The University of Kansas Health System Employee Reviews

Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 12, 2019
Great place to work. However they still focus on the degrees versus your actual knowledge and work experience. This is on the business side of the health system. Someone with a degree does not necessarily have more knowledge then someone who has worked in the industry for 15 plus years
Easy
Patient Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 30, 2019
A typical day at work was easy, yet there was little chance at advancement. Boredom often set in. However, my coworkers were great. All bosses were nice and caring.
KU Health System
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 21, 2019
-6-minute grace period for clocking in and out
-Tuition reimbursement for continuing education
-24-hour cafeterias
-Heavy traffic flow of patients
-Very large work environment
Pros
Good benefits, tuition reimbursement, advancement opportunities
Cons
Bad parking, unfair attendance policy, ineffectual HR department
Backstabbing stressfull nurses act like they're in highschool
Medical Assistant (former employee) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 17, 2019
Run run as fast and far as you can!! The pay is the lowest around Management plays favorites
Training is horrible if something is done wrong its,blamed on the new employee!!
Pros
Cons
management, pay, back stabbing co workers.
Integrated Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 17, 2019
The organization is focused on teamwork and patient experience. The team is eager to assist with tasks to avoid overwhelming each team member. Case management focuses on effective discharge planning and continuity of care for each patient
APRN (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 14, 2019
Great benefits and salaries! Hard to beat PTO accrual and 8 paid holiday vacation days. Matches up to 8.5% in 401K as APRN. $1500 for yearly travel for CEU. Flexible hours/schedules to balance family life.
Pros
time off, paid holidays
Cons
coverage for vacation, collaborating physician agreements
Typical day
Medical Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 10, 2018
Handle admitting tasks for scheduled patients for assigned outpatient departments, Greets patients and/or relatives, Interviews, obtains, and rechecks pertinent patient information, Complies with Medicare/Medicaid and other insurance rules and insurance forms, Identifies insurance plans which need to have a referral.
N/a
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 29, 2018
My clinic is very family oriented making it easier to bond with co workers. The company shows their appreciation for the staff and acknowledges the work and hospitality will contribute for our patients.
A fun place to work
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 26, 2018
Fast pace at time . Over all I learned at lot met alot of good people as well. Need more work hrs and better pay . As well as more benifites and better work equitment.
Pros
M - fr work week
Cons
No breaks or windows.
Awesome
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 26, 2018
I really enjoy working for The University of Kansas Health Systems. There is a lot of hiring from in the corporation. Great benefits, pay, hours. Highly recommend
Pros
pay, magnent recognition
Review Summary
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 14, 2018
A typical day at work was face-paced, friendly, critical and educational based. I learned quite a bit working in a hospital setting. I believe every CNA who plans to work in a hospital after receiving their Nursing degree should work in a hospital before diving in. The set up and things you learn is much different than a nursing home or in home care. The environment at KUMED was vibrant and intriguing. Coming to work was never dreadful - tiring, yes but never dreadful. The hardest part of the job is getting attached to your patients and something happening to them or them having to leave period. It never truly matters what floor you are on, being in the hospital is scary and sometimes your patients can feel alone. Your job as a CNA is to treat your patients as if they're family. Therefore, showing you care as if they're family, will lead you to create a bond with your patient. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make someone's day just by simply fluffing their pillow or helping them walk when they just got out of surgery. Most of the time your patients are so thankful - making yourself feel very important. Also, having a good team and friends makes the job much more fun to come to!
Pros
work environment and good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Very poor poor place to work at
SPANISH PATIENT REGISTRATION REP (Former Employee) –  3901 Rainbow BlvdOctober 31, 2018
Very poor management at the Pediatric clinic which was where I worked. Manager did not care about its employees nor did they care that I had family emergencies with sick kids. They don't take your word into consideration and if you say something they don't like you are in the blacklist.
Great Environment
Family Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 29, 2018
The management is very supportive. The overall camaraderie of the staff is amazing. The Cancer Center is second to none and a great place to learn new skills.
what i do
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 26, 2018
I verify insurance. I help stock supplies. I answer and resolve any conflicts or problems coworkers have. I am a go to person if needed to be somewhere for a fill in. I can do front desk, phones, scheduling, insurance, medical assistant. I never know what I am going to do day to day, so I can scheduled or let people know where to find me.
Clinical Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 25, 2018
Excellent place to work, but doesn't relish in promoting from within on the ambulatory side. In the hospital, the culture of hiring is to promote from within.
Pros
Culture of safety, life/work balance
Hit or Miss
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 15, 2018
Most days were rewarding to work at KU Hospital. As in most workplaces anymore there were politics and some inappropriate practices. Nurse to Nurse comraderie was hit or miss, and as far as a teaching hospital, the physicians were a hit or miss too. Some MDs were awesome to work with and communicated like professionals. At the time when I was employed the atmosphere was to bring in the patients before we had the staffing to accomodate the increased census. I floated all over the hospital and worked as a coordinator - the pay and benefits were good. Management was different than what I was accustomed to in that they were usually gone to meetings and unavailable a majority of the time in both areas that I worked in. Hardest part is the same everywhere, no one focuses on good training anymore. Most enjoyable was learning new procedures, disease processes, but it did require seeking it out rarely did the units provide the education. Most of my education came from posted symposiums and CEU attendance and as I mentioned earlier, seeking information in situations I was exposed to where I was not given the benefit of education.
Pros
Exposure to unique disease processes, learning
Cons
Lack of guidance and training
fast pasted , stressful
Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Westwood, KSOctober 8, 2018
very busy . very stressful … not enough staff for patient care level . . computer system is not user friendly , lots and lots of repeated paper work .
Pros
none apply
Cons
none apply
Decent
CNA and phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 2, 2018
Good teaching hospital, learn a lot. Managers do not care about you or your family, only care about themselves and the money they make. Nurses are wonderful and helpful.
Family first
Admitting representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 21, 2018
KU understands that you have life outside of work and do their best to accommodate that! Pay is fair and areas for advancement is unlimited. It is very hard to get on but once your foot is in the door don't let it go!
Productive Workplace and AMAZING people
PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSSeptember 21, 2018
i worked night shift and it was awesome. You dont work alone! Someone is always around to help you out in the time of need. Everyone pitched in wheather it was their patient or not.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Kansas Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight