The University of California Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Found 1,123 reviews matching the search See all 1,137 reviews
This was an class project
Sorbit Biodesign Team Member (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 16, 2018
Worked in a team to achieve this project. The project was a biodesign project where we made an eco-friendly diaper. The class was actually a great experience where we won our local completion and had the chance to compete in NYC.
Fun and Interactive
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJuly 14, 2018
Interactive with students
opportunity to collaborate with teachers and other workers
lots of educational opportunities with students
learn how children develop and learn depending on how old they are
Student Assistant
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time working as a student at the university and I would recommend it to any student looking to begin their career on campus. Depending on their department, each job is different but the community is the same.
Day in the life of a Letter Service assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 9, 2018
A typical work day was being one of the first people in the officer for the morning, responsible for powering up the common areas and reviewing voicemails. The day was largely based around reviewing requests for recommendation letters to be sent out, waiting for email requests and uploading letters to corresponding schools. Responsible for shutting down the front office at closing time where students came in to speak with counselors, as well as shutting down the letter service office for the evening.
Excellent opportunity for advancement.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 9, 2018
I begin my career at the University of California, Office of the President as an Administrative. Within 3 years I was promoted to Executive Assistant to Vice President of the University. This position is one of the highlight of my professional career.
Pros
Institution of Higher Education.
Community Based, Relaxed Workplace
Community Assistant / Center (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 8, 2018
Working there was easy, relaxing, and most certainly community based. Everyone working there from assistants, to student workers, to professional staff were all like friends to me. Deadlines would come but were easy to complete due to amazing organization on behalf of the Manager. Working with students, parents and other student-staff was stress free and amazing as well.
Pros
relaxed, enjoyable, fun, community based, easy, part time, flexable, understanding
Cons
Not enough pay for the area
fun, bike alot
Observer Radiology resident (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 7, 2018
during the 4 weeks observership, every week I went to a different section, in the radiology department, to learn from great radiologist.
it was interesting since I was able to see the radiology basics are similar anywhere.
A great place to work!!!
EDITOR (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJuly 6, 2018
The University of California is a wonderful employer with very competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and terrific advancement and educational opportunities. They really care about their employees and strive to keep employees up to date on job skills and promotional opportunities. Their staff education classes and staff assistance programs are second to none. If you can secure a position with the UC, stay and make it a career.
Pros
great compensation and benfits
Cons
you have to pay to park where you work
A good place to work
Conduct Officer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 6, 2018
The University of California, Berkeley was a nice place to work. The campus is beautiful. It was exciting to work with students and the community. More opportunities for advancement would be helpful. A nice place to retire from.
Great environment that promoted both team and unsupervised work
Development and Campaign Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 3, 2018
I really enjoy working at UCLA. There is great camaraderie and appreciation of a job well done. I moved away from the events side of development at focused on the fundraising aspect of things to develop a more thorough knowledge of the nonprofit world. I learned various aspects from working with fundraisers directly to being involved with strategic planning for the campaign However, I missed the creativity of event planning so I have being given a few events to manage. I appreciate that when I express my desire to try new things at work, my supervisors support that.
Network and Security Architect (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 29, 2018
Good place to work, plenty of challenging projects reaching a large base of users. The projects range from data center upgrades to large scale wireless and backbone improvements.
Great position for Teaching Experience
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2018
It was a great experience to observe and work alongside of long time professors as their assistant/s. I learned how to be an efficient and skillful teacher, leader and mentor for young students. They hardest part was giving grades, which was time consuming and sometimes difficult.
Pros
Use of equipment.
Grad School
PhD, Department of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 27, 2018
Graduate School in the social sciences has increasingly declining returns. Not necessarily UCD's fault, but they certainly aren't doing anything to mitigate the structural conditions of University labor.
Working for the UC school system.
Part-time Barista (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed my time working as a barista for the school. The work environment remained the same. The same procedures (cleaning, stocking, etc) remained the same. Making coffees and taking orders only gets easier with time, and my coworkers were in my same age group. Teamwork rather than individualistic work was an aspect I really appreciated from this job because it allowed me to be dependable, as well as reliable for the work we produce. The hardest part of my job is the closing shift because there are only two people in store. The best part of my job was playing our own music and being around enjoyable people. Management was also very understanding of situations and scheduling as long as you spoke to them in advance.
Great way to try out possible careers
CalTeach Intern- Internship (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAJune 26, 2018
Working with University of California's programs / internships are a great way for one to "test out the waters" and see if they would be really interested in pursuing that career. Pretty friendly, if you speak up and ask, then you will receive.
Great learning experience
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2018
Important to come prepared to work.
Professors were very helpful.
Hardest part of the job is that sometimes there is a learning curve if, for example, programming skills is needed for data analyses.
Research Assistant
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2018
Typical day consists of analyzing data collected from subjects, creating new experiments to assess vision and motion perception, and conducting online research perspective taking
Productive atmosfeer
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 25, 2018
Great place to learn and contribute to science. Learned technical and managerial skills. High paced workplace culture. Lab meetings are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
occasional free lunches, good collaborative environment
Cons
work stability
Working at the dining commons
SAII (Kitchen Staff) (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 25, 2018
Nothing too different from working at a fast-food restaurant other than the fact the dining commons are significantly larger that most dining establishments in town. Mostly working with other fellow undergraduate students with the occasional middle-aged folk, who tend to overly elaborate on the simplest job duties to the point where it becomes annoying and generates a natural tendency to avoid encountering them on the premises.
Pros
Free meal for every three~four hours working, consistent work practices
Cons
Difficulty getting time off when needed, dull work environment, cost of uniform taken out of first paycheck.
Volunteer internship at Napa State Hospital
Undergraduate Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 25, 2018
This was a very intriguing experience for me. Every tuesday, a small group of undergrad psychologists would drive to Napa State Hospital. We'd meet at an office and then choose which unit each individual intended to visit. There was mentally ill patients from the courts because they committed a crime, there were mentally ill patients that didn't cause any harm, and there was a geriatric unit.
Pros
Great education
Cons
Driving there from Berkeley after long day at school