The University of Michigan Employee Reviews

Found 1,345 reviews matching the search See all 1,351 reviews
Pros and cons
Maint mechanic Ii (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor , MiOctober 3, 2018
Lack of proper training and advancement opportunities in my particular position. Indoors work was nice , benefits and work place amenities were good. Culture was drastically changing and AFSME workers( as I was) were being pitted against skilled trades more than ever. Hardest part was the new management was expecting too much data collection and not providing time or place for this to be done. The daily tasks were straight forward and enjoyable.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile work enviorment, lack of support from management.
Great place to work. Love the people, integration, and the way all employees are treated
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Couzens Hall/ S QuadOctober 23, 2018
I love working there, but it just isn’t in my field of study. Horticulture is my study. I know they do have a great Arboretum, but the amount of time it takes to get anywhere, is way too long. I must say there is quite a lot of confusion between what supervisors want, and what Hunan Resources is minimally needed. This just slows things down, quite a lot. However, I do love working there.
Pros
People, diversity, benefits, independence
Cons
Career advancement
Productive and structured work environment
Unit Custodian/UMH Environmental Svcs (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 7, 2018
Very structured work environment that allows you to start work, complete your assigned task without any missteps. Department leads stayed hands on to keep you updated on changes and new information. Management was always helpful. The hardest part of the job was parking, having to leave home early then most jobs to allow time to find parking then make it to your department in time for your shift to start, The most enjoyable was the workplace culture was supportive and blended that allowed growth to happen.
Pros
very structure, consistent
Cons
parking, parking, parking is expensive
Good job security and benefits
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 30, 2018
People's experience at the University of Michigan is going to depend widely on their department and the administration they work under. My experience was fair-- there was good benefits, people cared about work/life balance, and it was a "safe" environment to express your identities.
As a place of higher education, they're driven by the ability to publish good research. Faculty who do this hold a lot of power. I find this power structure isn't conducive to innovation or thinking about better modes for learning in the classroom. There's a lot of resistance to change.
A good place if you're looking for a stable job that doesn't require much change.
Pros
Stable, good benefits
Cons
Resistant to change
Great Place to Work
Construction/ Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48109October 25, 2018
The University of Michigan is a great place to work with great 403b benefits, good health care and excellent time off. Upper management is paid well and the work environment is great.
Pros
Time off, Health Care, Work Enviornment.
Cons
Long drive from my residence
A wonderful organization to work for.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 3, 2018
This is the best company I have ever worked. I stopped working with them because I have 3 children in a row and the childcare cost was extremle expensive, so I decided to stay home and raise my children
Pros
Adancentment
Cons
Working scchedule
good
RESEARCH LABORATORY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 27, 2018
Good place to work. Reasonable advancement potential and excellent benefits. Leadership is strong and things appear to be moving in the right direction.
Great Place to Work !
Evening Charge Nurse Mott's Children's Hospital (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 5, 2018
Great Teamwork! Great Compensation ! Well organized. Transparent organization. Fabulous leaders and mentors. Encouraged education and advancement opportunities. Supports mission trip engagement. Advocates for employees on a continual basis.
Good Benefits
Custodian I (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 17, 2018
I think this is a good place to work, however it is very difficult for advancement unless you change departments within. The benefits here at the U are very good however.
Excellent employer
Patient Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cancer CenterOctober 17, 2018
University of Michigan Medical Center was a wonderful place to work. Management was willing to listen and assist in providing a great work experience.
Pros
great benefits
The Golden Handcuffs
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 6, 2018
Just enough compensation to keep people around... however, the silo culture leads to frustration. Very large organization that tries to unite its work force, but struggles.
Unique job but not worth the time and hassle.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
UM ISR is an ok job to be apart of, it allows you to have a flexible work schedule but you almost certainly have to work weekdays from 5pm - 10pm and every weekend, you also have to use money out of your own pocket to pay respondents for their participation and always be expected for management to throw you a curve ball. Management gives you goals that are pretty much impossible because you're trying to convince people that want nothing to do with the program to participate and if you don't then you get a poor evaluation as if you're not trying hard enough which isn't the case at all. They will even reduce your hourly pay without your consent and there is nothing you can do about it.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, You get to meet unique people
Cons
Management is not the best, You spend a lot of time driving, You have to use your own money to pay respondents
Constantly changing
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 11, 2018
From the time you walk in you will have something to do. The manager at the time was not very forth coming when it came to training. Hardest part of the job was training in a short amount of time, and then one of my coworkers quit. Most enjoyable part of the job was the health care benefits and flexibility for time off. It is not a bad place to work for, but the transportation system for being bused into work due to limited parking is horrible during winter months.
Pros
Healthcare, and other incentives.
Cons
Busing system and paying for designated parking.
Good work environment
Administrative Assistant Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 25, 2018
Work environment is good, benefits are also decent, but limited opportunities for advancement makes it hard to get ahead. Benefits include 401, medical, dental, vacation time, sick time, and tuition reimbursement/assistance.
Pros
Benefits, vacation, sick time, 401, tuition reimbursement options
Cons
Little to no room for advancement
Consider other options
CMA (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 31, 2018
Look around before applying, management is awful, clinics are clicky, pay is decent but there is no job security, no room for advancement. If you want to further your career I’d look elsewhere
Research Associate
Qualitative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 6, 2018
I was double hired for one position that then asked me to resign when my colleague decided to keep her position, who eventually left the position. I was then rehired for a limited term position and ended up performing tasks not listed in the original post as requested by my supervisor and manager, and was then let go after 4 months of work. Difficult people to work with, with often expectations becoming inconsistent.
Pros
Benefits are great, challenges are offered with opportunities to advance
Cons
Culture and teams are sometimes difficult and variable from position to position
Very good benefits but lower than average salary.
Room Service Guest Assistant Level II (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 9, 2017
Currently work in PFANS. A good stepping stone as it it hard to get hired in. As stated above, benefits are hard to beat anywhere, especially the medical and retirement. Work culture in my department is good among peers, especially in the evenings.

Management is so-so. Slow to get things done and you would have to do something particularly egregious to get fired. Which means people that should have been let go a long time ago still have a job. The upper level management seems to take very little interest in the call center unless something "drastic" happens (see the second sentence of this paragraph).
Great benefits, decent pay
Nope (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 11, 2018
The benefits at U of M are amazing, the pay for most lower-mid level positions isn't high enough to afford living in super-expensive Ann Arbor, which is why the freeways are jammed coming into town during rush hour. The opportunities for advancement depend on the position and department, some great, some not.
Mixed bag
Patient Services Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 8, 2018
I really enjoy working with my patients and coworkers. Knowing that you are helping sick people feel better is very rewarding. The benefits are very good, though pay is a little low. Nepotism is rampant and getting ahead without changing departments is very difficult. Don't expect to get opportunities based on hard work and learning new skills. Which department you work in usually decides your job satisfaction. Some departments are great, and others are awful. In my current department, I have had four different managers in under five years. Parking at the main campus is a pain, but it's fine at the satellite clinics. I would still recommend working here because of the benefits, stability for regular employees, and the fact that there isn't much else available in the region if you want to make a living wage.
Pros
Benefits, friendly coworkers, meaningful work
Cons
Few opportunities to advance, unstable leadership
Depends upon department
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 6, 2018
The U can be a really great place if you get in with fair people. The interesting thing is that you can get some great training. On the flip side there is sort of a culture that can pretend to be very open and welcoming. But I found it to be very narrow in scope. There were a lot of subtle prejudice i experienced. If you had any kind of religious faith you were laughed at. But like I said I am sure with the place as big as this there is a lot of room to move around. So there are good places and not so good to work. I would like to go back if f i would find a calm group of people and the parking was better. Too much baloney
Benefits
Cons
very big at times with an overwhelming culture