The Salvation Army
71Above average

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
No room for growth.Job for someone in high school .Management are responsible. Customers are extremely nice .the job is not demanding. Coworkers friendly
Management yells at you for doing what they told you to do. They don't respect their employees and don't pay for the work they require. The other employees don't respect coworkers. The employees take advantage of their customers, and don't let other employees collect tips that they are offered from customers.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management sucks
management wasn’t the best. First store manager got quote on quote let go probs forced to, The second one not any better. In the store if you are good they don’t care they’ll throw you under the bus just like that. On Wednesday the sale day if we got tired cause as furniture clerks we lift a lot among other things. We would get in trouble for just tryin to relax for like 5 mins. I have many other things I could say but I’ll just say it wasn’t a good job and it was a harsh environment to work in.
you go into work with the mentality of getting a job done, make sure to do what is asked of you so no problems arise. Keep pushing to learn as much as you can at said job.
I needed a job and they were able to hire me. I enjoyed the seasonal work rasing money for charities l but it was cold and b lonely working during nights.
it was always happy vibes when i walk in to work. i learned that salvation also donates there clothes to 3rd world countries. my manager was ok. my work place culture was mixed. the hardest part or my job was writing all the donations down and keeping it with them so the line wont get to backed up. but the most enjoying part of my job was the people i worked with and the customers where the best.
Pros
it was always a good day never a bad days of work and i learn something new everyday
Cons
when the lines are busy, they tend to loose people so it gets kind of hectic but it comes with the job
I love working at salvation army. the customers where good the people that work there were good everything was good there. I just had a family emergency and I had to leave and I moved to another state. That was my reasons for leaving salvation army.
This was only a seasonal position for 6-7 weeks beginning around the 2nd week in November to December 24. It requires standing a lot and ringing a bell almost constantly, usually in front of a store such as Giant or Safeway. I had fun with it though. I'm not good at standing still so I danced and bounced around to music which customers loved and also helped to keep me warm when it was cold. The pay was min wage for the area you were in, I was in Montgomery County, Md so it was pretty good. It's also for a great cause to help the under privileged have a nice Christmas.
Pros
Great temporary job for extra income for the holidays, meeting and greeting many customers
Cons
Long Days starting at Salvation Army b4 going to your location until pick up time for the kettle.
The job is usually steady paced until the weekends and holidays when the work gets really busy and you are expected to move fast and efficiently no matter the weather, rain, snow, hot or cold.
I was the bellringer for the season and it was a lot of fun. Demanding and long days on feet, but overall great experience and donations are driven on customer friendliness and outgoing personalities.
The Loudoun County Corps is by an officer of the corps, who takes his marching orders from HQ in the DC office. Officers are poorly trained to run a business and often have a very difficult time understanding the different forms of Revenue that flow into the and are at a loss for understanding what accounts those revenues are booked. Their sole goal is to raise money a good portion of which every year goes to Headquarters ( a tithe if you will) so they can subsidize programs not with in the county- although they lead donors to believe the money stays in the county to help the needy. The numbers of people they state that the help are grossly overstated because the help the same small number of people but count them a new population. The food truck is a joke. Most of the time just handing out hot dogs and chips--not nourishing hot meals. Thanksgiving is an exception to that. The Salvation Army has many offices that comprise its dollar business. They claim to be a church so they get around paying into the unemployment system. So if you are fired are laid off there is no safety net. Officers are not reprimanded or fired for their lack of management skills they are just transferred to a different corp office. Watch your back if you work there. They say they are Christian and lead you to believe they are forgiving--maybe they forgive substance abuse or poverty, but they are unforgiving if you come up short in you job - probably why they have such high turnover.
Pros
free parking
Cons
Human Resources does not keep matters confidential and shares with office staff, officers are ill equipment to do marketing or run a business, does not pay into the unemployment system.
Couldn't asked for another job since it was just a amazing experience. Lunch breaks were nice to since they have a kitchen so I could just heat up my food or make my own food and sometimes they would have food made already.
The Most Important Part Of My Job Was I Was Able To Help Children Learn Different Activities ALL Throughout The Day & Prepare Them For Life Lessons To Last A Lifetime
Pros
Lunch, Ssl
Cons
Permanance
great place to work I would go the location that they wanted me to go and I would set up the stand and I would ring the bell until the bus picked get me
Pros
people were great
Cons
pay was not not good
Typical day; Making new friends, signing up for various clubs or leagues. ex: teen club, basketball league, homework club Learn: How to make friends and respect various culture Hardest part of the job: knowing funds will be there to keep your job Enjoyable part of the job; Seeing all your hard program development being a hit with the club members, parents and community
Pros
fees cheap
Cons
rules too flexiable
In 2015, I did my certificate IV in Youth Work student placement there. My duty was to go around the train stations and give people lollies pops and a bottle of water.
It was good working here as a bell ringer. You get to meet alot of interesting people. Yes you are ringing the bell outside rain, snow, or cold but at the end of the day you feel good about yourself knowing that the cause is for the less fortune families. And knowing that a family will be bless by the donations that others give and knowing you had a part in that it felt good.
Pros
You know its for a good cause
Cons
Cold standing outside in the rain or snow ringing the bell
I enjoy each day that I volunteer at The Salvation Army. Great co-workers, I learned so much. Volunteering for a nonprofit agency has been extremely rewarding.
No type of conduct or team effort.Rude Co workers and poor supervision. Hard labor with below pay rate The benefits are great but do not meet the standards.
I really enjoy working here. Salvation Army is a good employer.It is a company that really lives what they preaches.My experience was fantastic
This was by far the worst experience I've ever had. I began working here when they first opened, of course everyone there hardly knew what to do, the place was a total mess all the time, everyone was terribly rude to each other, customer service was poor & finally, the manager we had ended up stealing 1000's of dollars worth from the franchise. I would start work at 5:00pm & come home at 6:00am almost everyday. Working here was a disaster, both physically and emotionally. If you love a stressful, messy uncaring enviroment; then this place is for you!
Pros
None!
  1. Employee Reviews