The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

31.5K
Found 6,035 reviews matching the search See all 7,978 reviews
Fun place to work
SOCIAL WORK INTERN (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 24, 2018
They really care about their staff. Staff go out of their way to be collaborative and supportive. The most enjoyable part of my job was assisting families with food from donations and the SA food bank.
Salvation army
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, MSMay 24, 2018
a typical day at work would involve me stocking and dressing the windows as well as balancing books and running the store in the managers absence. Hardest part of the job was the store manager.
Case management
MSW Generalist Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 24, 2018
The Salvation Army hires case manager to work in their transitional program that offers many opportunities not only for the employees, but the residents as well.
Crowded...
Donation Distribution Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2018
Not much to say. It was quick pace and not much room to get around without encroaching into each others personal space.

However, they're always in need of people so you can definitely find work.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
Coworkers are in rehabilitation
Fast paced
Ware House Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 24, 2018
Fast paced, productive team effort. There is reasonable room for career advancement. Friendly work environment. Very good work ethics are developed.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 23, 2018
It is a good place to work. You know that you are doing good with the work you are performing by helping the men in the rehab programs. Sometimes it can be difficult, but its worth it.
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMay 23, 2018
A nonprofit organization that helps people. Rewarding place to work. Good place to work if getting back on your feet. Meet different people in all walks of life.
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIMay 23, 2018
I enjoyed being apart of the Salvation Army family for 6 months. I was able to assist in the front office, and with helping out the clients that came in with the resources from the food pantry and personal care items available,when needed.

I learn to put patience,kindness,sensitivity and listening into practice while being there. I learnt not to judge or put people down, but to pray for everyone that I came in contact with.

I enjoyed being there because God gave me grace to be a blessing in helping the people,and to use my time wisely in prayer for the people.

The hardest part about the job was not being able to assist those who needed a financial blessing for their rent,or transportation,or people who had just relocated to Michigan.
Pros
Friendly People to work around
volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHMay 22, 2018
This volunteer's job allows me to quickly end the Americans. I enjoy being a volunteer. Because this job can help many people.Helping others makes me very happy
camaraderie while raising money for a charity
bell ringer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 22, 2018
Great seasonal position. Ringing the bell for the red kettle campaign is a good way to earn some extra money while helping others. Many of the same people work every year which adds a sense of workplace continuity.
Productive and Friendly Environment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 22, 2018
Salvation Army is an excellent place to work. The atmosphere and the people are very welcoming. I enjoyed my time spent at this job and would gladly refer others to work for the Salvation Army
Pros
Discounts
Cons
non
Cool
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, CTMay 22, 2018
Love shoppin at salvation. Army they have so many cool things that I can't wait to buy. I love their clothes and furniture is great. They have great deals
Very political for a church
Adiminstrative (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 22, 2018
This is a non-profit organization. It has a set of codes and ethics that are similar to non-profits in that the mission is pushed forward. The mission can sometime become more important the means to reach the end result.
Good work environment
Bell ringer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 22, 2018
Good work environment. Nice people. Transportation provided to and from the work sight. Long periods of standing short breaks. Lunch not provided. Cold weather.
Pros
transportation provided to work sig
Cons
long periods of standing. Cold weather. No lunch provided. Short breaks.
I great place
Stocker/Customer Service - volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMay 22, 2018
Great place for volunteer work they're very friendly you will love a lot of activity for the family and kids and there Sunday school too and you're feel so good at the end of the day
Most stressful job I ever had
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 21, 2018
Would care not to comment, pay did not reflect the cost of living in current State, and unreasonable work load to put out in the allotted given shift or day
Pros
Discount on purchases
Cons
Work load unreasonable
Working at Salvation Army
Summer Camp and Christmas Volunteer (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 21, 2018
Always has been a loving company and always enjoy working with them. I always tend to work during Christmas and the people are very caring and nice. Have also worked during the summer camp and never have had a bad experience.
Salvation Army
Driver (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 21, 2018
Working for Salvation Army.....When I first started driving for Salvation Army, for the Red Bucket Campaign, it was an experience! I would take out the bell ringers and the empty buckets, lock them up to the poles, make sure the ringers had gloves, a mat to stand on, their apron, and a bell that worked, and go onto the next site to do the same thing all over again.
Then, later I would take out another group that would replace them, and I would, unlock the full buckets and replace them with the empty ones, and place the full ones in a safe spot in the van.
I would always enjoy talking to everyone that just got done ringing, telling stories about what had happened, while their were ringing their bell.
Pros
Talking to the ringers
Cons
Dealing with some of the elements
Worked with children at the camp and lived at camp
Ropes Course Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Starke, FLMay 21, 2018
This job was for the summer, like many of my jobs have been. This job was very enjoyable because we got to work outside, with kids, and doing something that we all enjoyed. I had to make sure that all of the ropes course staff knew what they were doing and stayed focused while on the course. I also had to make a plan so that the kids can go through the course safely. Lastly, I also had to teach the staff how to check the course, safety on and off the course, and how to handle the equipment.
Trying to keep my sanity
Custodial Director / Lead Chef (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAMay 21, 2018
A typical day would start out. Come in clean bathrooms and mop, sweep. All three building that included the chaple. I learn that alot of the time. Every thing that shines isn"t always gold. Management is the worest i have ever experinced. You can not give your opinion on anything. If you do your job will be terminated. This manager was the worset of the worset. The hardest part of my job. Was having patients with these people. Every day was a struggle to keep my sanity. The only part i enjoyed was helping. The homeless people try to get back on their feet. Seeing them do something positive with their lives. We as in crew all help support each other. It was a very scary experience. Which i am glad is over.
Pros
Working crew very friendly and helpful.
Cons
management needs to restructure whole department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

55out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The Salvation Army.

Powered by Comparably