The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews

31.2K
Found 3,373 reviews matching the search See all 4,974 reviews
Featured review
The TJX Companies, Inc. selected this as a representative review
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with and mentoring my associates.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 25, 2018
I managed several low to mid-volume TJX locations over an 18 year period. Working as a Store Manager is very challenging work. One has to have the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once, all with the eye of simultaneously maximizing sales, pleasing your customer base, and pleasing your associates.
Pros
Upward mobility.
Cons
None.
Great place to work; anyone can climb the ladder!
SPARK INTERN (Loss Prevention) (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 18, 2018
Working for TJX is a blessing. They treat all associates with the utmost care and compassion. Every career has the opportunity for advancement. Advancement is not linear either, one can move between store operations and loss prevention (or vice versa), as well as corporate if desired! Managers in stores are all very pleasant, and happy to see loss prevention in the building.
Pros
Paid drive time to stores, Competitive Mileage, Competitive Salary, Associate Discount
Cons
Hours can vary greatly (Time of day)
Good company to work for financially strong
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 18, 2018
I had an excellent district manager but the store manager was a control freak wouldn't let you do anything that you were trained to do or that was in your job description she wanted you to ring on the register all day long
Good Place To Work
Cashier, Floor Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJuly 17, 2018
Overall not a bad place to work at my store in Burlington they at least treated me like a human I know some retail places don't. You can move up to a key holder from a cashier or floor associate after some time but I didn't stay long enough. you do get reviewed for raises every 6 months ish which is nice. Breaks are decent, pretty short. They are a little up tight with phone a long with most stores. Overall not a bad place to be.
Pros
Employees, Flexible Schedule, Frequent Raises
Cons
Short Breaks, Low Employee discount
stressful environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is giving great customer service, making sure every customer is highly satisfied and leave happy.
I've learned how to be more patient with customers and the associates and making sure they are dealt with in a respectful manner at all times.
Cons
Not compensated for overtime work as a manager
Productive and fun work place with a laid back work style.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GAJuly 14, 2018
Typical day would be coming in and stocking the floor in my department with the merchandise from the back. Making sure my section stay organized was the hardest part of the job. With the on going customers it was challenging to keep everything in order. Most enjoyable part of the job was the dress code, it gave you the freedom to express your dress style.
Pros
Dress code, Free lunches on ocassion.
Cons
Lack of hours, short breaks.
Watch your back
Loss Prevention Detective (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2018
The culture at tjx is extremely cutthroat and very few people who are loyal to coworkers. Everyone is always selling someone else out for personal gain. Expectations sound reasonable but are difficult to meet.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Long days and only average compensation
Productive place to wrk
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 11, 2018
I enjoy my coordinator role as management on front end. The team acts like family. Management sometimes provide lunch or snacks for us. The company allow you to be creat6.
Pros
Nonr
Cons
Not gettig your breaks
Not what it used to be
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 10, 2018
This used to be a great company to work for, however, at least within my district there is very high management turnover roughly every store within the district is down at least one manager and has been so and consistently increasing over the last 6-8months. The culture they preach is hardly in practice and when reaching out to HR it falls upon deaf ears or is swept under the rug.
The DM is out of their League and seems to be given more chances than should with such a poor track record leading to believe its based on gender and nationality. They “promote” promoting from within however it’s not practiced.
This was once a great company to work for but their growth seems to be pushing them away from the culture that made them great.
There is no work life balance 12 hours is a minimum work day and your days off are a joke because you receive constant text messages. Not to mention that the schedule once written is constantly changing making it impossible to plan a life.
If your young and starting out looking to make your bones and gain experience then give this company a try otherwise move on!
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
High turnover at every level, no work life balance, treated poorly by upper management.
Old Company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 9, 2018
The TJX Companies is not for the new generation, stuck in their ways of the past and very political. This is a very corporate culture that demands a lot, but will not reward often.
Easy part time job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 8, 2018
I work a full time job in the morning, in the evening I work in the fitting room at TJmaxx . I kept the fitting room neat and clean, I assisted the customers to the fitting room, return the clothes on the racks. The hardest part of the job is doing some else's work. The young teenagers just stand around talking to each other instead of working. At closing everyone has to help the lazy people clean their section of the store. Sometimes we don't get out on time because of this. Some of the managers had favorite people they let get away with anything. This behavior has cause conflict between other employees. What I like about the job is that I got paid every week.
Pros
you get a weekly check
Cons
working with lazy teenagers who don't want to work
Great Company
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Marlboro, MAJuly 8, 2018
There are lots of opportunities for growth. Many are willing to help, even if they are not in your department.. The culture is fantastic. They appear to care about others, of course unless it goes against the business goal.
Pros
WorkForce
Worst First Job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJuly 7, 2018
I haven't stepped foot in a TJ Maxx since I left so many years ago. The management didn't care about you or other employees- they just cared about money. I don't know how many times I was cussed out because I made a mistake on doing something I WASNT EVEN TRAINED FOR. They push the credit cards, but no one ever buys them. Then you get penalized because you aren't selling enough cards. And going back to the training, I had to train myself. No one showed me how to properly do it. They just pushed me to sell the cards. HELLOOOO it was the holiday season. No one wants to get the cards; they only want to get gifts! I was a temporary seasonal sales associate, but they never told me when my last day was. they told everyone else BUT me. I kept asking, but they kept giving me the go around until I wasn't being put on the schedule anymore. Once I found that out from a COWORKER, I never contacted them again and assumed that I was let go. The worst first job I had ever had. I refuse to support anything owned by TJX companies now.
Pros
Pay
Cons
poor management, poor training, money hungry, don't care, selfish
Excellent company
Buyer/Head Merchandise Planner (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 7, 2018
Excellent company, well managed, and plenty of room for advancement. Extensive travel depending on the position held. Well compensated and generous benefit package.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Cons
Extensive travel.
Fast paced
SALES ASSOCIATE TJMAXX (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 3, 2018
Great environment, but very busy. If you like doing multiple tasks and sometimes even more if your great under pressure, this is the job for you. Also very strict on wardrobe.
Its was hard strenuous.
Carousel (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 30, 2018
It was a good job it was good paying hours qerw vwry fixed which is good. Down sidd was the work i felt like a slave. But all the people i worked beside where very good people.
Can be great.. if not for PM
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MAJune 28, 2018
Some areas are much better than other areas. Before you jump in make sure you KNOW people in that area or ask around.
Management in some areas are not competent MANAGERS that do NOT belong in their significant roles. Very abusive if you let them be. Some need major retraining.
Other managers that do a good job are overshadowed by these idiots.
Pros
Good people are around the company; you just need to find them
Cons
poor managers want you to do more more more, then tell you that you arent doing enough when you do everything asked of you
Productive Fun Workplace
Front End Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 28, 2018
A typical day at work consists of me primarily being at the front of the store. I am normally a cashier as I often assist other cashiers in providing excellent customer service. It had its time of frustration when we have a line that is outside the Q-line, extremely long, and we do not have cashiers. I enjoyed going to work because at most times its a warm environment and with much tragedy in my blood family, going to work and being around my work family a different warmth.
Pros
Could be a very fun and productive work environment.
Cons
Attitudes and Behaviors
fun, great for first time job
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJune 28, 2018
This is a great job to work as a first time employee you learn the basics of customer service that you can take with you anywhere.it is also a great company that you can relocate with.
Best job I have ever had, I plan to never leave
Custumer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Robinson Township, PAJune 27, 2018
I got hired at 16 years old, I have been there for almost 3 years now and I love my job. I am a Customer Experience Coordinator, part time as I am still in school. I get paid much more than most people my age, and I love my work friends, my managers, and I have fun at work. The company pays well, and has extremely nice benefits if you are full-time, better than my parents' benefits, even.
Pros
Benefits, pay, accomodations, everything
Cons
Customers
Good Company
Merchandise Assistant (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 22, 2018
TJX is a great company to work for, they company really cares about it's employees. They encourage a strong work life/balance for all employees. The culture at TJX is very relationship before task focused.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The TJX Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

68out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at The TJX Companies, Inc..

Powered by Comparably