The United Methodist Church Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Pastor in the United Methodist Church
Pastor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 5, 2018
If you are looking for a place to fill out your calling as a pastor the United Methodist Church will provide you with job security and good benefits.

It will also provide you with many congregations who have no desire other than to maintain a building and do no outreach or fulfill the great commission. So if you are looking for a challenge you will never find a dull moment here.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Very few work colleagues.
many interesting activities
Lead small groups and Bible studies (Former Employee) –  NYMarch 4, 2018
I pastored multiple churches in my 25 years of ministry. Each had its own particular struggles and challenges. There was no typical day as my activities covered a wide range.
Pros
guaranteed appointment
Cons
many hours per week, always on-call
Very fun and easy
Children's Worship Leader (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 13, 2018
Very easy- it is almost like babysitting.
The hardest part is if the other coworker does not show up and you're left with 10 kids to yourself.
I learned that the children love making their own crafts and love playing outside.
The con is that because it a wide range of different age groups it is a little hard to teach the class and make it fun and understandable for them.
General Ministry with longstanding Christian Tradition
Ordained Minister (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas NV, other locationsJanuary 11, 2018
Great opportunity to serve God and working with people in a variety of ministry settings, including Bible Studies, Worship, Meetings, Various Christian Ceremonies, and Hospital Visits.
Set your own pace and schedule
Senior Pastor (Clergy) (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 4, 2018
The day would start with a meeting with the secretary to determine the new situations which need attention.

Being able to determine the items of importance and attending to them in an orderly an dprompt manner.

Management did not interfere with one work unless there was a need
to contact yo0u about an issue.

A happy and cheerful experience, a pleasure to work and a quick response to your performance.

The hardest part of the job was being "up" all the time.

The feedback from other employees and members.
Pros
Freedom to accomplish workload.
rewarding work with low pay
Senior Pastor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 11, 2017
Every location is different making it difficult to review the denomination as a whole. There are lots of opportunities to serve the community in addition to the local church.
Pros
rewarding work in the community
Local Church Pastor
Executive Pastor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 12, 2017
Served for 13 years as pastor in rural, small town and urban churches. Provided organizational leadership in all areas including program development and management, worship service design and leadership, counseling, teaching, and community leader.
TUMC -- needs to be a force in a local community for good
Ordained Minister (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2017
Typical Day: Began by 7AM; meditation and prayer; visitation in hospitals, nursing homes, shut ins; met with Pastors' Study Group as scheduled. I learned over and over again that my gifts and graces were better suited in ABLC (appointments beyond the local church) and that I prefer to work with people who do not scream in order to manage their employees. The appointed church can be difficult, especially so, because you have been shoved onto the local church regardless of their wishes--many small, dying churches prefer to have older men lead them. The best thing about my job was doing the visitations, helping families find comfort while grieving, allowing/encouraging families to make the funeral the way they wished. Marriages and baptisms were rare as the youngest member of the congregation was 84.
Pros
Assisting grieving families; visitation of members and members' families
Cons
leading the church with vision and thelology
South Carolina Conference - Sr. Pastor (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMay 10, 2017
Preparing for sermons and bible study
Preparing vision for the church through committees
CEO
Could be challenging at best
Hardest part was trying to get everyone to agree
Preaching the gospel
Pros
flexibility
Cons
24/7 job
The greatest and most wonderful experience of my life
Senior Pastor Apulia United Methodist Church (Former Employee) –  Apulia Station, NYFebruary 28, 2015
This was the best most rewarding job that that I have ever had. The venue that I worked in required creativity, enthusiasm, people skills, and enabled me to use my talents in many different ways. My staff was wonderful. Because of their dedication and tremendous talent they made my job so much easier.
I worked most days out of my home where I kept my office. I usually worked on my message for the following week. I tried to keep my messages topical and where people could relate in their daily lives.
As the manager of the church, I was the final decision maker. I kept expenses down and kept the church in good financial shape.
My co-workers were limited, we had musicians, cleaning staff, my assistant pastor was my wife who is also a Methodist Pastor.
I think that the most difficult part of the job was dealing with people who were terminally ill. You always hate to lose someone that you have grown to love.
My greatest joy came when I performed weddings, baptizing babies, and meeting with new people. There is no down side to this vocation as far as I am concerned.
We were a small church that was in the process of growing when I retired.l
Pros
Working with great people and being my own boss.
Cons
There are no down sides.
Safe and friendly enviornment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 19, 2014
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. A typical day at work included processing communication between other departments on behalf of at and the direction of the boss; to include paper mail and email. Scheduling of office and speaking engagements to include making lodging and other USA travel arrangements and international travel arrangements. Reconciling travel expenses for reimbursement with the General Church. Filing to e-file system. I learned to keep up to date on all aspects of the job. The management is excellent but the boss was required to travel frequently so had know what I could handle and needed to be decided by the boss. My co-workers were great but depended heavily on my past work experience. The most challenging part of the job was getting one major task accomplished and then moving on to the next major task with little down time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a great boss and being appreciated on a regular basis.
Religious Organization
Senior HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNOctober 14, 2014
Religious Organization - Global

Project Management - coordination with IT, vendors/consultants, Executive team and Payroll on policy updates, system upgrades and implementation of new policies and procedures
Productive workplace and fun work place
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Southwestern CollegeJanuary 18, 2014
I tutored fellow undergraduate students in the following courses:
Organic chemistry 1 General Chemistry 1
Organic chemistry 2 General chemistry 2
Biochemistry Calculus
College Algebra Biology

I instructed and guided fellow undergraduate students in laboratory work in the following courses:
Organic Chemistry 1 General Chemistry 1
Organic Chemistry 2 General Chemistry 2

I constructed, audited and maintained the chemical inventory for the Chemistry Department
I assisted in the Hazard and Safety Department in chemical handling and precautions.
This is an excellent institution to work in and for. The support work staff and student and help fulfill the objective of the institution to educate global citizens.
Pros
Excellent administration, Excellent working environment, Excellent diversity, Excellent state of the art resources
Cons
N/a
A Calling
Lead Pastor (Former Employee) –  Sneedville, TNOctober 9, 2013
Not a job but a calling. One must be servant-oriented and submitted to authority in order to fill the pulpit in a United Methodist Church. That was an easy task because I love the people with whom I served.
Pros
Leadership; Community Development; Relationship Building
Cons
Mobility with placement