The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

Executive Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2018
Great campus, nice work/life balance, welcoming work environment; career advancement opportunities; provides 50% discount in tuition;
very compatible health coverage
Productive, Educational, Professional
Temporary Project Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
This was a great place to work. The campus is gorgeous. They hold several educational classes to make sure one is equipped with the resources they need to complete the job.
Great Stopping Point to Learn
Building Automation Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2018
The University is a great place to gain exposure, learn and collaborate ideas. There is a very good work/life balance along with pay and benefits.

Leadership is competent and built on years of past high performance experience.
Pros
Benefits and above average pay
Cons
Stagnant growth opportunities outside of academics
Easy-going place to work
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2018
This is a job I really enjoyed. You come to work provide support to both the Hospital and University with technical issues. I've learned a lot working with other help-desk professional from unlocking accounts, to remote access to assist customer w/technical issues, to creating files, etc. Management was easy-going and laid back as well. It was an inclusive environment with no egos and people willing to help. The hardest part of the job is that it was temporary so knowing it will end was difficult. Location, hours and work environment was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
location, people
Cons
temporary assignment
A Great Place to work with Great Benefits
UNIT CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2018
Answering phones, transcribing labs, and xrays into the computer. Ordering supplies, Assisting vistors finding their love ones. Making and disassembly charts. Assigned bed for the nurses. Relieve clerks at the different stations for lunch, The hardest part of my job was to work the evening shift that I was not used to, I did 3 to 11 for five years. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my co workers and boss smile when I would go out of mine way to help them.
Pros
discount tickets and discount on the service
Cons
no lunches or short lunches
Work-Study job
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
This was a part-time job for students. There's lots of possible jobs, and a variety of workplace cultures. This is not going to be helpful for anyone using this site because you have to be a student.
Great company, poor managment
Intake Coordinator/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
I was taken away without having any input on how the manager was treating me, overall great colleagues and physician care. Great training, and so much to learn
great place
System Administrator/Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2018
Great team, great boss, great hours...Not so great salary. Merit increases had been minimized due to economy or so we were told. Still an awesome place to work.
Pros
Great institution
Cons
Questionable salary
Excellent Physicians
Project Assistant, III, Present (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 14, 2018
the University of Chicago is a fast pace Medical and Academic setting which require employee to take control of situations with limited supervisor to problem solve.
Pros
Excellent Physicians
Cons
It's cool and very steady...
Uitility worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2018
Well when I first start it everything was all good then a new company came in and took over I change the culture at the University of Chicago so now I'm ready for a new change....
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Too many breaks doing in school year
A good day working at University of Chicago
Secretary V/Administrative Specialist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2018
Arrival at work is usually pleasant. Plenty of happy people greeting you. Lunches are scheduled and taken at a specific time. We work as a team to get things done in a timely manner.
Pros
coffee every morning, lunches when we have been working hard, good amount of vacation and sick time
Cons
lack of flexibility and work/life balance
Great University
PhD Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2018
What a great place to work, study and live. Chicago is very affordable and has rather mild winter. I wish it was more windy. Everyone at UofC is relaxed and pleasant to work with.
Pretty fair
Mascot (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2018
On campus Job I took to make a little cash on the side. The Mascot Job was mainly showing up for events when they happened. You could not speak, and the costume was very hot. However, it did make people happy.
Pros
free food, paid well
Cons
Really hot
Fantastic Academic Atmosphere
Resident Physician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2018
Great place to learn and grow. Educational setting and high standard of care. Fantastic place for research and patient care. Great collaboration between departments!
Just a normal med tech job
HISTOCOMPATIBILITY TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2018
Clinical healthcare is asking all medical professionals to do more with less. This job is a safe and manageable profession, but offers no room for growth. The ideal candidate for this position will inherently have no desire to progress their professional career.
Pros
quiet, consistent work day, nice cafeteria
Cons
parking, apathetic upper management, adverse to personal career growth
Management Was terrible Changed constantly
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Fast paced very little guidance and management assistance Upper Management changed to frequently. Training was very little hands on. Everything done via computer
Pros
N/a
good place, but difficult project leader
Graduate research fellow (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2018
I was given a difficult thesis project, which ultimately was a dead-end. My advisor was not very supportive until perhaps towards the very end, when he realized that the thesis topic he gave me was based on ambiguous/false previous work.
Pros
interesting fellow students
Cons
little support or mentoring from advisor
working as lab tech
Research Support Assistant/full-time (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
My job was routine, somewhat complex, very stressful and I learned a lot there. Unfortunately there were communication issues between the people I provided the product to and management and then on to me. The hardest part was working out the quality of the fly food that I cooked.
Pros
good benefits, excellent paid time off policies
Cons
little chance to put forth my own opinions on how my job could be improved
Excellent
Building Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2018
The University of Chicago is a great place to work. Great people, great Campus. I am honored to be part of such a prestigious University and my pride has always been evident in my work. A laid back atmosphere and family type departments always make you feel like you are part of the team and you input is valued.
fun work place
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2018
organizing books and scanning them in the system
learned a new system and go to work with the robotic librarian
the hardest part was being on you r feet all day
Cons
lots of food trucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

The University of Chicago Reviews by Location