The Stepping Stones Group Employee Reviews

Highly Recommended!!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJanuary 10, 2019
I love to travel, so working as a Special Ed Teacher for The Stepping Stones Group is perfect for me! They will find me a job in almost any state, pay for my transition, housing, gas mileage, fingerprinting and the interviewing process is easy and professional. The hours are great, I get over-time, if I want to work over-time. The Team checks on me to make sure all is well, and there are plenty of workshops on line, if I choose or need them. If you need extra help, someone will come to the school. I get plenty of support when needed, and can call any time I have a question. As a teacher, we hate having to do extra duty, well there is no extra duty! The pay is much better, and you can always negotiate! I highly recommend The Stepping Stones Group, I have been with the company for a year now!
Pros
Better pay, support, will find you a job, always checking in on me to make sure all is well.
Recruiter was always helpful
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CAJanuary 10, 2019
This was my first time working for an agency rather than the school district directly. My recruiter was amazing and always kept contact. Even when I had questions that seemed pretty irrelevant to him, he was always willing to help. I thought he might fall off the face of the earth once I took the position, but we talk almost every week. The company has nice little perks too like little gifts they mail you and a little stipend to spend on health and wellness. The bummer is getting paid hourly so your pay isn't distributed throughout the school year as it is when you're employed by the district (ex: pay for December was very minimal since school was out of session). It was a weird transition for me to go from salary to hourly, as well as monthly to biweekly. I haven't worked with my supervisor much but that's fine. I don't have any questions for her. The hiring process was a little bumpy because the district and the agency went back and forth with communication but I didn't always know what was going on, but that could have been unique to my situation. Overall, fun to work for them - Mostly because my recruiter is great and we keep in touch. In terms of the actual job, it's site-specific like any other school position.
Supportive company
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDJanuary 10, 2019
The Stepping Stones Group is extremely supportive and help with anything I need. I have reached out to my recruiter, and others in HR and have received feedback so quickly! This company made my 4.5 hour move as stress free as possible with their support and stipend packages. They also provide monthly CEU courses. I genuinely enjoy being a part of this company!
Avoid this company
SLP (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJanuary 9, 2019
- Recruiters are money hungry an are not there to help, only to make money off you. They force you a lot.
- Not even located in California, where I work (Colorado?)
- Very poor communication, no one responds to emails
- No paid vacations. They don't even pay during Christmas break or any holidays.
- No one to help for IEP advice or issues on school site
- Low raises (I received a 20 cent raise I worked 2 years here)
- I've worked with bad staffing companies in the past and this one was the worse.
- The best decision I have made in my career is finding another company
Pros
You tell me
Cons
Working for this company
No training
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 6, 2018
Your "interview" is them selling you the company. You WILL be hired - so that's a pro. The pay and benefits sound so great especially since you are working in a school with school hours. However, once you've signed your contract - you won't hear from them again unless they need something from you. I received no information about my placement, how to use the online hour clocking system, or just about anything you would need to know. I've had to figure it out by myself. They were extremely helpful in the beginning - calling me every day to make sure I was getting licensure and placement figured out. Once I signed on the dotted line and actually started working, I had a VERY difficult time getting ahold of anyone for questions. Paid days off is horrible - you get 5. No holidays or snow days are paid. I will not be resigning once my contract is up. However, you do have A LOT of independence (sometimes too much) - so you can't beat that. I arrive and leave when I please and I don't have to go to school staff meetings or professional development. But overall, I feel isolated and not a part of a team.
January 15, 2019

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We have several teams that work diligently to ensure consistent communication is provided throughout the hiring and employment experience and strive to ensure that our employees feel supported throughout their tenure with our company. We are sorry to hear that this has not been your experience. Please reach out to Human Resources team at 866-600-7598 to discuss further.

Re-doing my review, my old review was not approve
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CANovember 9, 2018
I gave a bad review on Indeed for this company, and it was not approved so I am re-doing it.

I will make it simple to understand. I interview for this company in the past. I was offered the position and turned it down because they do not pay well, but for another big reason. Mainly it was the the man who I interviewed with that made me decide this company is no good. I had phone interview with one of the managers for special education. I cannot say name but he was older white man, and I know this because my friend work here in the past. I was coming from another state to California. English is my second language so I do have an accent.

This man made feel very sad and unintelligent when he spoke to me on phone for my interview. He thought he put me on mute but I can hear him insult me to one of his colleague. I was very shocked and speechless. The words he said I still remember today.

Later that day, they offer me a position. I could not believe it. Even if they pay a lot, I did not feel good with the person I had a phone interview with. I mention his name last time, but now I will not.

Please do not join this company if you have an accent. I really feel prejudice and I did not feel welcome. The best thing I did for my career is go with another job.
Pros
Cons
They show they do not care about you as a person
Insane
SLPA (Former Employee) –  La Puente, CASeptember 26, 2018
I was a SLPA for them, assigned to 9 different schools. My hours were cut BEFORE I even started for the school district, from 8 to 7 hours per day. My agreed upon start date was DELAYED by over 3 weeks, which left me in a major financial crisis. My assignment was the worst! I got all the schools that the district employees didn’t want, so I literally drove to 2 different sites per day, juggling preschoolers with Highschoolers, and everything in between. All the Company ever did for me, was make money off of my stress. You better plan for school breaks, teacher work days etc. because those are not paid. The first year I was with them, I actually had a decent assignment, but I was quickly switched by the contracted school district, to the program that none of the district SLPAs wanted.. (Severe Aut and Severally Emotionally Disturbed students). The second year (the year with the 9 schools) the district switched me from 7 schools, to 9 within first few weeks.
Stepping Stones advertise a high hourly wage, but with the many days off for school vacations, my 3 week delay in agreed upon start date, the immediate cut in hours etc. I was ALWAYS struggling financially, and the assignments were brutal.
Pros
Hourly wage is high, but misleading
Cons
Worst assignments, cut hours and breaks, only 3 days allowed off per year for illness, personal etc.
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your comment. Our goal is for all employees to have a seamless experience however occasionally circumstances beyond our control occur. Although these situations are infrequent, we apologize that this was your experience. Our recruiters can assist with creating the best compensation package available for your individual needs. If you are interested in more information, please call us at 866-600-7598.

Don't be Fooled
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 19, 2018
Stepping Stones seemed too good to be true...until I found out it was. Initially, I was impressed with CEU/licensure/health and wellness reimbursement amount. It wasn't until it was too late that I found hourly Pay Rates are much lower ($7-10+ less) compared to other contract companies in my area. The paid days off (3?!) is NOT enough for an entire school year. And the company's resistance/refusal to negotiate incentives says a lot about their culture. Sure, it's nice having a company representative to call and touch base on a monthly basis or having a SLP lead in my school district to "check in" but these things aren't necessary or even relevant to me. At the end of the day, I am the one who does the work for the schools. Stepping Stones is making money off of me. They are pocketing more money for themselves rather than payingb me. Bottom line: work as a SLP is hard and Stepping Stones isn't paying us what we are worth!
Pros
Lead SLP, liason
Cons
Low pay rate!!! Few paid days off, No control over school assignment, Unwilling to negotiate
October 17, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and review. The Stepping Stones Group’s mission is to positively impact the lives of children and the communities we serve. We are able to do so with the employment of educators and clinicians like yourself. The Stepping Stones Group works to offer not only a competitive salary but rather a total compensation package. Our recruiters can assist with creating the best compensation package available for your individual needs.

Do not think they will have your back.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 14, 2018
I did not feel like this company has supported me at all. I was just a cog in the wheel and a way for them to make money. I was not human to them. My manager was very condescending and nasty when I really needed her to support me.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Everything else
October 17, 2018

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. We aim to have several facets of support available for our employees including client recruiters, clinical managers and our human resources team. A clinical manager is assigned to each employee with the intent to provide support to our clinical team members. We would love to hear more about your experience so that we may improve the employee experience. Please call us at 866-600-7598 to discuss further.

nice place to work
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 9, 2018
nice HR dept but no job growth and no salary increases related to cost of living. Lots of freedom but benefits are mediocre in comparison with the local tech jobs.
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your experience with our Human Resources Department was a good one. The Stepping Stones Group works to offer not only a competitive salary but rather a total compensation package. Our recruiters can assist with creating the best compensation package available for your individual needs.

Waste of time, headhunters
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2018
I worked as a special education teacher in the Bay Area with this company for 2 1/2 years. They were good in the beginning. The recruiters were nice. The benefits/pay was nice. That is until I began working longer period of time. My old company was also bought out, so there was new management called Stepping Stones. No explanations given to employees. I had some problems with my district. I needed a better laptop (which they never helped me with), and having some trouble with one of the supervisors at my job site. I tried to get help from my recruiter, so he directed me to the sped manager for company. The person I was talking to was very condescending, unhelpful and the rudest. This man was the field manager for my area. He said he worked at schools for 30 years and offered no help. I have an accent, and this man was not willing to listen to what I was saying, even though I have been a US citizen for over 10 year. There is nothing special about this company that you can not find somewhere else. They make everything look and sound pretty with colorful language but it's basic company. I left company and I make more now as a direct hire. I am not giving a portion of my paychecks to a company that sees employees as dollar signs. I rather avoid this company. They give no vacation days. The pay is lower than other companies, and even direct working with the district.
Pros
Cons
Bad managers, head hunters
October 17, 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback. Our company mission, vision, and values have not changed during our transition to operating under a single business name. As a nationalized company, we aim to provide as much support to our employees working in the field as we can by ensuring each employee has clinical support. Additionally, our Human Resources team is here to help with any concerns. At The Stepping Stones Group, we value diversity and appreciate you sharing your experience. The Stepping Stones Group works to offer not only a competitive salary but rather a total compensation package. Our recruiters can assist with creating the best compensation package available for your individual needs.

Love my job
SLPA (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAMarch 1, 2018
The communication with these guys is spot on. I’ve heard negative things about other contacting companies but have never had a problem with Stepping Stones. I’ve never had a problem with my pay either. My pay is always on time and accurate. The recruiters really take the time to know you. Fed a recommend
Pros
Lots of reimbursements
Cons
Unpaid holidays
Great therapy contract company!
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 25, 2017
SOS has been a great company to work for. I had not worked as a contractor previously and have always been skeptical of staffing agencies - they often use obnoxious recruiting tactics, and I've heard nightmare stories from other companies. Honestly SOS wasn't even on my radar when I got their email, which was personal (did not feel like a robot generated it like so many others) and tailored to my actual interest/geographic areas. That email was a good sign, and I haven't been disappointed in my decision to sign with them - I'd told myself I'd try it for one year and now I'm going on 4 with them.

SOS helped place me in a job that has suited me perfectly, and are always supportive of my needs. All staff is highly responsive and they make everything easy, from renewing licensure to completing supervision paperwork. They are also very supportive and friendly, so I feel like a part of the team... It doesn't feel like they are across the country from me. All company processes (e.g. weekly timecards, insurance enrollment, etc) are very easy which is great, so I can focus on my actual job. The benefits are very competitive, if not better than most, and I was even granted a small raise after a couple years which is nice. Other than that, there is not much room for advancement as far as I know, but I wouldn't expect that in this type of job.

The first year I worked for SOS, I was a travel employee and the apartment placement was great. It's in a very nice area (not near my school which I would not have wanted to be placed close to) and was an easy process. The only downside was
  more... that it is an expensive place, so when I decided to stay rather than travel it was a financial hit (high rent plus paying losing tax-free status of that money) - however SOS converted that into direct payment so I didn't really lose out. Just something to consider, it's best to keep traveling.

I've only been placed in the one position so it may be that I just got lucky with my district and position, but it was the perfect match for me and I've been very happy working for SOS.
Pros
Supportive staff, good benefits, competitive pay
Cons
Restrictive time off policy (not allowed to extend long weekends or breaks)
Worked for SOS for 5 years
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Illinois, CaliforniaJuly 12, 2017
SOS was my first employer as a licensed occupational therapist. They were helpful, fair, and supportive. My manager was always available any time of day to assist with any concerns that I might have. As a new therapist, they provided me with mentors to ensure that grew as a therapist while working with SOS. I am grateful for my time there.
Pros
Compensated mileage, licensure assistance
Cons
Reduced perks that I had gotten used to / spoiled with
Great locations to choose from
Director Marketing (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2017
Great locations in many school districts. Benefit packages, mentoring options, travel options - this is great if your new grad and wanted to discover the country!
Pros
Travel Options
Contract assignment with great support.
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chester, PAOctober 24, 2016
I have had a great experience working with Cumberland Therapy. I have always wanted to work in a school system, but was intimidated due to limited experience in this setting, and knowing that I would be the only physical therapist at the school. All of my questions and concerns were addressed, and I was provided with a mentor during my first school year.
Pros
Manageable caseload, great support, flexibility
Cons
long commute
MTC is a supportive company
MTC Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 20, 2016
Being a school based SLP is hard enough and if you don't have a company that supports you then it makes it a lot harder. MTC is definitely a company that shows support in the best way they can to hear your concerns.
Educational environment
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAOctober 20, 2016
I think this is a great place to work because the company is always trying to keep us updated on laws and inform us on what is happening in the school environment across the country. I look forward to learning and gaining knowledge in new areas. I also believe that because of our team meetings I am gaining knowledge about certain things that I have not yet encountered.
Pros
team meetings, happy hours
Cons
too many schools
Good company
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Algonquin, ILOctober 19, 2016
A typical day goes by really fast at school. I love working with the kids K-grade 2. They are lots of fun to be with. I really like my co-workers at the school. Everyone is super nice and that is always a plus for working with a company and definitely helps your day go by a whole lot better. It definitely matters how you work as a team with your co-workers. The hardest part of my job is that I take a lot of my work home with me to do catch-up work, as I am not yet used to doing it.
Pros
large school, large motor room/space
Cons
health insurance company, no color printer to use to elaborate information
Awesome for newly graduates!
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2016
Cumberland Therapy is a great place to work for contract positions. Their team provides quick and efficient support to their clients. If you're looking to relocate, they offer an impressive travel package. Great for recently graduated students who are looking to get started in their careers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Stepping Stones Group. Our community is ready to answer.