The Schwan Food Company Employee Reviews

Found 1,403 reviews matching the search See all 1,448 reviews
Long Hours, Not competitive with any other top tier delivery services.
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 15, 2018
The most rewarding aspect of this job is customer relations. With most customers you are like family to them and they treat you as such. Good luck spending much time with your actual family. the hours are typically 11+ hours a day with most days being closer to 13. The pay is a daily salary plus a low commission considering the price of the food. If Schwans began paying the RSR's an hourly wage they would be much happier considering the heavy impact on their lives due to the very long hours every day with some days not having time for a break due to the route schedule not actually having enough time for you to relax and take any time to stop for 30 minutes. Do not take this position if you are unable to get past the aspect of low relative pay and getting home everyday too tired to do anything but eat and go to sleep. Management is great and company has a good outlook currently. Company needs a better work life balance for the RSR's, management has much better flexibility with working hours and no consideration for anybodys time beneath them.
Pros
Great experience, and advancement opportunities.
Cons
unpredictable long hours, Bad work life balance.
My Review
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Prairie du Sac, WIOctober 15, 2018
It came down to too many hours away from home for me. That, and the fact that corporate insists on micromanaging every aspect of their salespersons lives, without having any true knowledge of what the day-to-day operations are. Sales people have zero ability to have any control over their routes, when they should be the ones consulted on why problems are occurring in the first place.
Micro managing galore and horrible management.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 14, 2018
I worked here for multiple years and saw many things get worth with my time there. Firing employees all the time ( managers as well ). Un realistic goals, and no honest training. Managers want miracles performed and you get on a unspoken “watch list “ . If you are honest or say the slightest thing that is constructive or advice it’s disreagred and taken as a poor attitude. Managers as well have said things don’t make sense to them and realize that fixing a minor issue would make all the worlds difference. Most employees are good but poor management turns them frustrated and low on morale instantly. Be cautious of mangers, will act like they are befriending you and will always have advice and time to assist. But that is a falsehood that ANY employee knows isn’t true but only few will say. So if you have a good team of guys who might help you and assist with what they know even though most of the time they can’t help either do to micro management or are in same position as you with issue. Also equipment breaks down more than employees morale.
Pros
Good entry level job.
Cons
Micro management, empty promises, no family life.
Excellent company to work for
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 12, 2018
Schwan's was the most enjoyable job I have been privilege to work for. I had an excellent manager that challenged me beyond my comfort zone, expected my best, was a positive influence and a very supportive boss. He produced an environment that made you want to get to work early and stay late to get your work done.
Pros
Excellent, positive, supportive work atmosphere
Cons
I really can't think of any.
A tough job. Many long hours with low pay.
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NYOctober 11, 2018
The idea of What Schwann did is good. The product is of high quality. The job required many long hours traveling a sales route. You generated your own clientele. It was a tough challenging job with little chance of making a decent wage.
Pros
Great product...
Cons
Long hours, low pay...
Fun faced paced work with good customer relations
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 7, 2018
Trucks are preloaded and serviced by depot staff. Depending on route you could do a lot of driving resulting in less stops and lower commission. Overall an enjoyable job.
Pros
Fun faced paced job.
Cons
Some days involved long hours.
Great place to work loved it all
Fleet Manager West Region (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 6, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Schwans. I was a Fleet Regional Manager and worked with great people. I would work there again and loved my job .great people great company
Pros
Great job great people
cell phone
Route Sales Driver (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAOctober 2, 2018
Lack of management, employees have lack of people skills and work ethic. They will change the pay structure to go back words if you make more than the other employees.
Pros
early start
Cons
pay, benifits
Poor leadership
Route Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 30, 2018
New manager brought in with no experience with Route driving and poor leadership skills. Did not know how to relate to employees and bad route management.
produciton
Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 30, 2018
This place does not care about employees only what they need at the time it is very cold and most of management doesn't follow up with what they tell u

Want to know more about The Schwan Food Company?

