The Save Mart Companies
Happiness rating is 53 out of 100

The Save Mart Companies Employee Reviews

United States778 reviews

martsavegroceryunionsupermarketbakerydelistorecart

can be a fun place to work

They have changed over the yearsOnce was a great place to work now, they just want college students and depending on management depends on favoritism

Management is hardcore. They want you to do EVERYTHING.

Half the department is out sick on Covid and on vacations. They will try to pull you in to work on every off day. This store has a phone scanning QR code system to scan 18 different points for sweeping every aisle sometimes overlapping as a bagger. Massive janitorial work. Empty every trash can in the store. They don't hire janitors and security guards because all the pay goes to senior employees. Customers jamming carts in the racks and into other carts. So we have 3 different cart sizes. Racks are horrible. Management will not better ones. Store doors always getting destroyed. Toilet stalls graffitied every 2 to 3 months. Clean everything you can imagine possible. No seating accommodations for Cashiers despite a Right to Sit law in California. Someone had knee problems. They still was forced to stand. Union is bad. They side with the company for worker pay contracts. Suppose to represent an employee in a dispute. Paint job given to bagger instead of maintenance. Not enough supplies provided.

Pros

Pay increase based on hours that you work. Friendly Coworkers.

Cons

Slow Advancement, Unstable hours if you are new (Some weeks 20+ hours, Busy weeks 48 hours, Schedule always change, Don't know schedule until next week) Too much work (Cleaning, Covering shifts), Management upset if you don't cover, Customers too demanding, Lazy coworkers

The Save Mart Companies insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

What is the best part of working at the company?Clockin out an getting paid correctly What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The most stressful part was working 40hrs an being marked for 23 hrs What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It’s like highschool / jail just chill What is a typical day like for you at the company?A typical day for me is Cold an long

What is the best part of working at the company?The people I worked with,for, and customers were great. Very "honey"...What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Getting out shipment in a timely manner.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very down to earth.. co-workers and management are very good and easy to work for.What is a typical day like for you at the company?I worked in meat, so I would set up the fish then go about shipment, make meals..etc.

I find this job enjoyable if you like working with customer which I really do.

I found this job to be a really good learning process. There are so many departments that you are able to learn new skills in such as cashiering, customer service, stocking, baking,Preparing food or waiting on customers at the check out.

Pros

Discount on your groceries

Cons

People calling in sick too often

Nothing positive

Save Mart could care less about their employees and it shows through their constant pullbacks in wages, benefits, and health and welfare. Their bonus program is a joke! You can hit your bonus target but they will not pay out even during record sales years. They continue to push for more but continue to pullback.

Cons

Compensation, benefits, work culture

It can be a great place to work at, just depending on your work ethic

After working here for two years, it was definitely a fun experience with the good and the bad if you just do your job, you won't have any issues management does take notes on how you do your job so your time at Save Mart could either be good or bad depending on what type of work are you are

Pros

Unionized/10% most store items dental/health paid vacation flexible hours/ hour long lunch

Cons

Depending on personal situation at minimum you'll get 24 hours a week

Not bad

Not many learning opportunities and if you're first starting out it's common to be treated like a child, which is unfortunate because the work itself isn't bad. I personally enjoy the tasks I'm assigned but the workplace culture could see some improvement. One thing I will add is that the new manager seems a lot more patient, as well as compassionate towards her employees.

Pros

%10 discount

Cons

Often unfriendly staff

Toxic work environment, condescending team members & management

Constantly talked down upon, having to to jobs for everyone else (while having to do our own tasks). Management will ask you to do something for them, 5 minutes later will call you up front to yell at you for “taking too long”. Hours are never the same, you could be closing one day and opening the next. They treat the grocery baggers like we are beneath them, with condescending attitudes. If considering a position at any SaveMart, think again. There are so many other grocery stores to work at, that would provide you with better hours, and a better environment overall.

bad workplace and mean managers

Don’t reccomend they take it way to seriously and don’t get paid enough. Managers are really controlling and don’t care about your needs only there’s to keep themselves together.

Overall a good job

Overall I enjoyed the work itself. There's plenty of opportunities for upward mobility within the company. I started off as a courtesy clerk and advanced rather quickly. Both store and district management consistently through words and action expressed appreciation for hard work and actively pushed people to succeed.The recent buy-out appears to have kind of tanked morale overall, but nevertheless I remain immensely thankful for all that I learned and achieved with the company.

Pros

Competitive pay, supportive management, paid vacation and other benefits

Cons

Aggressively understaffed, insufficient allocation of man hours to the departments

Productive and Fun place to work in

Do your work and you will feel great about working here, the other employees are super friendly as well as the customers. Can advance fast and also move around different departments.

It's been fun, but I feel no more growth

I am a 10+ year employee, and I feel that my pay rate doesn't match that. Especially seeing new hires at a rate close to mine. The benefits are great and vacation time can be plentiful depending on how many years you have in the company. There are areas for advancement (i.e. management positions) but those don't compensate enough pay for how much work you have to do in my opinion. The seniority ladder can also be hard to climb. Everyone that works here will tell you when you first start, "don't get stuck here", and I feel it's just that.

Teeter totter

It was great at first, then I realized that this company doesn't work with the schedule of a parents. Favoritism is a big thing for related employees

Never, ever

It was terrible never work here. Hours are long expect to work 9 days in a row. Employees ridicule you for not covering shifts on days off. Drama is always happening and Management is terrible. Terrible pay and you're forced to pay for union basically paying for slackers to at YOUR expense.

Pros

Nope

Cons

All of it

Not enough help

This company could do so much better if they invested in more help. It’s sad to see people leave full carts behind because there’s not enough checkers.

Supportive

I like working here, because it allow me to meet new people, and people are fun to work with. I also do my shopping here, which is very convenient……..

What is the best part of working at the company?Cool guys to work with.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Having team members not show up to work.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Independent. What is a typical day like for you at the company?8 hour shift normally. Maybe a little more.

Dont work here

If you want to work here. Don't. This company loves to cut hours in the midst of busy season then complain why you haven't gotten something that they wanted done. If you ask for help they won't instead punish you for even asking for help. They say their a family company but they treat their employees horrible! You could have no write ups or anything then one slip up you're on their bad list. Just don't try to work for his headache of a company!

Generic office job

Typical boring office job. Got pretty busy during month end close. Overtime was required and there were occasional Saturday's required. Not much room for advancement and no raises in the time i was there.

Pros

chill environment for the most part

Cons

lack of growth, tight deadlines

Nice people

It is a good company to work for. The coworkers are nice and friendly. I enjoy coming into work. I like my schedule because I get some days off in a row.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Save Mart Companies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
4.2Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight