The University of Michigan Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Found 1,300 reviews matching the search See all 1,305 reviews
Not all it appears to be
Administrative Assistant and Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 1, 2018
Be aware of what’s going on with your department .
Ask as many direct questions as you are comfortable with asking until you find out what you want to know. Often you will discover later on that had you asked the right questions, you may not have made the choice that you made.
Pros
Local discounts
Cons
Equity doesn’t exist
The environment is highly dependent on which lab you are in.
Graduate Student Researcher: Kopelman Lab (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 31, 2018
The specific environment is dependent on the lab, but the University as a whole is supportive with many programs to assist PhD students. The whole University is more collaborative than competitive, so you can share your ideas without intense fear of having the ideas stolen. There are exceptions, but there always are.
Fast paced at times and slow paced at times
Data Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 31, 2018
Everyone who worked there was friendly and very helpful. They weren’t scared to teach you new things. I learned a lot of different things working there. It wasn’t stressful but when it was busy it was crazy!
Pros
All of the supervisors and above were all amazing people
Cons
Parking 20 mins plus away sucks
Consider other options
CMA (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 31, 2018
Look around before applying, management is awful, clinics are clicky, pay is decent but there is no job security, no room for advancement. If you want to further your career I’d look elsewhere
Cons
Pleasant and caring environment.
Nurse's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 29, 2018
University of Michigan was an excellent place to work. I enjoyed providing patient care. This was an excellent environment for me to learn in. I learned a plethora of things in this environment.
Fine, but sometimes stressful.
IT Helpdesk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 25, 2018
My position was. I was under the impression by my recruiter that they'd be willing to extend me and potentially hire me as a regular employee. The university's process for this is really roundabout and unclear. They definitely prefer to promote from within. I was told directly by a manager that many departments don't have funding to bring on many regular employees. A majority of their workforce are students and alumni, the other 70% are contract. It is possible to be hired in, but I've been told it can take anywhere from 2 - 5 years. Many times even longer. There's also lots of bureaucracy. And, likewise, people heavily stressed by that bureaucracy. The inner workings of the university can be very confusing upon entry. I've had many days of playing phone tag.
Pros
Many helpful, approachable people.
Cons
Contract. Unlikely FTE.
Collaborative and supportive environment for learning
Graduate Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed working with a diverse group of people who were supportive and collaborative and were flexible with my commitments as a graduate student. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students understand the information and put forth their best effort to learn.
University of Michigan - Flint
Stroke Ready Peer Health Educator (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 24, 2018
The University of Michigan-Flint is a very small campus that gives the university an intimate feeling. There are lots of very dedicated educators.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with and helping students.
Pros
Great Health Benefits
Cons
Majority of staff and faculty not residents of the city
It is a good place to study
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 20, 2018
- Active environment
- Very good sport facilities
- Very bad weather
The U of M is a great place to work
Data Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 20, 2018
I worked in the University of Michigan's Office of Undergraduate Admissions on a contract assignment. I'm fortunate that I was there with a really good group of people. The department manager was extraordinary and I would gladly work there again.
Great Graduate School
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2018
Plenty of room for growth as a student and scientist. Wonderful professors and faculty. Tons of collaborative projects between computational chemists and experimental chemists.
Pros
The people, opportunities, collaborative environment
Cons
Winters are cold.
Best place
Cook 1 (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 17, 2018
Very negotiable and understanding. Helpful and resourceful. Lots of room to grow and encourage training on the job and off. Good salary and benefits and discounts.
Preceptor to Upcoming Pharmacists
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 16, 2018
This is very rewarding helping to train and get the students ready for their professional careers. Keeps my knowledge fresh as well, and the students are wonderful to work with.
Pros
interacting wth students
Cons
non
Unique job but not worth the time and hassle.
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
UM ISR is an ok job to be apart of, it allows you to have a flexible work schedule but you almost certainly have to work weekdays from 5pm - 10pm and every weekend, you also have to use money out of your own pocket to pay respondents for their participation and always be expected for management to throw you a curve ball. Management gives you goals that are pretty much impossible because you're trying to convince people that want nothing to do with the program to participate and if you don't then you get a poor evaluation as if you're not trying hard enough which isn't the case at all. They will even reduce your hourly pay without your consent and there is nothing you can do about it.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule, You get to meet unique people
Cons
Management is not the best, You spend a lot of time driving, You have to use your own money to pay respondents
Human Resource Assistant Senior (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 13, 2018
The University of Michigan is a great company to work for with deep resources and co-workers who are on top of their game. I really enjoyed my time there and learned a lot that has benefited my career greatly.
Pros
Onsite gym and cafeteria
Cons
When i was there the HRIS system needed to be updated
face paced
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIJuly 11, 2018
U of M was a good place to work.After 20 years of employment, I wanted to try something different in my life and decided to leave to explore different careers.
Absolutely fantastic.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 11, 2018
I had an independent research position, which I absolutely adored. Would 100% recommend applying to UROP. I set my own hours and worked on research I was very happy to be doing.
Productive and safe working environment
RESEARCH FELLOW AT UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 11, 2018
The university of michigan is a great place to be for anyone who is pursuing research with more than 1 billion dollar flowing into research per year. It is a safe and enjoyable working environment with tremendous resources available to everyone.
Great Place for Interns
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 7, 2018
I had a wonderful research internship at the University of Michigan. Ann Arbor is a gorgeous location during the summer, complete with nature and plenty of restaurants and clubs. My mentor and PI were geniuses, and so kind and helpful.
fantastic Work environment
Administrative/Project Coordinator, ITS Operations (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 5, 2018
Terrific work environment. Great staff of management and non management. Fantastic pay, 403b program, all the bells and whistles.
Loved it there, sad to retired early. Left at 60 would have hung around until at least 66