The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,360 reviews matching the search See all 1,405 reviews
I had a great manager
Customer Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  uvalde txJuly 18, 2018
just like most jobs.... your raise becomes effective when you do!! If you apply yourself you can get great results and customers are awesome............
N/a
Route Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Destrehan, LAJuly 17, 2018
It was a decent job or not recommend it to anybody that cannot handle the stress Environment. And it is not for everybody especially people that cannot handle freezing temperatures
did not like working there
Sanitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSJuly 11, 2018
did not like working there Had to work seven nights a week will never work there again the worst job i have ever had would not tell any one to work there
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAJuly 9, 2018
Decent money if your lucky enough to get a good territory. Long hours, work from around 11am to 11-12 pm Monday thur Friday and sometimes Sat work. Good people.
Pros
good people
Cons
Pasadena location is horrible!!!
Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 9, 2018
When hired your promised 40 full time hrs plus plenty of room for overtime which never happens! The average is 30 hrs a week. They have lack of communication & very poor management. They end shifts early with no explanation sending employees home 2 to 3 hrs early everyday. Work gets cancelled spontaneously ALLOT with no prior notification & zero explanation! You only receive a text the night before telling employees that work is cancelled or the plant is shut down. It's been times where employees have arrived to work only to find out that they're not working that day which is wasted time & gas perfect example of poor management. The plant get shuts down allot one day your working & the next your not. This may happen for a day, 3 days, even a week or two. It's happened! With no compensation & again no explanation what so ever. The work it's self is fine & employees are easy to work with it's just the job & hours are very unstable & unreliable. Deer park location is the place to go if you want your full 40 hrs.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of hours, poor management
Competitve Sales with a team environment
Customer Support Manager (Former Employee) –  River Falls, WIJuly 8, 2018
Perfect job for anyone sales-minded and single. The remuneration received, for effort put in, is unquestionable You can earn quite a bit of money working here. You have to be a people person and devote yourself to this occupation. This is a life choice, not a job decision.
Pros
Salary, Insurance and job security
Cons
80 hour work weeks
Supervisor
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  West Salem, WIJuly 7, 2018
I was only a part time employee but really enjoyed my time at Schwan's. Supervisor at that time was great. Work was fast paced at times but was enjoyable.
active work place the not to physically demanding
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJuly 6, 2018
its a good work place that's not really psysically demanding. the people I work with are nice and the pace is steady. I love working with the women there because they are very nice and ask very politely when they need or want help. Peoples are team players and communication is good. I would recommend this place to others if the would like a relaxing good place to work.
Pros
plenty of food to eat
Cons
could use more ventalation
Good place to package pies and making them.
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Stilwell, OKJune 30, 2018
Its a good place to work. I learned how to package pies. The hardest part of the job is when pies get stacked up and switching sides on the line just to keep packaging. The most enjoying part of the job is packing the shells in the box.
Cons
Short two breaks
Poor Management
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 28, 2018
I had a phone interview, in person interview and even did their required ride along day. The manager has not returned any of my calls. Speaks volumes toward the company, poor management.
Ok job
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJune 21, 2018
Horrible hours, bad moral, no incentives, no pay raises, expensive benefits package, upper management demanding, use personal cell phone for work, ok job for the money
Working at Schwan's
Grocery Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 20, 2018
Working at Schwan's Home Service was difficult. The management was not great. The hours worked did not match the pay. When I first started the pay was decent. I "lucked out" and got a route where you couldn't solicit for new customers. Then they switched the pay scale over to commission. It was a massive down fall in my eyes.
Cons
The hours, the pay, the management.
No work/life balance
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 19, 2018
Route days are too long and the commission pay was not enough. The job itself was fun, customers were usually great. The products sold were very good.
I hated every second of it
Route Sales Driver (Former Employee) –  Freeport, ILJune 14, 2018
I liked upper management, but the hours are horrible. I almost never got to see my wife. often times on my days off i had to work to build. Its a great job if you are single or hate your family!
Pros
discounted food
Cons
too many to list
Quick fast paced days.
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIJune 13, 2018
Stock your truck if needed, truck maintenance check (gas when needed), daily product training and updates.

I learned how to drive fast, walk fast, and sell fast.

My manager was young, knowledgeable and very outgoing.

Co-workers were friendly, helpful and hard workers.

Hardest part of the job was the long hours.

Fast paced days dealing with very nice customers who for the most part really liked Schwan's Foods and my visits.
Pros
fast days, nice co-works and customers.
Cons
long days.
Fast paced, Good credidentials
Senior Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEJune 13, 2018
I do enjoy working for schwan food company but I no longer want to work third shift. there are set hours but when you go home work never goes away. A lot of work for one person.
Pros
own office, radio, work alone
Cons
third shift
Lots of great paying positions. Promote from within.
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJune 10, 2018
Overall I would say the company is good to work for depending on where in the plant you work. Otherwise positions do not have a great work to home life balance. You work six days a week, with days off here and there. Hours all over the place. You are working with a lot of water and cold conditions. Very very short handed.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very cold, no work to home life balance, and always short handed.
If you're looking at becoming a driver run away and never look back!
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJune 8, 2018
In two years I endured 5 different managers, each one having their own expectations, managerial style and personality. This creates an unstable and uncertain environment. Turnover rate of 30% or higher is ridiculous. If you have a family or kids, this job is not for you. If you're a single dad just trying to just pay child support for a couple years then this may work o.k.if you don't get fired. You will get about 60 doors to stop at each day. Average of about 10 internet orders and close on 15-20 more to get about $1400 or more per day in food sales to keep the managers off your back.
Training is adequate, other drivers are fun to be around, the leadership can be good or bad depending on location. I've had pretty good managers in Minnesota but they all get fired by territory managers if the depot as a whole does not hit pie in the sky sales goals. I predict that Schwans will not be in business in 5 years. They were not proactive enough and now other food service companies that offer more products are stealing Schwans lunch money. Food discount is ok ~20% off, it's the only way you can afford it. Ice cream is high quality, chicken is good, many other products are overpriced and hard to sell. If you have a good personality and people learn to trust you, you will have a successful route and grow business just fine, if you are just looking for a paycheck you will not.
Pros
OK pay, OK benefits
Cons
Work in all weather conditions, poor managers
Excllent place to work
Route Sales RepresentativeSc (Current Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJune 7, 2018
I think Schwans helped me get to a point of excellent sales. They improved my selling abilities to the point where I can grow tremendously. This is a great place to work.
No Life Balance
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Forest Hill, MDJune 7, 2018
This company is for workaholics without a family. Your average work week is approx. 60hrs/week. you typically don't get off until 9pm -10pm. Management is constantly hounding you over sales quotas and performance reviews. I don't really have anything good to say about my overall experience. The only good thing about the job is the customers.
Pros
Customer relationships
Cons
No life balance, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight