The Shape of Behavior Employee Reviews

Rewarding Job
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 6, 2018
It's a productive day and very rewarding job. It can be stressful at times but the kids are worth it. There is room to grow and potential for higher pay.
Fun fast paced rewarding job
RBT (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2018
I love working for the Shape of Behavior. The job is rewarding, my management team is amazing, and the kids are a blast to work with. I will say that more recognition of all the hard work that goes into keeping a clinic going from the corporate office would be nice but the immediate management team does great!
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
More PTO would be nice
Great place to work!
RBT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
I have been with The Shape of Behavior for almost 9 years, and though I have had ups and downs, it has been a great experience overall. Providing therapy to patients is hard work, but it is very rewarding. If you choose to work here, expect to go home with sweat on your brow and a smile on your face because I guarantee you that you will work hard and make a difference EVERY SINGLE DAY. You will teach children skills that will change their lives and it will make you feel amazing. This job is not sunshine and rainbows all the time, because hey, you're working with children who do not have the skills to communicate appropriately and effectively...yet. That's where you come in. If you're patient, kind, love children and want to make a difference and feel good about yourself at the same time, this is the place for you.
Pros
I love shaping the lives of children with autism!
Hard yet rewarding
BCBA (Current Employee) –  Houston AreaApril 19, 2018
This field is hard yet rewarding. You can tell everyone really cares for the kids and their families. Dealing with problem behavior can be stressful. It takes lots of patience as well as the ability to see progress overtime.
Pros
Staff Days, the children, working as a team, everyday is different
Cons
Problem Behaviors, High Stress
Stressful
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2018
THIS JOB IS STRESSFUL! corporate does not care about their employees and does not pay well. for someone doing the same job as everyone else gets paid way less for not having a degree (in which you never use here). Then they change everyones pay to above what you make coming in and don't change yours to match!!!!! OVERALL RIDICULOUS
Stressful and Underpaid
RBT (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 25, 2018
Kids are cool...However no room for growth. I’ve seen people that have been there for years and never move up. High amounts of favoritism. The job is very stressful with small pay. The corporate people constantly try to find ways to screw you over. They never show appreciation of the hard work the RBT’s do. When they pay for lunch (which is very rare) they only give each staff $5 a piece. Very disorganized when it comes to corporate and all they do is watch the cameras looking for something to say. They only give you four personal days after the first 90 days. You have to work for free to gain further PTO or wait until the next year. My advice is to not work here.
Pros
Great Coworkers, kids
Cons
Pay, management
not worth it
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2018
you will long hours and not get paid fairly. The kids are just a number there and they lie to parents about their progress. they will not fight for your kids when insurance wants to kick them off and the BCBA dont keep up to date with the kids progress.
Poor leadership
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 4, 2018
Poor ethics and management skills. I was disgusted by the behavior displayed by the BCBA and upper management. This company cares more about expanding vs. care for clients.
Pros
Cons
Where do I begin?
Stressed and Underpaid
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2017
The management team is unprofessional.

The BCBA is no help at all in the rooms

Corporate are like helicopter parents, criticizing every movement made.

Pay Sucks

Advancement is not based on performance but popularity

Time off without pay during the holiday breaks (clinic closed for 3 days during Thanksgiving, only paid for one day. Clinic closed for 6 days during Christmas Holiday, only paid for 2 days)
Low wages
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXNovember 30, 2017
Low wages, high stress, no appreciation of lower level staff. You are consistently made aware you MUST work any time, any site location. Only 2 paid holidays, plus 10-15 holiday days off UNpaid.
Pros
sense of accomplishment
Cons
low wages
Enjoyed the patients and Staff but Manager never helped
RBT (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 15, 2017
To start off with what you do there is amazing work. I was grateful enough to work with such amazing kids. And would do the same job just a different company & definitely a different manager. You're on your feet all day long from 8am-5pm only break you get is 1 hour lunch. That at times is at 10am with no break or 2pm lunch with also no break. At first the manger said "l give you breaks if you need it just let me know." Which didn't end up happening at all it would take the manger a while to let staff even go to the bathroom. If you felt sick manager would make you feel bad about it and say you'll be short staff if you do leave. Manger would hear us having trouble with some patients & would never bother to get up from her office chair to see if we were okay. Would close the doors to not listen to the patients when they would have problems behaviors. Manger would never turn any paper work on time for staff. Which would cause no pay for certain pay period or no vacation time. Manger wouldn't bother to get on the floor to help even when short staffed. Which would make days way more stressful because you wouldn't get any help. Manger would also leave the clinic for up to 3 hours. Manger would give us dirty work even though we were busy with patients doing therapy & manger didn't feel the need to do it while sitting down at her desk. When patients were being aggressive we would yell asking for help & manger wouldn't step in until it was too late. When staff would have problem behavior with patients. Manger would walk by and laugh at you struggling. Manger has no idea about the  more... patients because manger never works with them. Manger stays in office or never at the clinic. So when you ask a question about something manger doesn't know. Letting corporate know about some of the struggles and they just brush it off. Overall the staff I worked with pretty much trained me, answered all my questions about the patients. Only reason I didn't quit sooner were the kids and staff. They always had a great attitude to work around and they knew team work. The children were awesome to watch grow everyday. Its amazing to see them learn new words or living skills and you know you're behind that. Its an amazing feeling. I love what I did here who I worked with but the company needs help. And the manger needs more training on how to work in a team and how to treat a team. Overall it was a great experience got to meet amazing people (staff & patients.)  less
Pros
Staff worked as a team to keep things running. What the job does with the patients is awesome
Cons
Management needs training & company needs to listen to their employees
pretty cool place
Behavior Therapist (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXOctober 18, 2017
I enjoy working with the kids and teaching them new things and learning new thing as well about each child and how to care for them so its a pretty good place to work
Current Employee
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 12, 2017
I really enjoy working with the children and families at The Shape of Behavior. The work environment is very supportive and the compensation rate is one of the highest in the area. Our team works together collaboratively and training and support are always available for employees that care enough to ask for it. We have an open door policy and any issues that arise and are brought to the attention of management are handled promptly.

Days can be hectic, but when you work with special needs children, that is to be expected.
For the love of ABA practices and children with Autism
Registered Behavior Therapist ID (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXSeptember 6, 2017
Been a loyal employee and love what I do as it will become a career choice for me. Some staff show to have passion within this field so it makes the job worthwhile as it is a demanding job mentally and physically. My immediate manager is willing to work with your schedule as much as possible depending on how many patient to staff ratio there is.
Pros
Staff days to work on program materials
Cons
Corporate communication
High school mentality
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
Completely unprofessional environment. The job itself is rewarding however they mislead you with your compensation and benefit information. They claim 40 hours a week however, you never reach 40 since you have one day out the week that's considered an early day where you only work 6 hours and they clock you out without your knowledge if they feel like you are to close to 5pm or they write you up for going 40 or over. The insurance is extremely high and unaffordable if you have to pay for basic necessities like rent, car note and food. Also, the salary they state to get you in is false. I was told with a bachelor's degree you start at 14 dollars a hour after training and certification you get 16 a hour. Once I completed training and certification I was only moved to 15 dollars a hour. Also if you have no degree they start you at 10 dollars a hour which is horrible considering the work you do and the unprofessional management you deal with daily. If you have a bachelor's degree run elsewhere this is not sufficient income for your hardwork!
Pros
Working with amazing kids
Cons
Pay, time, benefits, management, no true room for growth
Poor ABA model
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  TexasJanuary 31, 2017
The Shape of Behavior advertises intense ABA, but unfortunately does not deliver. The BCBAs are overloaded with large caseloads, the managers are too busy to offer proper training and support to the technicians, and due to the extremely high turnover rate, half of the technicians are in training and not RBTs.
As an employee, there is no appreciation from the company. The attitude is that you're lucky to have this job and if you don't appreciate it, you're replaceable. Employees are disciplined for everything, and terminated often.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Not enough support to balance the level of stress
The children are worth it but horrible corporate structure
Registered Behavior Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 22, 2017
Worked here for a year. Favoritism is big issue and younger staff do not abide by company protocol and manager does nothing about it. Corporate is like helicopter parents always critiquing and evaluations are based on others. Not much room for growth.
Pros
Breaks, clients, paid training
Great coworkers horrible management
Registered Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TX 77479December 16, 2016
It's all about favoritism. There is no room for advancement, the turnover ratio is way too high. Feels like working with high school students. Lots of gossip and pettiness among the staff and management.
Working for the Shape in Harlingen or McAllen is the worst
Found a better job (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXDecember 12, 2016
The management is ridiculous in how they do everything but manage. They talk about co-workers to other co-workers. If management doesn't like you, they put you with more challenging children to set you up for failure or they make points to critique your work and not once give praise. The supervisor in Harlingen is a kid who isn't even certified in ABA and the actual certified ABA supervisor is a complete jerk who has no soul. If this isn't enough for you.. Then apply and learn for yourself.
Pros
Free lunches once a month
Cons
Management sucks
Run!
N/A (Current Employee) –  SCAugust 28, 2016
I was with the company for over a year. The manager has favorites and allow her friends to be disrespectful to other coworkers. The Manger would set rules only to break them. The manager models improper safety care and allowed a team member to handle a patient ruff. Looking for something new.
Cons
Lack of good management