The Tennessean Employee Reviews

mail sort
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 20, 2018
i didnt know what i was doing, they just put me in a spot and i feed the papers in the machine. i got a red light almost everytime.got to meet some cool people.
I was a machine feeder and I also stack pallets.
Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 20, 2018
My daily job duties where to cut straps off the newspapers and insert the machine feeders with magazines and daily ads for The Tennessean newsletter. I also had to stack pallets with the daily Tennessean newspapers
Fun and rewarding experience
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 13, 2018
Working for the Tennessean was a great experience. It is not an easy job but if you like a challenge you got it. I would work there again if offered
Productive & fun work place
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 17, 2018
The Tennessean has a great work environment. It's really fun, they give you incentives to make the job more enjoyable. They usually hire people that get along great together.
Still stuck in the pass
Regional Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 7, 2018
Terminating employers often due to print ended soon. Slow to catch up with technology today and the advancement of online. A lot of work and not a lot of pay
Good teammates, but other drawbacks
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 17, 2017
There's a great team atmosphere, and helpful and respectful leadership, but continual and annual reductions in force foster a difficult environment at times.
easy job
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 16, 2017
This is an easy job good for gaining experience a lot of hours and a cool environment and a steady work paced and good benefits its a good job to work
Declining newspaper industry
Press Mechanic/Maintenance of Goss Colorliner (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37203November 5, 2017
Decent place to work aside from layoffs, impending closures and management keeping mum on future plans. No communication even though it’s rhetoric in their policies.

If you’re looking for a career, look elsewhere. If you’re looking to use this company as a stepping stone for something better, then this is the place for you. Don’t invest too much in planning your future here.

People are great, management are decent. Good work environment. Decent pay.
Pros
Decent pay, decent benefits, awesome location.
Cons
Impending layoffs and eventually shutdown
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 26, 2017
HAd fun friendly atomosphere. Staff was great to work with as well. Work day started at 9am And ended bout 2 for me. Loved everything about that job except for angry customers. Learned to adjust to all sorts of customers and enjoyed speaking to most.
Pros
Staff snd communicating with people
Cons
lunch break not long enough
Fun work place . Love the customers.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNJune 7, 2017
On a typical work day the day went very well I learned how to count and keep up with money the most enjoyable part of the day was getting to see and talk to all the customers and to seek what they was needing
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Don't pay enough.
Great company
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 12, 2017
Excellent experience for entry level on the phones. Training was perfect as well as management. It was a friendly environment love it there. .........
Productive and excellent work environment
Advertising Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 28, 2017
This Tennessean was the largest newspaper in Nashville and I was put in charge of starting The Tennessean Advertising Academy and facilitated all classes regarding advertising. My husband had to relocate for his job so I was unable to stay in this position.
Everchanging workplace in a troubled industry
Copy clerk, news assistant and obituary writer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 20, 2017
This job was a valuable foot in the door to the newsroom. It was answering phones, delivering messages, and gopher work that built professional relationships and developed skills.
The hardest part of the job is being where anyone in the newsroom needs you ready to respond and not react to intense creative drives.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the professionals we have come to trust to bring us the news.
Pros
Media access and writing opportunities
Cons
Part-time only with no benefits
productive and nice place to work
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 26, 2016
customer service people oriented friendly staff flex hours
easy learning . my favorite part of the job was working with staff the hardest part is lifting heavy equipment alone.
Friendly people
Zone Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2016
I enjoyed my short career at The Tennessean. The 3rd shift hours were something that did not agree with our family and as a result we decided to take my career in a different direction.
Pros
Terrific Management
Cons
work/life balance
Enjoyed cooking
Cook (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 5, 2015
Love meeting new people love cooking and enjoyed working there. Management was not very organized. Just not very organized.
Pros
Love my job
Cons
Unorganize
Making the newspaper.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 29, 2015
A typical day at work, would be mostly be on a machine taking the necessary steps to process a newspaper. Then load them up to be shipped. We would also have to clean. We stood majority of the shift.
Pros
A great palce to begin warehouse work
Cons
Standing for a long periods of time.
Typical Work Day
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 16, 2015
Microsoft Excel reports, research, sales and marketing reports, customer service, along with a lot of other things make my work day up.

Management seem to care about your issues at hand at work, but never seem to do anything about it. There hasn't been a raise for any workers there for over 5 years despite the upper management getting raises and bonuses all of the time.

The hardest part of the job is the negativity coming from most everyone about Corporate as well as local management and the lack of interest they take in their employees.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to and deal with the public daily.
Pros
Diversity of customers, weekends off
Cons
Healthcare, Upper Management, HR Dept.
Eh
Mail Room Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 13, 2015
This job was not my cup of tea. THe hours were not many at all.... and the supervisors were not helpful at all.......but there was one that tried but that was it. But I did enjoy the gym that was there...
Pros
gym
Cons
supervisors
productive
Machine Operater (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 12, 2015
I would recommend this job to anyone it was a great learning experience and the people were more of an family