The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

Ok
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Okay place to work. Met some great people, but was never officially trained for position, so it was difficult to perform some tasks. Had to learn much on my own (which was fine as I enjoy learning new skills, but it made things take twice as long to figure out) and this created issues later on in employment. Good benefits.
Very rewarding to work in the Renal Transplant Dept.
Sec/Rec. Renal/Liver Transplant Dept (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
It was rewarding to know that I had some small part in the day-to-day process of helping the patient get their necessary bloodwork and qualifying in getting on the transplant waiting list. It was even more rewarding when a match came in for a patient.
Pros
developing friendships with patients
Cons
Appeasing egos and witnessing competitiveness between physicians and nurses.
Great pay
Lead Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2018
This job pays at the top end of the tier. The work culture attempts to be one of the safest environments to work in although its location is in a Urban area.
Pros
Pay
Interesting place to work
Research Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2018
My day to day job in a laboratory taking care of basic items for basic science laboratories to function was a rewarding place to work. I appreciate the opportunity for the experience and was saddened when I had to leave.
Pros
lots of time off, christmas parties
Cons
repetitious work tasks
Good pay horrible people
House keeping assistant III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2018
I would reccomend going into this with a Career without any experience or a degree your pretty much stuck in entry level. If your not a nurse you don’t get any respect
Enjoyed the work environment and staff
Project Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Each day was different yet rewarding. Multi-tasking was required. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the interaction with students and professors.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Many departments are being consolidated
Fantastic Institution
Research Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2018
U of C is a fantastic academic institution.
There are so many reasons why a person should consider U of C as a place to work. The variety and diversity of personnel, the creative environment, the gracious benefits (especially retirement plans), the prestigious reputation as an institution, and the beautiful campus are among the multitude of reasons I would very highly recommend the University as a whole as a place of employment.
It's a University
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Ratner Athletic CenterJuly 18, 2018
Universities and colleges across the United States have similar systems where job postings for facilities and athletics are rare and pay is usually small. This is understandable due to the fact that these are places of education and not places for professional sports. U of C has a large athletic program but their aquatics budget is low which is evident by the limited lifeguards they have on duty during free swim. The university offers a lot of benefits to full time staff and faculty and they use an online system to keep track of sick and vacation days.
Pros
Amazing facilities, access to staff and faculty that are the world's best
Cons
low wage, odd hours
Great place to be
IT Field Technician/Contractor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2018
They have a solid team and a personable manager. The work culture is nice and the environment can take some getting use to but once you got it down youre good.
Your boss determines your happiness
Assistant Director, Communications (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
The University is too large and its careers too diverse to summarize accurately for others. I don't know why this is required to post my resume. This should be enough.
I Love my job
Peer Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2018
Im currently working at UIC and im loving every minute of it. I feel most complete here and my team members are awesome! I wouldn't replace this job for anything. I just need another job to compliment this one
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Excellent University
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
An excellent university committed to excellence. Large and matrixed. Would financially benefit from becoming more administrative centralized, while honoring the distinct cultures.
Productive work atmosphere, friendly people.
Medical Records Tech II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Hands on, and very busy work days. Lots of bending, lifting, stretching, pulling, pushing, and working with lots of files and paper. Friendly co-workers.
Pros
Co-workers that were willing to train and teach or re-train.
Cons
Position didn't last long enough.
Little room for advancement for support staff
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2018
Pay was very good, office was casual and people were friendly and hardworking. However, it is a very hierarchical environment at the University of Chicago, and working as support staff can be discouraging, especially if you are looking to advance your career as it can be difficult to identify a career pathway for admin staff.
Pros
Great benefits
Isolating Experience
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Working as a temporary part-time research assistant was a strange experience; although it was a freeing job that allowed me to go at my own pace, it was also a terribly isolating job that didn't have room for growth. I was a part of a longitudinal study and never got to know anyone, including my bosses because there was a cult-ish presence that wasn't welcoming towards non-students and non-alums.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No benefits, wasn't able to work more than 20 hours per week as an external hire
A Leader in the field
Senior Director Development and Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2018
When you work for U of C you know you are working for a very strong and great institution. They have worked hard to continue to be a leader in all their fields, including business, medicine and development.
Pros
Strong Leadership
Cons
Big place, hard to get to know people
Worked for Aramark at the University of Chicago
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2018
Aramark didn't have a Human Resources department on site, most of the issues or employees were not solve or take care properly. There is a employee Union that basically run the food service on campus so management is basically tide up and can not improve much of the ongoing issues. Employee discipline is not existent so good look working in a stressful, undisciplined environment where the employee union tell you what to do.
Active and engaging atmosphere to work in.
Assc. Dir. of Estate & Gift Planning (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2018
I developed relationships with alumni and discussed estate and gift planning with them. I often traveled to introduce myself and the University's estate plans. I also created marking brochures for the department.
Pros
Exciting
Highly collaborative academic environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2018
This role was challenging due to the nature of academia as opposed to a business/corporate environment, however it was an excellent place for networking, building relationships, and out of the box problem solving. I found the environment open to change and fairly adaptable.
Pros
Good community environment, highly collaborative
Cons
Change is slow to implement
Executive Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2018
Great campus, nice work/life balance, welcoming work environment; career advancement opportunities; provides 50% discount in tuition;
very compatible health coverage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

The University of Chicago Reviews by Location