The Sportsman's Guide

The Sportsman's Guide Employee Reviews in South Saint Paul, MN

South Saint Paul, MN14 reviews

Productive and good place to work.

Good place to work with production standards and incentives. Competitive wage and benefits. Friendly staff with quality management to help you succeed.

Pros

Incentives, benefits and 401k

Cons

Occasional overtime and weekends

Fast Paced

When it's busy, you'll stay busy. But, when it slows down, the days are very short. You'll be lucky to get 5hrs depending on what department you are in. The attitudes from others there can be draining.

Pros

Decent pay, benefits

Cons

Out of date equipment

The Sportsman's Guide insights

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Good Team Enivronment

The Mechandising team at The Guide was outstanding during my time there. You wear lots of hats and learn many facets of direct to customer/e--commerce retail. It was a great open enironment which was great for people who like to learn and are willing to listen to other thoughts an opinions. Leadership empowered the merchants and gave you a real sense of ownership. It was a great place too "grow up" and learn the business.

Fum, laid back, dailey challenges

Able to make decisions, work as a team as well as indendently, learned something new everyday! Many different tasks, keeps you busy all day! Able to advance quickly.

Pros

Challenging

Cons

Favortism

Productive and safe environment.

Great place to work. Very friendly and helpful staff. Company has good benefits to include medical, dental, 401k, and good employee discounts. A very safe and comfortable place to work.

Managament Missteps

New management tried and failed to make the company something that is had never been and never could be, destroyed a great place to work. Sad to watch the company slowly disintegrate over the past few years.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor management

Productive and great work environment .

Great work environment evryone is really professional . I enjoyed my time working there as a picker, packer and shipper . My work experience grew working for this company .

Pros

3 Company picnics a year

It looks better than it really is. It's not that great.

The Sportsmans Guide was fun at first, I worked in the call center and my friend in the warehouse. They never have hours unless busy season, so we were always sent home. And he got let go after being hired for a while simply because there wasn't work. As well as 25 other people who were fired too! That is so unprofessional to hire people and then have slow work volume so have to fire them.. I didn't really see any chances for advancements like I expected to. I feel most of the people go base or favoritism and I don't think it's as great as I first thought it was. They're a let down.

Pros

Easy work, decent pay for it.

Cons

Micromanagers, no hours hardly ever any work, unfair management, horrible security not nice people!

Hard work and a good experience

This job was hard work in the beginning but became a fun challenge. I learned how to drive different types of forklifts and became the main operator in the receiving department. Everyone was very nice and worked hard.

Pros

Set full-time hours and good people to work with.

Learned the ins and outs of the warehouse. Was a fun place place to work. Variety of products and learned codes for colors and sizes. Also have knowledge of returns process.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The Sportsman's Guide?

Fun if you like to be disposable

I LOVED the work and I had a great rapport with the customers who called in, but the management prefer to throw a $10 in-house gift card at a suffering part-time employee working 10 hours a day six days a week. Oh, they never keep their promises

Pros

bonuses

Cons

treated like cattle

Fast Paced, Crazy at times

The Sportsman's guide is a okay place to work. It has its ups and downs. You have the chance to make good money but I've been there a while and the things that they are changing is affecting the money that I can make and its time to make a change. The people there are good people and diverse. Management is fair for the most part. Overall I'd rate working here 3 out of 5

Pros

chance for good money, good people

Cons

Health care, not much chance for advancememt

Call Center Represenative

The other review is pretty accurate. If the managers like you life is great. If you get on their bad side life isn't so great. That being said they are very flexible with life/work and understand that things come up. The easiest way to get by in the call center is to maintain your stats and keep quiet. also be on time.

Pros

flexible, pay is nice for part time job, great discount

Cons

not the job for you if you can't be a mindless drone.

Management valued likeability over performance

This is a great place to work, if you are liked or favored by the members of management. The work/life balance is favorable/flexible for those who have lives outside of the workplace. Also, the managers/enviroments do provide a good atmosphere to work independently. Management's philosophy is NOT to increase sales or inventory turns. Management does not seek continuous improvement, is slow to recognize and react to marketplace changes, and is unwilling to take risks to challenge the status quo. Management's goal is to CYA, and maintain things the way they have always been. Management is unwilling to take any input, new ideas, or criticism from anyone: as long as you are able to follow management's directives without question, you will have long-term success with this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Sportsman's Guide. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

The Sportsman's Guide Reviews by Location

Learn about The Sportsman's Guide in South Saint Paul, MN

• The Sportsman's Guide
  • South Saint Paul, MN
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?