The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

What I learned
Gordon Center Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2019
Faculty and Administrators have a big say in your employment status. If they feel you should be replaced, they will take an aggressive approach to have employees and supervisors removed. Senior management will work with Faculty and Administrators surreptitiously to fabricate reasons to have you removed. In almost all cases, the employee will not have an opportunity to refute claims against her. This creates an environment where the employees are constantly looking over their shoulders, once Faculty and Administrators place a target on their back. Because research brings in a lot of money, senior management acts at the behest of Faculty and their administrators.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You're constantly looking over your shoulder if researchers decide that they do not like you.
Family-like work environment and consistent learning experience with a feeling of reward.
Project Assistant IIWorked (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Enjoyed working in a fast pace work environment which made the work day go by swiftly! A joy to work collaboratively with staff and students from all departments was a plus. Working here was a constant learning experience which I have had the pleasure of putting to use in other work environments.
Pros
Free meals and supportive, family-like environment along with competitive benefits package!
Cons
Parking fees.
It's a University
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Ratner Athletic CenterJuly 18, 2018
Universities and colleges across the United States have similar systems where job postings for facilities and athletics are rare and pay is usually small. This is understandable due to the fact that these are places of education and not places for professional sports. U of C has a large athletic program but their aquatics budget is low which is evident by the limited lifeguards they have on duty during free swim. The university offers a lot of benefits to full time staff and faculty and they use an online system to keep track of sick and vacation days.
Pros
Amazing facilities, access to staff and faculty that are the world's best
Cons
low wage, odd hours
Team Work
Learning Space Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2018
In the AV department there is a team oriented atmosphere.
I've learned so much from others in the department.I started as a temp working full time hours, I enjoyed working and being part of team.
Pros
lunch/benifits
Fantastic Institution
Research Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
U of C is a fantastic academic institution.
There are so many reasons why a person should consider U of C as a place to work. The variety and diversity of personnel, the creative environment, the gracious benefits (especially retirement plans), the prestigious reputation as an institution, and the beautiful campus are among the multitude of reasons I would very highly recommend the University as a whole as a place of employment.
Isolating Experience
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Working as a temporary part-time research assistant was a strange experience; although it was a freeing job that allowed me to go at my own pace, it was also a terribly isolating job that didn't have room for growth. I was a part of a longitudinal study and never got to know anyone, including my bosses because there was a cult-ish presence that wasn't welcoming towards non-students and non-alums.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No benefits, wasn't able to work more than 20 hours per week as an external hire
Office Manger (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
It really is all about patient care! hate that i had to relocate- U of C really does take care of their own- amazing benefits package and matching pay.
Ok
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Okay place to work. Met some great people, but was never officially trained for position, so it was difficult to perform some tasks. Had to learn much on my own (which was fine as I enjoy learning new skills, but it made things take twice as long to figure out) and this created issues later on in employment. Good benefits.
Little room for advancement for support staff
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2018
Pay was very good, office was casual and people were friendly and hardworking. However, it is a very hierarchical environment at the University of Chicago, and working as support staff can be discouraging, especially if you are looking to advance your career as it can be difficult to identify a career pathway for admin staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Enjoyed the work environment and staff
Project Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Each day was different yet rewarding. Multi-tasking was required. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the interaction with students and professors.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Many departments are being consolidated
Great Stopping Point to Learn
Building Automation Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2018
The University is a great place to gain exposure, learn and collaborate ideas. There is a very good work/life balance along with pay and benefits.

Leadership is competent and built on years of past high performance experience.
Pros
Benefits and above average pay
Cons
Stagnant growth opportunities outside of academics
It was a nice place to work at friendly people to be around.
Telephone Interviewer NORC (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 21, 2018
A typical work day would be to come in and report for your shift and let management know you were here get your assignment for the day and login to your computer and start doing your job assigned to you for that day. Sometimes if they need extra help on a survey they will ask you have you been trained for this assignment if so you can do that survey as well. What I have learned is that while performing my job on behave of the CDC that shots are very important for children to have to receive it really helps the kids in the long run. Some of the management staff are great and the hardest part of the job to me was the provider look-up but once I got the hang of the job it was great, The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that the kind of work I was doing was for a very good purpose it helped the CDC out from the work we were doing on our end as far as gathering information for them.
Pros
Free hot chocolate and coffee all day
Cons
very short breaks
Competitive and toxic culture
Communications (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2018
After spending a long time in higher education I've landed at UChicago to find it is competitive and not at all collaborative. The culture is toxic and management does not support junior staff members. It is hierarchical and leadership consistently reminds junior staff members that they are junior. The are not inclusive and the majority of employees are just trying to prove how smart they are while cutting other people down.
Pros
Pay is better than most higher education institutions.
Cons
Toxic culture
Productive and interesting
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  5758 so. MarylandNovember 5, 2018
Going from one area of the Hospital assisting Anesthesiologist in difficult cases. Like Main Or, Children Or, and Out Patient, GI, CT, and MRI cases. Assisting in all Trauma cases,setting up trauma rooms and raft rooms.Working in Cardiac teaching Residents how to set up central Lines, and float a swan. Assisting with ART Lines, IV set up. Difficult intubation, Jaw thrust,cricoid pressure.Assisting with ortho cases by Positioning patients for Spinal and epidural cases. Manager is very detailed and always try to work with you and help you get what you need. Always shut down those who complain to much and try to stay positive. Them most enjoyable part of the day is when can go home and relax and get prepared for the next day.Especially when I can leave for Choir rehearsal, and Bible study.
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Cons
short breaks
working as lab tech
Research Support Assistant/full-time (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
My job was routine, somewhat complex, very stressful and I learned a lot there. Unfortunately there were communication issues between the people I provided the product to and management and then on to me. The hardest part was working out the quality of the fly food that I cooked.
Pros
good benefits, excellent paid time off policies
Cons
little chance to put forth my own opinions on how my job could be improved
Other employees we're racist, and often cracked jokes and played at work. This was the only disadvantage to me because they would disturb my work
Maintenance and Janitorial (Former Employee) –  United statesSeptember 20, 2018
As far as the work it was very easy. But other employees usually horse played on the job and the management and Hispanic/Latino employees would often crack jokes in Spanish bashing others because they didn't think we we're fluent in spanish
Pros
Pay
Cons
Employees/employers
great place
System Administrator/Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2018
Great team, great boss, great hours...Not so great salary. Merit increases had been minimized due to economy or so we were told. Still an awesome place to work.
Pros
Great institution
Cons
Questionable salary
The hardest part of the job
Administrative Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2018
The hardest part of my job is to explaining to a person why they can't receive the service they feel they are due at the time. My people feel they are due service due to the amount of money one may be paying to attend the university. I remain humble and give the best service I can under any situation .Solve the problem at hand as quickly as I can and give/get a resolve to the situation. Smile and hope they have a good day.
Work is not stressful. Good management. Friendly people. Good equipment. I learned a lot. I expected higher salary The number of publications was low
Research Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2018
I expected higher salary. Unfortunately the number of publications was low.
Excellent Research mentors, colleagues, and technical resources
Assistant Professor, Physician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2018
Very collaborative and cutting edge on the research side. Poor clinical management, especially on the outpatient clinic side. Not interested in changing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss