The Tile Shop Employee Reviews

Hated It
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIAugust 15, 2018
The work ethic of most people at this facility is to be extremely cutthroat. You work strictly on commission and everyone would go behind other salespeople's backs and steal sales and commission.
The tile shop
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Countryside, ILAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed my position. Selling floor and wall tile. Creating rooms for clients. Measuring, making sure I listened to the client and their needs. Knowing my product well.
The position became to physical.
Pros
Accomplishing the sale
Cons
Cut throght business
High pressure sales (commission based)
SALES/DESIGN CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 10, 2018
This job requires heavy lifting, and closing sales. If you aren't driven to sell, sell, sell this isn't the job for you. There is a good deal of opportunity for growth, and the benefits are good, but you won't last if you don't sell.
Good
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2018
tile shop was the best career I've had. I look forward to one day being back or be in high competition with them. A great company overall. The manager in Omaha was not my favorite very judgmental of my situation. Offered zero solution.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work life balance
I had a great manager and was treated well,
Sales Associate and Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILAugust 9, 2018
Reviews of performance about every 10 days. GREAT MANAGER. Ongoing on-line education. Pretty good team environment at my location. I can't say if other locations are the same. Hardest part, making goals even with lack of customers.
Pros
If Creative = Good $
Cons
If not aggressive, this isn't for you
Alright if You Like to Remain Stagnant
DESIGN CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
The Tile Shop offers you the ability to advance if you are a great salesman.This doesn't seem like too much to ask for, however in an unstable economy that is the tile business, a slow month can leave you with paychecks under a thousand dollars for 90 hours of hard work. For someone like me, with a creative background and college education, it is somewhat stimulating to be able to help customers design rooms but dissatisfying if you actually planned on utilizing your paid for skills you earned in college. Ultimately, you are a salesman, and if you want to make real money or feel like you've done something worthwhile, I wouldn't work here.
Pros
breaks
Cons
retail hours, expected to work on days off, low pay
Very Stressful and Cut Throat. Professionalism poor.
Sales-Design Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 7, 2018
Training is horrible. You are thrown in and hopefully you survive. You have to be a very strong individual. Workplace culture is cut throat. Manager has favorites. In house fighting is weekly to say the least. Enjoyable is the customers and products. Enjoyed Selling.
I will never work for any company like this AGAIN
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 25, 2018
As Warehouse Manager you are under paid and over worked. They refuse to give overtime but want everything done in one day. As a Warehouse Manager they expect you to do everything and more and expect nothing from the sales staff. They promote employees from to fast to Store Managers and are not even remotely close to being ready for that. They under train you as a WM and expect you to learn everything in one training day.
not good company
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 25, 2018
a typical day of work would be stressful & just a lot of problems. i felt like the company didnt know what to do when it came to sales. no one was educated enough to do big numbers.
Friendly and safe environment to work in
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 15, 2018
the good thing about serving here is you get to be the final guy to interact with the customer, explaining in detail questions about a given product and how it can be complimented with other products. You get to remove doubt and clear any concerns of customers.

What i like most here, is that i have grown my customer service scope and learned allot that i never knew before
Pros
job recognition
Sales Consultant in Design sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXJune 25, 2018
Met with customers and helped in their bathroom and kitchen tiles selections. On occasion, I met the customer at their home and gave my professional opinion on what design and tile to use.
Pros
close to home
Cons
hours were too long
Love Tile
Sales/Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78230June 23, 2018
Sell, Sell, Tile and related installation products. Creative and exciting keeps you on your feet.Lifting bags of mastic, following up with customers, relying on tablets to perform sales.
Pros
Creative
Cons
Competition
Good
Design/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 20, 2018
This is a good place to work. I would recommend. The education offered is very good. As an employee you're able to make a lot of your own decisions. No real micromanaging.
review
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 19, 2018
I really learned a lot from The Tile Shop. It allowed me to basically run my own business. Being unable to relocate for a while, meant that it would be a very long time until I would be able to advance further, which is why I decided to look into other opportunities
prodcutive
Salesman/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJune 11, 2018
very good place to work, Wish i didnt have to leave. very friendly and encouraging environment. They will help you with anything you need very patient.
Benefits & Advancement
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJune 11, 2018
When I started at The Tile Shop I told the manager that I knew nothing about tile but that I was willing to put in the effort and to learn. My favorite thing that he said to me was "there's nothing you can do that we can't fit". For most of the staff though he is known for saying "if you don't turn your back on me I won't turn my back on you" and it's really amazing to see a manager role model and do the same things he asks you to do.

Something really notable about this company is that your first week there they give **extensive** training. So even if you go into your first day knowing nothing, by the end of the first week you have a lot of tools. I've seen a change in corporate to ensure that the staff is being supported. When I started, there was subsidy based pay and as a company in order to support the employees they've decided to move away from that in order to keep on good talent and encourage better quality associates.

I can say my own manager started with the company and was training and promoted to get his own brand new store in 18 months. The assistant manager when I started had been with the company for about a year and a half and 8 months later she was training and promoted to get her own store also. What's even better about that is that the company actually helps you with relocation costs!

I have worked at the same store for about a year and a half. Since starting I have seen lots of mobility and room for growth. I started knowing very little about tile and some knowledge about design but the showrooms are each packed with full size displays and there
  more... is training continuously available by managers and online via videos so you can see/hear it from different perspectives. (This is great for people who are hands on learners as well as visual learners).

The benefits are very exciting aswell. I've been contributing to my 401K since I was in high school- and what I like is that The Tile Shop not only contributes to your 401K but also to your HSA (health savings account). So that if you need to buy anything health related, your contributions are also being added to by your company.

I think the hardest part of the job is work-life balance. I think the biggest reason for that is because you essentially get the freedom and support to run your OWN business. I used to have a flip phone (even though I'm in my 20's) and upgraded to a smart phone so that I can keep connected with my customers. When you build that rapport and relationship with your customers you're invested in their project. When you work with pros consistently, you want to make sure you are accessible so that they know you're available to help them either now or scheduling an appointment. If you stay on top of emails and let your customers know your availability you're way less likely to be bothered on your days off.

Overall, I love the fact that I have growth and support in my job. I used to be paid hourly and always had to bring work home. Now I get paid for the time I put in. Having never worked commission- I can say that the company really does give you the tools to success. And there are a ton of benefits for customers so that the store essentially sells itself --6 month return policy no restocking fees, delivery options, quick lead time, own our own product, etc.

(I also love that the hours you put in builds up the time off you earn! Especially because my family lives far away so it gives me opportunities to go home to visit).

Great company to work for, if you listen and stay organized with your customers you have the tools to succeed. Glad that they updated their policies over the years to get to this point!
Pros
hour lunches, discount tile purchase, employer contributes to 401K and HSA, growth within the company, extensive training
Cons
weekends are busy so if you take those days off you can lose out on some big sales
toxic work environment stay away
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Ottawa Lake, MIJune 11, 2018
terrible employees work here, and terrible management it was worth it for awhile to stick through it for going to school but the place became worse the longer you stay.
Not sure what to say
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Montgomeryville, PAJune 7, 2018
Nice company, nice people, good benefits.
Unless you are willing to relocate advancement is hard to come by.
Reviews on commission is pretty accurate. Lifting tile is not fun.
not so fun
Design and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 31, 2018
As I am looking to do actual designing work this this is not the place for me. Its not a bad job in tile sales. It offered good learning in tile space. Training are conducted from time to time.
Pros
training
Cons
few to none breaks, stressful work
The management was horrible and the worst thing was corporate didn't want to change it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 3, 2018
It's very cut-throat if the people that work there don't argue then you're out of there trust me. It's really unfair the judge you by your skin tone and your accent all that stupid stuff that really shouldn't be happening in 2018
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
Stressful af!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Tile Shop. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight