The TJX Companies, Inc. Employee Reviews

31.2K
Found 3,337 reviews matching the search See all 4,689 reviews
Featured review
The TJX Companies, Inc. selected this as a representative review
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with and mentoring my associates.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 25, 2018
I managed several low to mid-volume TJX locations over an 18 year period. Working as a Store Manager is very challenging work. One has to have the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once, all with the eye of simultaneously maximizing sales, pleasing your customer base, and pleasing your associates.
Pros
Upward mobility.
Cons
None.
Generally alright
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 8, 2018
Overall it was an okay job. They always began the day with a meeting which was nice and they went over the goals of the day. The best days were if everyone worked as a team to get things done. If one person wasn't on board it made a big difference. Luckily I got along with everyone.
I feel like they should allow employees to organize the store more often. I got in trouble taking too much time to make an area nice. I did notice when the areas are kept nice the customers will not make as much of a mess. I loved working with my co-workers and a couple of the managers.
Also, selling credit cards is the hardest thing especially when you're in a discount store.
Pros
Take care of you if you forget lunch. Great co-worker relations. Meet lots of people.
Cons
Always running around trying to fix things quickly, the pay isn't really worth the craziness
Great and competive environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 8, 2018
TJ Maxx is a great place to work. There are so many different opportunity for great pay and many hours. You have to always be on your feet if you work here, and it was a challenging but fun job overall.
Great people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vail, AZMay 8, 2018
I have learned a lot about myself and how to provide excellent customer service. I have taken way how to handle situation in a professional manner. Also how to fit the most I can on to a self.
Professional workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 7, 2018
It’s a nice place to work to get interact with different people. From time to time it’s stressful but it’s an okay job for someone willing to work part time.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Springfield, MAMay 7, 2018
Everyone at work is great. Coworkers are amazing, same with the managers. Tends to get busy as the day goes on, but everything gets done on time and in the order they need to be.
Great place to work!
Sales Associate and Cash Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMay 7, 2018
Great company to work for! Great pay, and flexible schedules! Working as a team makes work more enjoyable and it’s fun to learn off of each other. The TJX company knows how to treat their employees!
Pros
Discounts and fun environment to work.
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COMay 6, 2018
Most days were great, some bad days but most good. lots of independence, and nice people. management is ok, were very helpful in being flexible with schedules.
Pros
discounted stuff
nice job for students
Retail Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, WIMay 6, 2018
It was a nice job when I was first starting college but after a while I realized it was not for me. Employees are constantly nagged about getting customers to apply for the credit card and most customers do not want it or already have one. Another thing is no one has a job title but they will work you constantly in the same area, so the job is the same every day. Its nice that you can cash your check at the registers though.
Pros
break room meals occasionally, coworkers, pay
Cons
favoritism, credit card
Good first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILMay 6, 2018
It was a great first job when i was 16 and only needed a little spending money. Once I graduated high school and was able to work more hours and had been with the company for two years, I was still lumped in with the high school kids that had just started and i was not taken seriously,
Not what it use to be
Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriMay 4, 2018
Company culture not consistent at all levels. Why is tis required? How much more do I need to include? More and more required with less. Get back to the basics again.

Want to know more about The TJX Companies, Inc.?

Ask a question
A good temp or side job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 3, 2018
Management and staff were nice, training was 101 then very hit-the-ground running, hired too many employees so most of us were lucky to get two 4 or 5 hour shifts a week, had to sell rewards cards which got intense when we were falling behind on quotas making work a little uncomfortable. Recently stopped at a Marshalls (which is a sister store of T.J Maxx under TJX) where the cashier told me that if she didn’t sell at least one TJX Rewards card every 100 transactions she’d get called into the managers office which seems ridiculous to me considering how small the town is and the spring and summer breakers aren’t even here yet.
Pros
10%-20% discount, mandatory 15 min break for 4 hour shifts and 45 min lunch for shifts greater than 6 hours in Arizona
Cons
Not enough hours, not benefits for part-time employees
Extremely competitive internally
Allocation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 3, 2018
Very competitive between employees within the company. Management sees "leadership" as the loudest voice in the room. Very fast paced, sink or swim mentality. If you're not an extremely outgoing person, it will be a very hard place to be successful. Even if your responsibilities are being met, if you are not constantly building relationships and "partnering" with management, you will be passed over for promotions. The Planning and Allocation department mostly hires directly out of college and promotes employees to manager long before they are ready to manage a team of people. If you're joining TJX with prior work experience, the "culture," which they are so proud of, is extremely difficult to acclimate to. Be ready for a lot of whispering and talking behind people's backs. You will also be transferred to other departments without any say or any warning and the only explanation will be "company needs." You could easily go from a good situation to a bad one without being able to prevent it.
Good for students and part time workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 3, 2018
They work well with your schedule and can transfer you if you live in multiple places during the year. I am a college student and move home during the summer, and they were more than accommodating for my needs. The job can be very stressful if you let it be. The pay is ok, but for longer-term workers isn't as good as it should be. They start over minimum wage which is definitely a good thing, but with how stressful being a sales associate is I'd say they definitely should give higher raises for loyal employees. The credit card promotion can get a bit annoying, but you can't blame the managers for doing their jobs.
Pros
good schedule, good with transfers
Cons
High stress, puts too much pressure on promoting the credit card, and not enough compensation for credit card promotion
Intern
Planning and Allocation Intern (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAMay 3, 2018
Internship program is well structured with opportunity to meet executives and work on your own merchandising project, which will be presented to VPs at the end of the internship.
cool
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
its a flexable job they work with your rs if you go to schhool or have another job they will work around tht which is great but you must work due to its non stop busy.
Great culture and enviorment
End User Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAMay 3, 2018
Environment is one which will promote team working. Casual work place makes working very comfortable. Advancement is promoted usually from within so great opportunities to grow.
Pros
On site Gym
Simple and fun enviorment
Stock Clerk/Inventory (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMay 2, 2018
Great place to build job experience as a first-time job. The environment is great and simple, the people are sometimes rude but overall I enjoyed working here.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJMay 2, 2018
A typical day at TJX consisted of stocking the store, maintaining a clean and stable environment, assist customers with check out, and assisting in intake orders in the back room.
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 2, 2018
Everyone working here is very nice and very knowledgeable. Management was behind the work being done on the project, and gave it a lot of support. I recommend working here.
Good pay, poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMay 1, 2018
The only good thing about this job is the pay. Extremely poor management that isn't understanding at all. I tried accommodating my work hours with them so that I could stay in school and work, but they weren't willing to compromise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The TJX Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss