The University of Michigan Employee Reviews

Found 1,383 reviews matching the search See all 1,391 reviews
Fun working place
Student Life HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 14, 2019
I worked as student life HR assistant which was very fun. I learned a lot about professionalism and HR administration. It helped me grow as a professional
Diverse work environment.
Building Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 13, 2019
Great benefits. Many job opportunities. Very diverse working environments. Opportunities for advancement and promotions. Campus Housing Department has several different specialized departments such as Facilities (Houskeeping and Maintenance), Dining Services and Residence Education.
Overall Pleasant Company
Lead Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 12, 2019
Pleasant company to work for. Management was readily available. Full job responsibilities were not clear from beginning and more and more responsibility and time commitment was gradually added and mandated, making a part time job difficult to maintain.
UM Teacher Education Program challenging and rewarding
Lecturer IV, Education Studies (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 9, 2019
Working in the University of Michigan Teacher Education program is both challenging and rewarding. The preservice teachers are dedicated to becoming successful educators who have a positive impact on their students.
Pros
many resources available
Cons
demanding schedule and amount of paperwork
Productive and Fun
Student Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 8, 2019
I spent a fair amount of my time working in the Randall Physics Labs on central campus, and I had gotten a job during the school year working with some of my friends. For a campus job, it was pretty solid, and the boss was pretty nice. Also, the hours were ultra flexible.
Pros
Ultra flexible hours
Good
Research Assistant in Bioinformatics Core (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 6, 2019
I am doing a part-time job here. My supervisor and colleagues are super nice. The salary is a bit low, but I guess getting more experience is more important.
Morale and Culture Damaged
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 2, 2019
When I started at UM-Flint several years ago, staff were positive, supportive, and proud of their work. When asked what I like most about my work, I used to answer "the people." Due to changes in leadership (Chancellor and senior leadership) morale has been severely damaged and irresponsible spending (an entire building we can't afford to renovate and make usable,) most departments and programs are drastically underfunded. Sudden, unexplained changes in structure, funding reductions, and lack of respect toward employees have caused many valued, long-term staff to leave. Those that stay face uncertainty as we never know whether we'll get the funding we need or which positions may be suddenly eliminated or reassigned. Nepotism runs deep and those in the right circles circumvent rules to serve their own agendas. The university has changed from a great place to work to a large, impersonal institution ruled by fear and intimidation.
University of Michigan
MSW Internship (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 27, 2019
The greatest place to work, especially if you're still in school. Thanks to the guidance and resources provided to me there isn't anything that I can't do.
Environment of last job
Travel and Expense Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  1000 Victors Way Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 19, 2019
My last job was not a healthy work atmosphere. Very stressful and not a good fit for me. Which is why I'm looking for a new job now.

When I worked for the Materiel Services Department; which is spelled materiel not material due to services that the department provided. I really enjoy that department because they gave their employees the opportunity for growth. My supervisor retired and the department went in a new direction unfortunately.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad management in some departments
fun workplace
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 18, 2019
working with students and professors are amazing and fun. I had the chance to finish my degree and work at the same time. Working as math tutor and mentor gave me the chance to apply what I study to the job.
Good working environment and collaborative colleagues
Lab technician and lab manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 16, 2019
My 15+ years of work experience at the University of Michigan left me a lot of wonderful memories. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting the chance to collaborate with colleagues from different parts of world. Besides making progress through our hard work, I enjoyed learning about the beauty of their cultures like the gorgeous scenes of their countries, their delicious food, their unique family traditions and so on. I gained first hand of knowledge about our world without leaving home and this experience has enriched my personal life.
All depends on the manager
Staff (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 12, 2019
If you have a good manager, the UM is great. Unfortunately, most managers are also Faculty. The faculty are not trained as managers and it shows. When not dealing with faculty, everything moves at the speed of the University which can be amazingly frustrating. Training is through experience and listening to the old-timers; there's no way to know who you need to talk to about anything without developing a network of contacts who can point you in the right direction.
Great
Student Dentist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 10, 2019
Great school and I learned alot from it however it all depends on each person with their own success. Each person will get the result of their own hard work
A very nice place to work with so many warmhearted people
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 6, 2019
The work environment is pretty nice and I have a wonderful time here. My supervisor is friendly and gives me so many valuable technical guidance. The life is also fantastic.
Great
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborFebruary 6, 2019
I worked at the university as a graduate student in research and teaching capacity and had a great experience. Staff are very responsive and caring, fellow students are very friendly and faculty are experts in their field and make great mentors.
Excellent benefits and great team work
ANESTHESIA TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 3, 2019
In my department, we work together as a team. Everyone has each other in their best interest. If a coworker is falling behind, someone will volunteer and step in to help out. Our manager really goes far and beyond to accommodate days off request, schedule request as well as walk around the unit to check to see if she can help out in anyway.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short unch breaks
Not a whole lot to say really, just an internship
Procurement Intern (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 1, 2019
I wish Indeed did not for these job reviews. I don't have a whole lot to say about my internship as it was a short lived experience. No complaints..
Good
Math Grader (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 27, 2019
They have made everything electronic so you can grade assignments wherever you want. That's a big plus. Also make use of the giant monitor in Duderstadt to make my life easier. The hourly rate is not very high.
Temporary Work
Career Exploration Section Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 23, 2019
I worked part time during college for the University of Michigan. It was a great experience but many of these review questions do not apply to the work and role I had with the UofM.
Productive and Encouraging working culture
Research Assistant, Biostatistics Department (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 23, 2019
Working as both a Research Assistant and Graduate Student Instructor at U of M essentially perfectly filled my schedule. Everyday I spent a couple of hours working on building statistical model for research, grading student's homework while also taking several classes to finish my master's degree.

I was thrilled to receive offers for these positions and continue to feel enriched by working with a fast-paced yet friendly faculty and researchers. I had meetings twice a week and most of the time I gained new insight from my supervisors and had truly positive working experiences.
Pros
Flexible working hours, productive meetings, healthcare
Cons
Weather condition