Ask a question
Damaged and ultimately destroyed a great marriage. Please don't work here. Nobody really cares about you here.
RSR Driver (Current Employee) –  No way, MsSeptember 27, 2018
Wages and pay structure have been "overhauled" a few times reducing worker wages while increasing management wages. They over work you and they have even begun giving your customers and commissions away to coworkers in an unfair way. You will never have time to live a reasonable personal life of any kind. Managers don't really care, they are too busy covering their own butts. Do yourself and your family better than this. Look elsewhere. Customers report having a worse and worse company contact experience than ever before. I was a long time customer before coming to work for this company. My opinion has become jaded at the least. When I leave I will no longer support this company in any way.
Pros
Good pay for hard work.
Cons
no appreciation at all. only abuse.
Pay is good, but job is not what I expected.
Line 3 Packaging (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYSeptember 26, 2018
I came into this job from a temp service. I was told I was going to be making frozen pizza's and get paid 16 dollars an hour since I was second shift. Even though I was going through a temp service, I still had to attend an interview at the location, so if you are thinking of using a temp service for this job, I would recommend just doing a direct hire instead. Orientation was held that following monday and it lasted 1 1/2 days. It consisted of watching the typical boring videos that all companies make you watch. Throughout the orientation we were introduced to different important people in the building, and even had a pizza lunch with them, so they could demonstrate the product that is made on the production line. They made the place seem like it was going to be the greatest place ever to work, and with the newly raised pay rate, they acted like it was a no-brainer to come work for them vs. their competitors across the street. (Durobag in kentucky). They have you start work for around an hour on your second day of orientation, and lets just say, if you are not a spanish speaking person, this job might not be for you. So my first full day they have me on line 3 packaging and the job isnt too bad at first, its cold in the warehouse, but on a hot summer day it can be enjoyable. After a couple days though, I felt that there was more to be desired, I wanted to make the pizza's, not just deal with the finished product. Also, I felt as if the foreign people that I was working with (99% spanish) did not like seeing me back there, and would come back from their break and seek me out  more... to come replace me in the certain task I was doing on the line, as if they thought I was out to replace them. I went to talk to HR to express my concerns, and was told that a position in the bakery department would be more of what I was looking for. I was told to check back on the status tomorrow. So i checked back that following day, they told me to come back tomorrow, so I did, for almost 2 weeks straight. Finally I got a call from my temp service one morning after my 3rd week of working there, and they told me that the Schwan Company was ending my assignment. When I asked why, they told me it was because I thought the job was "too boring". This company says they do everything they can to keep you there, but they do not if they actually have to "do" something to keep you there. They just hope they can get people in the door that do not speak english to do the job, and that the foreign people will do the job no questions asked. In the end, with the poor practices I seen in that warehouse with the pizza's, I would never recommend any Schwan company made pizza's (red baron, freschetta, ect..)  less
Pros
Pay $16 hour
Cons
Bad management and HR, no communication.
Fun workplace
Material Handler 2 (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNSeptember 24, 2018
Overall an okay place to work, can be stressful at times. They DO work with you on your schedule, so thats a plus. They keep changing the way they operate. Some decisions they implemented are good but there are bad ones too.
good company
Senior Material Handler/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 23, 2018
It's a good place to work. very flexible. the people were nice. the management was nice. good benefits, good 401K, good with scheduling, take care of their employees
Pros
flexible
A good job gone bad
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GASeptember 22, 2018
In February 2017, Schwans moved our office 45 miles away from our customers but would not fix our departure times to reflect the extra hour plus travel time to get to our first stop. We were treated like children. One example of this was that we had to put our names and the date we we're given a box of plastic delivery bags. Then had to bring the old box in to get a new box.
We were micromanaged and treated like we could not be trusted. Our morning meeting were like we we're in first grade. My truck was a 2009 and had 261K miles on it. I had to be towed in three times in four months. We we're forced to work over 10 hours even if we done. We worked 10 to 14 hour days. I had to work off the clock to keep from getting DOT violations. We would ride with another driver usually a manager and clock out when we reached our hours of service. We stayed on the truck and worked the rest of day. That made our DOT hours inaccurate. Schwans owed me a 40.00 change fund for over18 months until the day I left. We became just a number on a white Board. We had no quality of life. One employee bought his children in to load trucks. That put them in an industrial environment and they we're not paid.
Pros
Great customers 20% discount and extra reward points
Cons
Have to work over 10 hour days, Expected to work off the clock but ride with another driver and run routes to save DOT violations.
Apply if you like being the dog that pulls the sled...
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Alva, OKSeptember 21, 2018
When I started they had me at 20 hrs a week then took me down to 16. Nothing changed work-wise just had to work faster. They'll tell you to cover for the full timer by yourself even though you're only part time. You'll only get pto if you work more than 16 hours a week. Benefits are a joke. You'll double load every truck so when the full timer is alone they dont have to do much. The depot is filthy so they'll turn you into a housekeeper as well.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
liked fellow employees
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOSeptember 21, 2018
Was wanting to retire there didnt happen they expect you to do twice as much as they pay you for but other than that not to bad of a place to work for
Pros
free damage food
Cons
management
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh,PASeptember 21, 2018
There aren't enough hours in the day to meet all their expectations. If you want to have any kind of life, this job isn't for you. If you don't have a family or anything and are determined to make a lot of money, then this maybe for you. But get ready for 12 hour days with 60+ plus stops, malfunctioning equipment and pressure to harass customers into buying more.
Pros
Customer interaction, decent pay
Cons
Hours, stress, pressure from upper management
Fun place to work
Route Salesman (Former Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 20, 2018
Day to day was the same just in a different area. Go door to door selling products interacting with clients. Over time you get to know the people you sell to and build relationships.
Nope
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Streetsboro, OHSeptember 16, 2018
The company has changed for the worse in the last 4 years. The atmosphere is caustic. Management tells us a Korean company is looking to buy the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Schwan Food Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight