The University of Iowa Employee Reviews

Fast Pace and often times stressful environment
Student Employment with procurement services (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 14, 2019
Working in the MOR at UIHC is not for everyone. One is constantly on their feet for a majority of the duration of the shift and should many patients be coming in as emergency cases rather than scheduled in-patient appointments, things can become hectic very quickly. The only upside to the workplace environment is the crew of good people and exceptional management (3rd shift) in MOR. Very rewarding position but very little ability for vertical movement within the department.
Pros
Free flu shots and other vaccines.
Cons
stressful and fast pase
Fun Place
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 13, 2019
Iowa is a nice town to live and the people are great. The work environment is relaxed and everyone is willing to help each other. If I didn't want to leave the midwest so bad I would love to stay.
Pros
Overall a relaxed environment
Cons
Very liberal
Fun and rewarding
CST (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 12, 2019
Working here has brought a lot of situations to my eyes and opened them. I would have never gotten this experience from a smaller hospital setting. Glad I am came here for a career.
Fun workplace
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 9, 2019
A lot of learning opportunities Great benefits and retirement plans. Flexible working hours. Great vacation package and sick leave policy. Opportunity for advancement.
Great Benefits...
Supply Chain Associate (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 7, 2019
Great benefits and they like to keep telling you that and it is part of your wage and why they do not pay very well.
They are getting to the point of being so large that you can get lost in the process and it has become a 'Good 'Ol Boy' type of place to work at.
Benefits
Cons
Low wage
Enjoyable and always learning
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 6, 2019
My time at the U of I was wonderful. I worked in a research lab with a great PI who was encouraging, serious, and inspiring. I also worked as a greenhouse manager on campus. Hands on learning and always meeting new people.
Anti worker hostile environment
Animal Caretaker 1 (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 5, 2019
The mgt at the ui is very poor. They make people mgrs that should never be in mgt to begin with! The work environment is very hostile. They foster favoritism, nepotism and scrutinize everything employees say and do. The mgt investigates staff for frivolous issues. It also nourishes a "do as I say not as I do" attitude. I was a 15 year plus employee so I seen a lot. Staff that had back or other issues were intentionally assigned tasks that would aggravate their conditions. The benefits are good but wages need to increase for the amount of work expected. Getting promoted is a whole another matter as well. If you didn't buddy up to mgt or do their bidding, you don't get promoted. Even you were more qualified, you would be passed over for a promotion. The job would go to someone that is either related to someone in mgt by blood or the person was a "yes man". Also workloads were very disproportionate among staff. Mgt denied this, but it was clear to see what was going on. Some staff was allowed to stand around and watch other people work,or they would hang out in the mgrs office most of the time. The Hr team is pretty much useless and stand by mgt . They are not on the side of employees. I had to file numerous grievances to make points such as safety issues and best practice issues. I had to fight just to get the proper respirators and new safety boots. The ui overall treats staff like a number. It was stated to me that people are waiting in line for these jobs.
Pros
Good benifits and retirement
Cons
Very poor mgt, ridiculous policies terrible treatment of staff
Student Clerk
Student Clerk (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 3, 2019
Work was manageable. I often ran out of tasks to do but that may have been because I was very low on the totem pole.

If you're a student and need a place to work that understands that academics come first, I'd recommend it.
SNICU & NICU College Student Volunteer
Intensive Care Unit (SNICU) College Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAApril 1, 2019
Great opportunity to see various specialties before undergoing extensive training. UIHC is the first volunteer program that I have seen allow this type of autonomy before (without previous experience).
Pros
Learning and experiencing procedures/ medical life
Cons
Restrictions on they type of help that you can provide due to liability protocol
This is a great place to start.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 31, 2019
The CRWC is a great place to start your Personal Training experience. They offer a lot of learning opportunities and clients to build confidence and learn.
solid workplace
Assistant Swim Coach (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 27, 2019
On top of 4 hours a day on the pool deck, I spent 5 hours in the office doing administrative work. I've been in charge of travel coordination, equipment orders, budget planning, etc.
Excellent employer
Epic Senior Instructional Designer & Trainer (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 26, 2019
Great benefits. Highly recommend. Overall job satisfaction varies based on management. Encourage people to grow skill set and move around to expand professional development.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
None.
Pro Nursing
Nurse Clinician (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 24, 2019
I enjoy working at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Nurse's have a voice on what goes on at the UIHC. Nurse's are treated with respect for their knowledge and incite on patient care. You are always opportunities to advance your career.
Pros
Seniority matters
Cons
Parking is always a problem.
Stimulating place to work
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 22, 2019
I loved the learning culture and the constant striving to be the best. There is lots of support and positive feedback from management. The pay was not the best, but the hours were flexible.
Too many changes
Clinical Technician III (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 21, 2019
Started out as the best job I'd ever had. Too many changes due to loss of collective bargaining. Administration immediately jumped on the chance to freeze all salaries and cancel popular insurance plans.
Constant changes in management
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 20, 2019
No two days were the same. At the end there were constant reorganizations and differing rules between the University side and Hospital side. These differences often required doing the same task twice and waiting for one system to catch up with the next. Paying for parking also didn't seem fair, could run as much as $100/month unless you parked in a commuter lot that often would require an additional 30-40 minutes to your travel time.
Pros
Had my own office
Cons
Constant reorganizations
Good work experience
Labor and Delivery Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 19, 2019
Overall I like working at the U and feel I have learned a lot. The issue is the people who run the hospital are more worried about money then keeping nurses and nurse to patient ratios. Managers on my unit are also distant and not good resources.
Productive and goal-oriented
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 18, 2019
Carver College of Medicine holds up to its reputation as a premier school of medicine in the Midwest. The attached University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is a well-equipped and well-staffed for the needs of Midwestern and other patients.
A decent place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 19, 2019
The university of iowa is a fine place to work as a researcher. there is a lot of great research at the university. Decide which lab you work in carefully
Pros
Great health care
Cons
bad location if you do not like college towns
Advancement is difficult
Central Sterilizing Techinican (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 18, 2019
It is a great start to finding a career and gaining benefits but the advancement is hard to come by. There are no yearly raises so you must certify within occupation or find new department to work in that gives out raises for performance.
Pros
Compensated Time
Cons
Co Workers, Manageement, Lack Raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Iowa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The University of Iowa Reviews by Location