The SEED School of Miami Employee Reviews

3.3Job Security & Advancement
Quick-paced, not for everyone
ESOL/ESE/ELA Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 28, 2018
The school is unique, as it allows teachers to build a strong teacher-student relationship. Youth development is HUGE. This college-prep boarding school serves the under-serviced youth. The admissions criteria for student enrollment foreshadows the population that you will be working with. Students live 200% below the poverty line, have one or both parents incarcerated, live with guardians or foster families, etc...There is resistance at first from students, but if adults enter with empathy and respect, students are more than willing to work. HOWEVER, this place is not for everyone. Teachers and staff leave almost as often as some of the students. The school is still in its developing stages, as it only serves 6th through 9th grade students. There a lots of reasons to leave if empathy and respect are not your lifestyle. This school is a 24 hour model and requires adults to incorporate social life skills into the everyday behavior management system called Model of Care (MOC). Training sessions are essential. Staff who enter in the summer will have weeks of training prior to the start of the academic calendar; staff who enter after the start of the academic year will more than likely leave because of its fast-paced and high demanding requirements. If training is lacking, you can feel left behind. ALWAYS ASK TO BE TRAINED. ALWAYS ask for help. People will not hold your hand, but are more than willing to hear you out if you need help. Benefits are great, pay is increased annually. Coworkers can be great (as anywhere, make friends with the right people), but scheduling is an issue  more... and seeing anyone throughout the day that isn't a child happens rarely. Like I said, FAST-PACED. Not for the faint of heart. Management is busy; be prepared to ask colleagues for help. Several positions exist at this school and each comes with its own intricacies. You can leave when you want, so if it doesn't fit, there is no contract or obligation for notice. It is still good practice to let management know because common courtesy.

It is definitely a learning opportunity, if nothing else. Get to know the people who have been there for years. Hear what they say. Consider it, but make up your own mind. Made several memorable mistakes; management worked with me because I was willing to work on improving, rather than defend them. Management loves a growth mindset. You definitely become more reflective here. It was the best and most challenging teaching experience I could have asked for; I feel more than equipped to handle anything the future brings, but there is always room for growth.
Pros
Relationship-building, pay, benefits, and trainings
Cons
work-life balance is zero, requires a high amount of flexibility, can seem overwhelming, high turnover, expectations can seem unrealistic (at first)
24 Hours of total learning in all faucets of life
Over Night Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 29, 2017
This job has taught me the importance of investing in lives of impoverished children from dire environments. I have learned how to be patient and build a solid relationship with the student, to pull them on my level of reasoning. One common mistake in the Education realm is that one size of learning fits all, which is not true. There are different levels and measures of human contact and connectivity that are expected in order draw smiles versus frowns.
Pros
Strong relationships
Cons
Short amount of time