The University of California Employee Reviews

Staff, Students and Faculty were awesome to work with.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2018
Feel lucky that I was able to work at UCSD. Every department that I worked in was top notch. Was treated very professionally and given the tools to grow. The climate was great. Loved every minute of it.
Job Work/Life Balance is Poor
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 24, 2018
Wages come nowhere near the cost of living needs for the area. Majority of staff must commute over an hour in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. University tries to pay as little as possible. HR is in place to look out for university, not the employee, which results in unfair treatment of employees going unchecked.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
Low wages
Great experience
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 21, 2018
Had an amazing time working there on projects and helping out the department. Got great autonomy from my boss and they allowed me to show my skillset and experience.
Good, flexible job for students
Applied Math and Statistics Grader (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 20, 2018
I worked this job while being a student at UCSC. Work was distributed at the beginning of the week with graded papers returned to students by the end, with hourly allocation to this task entirely up to me. This was great to fit it into my packed schedule. Good compensation for good work.
UCSD Tutor, Data Science Student Society Club Co-Founder
Undergraduate Tutor, Computer Science (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2018
Life Changing experience at UC San Diego. Gained unforgettable knowledge and experience at my entire 5 years at the alma mater and experienced long term stable successful relationship with classmates as a class tutor, student, and leader in Data Science club Co-Founder
Loved my lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 19, 2018
Szumlinski lab was the absolute best. There was no compensation as it was a student research position but we learned so much it didn't matter. The UC and PI provided me a solid foundation for my career
too much drama
HR/Payroll Coordinator - Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2018
I work in the School of Theater Film and TV (TFT). The culture and environment in this department is very stressful. Too much drama, gossip and backstabbing. It may not be that bad in other departments. I've heard from ex TFT employees that it is actually much better outside of TFT,

Also, the University's operating systems are very antiquated and poorly managed, which necessitates a lot of manual processing and loads of paper to manage. With all the work required it would be more manageable and less labor intensive with a more efficient systems.
Pros
autonomy - allowed to do your job without much supervision
Cons
Overall operating systems and procedures are very antiquated, advancement lacking
Basic grad student life
Graduate Student of Soils & Biogeochemistry (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 16, 2018
I really enjoyed my time there great place to go to grad school and plenty of opportunities to find work, TA... etc. provided good work life balance and was a collaborative environment.
I was a grad student
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 16, 2018
I was a grad student. You work all day and sometimes sleep at night. Thats the trade off. The pay is low but you go into it knowing that you are working toward a degree anyway.
Great working environment and friendly coworkers make the job fun.
ASSISTANT GROUNDSKEEPER (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 15, 2018
My job at the University of California Santa Barbara is great because of the people I work with and the management. The location is also great. The work itself can be stressful at times but usually it is not too bad.
Fun staff
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 15, 2018
Being a student myself, I did not have a lot of time to dedicate to work, but when I was free, the supervisors were flexible in finding me some time to work so I could pay my bills.
Pros
Great staff and faculty, fun environment
Cons
Long hours at football
Deadening place to work.
Payroll Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 14, 2018
Working of the University of California quickly becomes as race to retirement and retirement benefits. One tends to become a prisoner of the 'golden handcuffs' and all calculations tend to be about maximizing retirement benefits and retiring as soon as possible.

The culture is poor, the time off is far too great - we earn a lot and many employees use it up immediately and can't be relied on to show up for work regularly. I typically am forced to take time off because I am reaching the maximum accrual. Work ethic is very low and a high percentage of the staff seeks to find a way to be paid not to work.

Working at the UC is demoralizing and leads to bad habits. I feel like I become a less productive human being every day I am here.
Pros
benefits are far above most modern institutions.
Cons
un-dynamic, timeclock-punching environment.
Academia
Research Scientist - Specialist Track (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 11, 2018
This is a great place to work for medical science, unfortunetly, it is really hard to keep your job in research for Ph.D level scientists. Hoewver, it is a really great place to get started as a entry level scientist.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
Job security and retention
Less work life balance
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2018
Sometimes less work life balance and more unnecessary pressure. Bureaucrat atmosphere prevails in many departments. Overall, okay to work in this environment.
Great!
Student Employment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 7, 2018
It was a very positive experience and I was very fortunate to have a supervisor who was always looking out for my personal and professional growth! Very grateful for this experience
Junior Counselor
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 4, 2018
University of California was my first job and it definitely gave me a strong foundation . I also meet a lot of amazing people there . Overall , it was a great experience .
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAMay 4, 2018
Loved the people I worked with. A fun and relaxed environment. Not much room for advancement within the department. Pay was good but cost of living was high, so it often felt I was living paycheck-to-paycheck. Some checks and balances were lacking.
It has been difficult to commute and relocate
Professional Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 2, 2018
While the research in several groups is outstanding, I did find it difficult to commute and to integrate.

Several research groups show poor management, and directors with poor vision.
Pros
Several groups carry good research
Comfortable and Stable Job at UCI
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 1, 2018
Working at UC Irvine was a great first job out of college. The work environment is strict but the workload is laid back. Everything is slow paced (like most government jobs) so it is easy to become stagnant if you do not take the initiative to keep busy. The job has good benefits and job stability.
Pros
Great benefits, pension plan, work-life balance
Cons
Slow paced (easy to get bored/complacent), not much innovation, lower pay than private sector
great place
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2018
friendly and professional environment
nice people to work with
great work schedule