive
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 20, 2018
It was very challenging by I lived it. Met a lot of ppl. Would recommend this job to anyone who loves to work, help ppl and make money. I became the supervisor because I believed in my work and the ppl I was working with.
The salvation army was a good atmosphere to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McHenry, ILJune 20, 2018
i enjoyed working at the salvation army. My coworkers were very friendly and helpful. I was very busy. I was a cashier and put stock on shelves. I enjoyed helping customers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no airconditioning
Productive and unpredictable work environment interacting with inmates
Case Manager Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 20, 2018
Each day I work with federal inmates helping acclimate them back into the community. Help them with social services and employment opportunities. I also held lifeskill classes
It is a fine place to work
Store Manager/ Assistant Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJune 20, 2018
I worked at the Salvation Army for 5 years and enjoyed my time while employed. I left because I got a better paying job. I loved the person managing the department at the time.
Good place to learn and practice
Intern (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 20, 2018
It is a great six months residential Program or one year court mandated, with the first 30 days period restriction. The Beneficiary that enters in the program receives individual, group counseling, alcohol and drug abuse education and individual spiritual counseling.
They attend Bible studies, AA & NA meetings, Relapse Prevention, Anger Management and other specialty groups.
The Therapy is assigned to the individual needs of the Beneficiary. The program is based on social model thru the work therapy assignments as an important component of the rehabilitation program. The participants (Beneficiaries) don't receive nor earn wages.
This non-profit organization provides services without charge to the recipients.
Lack of communication but the hours are decent
Kettle Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2018
There is constant turnover and not much room for growth, especially for females within the Salvation Army. Lunch is sometimes provided and Co-workers are friendly but there is serious lack of communication between work staff.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Low pay, unorganized
great job that i felt great about doing cuz of the cause
bell ringer for the needed (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
it was just awesome because I love helping people especially people in need....just have to dress warm because it get cold when u standing out just ringing the bell but like I said it was a helpful job in I loved it
never again
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSJune 19, 2018
I volunteered there and the atmosphere was never pleasant because the officers there were not friendly at all. They hardly spoke to the people and the helping attitude that you'd expect from an organization such as this was Absent.
overall good
Janitor/ Clerk/ Assistant Manager/ Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2018
get to job site turn off alarm get, store report ready for deposit set up register with open amount program register with sales for the day GET READY FOR STORE DELIVERY
Cons
High turn over rate
I am a volunteer. I do not receive a paycheck for The Salvation Army.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSJune 18, 2018
I only work part time as a volunteer. I love helping people. I worked at Flint Hills Community Health Center for 15 1/2 years. I answer a multiline phone system and put client information in our data base. I file and update charts and make copies of required documentation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.6K
42.2K
31.5K

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight