The Union Democrat Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Zero training; all night busy looking busy; terrible management.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAJune 9, 2018
When the line isn't moving, expect to be busy trying to look busy for no good reason. When the line is moving, expect to be thrown on the worst pockets to learn on, with little to no training, and then have your job threatened if you don't keep up with the veteran employees. "Raises" are only when minimum wage increases, and pay isn't even always on time. I honestly don't know why anyone would work as a laborer here other than pure desperation.
Pros
Night hours are good if you're a night owl like me.
Cons
Everything else.
Used to be great; now a dying breed without proper management
In-Side Sales / Classified Ads (Current Employee) –  Sonora, CAJune 4, 2017
Good training ground for newcomers. It is a newspaper. You have to love what you do. You can't be in it for the money because there is very little money to go around. No management. I was grateful for the job as there was little else in town at the time. I was trained for a specific job but told there would be no raises. Any additional money earned was through my sales efforts, which I was given the opportunity to do on special occasions.
Pros
Some good people; strong public contact
great co-workers, great job
carrier (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CAMarch 24, 2014
Start the day waiting for the newspaper line to print out all the newspapers for the carriers, praying the line dosen't break down, then going out and delivering your papers to your customers.

The hardest part of the job is being on time when the news line breaks down and rolling your papers.

I enjoyed this job so much, I got to drive all day, one of my passions and I was and independent contractor. But the best part were my customers....great people.
Pros
driving
Cons
rolling papers, and being late due to the news line breaking down