The Trust for Public Land Employee Reviews

Great mission and history, good new senior management
Staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 3, 2018
Great new CEO and leadership team is fixing problems that were 5+ years in the making. I have faith in where TPL will go and being really bold about the mission and results.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Rough patch of senior and financial leadership left org w/problems
Great people, management is a little too focused on their own well being
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  NationalSeptember 10, 2018
People here work hard, but often get caught up in the "meeting culture," making it difficult to get things done efficiently. The mission is great, but I think they focus too much on the literal meaning at the expense of good work that benefits people and makes the case for parks.
Pros
Great people and coworkers
Cons
Mismanagement at the top
Toxic work environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 24, 2018
The executive team created a toxic work environment and clear hierarchies amongst employees. Poor management and zero support for staff. Would not recommend working here.
Mission is great, but is behind the times
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 17, 2018
TPL has been around for over 40 years so unfortunately a lot of their processes, procedures and ways that they communicate are stuck in the past. Also because so many people have worked with them for 20+ years, if something does change, it's not quick to catch on because so many people have been doing it differently for so long. There's a lot of bureaucracy and hierarchy struggles with people taking it upon themselves to decide whether or not someone else within the organization "needs to know" something - there's not a whole lot of transparency. There's barely any office culture. Having said all of this, I can tell that there are a select few that are really trying to change things for the better - especially now with a new CEO, I think that there will be a lot of really great changes.
Best Job Ever
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2018
I've worked at a number of different locations, and I can say with all honesty that this was my favorite place of employment. I had to leave for personal reasons, but if I could I definitely would have been there for awhile.
Amazing opportunity
Art Admin Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2018
I absolutely enjoyed my internship with The Trust for Public Land. Everyone I worked with was helpful and encouraging. This was not your typical internship as a coffee runner. I was given amazing responsibilities and treated as a full-time employee. I became a liaison for a local park project as well as working with the city of Chicago for a larger park project.
Pros
excellent leadership, flexibility, respect
Cons
none, I absolutely loved my time spent here
Very interesting place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2018
Learned a lot while working here. Company has a great vision and very family oriented. Typical day at work went according to what was going on in the business. Management here was ok. Workplace culture could use some improvement and diversity. The hardest part of my job was answering to so many different management styles. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning so much about the Land conservation.
Laid back and fairly friendly place to work. Management structure is changing hopefully for the better
Senior Administrative Assistant Marketing (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2018
While the overall culture is friendly and supportive, upper management is not structured in a way that provides support to the staff. However, the CEO and other senior positions are in transition so hopefully this organization will change in a positive manner.
Comfortable Environment
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CADecember 26, 2017
Through the Trust for Public Land I learned the nonprofit side of business, and how a simple dollar can have an impact on fundraising. Culture was very supportive of live/work balance. The most enjoyable part of the job was the collaborative efforts towards a common cause. Left work at the end of the week feeling like I had contributed to a greater cause.
Fun and important work
Marketing and Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2017
TPL was a wonderful place to work. The environment was fun, encouraging and supportive. The people were top notch. The work being accomplished was critical, but despite that element of understanding the serious nature of the job, it managed to retain a comfortable and warm environment.
Great mission, poor senior management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousOctober 20, 2016
It takes more than hope and good intent to effectively run an organization. More focus on core foundational strengths, less on unprofitable think tank ventures.
Pros
Mission
Cons
Very scattered ever changing strategic vision. Culture of desperation.
Fulfilling job because of the cause, but very unreliable career
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 12, 2016
As an environmentalist this is a great company, they do amazing work. That being said a lot of the positions were dependent upon yearly funding, which is not very secure.
Transfer of private property to public benefit
Attorney (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2015
Excellent. I loved working at TPL. I worked in-house for a year and 4 years pro bono while at Baker & McKenzie. I was the lead attorney to accomplish the transfer of 3500 acres along the Sonoma Coast to the State for public benefit.
Pros
Meaningful projects.
research experience, flexible, interactive, working for a good course
Independent Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2015
research experience, flexible, interactive, working for a good course
in places people care about.
they evaluate parks for upgrades and to create neighborhood park where Americans live.
the park evaluation will create a data that will make sure children have easy access to a safe place to play in nature.
Everyone needs to be able to live within walking distance of a park/greenspace
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2013
I worked for The Trust for Public Land for 4 1/2 years and it was an organization that believed every person should live within a 2 mile radius of a park/greenspace. I felt was a very profound and sensible cause. What I enjoyed most about this job was being the point of contact with vendors and contractors. I conducted all administrative and office managerial business for my office and staff. The staff truly relied on my expertise and professionalism.
Pros
my manager and staff were wonderful colleagues to work with
Cons
the recession affected the company and they had to close 13 offices and had layoffs
Great work environment in our immediate office. Open to creative process and supportive. Dog friendly.
Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 20, 2013
Loved this job because could be outdoors a lot. The work was awesome and very rewarding. Immediate management was great but home office was out of touch with locations outside of its locale. Too much micro-management from home office due to the fact that it was not making an effort to identify with other parts of the country and we were definitely not its priority. Determining who should stay and who should go during the lay-offs, which I fell victim to, was not researched nor executed very well. More productive workers were let go while underachievers were kept on and this was apparent and against well-known best business practices. Opportunity to move up was not really an option due to the fact that lesser producing employees were able to stay and languish in their positions although not meeting their job requirements. Nonetheless, I would work for this company again because I am very good at it and I enjoy it and that takes precedent over any negative issues.
Pros
no set daily routine; outside environment and able to travel to great natural locations.
Cons
limited financial resources; poor managment from home office.
Fantastic organization with a great mission.
Senior Legislative Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2012
Typical day invovles reaching our to member of Congress to convey organizations policy/appropriation objectives and working with project staff to develop competitive federal funding proposals. Relationship building is key to the success in this position. Best part of the job is creating new outdoor recreation opportunities for the public to enjoy and preserving our nation's most important places. Hardest part of the job is dealing with many factors that are beyond your control.
Pros
fast-paced work environment, but low stress
Cons
federal funding is difficult to come by
Conserves land for people and endangered species.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 27, 2011
Great place to work. Great visiting the project sites and learning new things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Trust for Public Land. Our community is ready to answer.

The Trust for Public Land Reviews by Location