The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Employee Reviews

Featured review
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company selected this as a representative review
Working for Scott’s was such an awesome experience. Very laid back management and they wouldn’t pester you like some jobs. If I could’ve work full time I would’ve. Typical day is you showing up to your assigned store with a task list and squaring away the Scott’s section of said store, making sure that the sections look clean and presentable to customers.
I wish I had found Scotts 30 years ago. A very progressive company. Great growth potential. Has something to offer everyone who does any type of gardening. They offer help for grass to Gardenias. and everything in between.
Pros
I am appreciated for what I do. Super management.
Cons
I really can't think of any. I love what I do!
Job experience is highly dependent on your manager and coworkers. Manufacturing plant employees are often treated as an afterthought as compared to those in the corporate buildings. Pay is low compared to other companies, but benefits are good. Scotts does try to promote work-life balance where possible and holds many employee appreciation events throughout the year
Pros
Work-life balance, benefits
Cons
Low salary, non-inclusive culture
The job itself is pretty straightforward and takes about half a year to really get comfortable doing. You refill, build, and up keep displays in the stores that you work based off company needs and planograms. You work outside a lot so if heat bothers you (I'm in Florida) than this isnt the role for you. The job can be labor intensive but the better you keep up your stores, the less hard days you will work. Currently only part time but hours are very flexible and my manager is extremely cool with planned time off. Great job for anyone who is trying to get merchandiser experience and anyone who needs a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexibility, minimal to no supervision once you are trained, CEO was generous with hazard pay during pandemic, Autonomy
Cons
No full time available, physically demanding at times, wage isnt the highest but is fair based off work load and competitor wage vs work, no benefits, you will get dirty, job is seasonal so possibility of winter layoffs and reduced hours
You can work some long hours, but can also get days off if you can take them. When years are good, the company is very generous, but watch out when years are lean.
Pros
The CEO appreciates the hard work and can be very generous
Cons
You earn your money.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Jobs sucks. Management sucks. Everything out of order. Only work for 6 hours every other day. Don't waste your time. Job is for old people. Favoritism
Pay is okay. Management doesn't hire within company but choses people that have no experience. Management chooses if they like you or not, not based on experience in your work area. No mandatory OT. Benefits are okay, not the best.
Pros
Free Lunch provided during Covid!
A good place to work as long as your team members are in sync with yours. Physically demanding, you'll be in the best shape of your life after a few weeks.
Pros
Initially decent pay, responsibility rewarded
Cons
Takes advantage of seasoned veterans; pay increases minimal
I had the pleasure of working for Scotts for a number of years and they treated me very well. If you want to move your career forward and are willing to work hard then they will make that happen with you.
Pros
Good work environment, advancement opportunities
Cons
Compensation could be better
I enjoyed the job and returned . It was organized and steady during the seasonal portion and I was called in off season for some special duties here n there. The only negative was that attitudes of the Lowe’s and Home Depot management and garden employees. It was hatful , untrusting and even vindictive by store employees and garden vendors . This is why I didn’t ever go back.The Scott’s part of it was a pleasant experience.
Pros
Work
Cons
Stir mangers were rude
The Drama is really bad!!! Even the foremen and upper management are in the drama. HR tells coworkers about each other. Very unprofessional. And the way foreman’s talk about employees is awful
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Drama and a lot of hours
I worked there ten years ago so things have changed I'm sure. I was in college so the schedule was great for me. I started at 3am until my first class at 9 am then went back to work in between classes for the last 2.5 hours. My boss was awesome which most weren't but I was lucky. No vacation or PTO but you made you're own schedule as long as the work got done.
Pros
Schedule
Benefits
Seasonal Merchandiser. Manager was awesome and did the best job he could. Always available to assist and plan. Was flexible with work time and distance.
Pros
Flexible, management helpful.
Cons
No PTO for seasonal.
Scotts Miracle-Gro takes care of its employees but the fertilizer location in Orrville has lost its company values. You will work 6 days a week 10hrs a day in an extremely dusty, toxic environment. Most employees start out hand stacking thousands of bags of fertilizer a shift. For the compensation the work duties and dusty/chemical environment are severely underpaid. The production manager will only hire mid-twenty year old under-qualified foreman's; the belief around the plant is he does this so the shift leaders will not question his own incompetent leadership and decision making. With poor leadership comes a poor attitude among coworkers. The benefit of the Orrville location is there is a Growing Media and Distribution Center on the same property. My advice is to request working any other location than the fertilizer plant. Scotts Miracle-Gro is a good company just not the Orrville fertilizer location.
Pros
Good vision insurance.
Cons
Management, culture, environment, pay.
Official response from The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
November 9, 2020
Hi! Have you contacted your HR representative? If not, please feel free to reach out with any of your concerns. Or you can contact HR by going to HR One Hotline, 1-888-YOUR HR1 (1-888-968-7471).
Jobs not too hard. Pay is good. Lotta reviews on here complaining about the politics but really if you worked here and are complaining about the politics... be real you involved yourself in the politics. Place is great for people who like to do their own thing and keep to themselves.
Pros
Money money money, overtime if you want it
Cons
Some employees in the plant are corporate dogs
Nonstop production line work. Pay is decent with frequent overtime. Very physically demanding work. Be prepared to work nonstop when not on break. People are nice there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Physically demanding work
Loved working at Scotts, they value hard work and put the brand first and foremost. Managers and district managers were all great and valued the company message. Would love to stay but it's seasonal work.The work itself is physically demanding and depending on your local climate you can be working in extreme cold and heat in one season. I worked in 7 degree and 98 degree weather. You'll be building shoulder high towers of fertilizer, grass seed, and chemical sprays that can weigh up to 60 pounds all while expected to help any customer with any lawn and garden issue that Scotts sells a product for. You'll also be expected to work Saturdays during peak which is around 1-2 months. Don't take this job if any of those are deal breakers.The pay is higher than average and the company has a great 401k but it is full time for about 4-5 months and you will be downgraded to part time and then shortly after will be told there is no more work. This is only if your managers like you as I've seen people work for as little as 2 months, but if you're good you will work the full season which is still not year round. Advancement is definitely possible but without a college degree was unlikely.
Pros
Good base pay, great 401k, great work culture, fulfilling work
Cons
Seasonal, no advancement without a degree, lack of benefits, physically demanding work, weather, and reliant on store associates who do not work for scotts
Overall a great place to work the management takes all your needs into consideration and are uplifting and helpful. They will work wit your schedule and give hours that fit you.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Sometimes physically demanding
Covid created a training discrepancy for me. Scotts was so great to work with. Except, their daily communication application online would not work for me 95+% of the time. I believe this company would have been 5 stars if I didn’t have so many issues getting online with their employee website.
Pros
An educated, hard working, employee oriented, long term success, and lives in reality company.
Cons
The employee website, was very difficult to work with for me. I spent hours trying to connect every week.
You'll use your muscles in this job. If your supervisor likes you then you will get more hours. Job is only seasonal/temporary. You won't get promoted ever because of the good old boys club mentality. Doesn't matter how hard you work. So just go and get a job done and collect a paycheck. Nobody cares.
Pros
decent money
Cons
hard physical work, no advancement, no incentive
This was the worst place I have ever worked which is sad because Scott's is a great company with great products - despite my negative working experience at the Morrison plant I am still a Scott's customer - they really do make great products. But, when the manager at the plant finds it acceptable to insult workers, insinuate drug use and other highly inappropriate management "techniques" it was detrimental to my health to stay. I resigned and don't look for this location to remain a viable operating unit much longer. Run - you do not want to work here! There are many other places that pay better in the area with none of the drama.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else.