The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

I have a keen sense of establishing relationships effectively
Secretary IV (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2018
My strong background in office work allowed me to deal with customers and staff in a professional manner. Personally, I was pleased with being detailed about my position.
Pros
Good cost-of-living pay
Cons
Management skills
Upper management out of touch with bedside care
Staff RN Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2018
The care provided by the nursing staff is amazing despite upper managements attempts to work with bare bone staff. They have lost touch with reality and only see patients as a number or source of revenue.
Good
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2018
Good place to work. Environment is challenging and there's many different things to do and work on. Always something new going on somewhere. Really enjoy working here.
A typical day
ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2018
Working in a dorm with students and working in event spaces can be very busy and some days stressful. I work with the packages of the buildings and the mail, keys and room bookings. When there is an event there can be from 50 people -500 people in the building, so make sure that you are knowledgeable about the event important in order to help patrons
Pros
Meeting new people and great events
Cons
low wages and alot of work sometimes
Good overall.
Facilities Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2018
Good people to work with. Management doesn't always understand the difficulties of day to day operations. Different departments work well together to solve problems.
Graduate Student
Doctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2018
I was a graduate student at the Unviersity which is largely driven by which program you are in. I enjoyed my time at UChicago and thought I had the chance to learn and develop many new skills while I was there.
Giving back to the UofC community through alumni engagement was great
20th Reunion Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2018
Giving back to the UofC community through alumni engagement was great - it was a great source of pride to reconnect with such a strong and curious network of people.
Other employees we're racist, and often cracked jokes and played at work. This was the only disadvantage to me because they would disturb my work
Maintenance and Janitorial (Former Employee) –  United statesSeptember 20, 2018
As far as the work it was very easy. But other employees usually horse played on the job and the management and Hispanic/Latino employees would often crack jokes in Spanish bashing others because they didn't think we we're fluent in spanish
Pros
Pay
Cons
Employees/employers
Not a fun place to work
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
Although once would say that the University is a great Institution, it is not a fun place to work. Discrimination and office politics prime over performance.
Hated it!
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2018
One of my worst jobs and I haven't had many. Very political organization. Hard to advance. No training or motivation. Maybe it was just the department I worked in.
the uchicago is good place for working
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2018
I have good training in Uchicago during I stayed there. The strong academic environment and culture are very good. I like uchicago since it gives me a better chance to develop.
Confidential
Executive Assistant to CFO (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILAugust 28, 2018
I would rather not answer this question. I choose to rate my experience based on the answers I have given thus far. I have had three supervisors in three years, this says much.
Ok company
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 28, 2018
The DCAM phlebotomy team is very cut throat and brutual they are picky and messy especially the floor manager she is a very mean and hatred person. But the medical care there is the best.
Excellent place to work!
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2018
I can't say enough about how great my experience was working at University of Chicago. The flexibility was excellent and since it was a private university, it was shielded from some of the politics that are faced by public universities. I would definitely go back and work at UChicago again.
Fun and balanced work environment!
Cognitive Science Researcher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 22, 2018
Great place to work! Everyone is extremely knowledgeable and motivated to help you find your niche. Staff are kind and dedicated to their work. Graduate students mentor as well
Overall Great Place to Work
College Program Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I worked here part time during undergrad and greatly enjoyed it! I think it definitely depends on which office you join, but most of the student positions are very flexible and have great management.
Mission Drives the culture. Great work- life balance.
20th Reunion Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
I served as a reunion committee volunteer, tasked with alumni outreach and fundraising. Our staff assistant director of development was responsive, helpful and supportive. We were able to reach our contribution goal for the class year.
Ok
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Okay place to work. Met some great people, but was never officially trained for position, so it was difficult to perform some tasks. Had to learn much on my own (which was fine as I enjoy learning new skills, but it made things take twice as long to figure out) and this created issues later on in employment. Good benefits.
High powered research university. Intellectually stimulating environment
Research Assistant/Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILAugust 7, 2018
I was hired into the department of medicine as a soft-money assistant research professor. My employment period lasted as long as the grant was funded. The University of Chicago offers an unsurpassed intellectual environment. There was adequate infrastructure, research assistant support and financial support for the research we conducted over the 4.5 years of my contract.
Pros
Very intellectually stimulating enviroment
Very rewarding to work in the Renal Transplant Dept.
Sec/Rec. Renal/Liver Transplant Dept (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
It was rewarding to know that I had some small part in the day-to-day process of helping the patient get their necessary bloodwork and qualifying in getting on the transplant waiting list. It was even more rewarding when a match came in for a patient.
Pros
developing friendships with patients
Cons
Appeasing egos and witnessing competitiveness between physicians and nurses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss