The State Bar of California

The State Bar of California Employee Reviews

The State Bar is a good place to work because your coworkers are amazing and the work you are doing is important. It can be very stressful, however, because the workload is constantly increasing because of managements tone-deaf approach to employee retention.
Awesome place to work. The was best company I have ever worked for. I have no complaints about working at the State Bar; it offered the best atmosphere and accommodations for employees.
Pros
Excellent work schedule
Cons
As an investigator, you spend your days doing a lot of bureaucratic paperwork and arguing with unhappy people on the phone. Management has no communication skills and doesn't value their employees. Investigators have an unreasonable caseload of about 80 cases at one time. The work environment could be much better if it weren't for the low morale caused by constant changes and distrust of employees of their supervisors. There is knowledge of people throwing others under the bus.
Very little training and low tolerance for mistakes while learning. The people are nice but the organization has inadequate training, a poorly developed computer system, and an intolerance to mistakes while learning.
I was an investigator in the OCTC. The idea IS NOT to investigate attorney misconduct but to draft memo after memo in an effort to make it look as if there had actually been an investigation. Nor is it designed to discipline attorneys. Last year, out of 15,000 complaints made to the State Bar, only 25 got to an actual hearing. WTF! As far as management goes, WHAT MANAGEMENT? The term slave drivers is more appropriate. I don't know what it's like to work in other areas of the State Bar but OCTC is for all intents a purposes a fraudulent enterprise. OCTC is horrible place to work for an honest person. Finally, as far as attorney positions it's a great place to work if you don't want to practice law. On any given day half the attorney offices are empty.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
A typical day at the State Bar involved organizing files that were a complete mess. I loved putting files in complete order for all attorneys to review. I also loved working with attorneys who appreciated the fact that I was a paralegal in a previous life, but I was now a Coordinator of Records, and I could do a multitude of other duties. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to accomplish a difficult task. The work culture was pleasurable. I learned a lot at the State Bar.
I've worked for the Bar Association 3 times now and I liked working there. I will warn people who can't sit for long amounts of times in silence. The only thing that's a challenge about the job is having to sit in silence for at least two and a half hours with no reading or looking at your phone or anything else. You have to just sit there while the people take their test.
The State bar of California is a nice place to work. Employees are friendly. Management is understanding and accommodating. Show up everyday to work and you should have no problems.
I was a temp employee and my overall experience was great. Supervisors were kind a care about their employees grow. Compensation is competitive and benefits are amazing.
There were too many changes in management when I was there. This made the atmosphere in general feel unstable. All the union meetings and involvement did not help. The staff is great; always ready to help each other out. One problem was that the secretaries, who are already assigned to 5-6 attorneys, would have to work for other attorneys when there was a vacancy or another secretary was out. The Bar sometimes took months to fill a vacancy, leaving the secretaries overwhelmed with work. This put a strain on everyone.
Good Job. Steady Benefits . The Public treats you unfairly but you learn to have an emotional intelligence when approaching stressed out people. Teaches Office Admin work and patience.
I worked there through an internship and it was so boring in there. I mean maybe it was the department I was in but it was so boring and quiet even though the people are extremely nice to you in there and such sweethearts it's just so boring and quiet.
I had a great supervisor. He was fair and knowledgeable. I want to work for this company permanently. I will always check this company 's website if their is anything related to my career field. This is the company I want to work for.
Pros
Supervisor was great to work for
Cons
Co workers whining too much they don't know how good they have it
Stationed in a work station with a PC analyzing cases/complaints to determine if charges will be filed in the State Bar Court. Some field work involved, but not much.
This used to be a great place to work at but new management gradually changed that and has become extremely petty, has no interest in employee well-being and only cares about their political advancement by cutting out every benefit. Staff has triple the work it can complete competently but is always pushed to do more and faster. Reviews are always geared towards what employees do wrong and never towards promoting their skills. Managers in place are not trustworthy and consistently try to “write up” staff. There is an incredible amount of turnover due to this. I would not recommend working here as an attorney or investigator.
Cons
Micromanagement, low morale, unrewarding
My time at the State Bar of California was very enjoyable. Everyone was a team player and helped to reach department goals. I would suggest that anyone offered a position at the state bar, take it.
it is ok to work there but it can stressful at times. the people are great with some exceptions. the culture is now overwork people with a high degree of stress
If you enjoy working in a cube farm, this is the place for you. Senior staff treated new hires like idiots. Everyone listens to your phone calls. Horrible management.
There is an extraordinary amount of supervision and internal memo writing for management to cover its posterior, apparently. Bench trials are few and far between as the system is designed to encourage settlements with the respondent attorney.
The State Bar is full of wonderful people, but there is not much structure and things get done very slowly. Management works closely with everyone. Not much room for advancement either.
Good experience, waa a able to help out with a lot if different things that are inoortant within the legal profession. I liked this jib alot thanks for it
Good