The University of Michigan Employee Reviews

Very chilled and nice place to work
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIOctober 16, 2018
I got hired as a student assistant being an international student its difficult to get hired by University of Michigan is very welcoming to International students. Nice place to work and very good and supportive colleagues as well as boss.
Loved the challenged work
Administrative Assistant Senior (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 14, 2018
Fast paced work environment and very versatile. very co-operative co-workers and enjoyed team work. I took pride sometimes working independently, arranging conferences and seminars.
Pros
Event planning
Cons
Parking issues
A Great Hospital and Medical Facility
Part-Time Patient Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 12, 2018
I really enjoyed working at U of M. The management, doctors and staff were awesome. My coworkers were very friendly and knowledgeable and always willing to assist.
Pros
Awesome workplace and Hospital
Cons
Parking
Typical Academic Environment
Research Lab Tech Intermediate, Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 9, 2018
I think most people who enter into academic research know what you are getting into. In this case, things will play out as you expect with opportunity if you choose it.
good place
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 6, 2018
really supportive people that want you to learn a lot and also be challenged. would highly recommend looking for jobs here, especially if you're interested in higher ed.
I enjoyed working part time from my home.
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 5, 2018
I enjoyed working this part time position being involved in interviewing for the various studies regarding social research for the University's research department.
Pros
Working and reporting from home.
Cons
Sometimes having to talk an individual into being a part of the study.
Pros and cons
Maint mechanic Ii (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor , MiOctober 3, 2018
Lack of proper training and advancement opportunities in my particular position. Indoors work was nice , benefits and work place amenities were good. Culture was drastically changing and AFSME workers( as I was) were being pitted against skilled trades more than ever. Hardest part was the new management was expecting too much data collection and not providing time or place for this to be done. The daily tasks were straight forward and enjoyable.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile work enviorment, lack of support from management.
postive
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 20, 2018
This is a good working place and so many resources. everybody was kind and fun. The mentor gives us a lot of freedom to doing own researches. I learned so many things here.
Lab Assistant
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 20, 2018
Pretty slow paced, working usually unsupervised with the direction of the professor. A lot of resources available to use for the research topic you are working on. Can get a little unorganized.
Nice place to work
CONTRACTOR - Washtenaw County Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Nice place to work and real nice people are willing to help out with any problems you have.
Very good employer to work for. Everyone is willing to pitch in to help out.
Pros
good people
Good Benefits
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 17, 2018
I think this is a good place to work, however it is very difficult for advancement unless you change departments within. The benefits here at the U are very good however.
Good Benefits
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 11, 2018
I enjoyed working for the University of Michigan. They have great benefits and a fabulous retirement package. You get days off for Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Love the Matching double for retirement.
Patient Services Assistant/Administrative (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 7, 2018
I would first check the fax server for faxes and sort them. check my providers schedule and the Dr. on call. Answer phones, schedule appointments, triage calls, manage providers calendar's and travel via Concur. Retrieving Np records and image into chart. Check patients insurance, Mail and supply orders.

The hardest part of my job is making sure that I am available to answer phones in a timely manner.
Pros
Flex
Great opportunity to work on a grounbreaking study.
Group Session Proctor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2018
Good, educational workplace. Allowed employees to gain knowledge about social research, including informed consent and participant permission. Knowledgeable managers abound.
The Golden Handcuffs
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2018
Just enough compensation to keep people around... however, the silo culture leads to frustration. Very large organization that tries to unite its work force, but struggles.
Temp. Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2018
Currently working as a temporary research assistant at University of Michigan, so I am not in position to say what exactly the school has to offer in terms of employment.
Stressful. They don’t want to do good just look good.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Main campusSeptember 1, 2018
The hierarchy at the university robs the public blind with their huge salaries and over the top bonuses. All the while taking more away from work force.
Great place
Registered Nurse OB (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 28, 2018
Great place to work and grow. Coworkers are the best anywhere. Benefits are awesome. Retirement are doubled what you put in. This alone keeps staff.
During the 2018 University of Flint Historical interpretation and preservation
Preservation Internship (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIAugust 21, 2018
During the 2018 summer internship which was sponsored by the University of Michigan historical department, included tasks such as cleaning 200-year-old monuments with a solution of non-phosphorus soap conditioner and secondly sprayed with a biodegradable agent to remove years of environmental accumulation. This before mentioned task was the easiest part of the internship process. The team of five individuals including supervisor Dr. Thomas Henthorn utilized a very expensive apparatus to adjust tilted headstone monuments by elevating the headstones in the air and appropriately level the ground beneath with a combination of Pea Stone and concrete gravel. Finally the stone would be lowered into position for final placement at a precisely leveled soiled area.
The many years of experience in the resources I have developed in the building trade successfully added knowledge to the monument preservation factoring. I have countless years in dealing with tile products, wood flooring and various commercial and home improvement installation processes. Additionally I was employed by Shaw industries is a regional sales manager was jobs responsibility was to open new account base of building supply retailers and wholesalers and develop the accounts successfully,
Pros
Punctual project complement.
Cons
Lack of required tools
Overall
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 21, 2018
It was a pleasant time working at The University Of Michigan for the last three summers. It was slow paced but having a great work community helped the time go by.
Pros
Great Co workers
Cons
Slow paced