The Standard Insurance Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive place to work for
Customer Contact Rep I (Current Employee) –  Altavista, VASeptember 16, 2018
I enjoy working for this company due to the advancement of job opportunities within the company. The management team is awesome and the company have fun outings with the employees.
Well compensated
Senior Short-Term Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTSeptember 4, 2018
little supervision, direction and almost no training. Manager always too busy to assist with issues or questions. Huge workloads, over extend employees
Good career opportunity
Forms Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 22, 2018
I spent two different temp assignments with Standard, and was soon offered a direct hire. Great pay, great benefits, great people. The work can be stressful, but you have support available when you need it.
Pros
Excellent opportunities for career, and advancement.
Cons
After nine years as a regular employee the company outsourced the entire department.
Profitable, established company that resists change
Manager, Supplier Management & Governance (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 20, 2018
Standard Insurance is a highly ethical company that does extensive charity work in the local community. The executive management (the "MC") is capable and the company has a long track record of profitability.

Culture is, however, fairly static and resistant to significant change (one exception is the Lean initiative pushed by IT). There is a "not invented here" mentality and most employees are not pushed or coached to excel in their roles. Company culture is conservative, even for an insurance and financial services company.
Pros
Excellent 401(k) match, Tri-met subsidy, nice office space downtown
Cons
Company culture, "don't rock the boat" mentality
Good local company
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 13, 2018
This is a decent company whose culture genuinely encourages community service, professional development and pays competitively. It's full of knowledgeable, focused professionals, and it's a good-sized company for what it does. It is definitely a corporate environment, but it has retained some desirable vestiges of the local company it once was. The best part of working at Standard is the other people.
Pros
Local, Established, Loyal to employees
Cons
Pay-banding, limited opportunities for advancement
Lots of necrotism, but not horrible
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 11, 2018
I actually do miss Standard. It's a very collaborative company and you will find people from all walks of life there...very kind and some very smart people.

However, there is a lot of necrotism going down here. Even I got my job because my mom used to work at the company. You always know somebody who knows somebody. I found that I would interview for different roles in the company and it was a waste of time because they already had somebody in mind. When they went public, lots of things changed. The company went from an in-house IT department to IBM in India, and that really changed the culture a lot. You went from knowing your buddy in IT to some random 800 number for help. Bonus payout was pathetic at best, usually 3% of your salary and raises were about 5%.
Great Place to work and innovate
RPA Lead Developer/Architect (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 9, 2018
Great infrastructure to work, latest technologies. Perfect environment for innovations and ideas. Best at leadership and governance. Happy to work for the company again
Security Operations
IT Security Operations Center Director (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 29, 2018
A security operations center (SOC) is a centralized unit that deals with security issues on an organizational and technical level. A SOC within a building or facility is a central location from where staff supervises the site, using data processing technology.[1] Typically, a SOC is equipped for access monitoring, and controlling of lighting, alarms, and vehicle barriers.[2]
Temporary Receptionist
Temporary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309July 29, 2018
This job was in a fairly relaxed but sometimes fast paced environment, however it was a great place of employment. I had a temporary assignment through an agency is how I landed this job. It was better than my expectations if I shall say so myself. The staff was very welcoming and friendly and when my assignment ended I was very sad to go.
Customer Service REp (Current Employee) –  PortlandJuly 27, 2018
Great culture, great opportunities to learn and advance in your role,Management is supporting.

The workplace culture is very supportive, engaging and team building
Review
Senior Short-Term Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTJuly 23, 2018
Remote location. Management absent at most times. Difficult to have questions answered. Eliminated position and moved the work to west coast. The salary was competitive.
Very stressful fast paced management would not stand behind the examiners findings
Senior Disability Benefits Examiner (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 6, 2018
numerous phone calls unknown amount of claims assigned per day
systems are outdated management would reassign examiners in different roles and rename their job titles leaving more work for less examiners without back filling the positions
Pros
great benefits
Cons
to many expectations
Stability
Senior Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2018
The work atmosphere was positive and energetic. Plenty of training was available. Coworkers were always willing to help.Once a year you were sent to Portland for additional training.
Best Group of People to work with
Account Specialist Onsite (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 18, 2018
Can't say enough great things about working for The Standard. They take good care of their employees and the staff is so personable...like family and makes you feel welcome.
Pros
Work/life balance, training, family culture, teamwork, business-minded colleagues, well managed
Cons
Work away remote away from most the Standard employees.
Not a great place to work
Systems Support Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 9, 2018
Very few good perks are left. Outsourcing is common, raises are small. Opportunity for advancement exists and you can move between departments, which is a perk.
Data Integrator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 23, 2018
I am not a direct employee to standard and so doesn't get any benefits. But It's wonderful company where an employee is most respected. Managers do conduct one-one meetings every week to understand employee's work pressure and jump in for any help.
Loved working here
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Colleyville, TXApril 5, 2018
nice staff! everyone is eager to help you learn and succeed. good hours, good pay, very hands on job. I did not get bored despite it being an office job.
Terminated
Implementation (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 4, 2018
I don't trust the company due to the way my termination was handled. Human Resources didn't trust the front line employee, only took the word of the supervisor.
Great people to work with
Audit Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 2, 2018
Great place to work and grow. I worked in a couple different areas of the company. Enjoyed the environment, I would recommend the Standard to anyone. I want to leave to find a new career
Enjoyed the culture and environment at The Standard
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 9, 2018
A typical day at work involved a lot of learning about the business and developing a training structure for the Operational Excellence group. My manager had a great vision and 3-5 year plan and could communicate it very effectively. I felt like a part of the team and was valued for my input. I enjoyed the work and my time here. I also loved the company's involvement in philanthropic work and in improving the local community.
Pros
Environment, manager's vision, collaboration
Cons
Location, multiple buildings to travel to/from