The University of Michigan
4.3

The University of Michigan Employee Reviews

United States1,649 reviews
Found 1,649 reviews matching the search
Great workplace for companionship and communication
We all work together very closely and make work feel as if it is not stressful at all. In the event that something was going on personally at home with one of our coworkers we would even assist them outside of work.
Many good managers
Northville Health Center has a high employee turn over rate. Management does not appreciate employees and seems most interested in making the facility profitable. What a shame for a heath organization. Other facilities within the organization I have interviewed with seem to have better managers in place, who demonstrate a balance between all factions that produce a a great working environment and profitable bottom line.
Interesting, but no support from field supervisors.
Its an hourly position, it has door to door sales like aspects to it,better if you are an older white lady,any other demographic depending on your area, people will call the police on you.
Pros
Remote, Interesting
Cons
No support, sales like job
Very fun place to work, they treat their employees very well
Working at Michigan Medicine has been a very pleasurable moment. The work environment is very rewarding, Knowing that you are making a difference in someone's life is amazing! the culture of being a Team is good encouragement to want to do more out of life. The management is Awesome they are truly there to help you threw life's struggles and have a solution to many problems, you can almost always count on management to be there for you in your time of need. The hardest part of working at Michigan Medicine is leaving the patients behind to go home, you go home with them heavy on your mind or carry them in your heart.
Interesting place to work
Depending on what department you're in, it can be a wonderful place to work. I was unfortunately not in one of those departments. Managers are the same - some are great; others are terrible. It's really a hit or miss situation. I recommend that applicants talk to the other people in the department to get an idea for the working environment.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Terrible place to work if your disabled
People sleep on the job. One man ran over a student and rather than being punished he was rewarded. Now he makes 10000 more a year.
If your disabled all you can get is a low end entry level position like a custodian. They are unwilling to make accommodations for disabled people in their Ewok training program.

They allow employees to discriminate against others who are disabled.
Good place to start a career
The university of Michigan is a good place to start a career and learn to work well with others learn new things how a hospital works

to p rov

aaanworkinwothers
Pros
Learn to work with others
Great Benefits & Job Security
Not much available in the way of position advancement or earning potential.

Great management.

Varied learning opportunities

Great healthcare benefits

Decent retirement planning & matching
Work with an outstanding group of mission driven people
My job is for the most part pretty basic, but also challenging in that it requires using a lot of different mental, emotional and physical skills. the people I work with area awesome, they care deeply about the students education and keeping the University a major resource for the community.
A lot of work
The research culture at UMich is cyclic, in that there is a style of writing papers, collecting data, and so on. While it might not be intellectually stimulating all the time, it is always busy.
Inconsistency
I’ve worked for the organization for many years. Supervision and HR are very inconsistent in policy and support, making it a very frustrating and stressful place to work. The organization is continually expanding. They do not seem to plan very well for this expansion often leaving areas poorly staffed with inexperienced workers as the good, experienced staff leave for a better, less stressful environment
Excellent Benefits
The tuition reimbursement program and 2:1 retirement matching were both excellent benefits that were given in addition to the quality health insurance.
I worked as Graduate Resarch Assistant for almost 2 years
Pros

Flexible time, diverse background, top-class research, smart people all around, good entrepreneurship spirits, beautiful campus, awesome football team, good food in the city

Cons

This is a very nice university with really nice faculty and staff. I can think of no cons in this university. If there is, it must be that it is not the best from the perspective of ranks, say US news.

Advice to Management

I can think of no advice to management. Keep the good work.
Management is horrible
Unless you have a masters forget working here! They think very little if the workforce.

The supervisors are terrible. It’s the training. They do not treat employees right. They have reach out programs that do nothing; if you can reach one they just shuffle you off.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Horrible supervisors and management
Fantastic!
Every manager I’ve had in the nine years I’ve been here was supportive and offered several opportunities to grow. My opinions were valued and considered. I would recommend Anyone to work here. Benefits are excellent! Would like more opportunity to work from home, but being that U-M is a great employer!
Fantastic
Best job I'll ever complain about. Top pay and benefits, great working environment, set hours, and likely the best job I'll ever have. Can't say enough.
nice
nice place to work there
nice people there and good benefit

good universityyyy

Michigan has bad weather

very cold

bad traffic

small town

boring city
most enjoyable part of the job
Laboratory personnel are team oriented and a joy to work with. There is much turnover due to this being a teaching lab in which employees further their experience and skill.
Undergrad @ Michigan
I had a great undergrad experience at the University of Michigan. I never worked there, but my time as an undergrad helped me improve on time management, research strategies, and communication.
Productive and happy place
I learned to manage time as it is my first internship in the united states. The workplace was so good and they provide flexible working hours and remotely sometimes.
Demanding but energizing place to work
Michigan is a place that has high expectations but gives the support you need to meet those demands. In addition, it is a family-friendly place to work and also a place that encourages innovative thinking.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight