The University of Chicago Employee Reviews

Elitist culture with few opportunities for advancement
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2019
University of Chicago Human Resources personnel are apologists for elitist faculty who treat staff as if they are children. Raises are low and infrequent. Morale is also frighteningly low. Staff are brought to tears by faculty on a weekly basis. Technology in the administrative office is ridiculously behind the times for an organization whose tagline is "At the Forefront". Fax machines and carbon copies are still used. The University and Union are embattled and both use staff members as tools. Pay is low and the work load is overwhelming for some and non-existent for others. If you happen to work in an old building, you are subjected to freezing cold temperatures no matter what the season, disgustingly smelly bathrooms and enormous bugs that look like they came from an alien planet. My advice? Work for UC at your own risk. Several people in my department quit within months of being hired. The only upside to working for this institution is the name. People who don't know think it's a prestigious place to work so it looks good on a resume.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay, horrible elitist culture, few advancement opportunities
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2019
Every department is different in the way it functions. I loved my job and what I did and how it impacted others, however management style was very poor. Management does not do one-on-one reviews more than once a year so it's difficult to get feedback and to give feedback.
Work
Registered Nurse (Agency) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2019
The UOC is a good place to work at. They strongly believe in teamwork. The nurses are very helpful. The facility is beautiful and management is very organized and supportive of staff.
Pros
Discounted lunch
Cons
Long walking distances so short break
managing day to day operations
Sr. System Business Analyst Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2019
work day: 8+
learn great experience
diverse management with great work culture. Some time need to travel a lot. great appreciation for career growth
Good experience
Lecturer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2019
Good experience, hard to get; pay could be higher but it is probably competitive. A lot of grading, and very high expectations (as they should be). Overall, recommend.
Commute
Research Nurse Associate, Section of Hematology (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2019
Management is excellent. Salary and benefits are the best I've ever experienced. The main problem is the distance and no direct public transportation to the campus. Not an easy work/life balance due to commute.
Pros
Excellent salary
Cons
Location for commute
ok
secretary (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2019
there are several job titles at the university. some are stressful, others are not. I do not feel that my department has my best interest and there is no room for growth. You can be blocked from interviews and for that reason alone I am ready to leave.
see below
Medical Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60637March 29, 2019
A typical day at the University was active for eight hours. The handling of 3rd, 4th and visiting student is the entire function of the coordinator's job responsibilities. Orientation is the most important responsibility as well as proctoring the shelf exam at the end of a six week rotation for the 3rd year medical students, as well as scheduling the visiting and 4th year medical students and arranging orientation for the visiting student. The position was a learning experience. The ability to assist with the residency program during the residency interview, where 100's of applicants interview to become part of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program. the fun part of this position is attending the senior residents graduating banquet.
Pros
Working independently
Good
Research Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2019
Reasonable health insurance and retirement plan. Located in Hyde Park, a community full of students. Co-workers are nice and that created.a comfortable working environment.
Workplace culture varies from department to department
Department Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60637March 26, 2019
This job has many great benefits, including reduced summer hours and flexibility. The work load is somewhat seasonal, and the culture varies from department to department. It can be quiet at times, and very stressful at other times. There are efforts to streamline and unify the departmental procedures to reduce discrepancy in method and functionality.
Culture of Teach and Learn
Business Administrator - Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2019
I love the culture of teach and learn of the University of Chicago. Provide good customer service. Management has good and bad, it depend on division and department you work.
Pros
Good Benefits
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 17, 2019
Very nice place to work a lot of opportunities poor managements I have been there doing housekeeping for 7 years working in the children emergency I loved being apart of the university family
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
A typical day at work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2019
Assigned to a community along with other team members. Produced project to make the community a better place. Pitched a fundraiser for the neighborhood and created a mural.
Great team and great atmosphere
VoIP Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2019
I was only hired as a contractor on a special project but, if given the opportunity, I would have loved to work for the University of Chicago full time. They have a great work life balance, a solid team to work with and I really enjoyed my time there.
Great Environment To Learn
Hospital Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2019
I was provided with a great environment to learn about the administrative process and the several things that go into it. For someone who wants to know what it is like to be in a business environment, this is a great opportunity.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2019
Collaborative, supportive environment. Excellent benefits and a convenient location. I learned a lot about research funding and the process and importance of receiving research grants.
N/a
Student - MA Program in the Humanities (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2019
My job was fine, it was part-time just to pay the bills while I was in school, and it got the job done. My manager and co-workers were helpful, and communication was good when they needed me for an assignment.
Very rich environment to work in.
Maintance Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2019
This internship helped me network and I was able to meet so many people with different backgrounds. This job was an amazing learning experience in the field as with life.
Not what it appears to be!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, ILJanuary 25, 2019
For being a prestigious university, there is a lack of accountability throughout all ranks. They have major budgetary issues and prioritize things according to upholding their image. They do not reinvest in their employees and there is not much room for advancement. Don’t plan on staying here even if the perceived atmosphere looks perfect. Almost all employees are miserable and negative.
Pros
Benefits and Paid Time Off
Cons
Pay, no reinvestment into employees, unqualified staff and managers, over expectations for job titles.
TSSO Management is Awful
Research Production Supervisor, NORC (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2019
TSSO department of U of C is a boiler room, call center run by a management team that is extremely huarded over their positions and continuously cycles new supervisors in and out in an attempt to thwart anyone (even people who don't want their jobs) from moving up. The TSSO side of NORC at the U of C gathers and scrubs data for the PhD side of the business to analyze. The PhD's seem to be ok, it's the call center manager and supporting staff that are truly awful people.
Pros
Rigorous training, you gain excellent Excel skills
Cons
Terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss