The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Employee Reviews

Not even considered
Safety manager applicant (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 16, 2018
I’m sure this is a good company to work for, but be advised that they are a tobacco-free company, and any use of any kind of tobacco is an automatically disqualifying event, no matter any qualifications. So if you use tobacco in any form, don’t bother applying. They don’t tell you this until you are all the way through the online application process and then it is spelled out clearly that you are automatically removed from consideration. Just an FYI. I’m guessing this strategy works for them in the ever-shrinking talent pool.
A good company to work for.
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSJune 14, 2018
Giving preshift meeting.Assigning crew their task for shift and walking the area for hazards and checking inventory.Getting all the tasks completed during the shift.I love having a crew that works well together.
irregular
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 14, 2018
Never knew day to day if you were working or not. Never knew how many hours you would be able to work depending on product change or placement. Often only 2-3 members of the 5 man crew were actually working.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, hours and mileage are logged online, seasonal
great place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHJune 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for Scotts Miracle Gro. I wish there was full time available. My manager is very fair and trustworthy. It was a temporary job. I was happy with it.
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Pearl MSJune 6, 2018
Over all Scotts is a very great place to work . Wages were very competitive , if not the best around . The work load was heavy at times but manageable . A normal day consist of catching calls and projects . The people are the best to be around . One of the best teams to work on .
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
No promotions
It was fun educating customers.
Merchandiser (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJune 6, 2018
It was a great place to work. The downfall was it was seasonal. I worked alone and sent pictures to my Boss as of what I did that day. I did do a lot of traveling.
Pros
Free lunches, sometimes.
Cons
Seasonal
Material Handler/ Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Avondale, PAJune 5, 2018
Machine Operator duties was to operate the bagging machine and keeping an eye on the machine making sure it was in operating condition so the product would be properly bagged
Productive and fun place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 27, 2018
Great job and employees. Paid breaks with chance for advancement. Good benefits, family oriented, excellent communication amongst staff. Great 401k package
Pros
Pay
Cons
No cons
Hard, dirty work
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTMay 26, 2018
Lack of personal protective equipment caused me to become ill several times due to breathing heavy dust particles. New equipment was not properly designed for product production and this created numerous maintenance issues. I did enjoy working for my supervisor, who understood the equipment issues.
Work as Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Central VirginiaMay 26, 2018
I've been with Scotts for a few months, and although it's great for a parent in flexibility, the work is too inconsistent. I am not sure why after the planting season you only get about 10-15 hours a week when reps with Pennington get 30-40 and Pennington makes 15 an hour compared to 12 for Scotts. If I had advice, I'd say, hire more reliable people, as the person I got hired with is barely able to work, so the entire job falls on me, when it is a two person job sometimes.
Pros
Very flexibile, boss is great.
Cons
no benefits, some store managers can be difficult to deal with, the employees of stores act like you are taking something away from them.
Productive and fun place
Merchandiser (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 20, 2018
i stocked and clean bags of dirt as well as packing out product. I also worked to restock shelves and help customers with any help they needed. It wasn't too bad.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours and long travel
Excellent place to work
Material Planner / Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 18, 2018
I truly enjoy my current position, but unfortunately, the decision was made to close this facility. It's a great place to work. I've been working at this plant for almost 36 years, but under different owners.
Good Company. no advancement
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNMay 14, 2018
This company is a large company, I found management was good , but there is no where to go in this part of the county with this company. If you live near Cleveland it is a good job.
Lead Formulations Operator (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 11, 2018
Job security risks but great place to work with great benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the constant workload that came along with it, never bored always something to do.
Great Products- Management is going downhill
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHMay 11, 2018
The career was a very good choice for someone with out a degree. The positions for advancements were always good. After the CEO made some crazy changes that all dissipated and expectations were raised to extreme levels that could not be met.
Pros
Flexibility
decent job for students
Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 30, 2018
Decent job to help students make ends meet. Boss was extremely understanding. Pay increases with tenure. Hard work, and you will get dirty but I would recommend to anyone who is capable.
Dead end
Line operator (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, KYApril 20, 2018
Long hours, bad balance between work and home. Always promised full time to new employees but hardly any openings that get filled. Always shorthanded.
Pros
Cons
Sweat shop
Solid environment
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHApril 20, 2018
Scotts is a great place to work, good environment, and room to advance, friendly staff. The benefits package is adequate and the on site health center is a plus.
Great culture
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTApril 12, 2018
The Scotts organization has a major emphasis on safety, so much so that safety was the biggest part of the culture among all employees.
It's a very busy and very fast paced work environment where pallets of product are continually coming off the line, and semi trucks come into the yard all hours of the day to be loaded or unloaded with product.
Management is very willing to work with your personal schedule, such as school, they are very focused on getting work complete on time as any manager would be, but safety is always their top priority.
I was a temporary contract employee and worked 10 hours per day, and alternated between 5 and 6 day work weeks. Even so, I loved working here so much that I would've tried pursuing a long term career with Scotts if I wasn't attending school full-time, but 50 and 60 hour work weeks are too much for 15 credit hours of upper division courses.
Pros
Major safety culture, good pay
Cons
Long weeks
N/a
In Store Vender (Season Employment) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
Morning would start with getting items pulled down. Afterwards, all shelves & bins were restocked & cleaned. After that, we would assist any customers in looking for the appropriate products they needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

3.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight