The Sonder Autism Center
Happiness rating is 59 out of 100

Working at The Sonder Autism Center: 17 Reviews

United States17 reviews

Overall I had fun at Sonder and appreciate the sessions I ran there with my clients my only issue was management and lack of respect.

I worked at Sonder 2019-2020 during that time frame we were consistently losing staff. The management team was made up of RBTs with no education pass a high school diploma. We could never keep BCBA’s because the RBTs who made up the management team would take charge and not allow the BCBAs or BCaBAs practice ABA as their educational background and BACB certifications permitted them. At the time I was an RBT and the majority of the staff were dating each other or creating some type of drama. I do appreciate my time there because the BCBA and BCaBA at the time taught me a great deal and thanks to their efforts I have continued my education and am currently a behavior analyst. There was no structure or respect for the individuals who obtained their BCBA and BCaBA certification. Sonder was the only place I have ever worked where RBTs and BTs would not follow plans and create their own without permission from the analyst. It does not shock me that they to this day can not keep a analyst. I can say they took great care of their clients.

Pros

6 weeks of vacation a year, flexible schedules and learning opportunities when they are able to keep an analyst.

Cons

Management, no structure

Wouldn't recommend

Miserable environment. They need to get cameras. No breaks. Very gossipy environment, mostly in management. Pay isn't good when compared to other companies. Their approach to aba isn't the best.

The Sonder Autism Center insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great place to grow and learn and help kids with special needs.

I worked for Sonder for over two years and left due to relocation to a different state. I strongly disagree with some of the other reviews. Management is very involved and will MAKE you succeed. They incorporate fidelity checks in their supervision sessions to check on your dedication and integrity to client progress and outcomes. The Leads are wonderful also and do a great job training. The company gives you the option to work a straight shift with your clients (which I loved being able to get in and out) and all staff get to choose whether or not to take a break. This is overall a great company and I was lucky enough to be a part of it.

Pros

Professional development, staff reinforcement, on site supervision.

Cons

A lot of change, although good. Also, I felt the company was forced to keep poor performers at times because of staffing.

Poor management, Questionable Center

They offer a full range of benefits (401(k), PTO, health, dental, vision, etc...). The benefits are better than some other centers in the area. Client dignity is questionable, hours are not flexible, no breaks, lack of client supervision, management is not approachable, and client treatment programs are not updated regularly.

Amazing job

Started working at Sonder with not much of a background working with Autistic children. Received on the job training and help studying for my test. Past the test no problem and because a registered Behavior Therapists. Due to health reasons I had to leave the Company but I am hopeful I can return once my health is restored. I love the job clients and staff.

Coworkers like one big family

Remarkable place to work can't say enough about this company and their employees. We are like one big happy family. Very supportive staff. Awesome training program. Paid on the job training!

Great learning environment fun job

My coworkers are awesome so are the clients. Best job I've ever had. Opportunity to advance with supportive staff. There is paid on the job training and your coworkers are more than happy to help you train for your test.

The job itself was amazing, and being able to see change in my students life was life changing, but management ruins it all

I have worked with children all my life, and I have had jobs that I would never return to even if they offered to triple my salary and Sonder is one of those. The RBTs were dedicated and some of the hardest working people I have ever seen, but management and HR cannot see that. Instead they allow for the BCBAs to intimidate and belittle employees. I learned a lot at Sonder, but more often than not it was because I had the drive to teach myself what I needed to know. Every knowledgeable employee has been chased out and been replaced with mindless yes men

Pros

Changing the lives of children in need

Cons

No break (offered but if you take it you can’t get your full 8 hours), Stressful work environment, Doesn’t deliver on promises, Deception is the name of the game

Poor management client dignity always questioned

Poor management poor communication between staff and Hr Clients are not supervised as needed or requiredPoor training BCBAs will prove supervision however no feed back to help you grow. Client dignity is always brokenCompany does not pay for federal holidays example Christmas

Pros

40 hours a week

Cons

No breaks poor training

Ocala Sonder has drop to the lowest since having inadequate lead BCBA & the other BCBA

The RBTs are amazing, the clients as well, & the work is amazing! It's a shame that the work atmosphere & the current "BCBA'S" they have do not know what they are doing.. The current lead BCBA & the other BCBA are inadequate of being BCBA's, as well as not taking others opinions (the lead), taking feedback, & always mentioning their 'years of experience of being a teacher' however not much to none of ABA or special needs. Since they arrived the Ocala company lost good staff & the work environment/morality has declined.. drastically. What the Ocala Sonder NEEDS is a DIRECT supervisor in charge of the Ocala site that knows what they are doing & makes it what it is... an ABA CLINIC. Not a circus of incompetent BCBA's, supervisors, or etc. This place will not last.

Pros

Paid lunches, Pto

Cons

The BCBA's

Horrible management. No follow through.

This company cannot make up their minds on what they want or how they want their school and clinics run. Constant staff, policy, and schedule changes makes it impossible to create a structured environment that the children we serve need. Only focus is on billing and making money. Functional outcomes are not a priority. Little to no training and communication is all over the place. The only positive to this company are the benefits.

Pros

PTO and healthcare.

Cons

Lack of communication, constant policy changes.

Fast pace establishment but rewarding!

Working at Sonder, I feel very lucky. Management is great, the compensation plus benefits is fair, they don't micromanage your every move like other companies in the area, and they genuinely care about their staff. ABA is a tough field but I would recommend Sonder to anyone who was interested. Lots of room for growth too.

Pros

Productive work environment, great PTO plan and mentorship

Cons

Tough field with high burnout

Good benefits- terrible communication between management and staff

There is no communication between floor staff and management. Empty promises from management with little to no support. Staff is over worked, under paid, and the staff morale is very poor.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor communication, poor management strategies

Absolutely terrible.

This company was extremely difficult to work for. The turnover was high and staff morale was terrible. Management was constantly pushing for higher billing, and offering no time for treatment planning. They frequently provided write ups for not finishing plans with little to no warning that they were due, write ups for lack of delegating treatment plans to BCaBAs, and write ups for not catching when BCaBAs made errors on plans, while offering no time to review plans written by the BCaBAs.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Lack of clear leadership, huge push to maximize profits, always a lack of staff

A disaster/ failing company in the making.

If you care about the benefit of your children, do not take them to this company. The management is poor. After working with several clients, I've found that the data recorded for children is entirely irrelevant to the specific child themselves. All input is based off of overall expectancy and not formulated for each child's skill set. I was excited to begin with this company; then quickly read between the lies I was sold. ABA is offered, to prepare client's for high functioning environments as well as develop new skill sets at their pace etc. and I can assure you the staff members are NOT prepared to make that possible... I cannot fully blame the staff. Company owners/ HR/ Operations do not offer appropriate deescalation training, they don't prepare staff for high-magnitude problem behaviors, they did not keep consistent demands/ expectations and most importantly good communication with staff or parents.

Pros

Awesome clients

Cons

Everything else

Fair and full filling place to work

The Sonder Academy is a fair and fun place to work. Co-workers are friendly and always ready to help when needed. Management is helpful and acknowledge when you are working hard.I would suggest The Sonder Academy to anyone who loves kids and wants to help families with children with Autism.

Pros

Great benefits-fair and friendly management and staff

Good workplace. Pushes to teach you ABA.

A typical day at Sonder includes working with some of the best clients and having BCBAs in house every day to help. This company hired me as a new RBT and has helped teach me to be come a confident RBT. Sonder administration pushes to have a respectful and ethical culture at The Sonder Academy. HR is helpful with needs and concerns. Administration does their best to make sure the needs and morale stay high within the company especially during trying times, like COVID. Overall, a wonderful place to work.

Pros

training, consistent work, helpful BCBAs and administration, lots of PTO for full time employees, good benefits.

Cons

short breaks

Common questions about The Sonder Autism Center

Answered by current and former employees at The Sonder Autism Center

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Sonder Autism Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits