The University of Chicago Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Ok
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2018
Okay place to work. Met some great people, but was never officially trained for position, so it was difficult to perform some tasks. Had to learn much on my own (which was fine as I enjoy learning new skills, but it made things take twice as long to figure out) and this created issues later on in employment. Good benefits.
Very nice place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2018
I really enjoyed working at U Of I my coworkers were great people to work with. My Supervisor was the best I ever had. I hated to leave there. It was a contract position. I have still been applying for positions there because I would love to work for them on a permanent.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
Fun and fast paced environment.
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2018
Typical day: listening and responding to phones call. Reading and answering emails. Fulfilling needs of faculty and their request.

Scanning, faxing documents.Internet research.

Attended classes: To upgrade my use of all software; classes to enhance communication skills.

Upkeep of department. Ensuring materials are on hand for use by Professors, staff and students.

Workplace culture: very diversified.

No hard part of job. If I did not understand which direction to go to complete an assignment, I went directly to person for guidance.My approach to my job was appreciated by all.

Enjoyable part of job was the opportunity to work with people who were lighthearted and provided a fun environment.
Pros
Free lunches when events were scheduled in my department, and other departments. All support staff and employees had celebrations for: birthdays, retirements, and holidays.
Cons
I do not have any cons for my position. It was a friendly environment, but fast-paced.
The diversity of the center kept it interesting.
Administrative Assistant - ASCI Flash Center (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2016
Interesting, knowledgable, fun, intriguing. Being able to work with chemistry, mathematician, astrophysicist. I never like science, ut now I have a new understanding of the subject. Being able to help theses men and women was very helpful to me as a person.
Pros
Getting excellent mark on the Center's audits.
Cons
When one of the Center's member didn't want to work with the team.
A close net family office.
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2014
Analyzed, organized, the payment of Account payable billing invoices for the private vendors of
The University of Chicago. Duties also involved mail distribution between four office levels. I generated Microsoft Excel spreadsheets data within the Payment and Purchase Service department. I then filed invoices numerically. I formulated calculated for progress reports. I retrieved employee's information from the University Chicago's Directory. Processed billing invoices. Prepare documents for scanning. Monitor the phone lines of fifty employees. Identify vendor numbers
Pros
Snacks free coffee
Cons
n/a
An Amazing Institution
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2014
Excellent in patient care. The University of Chicago's mission is not just a statement. It is a statement of fact. A wonderful university and hospital.
Diverse work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisJuly 30, 2013
There is no typical work day; anything can happen working at the University of Chicago Department of Safety & Security. I have been an employee there for almost 10 years; provided support for several divisions in the same department. I grew in my skills and experiences as the department grew. Although, it has been 'fluid' in the department, I have been able to sustain myself in the various positions that I have held during the new management transition, as well as, the reorganizations and lay-offs. The most challenging part of the job is during those periods change, it can often cause negative vibes and uncertainty in a work environment. I have held several positions in the same department while supporting various divisions; therefore I can also be viewed as the 'utility' person of the department. I have gained the institutional knowledge and respect from upper management, as well as, my cohorts. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to provide a high level of customer service regardless of how challenging the incident &/or situation may be; knowing that the customer walked away at least satisfied. Last, but not least, anything can happen at any given day, at any time. It is definitely not a boring job.
Outstanding Institution
Project Assistant, Real Estate Operations (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2012
Great coworkers and professional management equal a positive work environment.
Overall Rating is Excellent in every area
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2012
The Univeristy of Chicago was a very productice and excellent place to work. I enjoyed many years as employee at the University of Chicago.
I liked the teamwork employee attitude.
We worked together to get the job done. Everyone willing to do over and above their job description to get the work done.
Excellent benefits.
Friendly work enviroment. Looked forward to work every day
Secretary and Admin Assist to Chief of Orthopedics (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2012
Lots of phone work with patients, other physicians, and allied health personel, both in the hospital and out. I learned many of my administrative skills there. Management was approachable and open to new ideas. Co-workers were like family members. The hardest part of the job was probably the patient mix (child cancer patients). The most enjoyable part was just being there and enjoying the atmosphere of cooperation and friendship along with getting the job done.
Pros
holiday parties, bonuses
Cons
none that i can think of