The University of Chicago Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Isolating Experience
Temporary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 12, 2018
Working as a temporary part-time research assistant was a strange experience; although it was a freeing job that allowed me to go at my own pace, it was also a terribly isolating job that didn't have room for growth. I was a part of a longitudinal study and never got to know anyone, including my bosses because there was a cult-ish presence that wasn't welcoming towards non-students and non-alums.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
No benefits, wasn't able to work more than 20 hours per week as an external hire
Great University
PhD Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2018
What a great place to work, study and live. Chicago is very affordable and has rather mild winter. I wish it was more windy. Everyone at UofC is relaxed and pleasant to work with.
working as lab tech
Research Support Assistant/full-time (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
My job was routine, somewhat complex, very stressful and I learned a lot there. Unfortunately there were communication issues between the people I provided the product to and management and then on to me. The hardest part was working out the quality of the fly food that I cooked.
Pros
good benefits, excellent paid time off policies
Cons
little chance to put forth my own opinions on how my job could be improved
Productive and professional groups, understaffed departments
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 11, 2017
Administrative restructuring a few years ago has affected how certain departments function and they're still maximizing their efficiency, however everyone is a hard worker and willing to be up to the task. Great workplace culture where everyone wants to help out, but occasionally people are forced more work (double) for no pay increase or overtime. Great opportunities for experience but difficult to find advancement opportunities unless they know you're looking at other institutions. PIs and management are largely fantastic to work with but you simply have to get to know them or work with their tendencies.
Pros
Professional staff, great opportunities for experience
Cons
Departments under-staffed, difficulty to advance, safety, commute
great atmosphere
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2017
Being a part of this environment was stressful at times (there are a lot of higher-ups who demanded a lot), however, it was well worth the work. Very prestigious but open-minded employees.
Pros
Cons
high demand
Great institution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2017
Amazing institution, tons of opportunity for growth. It must be said though that this place is for the intellectually curious only. You will consistently be challenged to improve.
Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 16, 2017
Worked with wonderful people and better supervisors. Open door policy was very helpful. It was a wonderful learning experience for me and helped to prepare me for future careers
ok
Research Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2016
its ok a little disorganized and the HR department is really bad. The health insurance it really expensive and not very good which is surprising since its a hospital.
great summer, terrible winter as in Chicago
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2015
It is a good place to learn things as it's a good University. People here are interesting from different backgrounds. As a RA, your work/life will be largely affected by who is your supervisor.
It is a university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2015
Meet some of the brightest individuals in the world. Create contacts that may last a life time. Working for the University is a true gateway to major opportunities.
Got to work from home
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2014
Basically I was able to work from home which is really nice. I learned how important time management is and keeping a consistent schedule.
Very academic work environment with educational opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2014
Very academic work environment with educational opportunities.
Creative, Productive and Place of Excellence
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisSeptember 29, 2014
The University of Chicago is the one of the most renowned and glorious place to work. It is an ample opportunity for me to work in Neuro-oncology laboratory in Neurosurgery section under Department of Surgery. Every day is exciting here as we used to do various kinds of experiments including flow cytometry, western blotting, tissue culture, PCR, qPCR, Live animal experiment (Mainly Rodents) etc. The work environment is very friendly and cooperative. Our supervisor is very learned and he guides us properly and he makes this lab an excellent learning place. The most enjoyable part here is when we sit for data analysis after any long time experiments and it comes out with new dimensions. Overall this is the best place to build your career and to do science.