The State Bar of California Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Typical work day
INVESTIGATOR (periodic contract FT & PT) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017May 24, 2018
Stationed in a work station with a PC analyzing cases/complaints to determine if charges will be filed in the State Bar Court. Some field work involved, but not much.
Do not accept a job here
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
This used to be a great place to work at but new management gradually changed that and has become extremely petty, has no interest in employee well-being and only cares about their political advancement by cutting out every benefit. Staff has triple the work it can complete competently but is always pushed to do more and faster. Reviews are always geared towards what employees do wrong and never towards promoting their skills. Managers in place are not trustworthy and consistently try to “write up” staff. There is an incredible amount of turnover due to this. I would not recommend working here as an attorney or investigator.
Cons
Micromanagement, low morale, unrewarding
Healthy Working enviornment
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 31, 2018
My time at the State Bar of California was very enjoyable. Everyone was a team player and helped to reach department goals. I would suggest that anyone offered a position at the state bar, take it.
stressful and overworked
Administrative Assistant II, Call Center Unit (Former Employee) –  CASeptember 5, 2017
it is ok to work there but it can stressful at times. the people are great with some exceptions. the culture is now overwork people with a high degree of stress
Horrible place to work
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 27, 2017
If you enjoy working in a cube farm, this is the place for you. Senior staff treated new hires like idiots. Everyone listens to your phone calls. Horrible management.
Okay place if you don't mind micro-management.
Deputy Trial Counsel (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 17, 2017
There is an extraordinary amount of supervision and internal memo writing for management to cover its posterior, apparently. Bench trials are few and far between as the system is designed to encourage settlements with the respondent attorney.
Great work enviroment, very slow paced
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2017
The State Bar is full of wonderful people, but there is not much structure and things get done very slowly. Management works closely with everyone. Not much room for advancement either.
Good
Law Academy Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2017
Good experience, waa a able to help out with a lot if different things that are inoortant within the legal profession. I liked this jib alot thanks for it
Good
Awesome place!
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 9, 2017
I loved working with the professional staff members here as they ensured that we understood our job duties. The hardest part of the job is making sure that you pay close attention to the order of the tests so that when the exams are completed, every test is accounted for.
Adequate
Membership Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 23, 2016
There is nothing spectacularly good or bad about the State Bar. It feels very corporate, unsurprisingly for what it is. I don't have any complaints, but it wasn't anything special. It's a perfectly fine place to go in a do your job and leave.
Pros
The pay is okay.
Cons
Everything is mediocre.
The State Bar of California - State Government Regulatory Agency
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 12, 2016
The benefits are comprehensive at the Bar; health, dental along with a pension. There's also the 457 Plan that operates like an IRA. One has join the SEIU to work there, it's mandatory.
The mission of the Bar is to regulate and discipline attorneys, the culture is like none I had experienced. The politics are complicated, there is lots of policy to understand and implement. It constantly changes in each and every department, depending on the Board of Trustees and the California State Legislature.
There's not much opportunity, if you're good at your job they will keep you there; lateral movement is a possibility but vertical is limited. Managers stay at their jobs, they don't move around much.
For someone getting their feet wet in a professional government agency the Bar is a good place to start, you'll learn and obtain professional skills. You'll also be exposed to a wide variety of situations inside and outside the Bar.
The job is very nice as it provides me with a sense of purpose. It also enable me to multi-task and perform several job duties at the same time.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2015
I enjoy working for the State Bar as I work with a very nice group of individuals who make coming to work pleasant. I also enjoy the fast-paced environment as it keeps me moving throughout day. The benefits are also very helpful in providing for my family.
Pros
Great Benefits/ Healthcare/ Holidays/ Friendly Staff
Cons
Not much room for growth within the company.
Nice environment
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2015
It's an okay job. Nothing major. I was not challenged enough for this job. Co-workers were great. I loved being able to work on cases with my boss whenever the opportunity arise, but didn't happen too often.
Pros
Nice computer equipment when they upgrated
Cons
politics
This Place Was Dope
Printer Technician (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoMay 9, 2015
*Show up at 9, print out jobs for people; copies, books, booklets ect
*I learned how to work a large scale printer, print, bind, staple books
*I know the manager, nice lady, so i had an "in" with the boss
*Witty, knowledgeable, and funny #nocomplaints
*consistently binding booklets, repetitive process
*I had free time to print out, staple, bind and customize my own Adventure Journal, which i now use to log all my explorations to the woods
Pros
Allowed me to express my creativity. Great location, friendly environment
Cons
Bart...
Very professional Company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 21, 2015
Worked in a professional atmosphere and enjoyed working with their client-tel. Greeting over 50 clients on an average day. Great company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 12, 2014
It was not a good company for me. It did not work out, was not the right fit.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great company to work for.
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2014
Outside training provided for new hires. Great staff! Professional staff and exellent benefits.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Friendly Environment
Moral Character Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 17, 2013
Nice place to work, but if you are a young professional growth can by stymied due to the number of tenured employees who are fearful of retirement due to lack of medical coverage.
Pros
several vacation day, benefit package and compensation
Cons
no growth
All Attorneys Should Work Here First!
Certification Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 12, 2013
The state regulates the legal profession. The State Bar of California has staff that are members of SEIU. Compared to other workplaces; the State Bar of CA; did not have the latest equipment in order to do their jobs properly. The management is promoted due to tenure, NOT because they actually understand how to manage their departments.
Pros
I initiated a case database for the Certification Department.
Cons
Database isn't needed! Was "busy work" assignment.
Productive, fun, conservative environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los angeles, CAJune 27, 2013
This job was given to me by a temp. agency and I really enjoyed working there.