The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,606 reviews matching the search See all 1,653 reviews
Part Time job
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 19, 2019
great part time job, especially if your trying to make some extra income. everyone in management was very helpful. the team member were also great to work with when i had the chance.
Pros
flexible schedule
Competitive Marketing Professionals Dream
FRONT DESK COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 18, 2019
The business was privately owned. For employees who like lots of change and competition in the marketing field it would be a fun place to work for the time their there. It seems the business reduces staff every few years and then hires new staff to backfill positions. I'm not sure if this is strategy or just the nature of the business.
I loved working there when I first started. My first semester was outstanding and I felt like I was thriving and growing. Then a management and structure change occurred and I was cast into a disorganized and professionally managed position which I was eventually laid off. There wasn't strong clerical support in the business. It consisted primarily of advertising and marketing professionals.
Pros
good pay, decent benefits
Cons
unorganized, weak staffing stability
brotherhood
RSR Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMarch 18, 2019
The guys you worked with were great it was more like family great people to work with I still look at them as my brothers. I'm old fashion those I liked the way Schwan's did things in the past and the Customers great you get to meet all kinds nice people.
Pros
Coworkers / Customers
Cons
Micromanagement
Terrible Manager
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIMarch 15, 2019
So the manager gave me a hard time about my fiancé being pregnant because he didn’t want me to miss a route day incase she went into labor during the week. He also complained about my military leave and looked at it as an inconvenience. Terrible manager and poor leadership skills. I worked a total of 3 1/2 months and in that time 2 employees brought their clothes back and left them at the depot.
AWESOME environment!
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New York & New JerseyMarch 12, 2019
I worked as an Area Sales Manager. I was fortunate to have a Team of 10 AMAZING Territory Sales Managers. They worked extremely hard, took full responsibility for their areas. Leading/working with them was a pure joy. It was devastating when the Consumer Brands division transitioned from DSD to 3rd-party. My entire NYC Team was laid off and my position was eliminated.

The decision made perfectly good business sense so I was not that upset.
Pros
Work life balance; Team & Peers; My boss
Cons
Could be long hours depending on projects going on
Good money stressful job
Line Assistant (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 12, 2019
The hours are long and they go by a point system and its very easy to get to 10 points quick. The hr lady claims you can talk to her about anything and she will help you but thats a lie she have her favorites no matter how hard you work you want be appreciated at all. The supervisors are absolute jerks and rude. You already work all those long hours then when they have overtime you have to work are you lose your job. You get paid weekly which is the only plus but if you are a single parent with kids this job isnt for you at all u will never be able to spend time witj your kids...well only on sunday the only off day and sometime they still make you work on that day
Shift work, hourly pay, plenty of overtime
Production Lead / Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYMarch 8, 2019
Shift work, temporary employees, language barrier, refrigerated work environment, plenty of overtime, good structure, paid by the hour, decent benefits, cafeteria
Pros
Discount on Pizza
Cons
Random Drug Screen
Great opportunities
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSMarch 7, 2019
Working here was a very interactive experience. With what opportunities they had available, it was a great way to easily understand the environment and the working conditions.
Schwans
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 5, 2019
As a driver you had a five day schedule working about thirteen hours a day & if you didn't hit your sales goal for the week you would have to go in on the sixth day of the week to work.
Pros
Provided food at depot
Cons
Work long hours
ok
Truck Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Carthage, MOMarch 5, 2019
work was not fairly divided. preferential treatment to some employees. work was not hard,just cold. some of the work practices were outdated. promises not kept.
Only work here if you have no other option
Area Manger (Former Employee) –  Tawas City, MIMarch 4, 2019
Stressful work environment. Poor equipment to do your job. Lack of training to succeed in your job. Unrealistic goals. No work/life balance. The hours are very long.
Pros
Discount on food products
Cons
Hours, lack of reliable route trucks.
Biggest tight wads I've ever known
Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2019
They focus on all the wrong things. You're required to participate in off the clock trainings, videos, seminars, and meetings... All of which are unpaid. You are expected to follow every single rule they give you, while you're doing a route that is literally impossible to do, even without following their rules. I don't come close to doing all the things they require when I'm on the road because if I do, stores get missed. The workload is ridiculous. They promise to hire more people, even say... "we're in the process of it right now", but the months just keep on passing by. They can't keep the new hires. Having the threat of being sued or having to repay your contract bonus still isn't enough to keep new hires working here. They hate it that much they are willing to pay them thousands of dollars to get out. Every current driver in my area hates how much the company has changed for the worst these past few years and is planning on quitting soon. One day down the road, they're going to have a depot with little to no drivers. I'm sure that will fare well for the company. The workers NEED the union to be brought in, at least in our depot. Schwans takes advantage of their employees and squeezes out of them as much work as they possibly can. They don't care at all how long you work. I don't see this business operating for too much longer if they don't start treating their drivers, the backbone of this part of the company, a h@ll of a lot better. Less hours, higher pay. PAID sick time that builds up, holidays off (without requiring a makeup day), paid meetings, videos, and training.  more... But they don't care and will never listen to their employees until it's too late. Glad I won't be here much longer!!!! Schwans is a toxic company to anyone currently lower than the upper, upper management.  less
Pros
Big fat ZERO
Cons
Long hours, little pay, in-your-face micro-management, unrealistic work expectations, unpaid training, required meetings, videos, drive alongs, no respect for employees or their families.
Fun place to work, Nice people
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Blaine, MNFebruary 28, 2019
Clock in , and assist customers and take orders, Clean, restock, help customers, help co workers, Management was not the best scheduling was terrible and poor hours, work place culture was good lots of fun
Pros
fun environment
Cons
short or no break at all
Nightmare Job
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAFebruary 26, 2019
Unless you are single with no family and want to completely devote your life to work, this job is not for you. You will routinely work 12 hour days in all weather, any days missed are expected to be made up over the weekend. "Paid time off" Is a lie, they are always understaffed and constantly deny days off requests because they "have no one to cover." "Paid holidays" Is a lie, they make you work the following Saturday. (Though you will get paid for the day you didn't work too.) I went through 4 bosses in 5 years, of those only one was promoted from within the company, the rest were outside hires. You'll be asked to come in early for any additional training or special meetings. You will not be given compensation for duties preformed outside your role. (i.e. Coming in early to load your own truck because the material handler is out.) Equipment is old and deteriorating. Any new equipment you do happen to get was obviously built by someone who never did the job and at a minimum of cost. You get what you pay for. Zero accountability for mistakes made by management and customer service call center that end up costing you valuable customers. Prices of food and delivery are increased with frighting regularity causing more customer loss which for the RSR means lost commission. So in summation, no home time, can't use your benefits because you're always working, and a culture that demands far more out of you then what they are willing to pay you. I would rather clean out of porto-johns then work with this company again.
Pros
Health insurance and benefits.
Cons
No home time, Vacation denied frequently, and ZERO compensation for going above and beyond.
Schwans
TRAINER/ROUTE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMFebruary 25, 2019
This job is for a single person, with no family, or a family that is going to do everything for you while you are working and preparing you to get ready for work. The hours are really long. Work life balance is almost non existent. And getting time off requests are all very hard to come by if you are to get paid. Sure the job is monday through Friday in most cases, but the aging fleet and practices that this company uses are sure to be its downfall.

I was 26 when I first started working here. I would drive from New Mexico to Arizona and back again so many times that I was glad they finally ended going to Arizona. They put me in a really bad hotel that I pretty much had to live in. Taking food that was going to feed me and not eating out was really hard.

There was once a week when it was over 100 degrees F and we had to work through that without an air conditioner. We were asked by a customer why we were sweating so much and if we had an air conditioner, and we said we did not. They called into the company and we were scolded to not tell people that we do not have air conditioners and working in that heat.

Ther benefits are great, but what is the use of having benefits if you are always going to be at work? You won't need them. I say only work here if you are really down for working long hours and making a lot of money. It's not a hard job with tasks they give you, the hard part is they are not planned for the unexpected.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Work-Life Balance, Time-Off
Dynamic, under-resourced teams with limited ability to develop people
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousFebruary 24, 2019
Over the past few years, the company has been going through a turn-around. Rather than eliminating positions, the organization focused on cost savings initiatives and natural attrition to achieve the profit targets. These efforts have resulted in teams taking on workload that is twice the normal amount and being charged to grow aggressively without adequate resources. The people and teams that are heritage to the organization are wonderful and have incredible skillsets and abilities to deliver on the targets. The organization has been focused on building a new culture however this has resulted in a "do as I say, not as I do" environment that does not support their employees nor reward them for their contributions.
Poor Work/Life balance
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  IowaFebruary 20, 2019
As a corporation, Schwans has some solid policies but there is a big disconnect between the corporation level and the local depot level management. Schwans corporate would like you to believe that safety is all important. Individual and workplace safety is stressed all through initial training and at morning team meetings. However, you quickly realize that profit and customer numbers are the most important factors of the job. Management strength differs greatly from depot to depot and poor managers are rarely replaced so a poor depot remains a poor depot from year to year. Employees are encouraged to work even when sick. Route Sales Representatives are encouraged to drive even during bad weather. Managers try to talk employees out of vacation days even when they don't work full days or routinely take time off for family events themselves. Drivers are sent out on delivery routes in unsafe vehicles that are in a constant state of disrepair and then management blames poor maintenance on employees. Shortages in everyday supplies are blamed on employees.

The 10:30 am to 8 pm workday is not conducive to employees with families.

There is a $3.99 delivery fee on all orders under $50. This turns many potential customers away and yet Schwans corporate refuses to change the policy so route sales representatives are forced to find "creative" ways to avoid charging the delivery fee to customers who only wish to buy 1 or 2 items.

You are told in the initial interview that you get paid holidays. This is misleading because you never actually get the day off. Each holiday has to be
  more... made up by working a Saturday so several weekends a year are ruined by having to make up the route that would have been run on the holiday. And any days missed for acts of God/Nature have to be made up on weekends as well.

If you don't live in the same town as the depot, be prepared for more hours spent driving from home to the depot and back again. So your 50 hour week quickly turns into a 60 hour week.

Sales contests are often held but there have been times when there was not enough product on hand to support the sales so RSR's have to put items on backorder and deliver at a later date. This is not good customer service and poor communication at the product distribution level.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, have to make up holiday hours
Lots of driving and self management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 20, 2019
Rather slow paced and wide spread. Learned how to manage my own time and projects as i worked. Used it as a job while i was in community college. The hardest part was usually dealing with traffic and getting to the product in the freezers. The most enjoyable thing was being able to move at my own pace to get things done.
Pros
Can work at your own pace
Cons
long hrs of driving
very long work day
AREA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNFebruary 18, 2019
Company has struggled to be profitable for years.it was good for me while I was there. The long days and travel dont allow for work life balance and family time suffers
Pros
pay
Cons
work life balance
It’s up to you if you wanna make good money
Route Sales & Delivery Representative (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 17, 2019
10-8 Mon- Fri if you get a good route
Your never home in the evenings.
You can make really good money and meet really good people and make a lot of friends. You are always gone from family and miss all there events they have after school. If your young and don’t have kids it would be great job for you, because you could make a lot of money. If your older where your kids are already grown, also it could be good job for you also. Good Luck
Pros
Huge discount on great food also You are your own boss and can make really good money
Cons
long hours!!! Late nights and poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight