The University of California

The University of California Employee Reviews

United States350 reviews
I worked in a computer lab at UCSB, and generally found the clients an eclectic, but pleasant bunch. They take good care of their employees through health and retirement benefits, and are accommodating to individual situations. There are many advantages to working on a campus, too, such as arts and culture events, sporting events, and so forth. In my position, I could come in as early as I wished and stay as late as I wanted--whatever helped me get my work done most efficiently.
Pros
Great work environment, benefits.
As in research, you are as successful as the work you are willing to put in yourself. You may or may not have guidance. You will have to learn quickly to: 1) define research projects, 2) write grants and secure funding, 3) collaborate with other researchers, 4) assist and mentor incoming students, 5) perform research and find help where you can, and 6) trouble shoot and problem solve as issues arise.
Pros
Fun, caring, respectable, and flexible work environment
Cons
Low and often precarious pay
If you look at someone in a frustrated way, you might be called out as creating a hostile workplace. People are hypersensitive about everything. I worked at many Universities as a consultant and never saw anything like the culture at Berkeley.
Pros
Great university
Cons
Systems are a mess
I enjoyed working for the University of California, Santa Cruz management was very respectful and supportive of their employees. I also got to work with a diverse group of people with different cultures, lifestyles, and backgrounds. The hardest part of the job was sorting room keys and checking that every room key worked properly but we worked as a team in the west conference office so the hardest task was not hard after all. I honestly enjoyed my time working there, meeting new people, and learning new ideas and gaining a new perspective.
Pros
flexible days and hours
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
It's a relatively easy part-time job for full-time undergrad students, sometimes you have to deal with difficult customers because no one likes to pay for parking.
Pros
Good pay for an on campus job
Cons
Morning shifts starts early
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with students. There are many opportunities to advance if you want to. UC is great at offering opportunities for employees to learn more.
Culture of poor work ethics and a lack of professionalism throughout. The theory is that all of the universities in the system are one large system which requires continual support from one campus to the next. In theory this sounds good however when it causes large amounts of overtime for time and travel and room and board plus the need to often replace staff in order to send staff, this seems to not be the most efficient nor fiscally sound way to operate. Just the overtime costs alone is shocking for a system constantly struggling for funding.
Administration is not current with best practices nor are they aware of mandates placed on the universities outside of the university system.
Pros
Benefits are good for this current fiscal environment
Cons
No job guidance
Nice and very professional work atmosphere in University of California. There will be a learning every day and will enjoy the day to day activities at work.
Pros
Insist on working together to increase the productivity.
UC provides friendly environment for its workers. Work pressure is bearable. Workers and management in general are friendly.
UC also offers retirement plan
Loved working with other students but hard to work with scheduling. Had to work whatever hours your were given which changed from time to time depending on who got hired.
It was an honor to work at the UNIV OF CA. I worked hard and long days and the university provided me with career growth and an interesting career. There are lots of opportunities to create networks and make friends.
I have fully enjoyed my time at the University of California Merced right from the first day at work. The environment is refreshing and the colleagues are very friendly!
They should invest in working people and be more creative and hard working. Generally, it is not a bad place and you can find very decent people there.
Pros
Nice climate, positive people
Cons
Low salaries
I will not work for this place ever again. They were very unfriendly. The managers are hypocrites, they don't care about their employees, they expect you to work 24/7.
Great place to be employed, the people here want you to succeed. There is always a friendly environment and you can ask questions without feeling judged.
Great place to work, the staff and everyone is amazing, the benefits are really great. However having all teachers rehired every year or even every quarter makes for stressful working conditions.
Slow moving HR. HR is just there for the managers. Really setting the wine industry up for failure. Expected to train my boss, major failure of management. A raise can take over 2 years and most will not receive. Now asking for employees to work fo less money because of their poor planing.
Any rating in the current Shelter in Place environment is difficult. There is remote work and and educational opportunities abound, if you take the opportunities presented.
Cutting edge discoveries are made here. The campus is performing Covid-19 research in many sectors.

The political nature of this environment with such accomplished professionals can sometimes be challenging.

The current crisis changes the idea of job security. Who knows what will occur tomorrow based on it.
Pros
Educational Opportunities, advancement opportunities
Cons
Highly political
It was a great experience. I learned how to deal with customers, and gained insight on cold-calling. The work environment encouraged autonomy and provided the tools necessary to succed.
I standby everything UC had offer me and the directions they are going since this pandemic. Great place to work and learn. Keep in mind your experience may vary depending on, leadership and the department they are management. Overall UC is a great place to be apart of.
The project went well! We have meetings twice a week and are required to present work on every friday. We didn't compose the paper, but wrote a lot of code for experiment.