The University of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

Great environment for a student worker
Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIOctober 6, 2018
I had an awesome boss, I worked in a beautiful building (College of Biological and Life Sciences) and was able to get some homework done when I needed.
Pros
you pick your own schedule.
Research and Development
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIOctober 5, 2018
I found working under a professor was amazing, it showed me a lot of what the real world is going to be like. 10/10 recommend to take an opportunity like this in the future.
Na
Research and Contracting Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RISeptember 26, 2018
Good place to work, great fellow workers.However, thought that joining a union was a waste of time, there was never any meetings and/or added benefit, they just collected your dues and went about their own business.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
State funded- still great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIAugust 9, 2018
As an academic institution funding can be lackluster at times. However, depending on which department you are working/teaching for can make all the difference. Great culture, affordable part of Rhode Island to reside in as well as growing and expanding the school. Of note, URI has the lowest endowment of any public flagship state university.
Undergraduate research
Research Analyst & Undergraduate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJuly 21, 2018
I completed an independent research project on the spatial and temporal distribution of shellfish larvae in Greenwich Bay RI. I designed, conducted and researched the data on SAS program.
Busy, fast paced
Cook's helper (Former Employee) –  U.R.I. CampusJuly 21, 2018
Fast paced, busy, good money for part time work, easy going recipe guides, clean environment, payment on time, possibility of promoting to higher positions within the campuses.
Instruction of Future Military Officers
Chair, Department of Military Science (ROTC) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJuly 1, 2018
ROTC gives the university student an opportunity to see if military service would be a good fit without the pressure of making a commitment. Many students opt to seek a commission as an Army officer as a result of their ROTC experience.
Fun place to work with friends
Intramural Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJune 11, 2018
Intramural is a great way to make money will still interacting with your friends especially for people who are very interested in sports and athletics. Hardest part sometimes can be refereeing your friends because things can get heated
Great place to start a career
Database Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Department of PharmacyJune 3, 2018
The University has fantastic support for students needing to gain hands-on work experience after taking the required courses. I will be building a database from start to finish and utilizing my experience working with pharmacy staff from CVS as well as my experience working with non-technical clients from New England Give Camp.
Pros
Awesome encouragement
Cons
Extra work to find needed resources
Uri
Graduate Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIJune 3, 2018
I was a graduate assistant football coach. GA's make very little money and work constantly. It's a grind but it's the only way to get your foot in the door to becoming a college position coach. After the whole staff was fired after one season of me being there, I decided that I didn't want to move every year to take a new job at a new school somewhere in the country. I wanted to settle down and have a family somewhere and being a college football coach is a tough career if you want to have a family.
Great job for work study
Sales Associate/ Course Materials (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 17, 2018
I like working here because they accommodate with your academics and are pretty lenient. They have taught me so much while working here and gave us a 10% discount on URI merchandise.
Productive work environment
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 16, 2018
Promotes education and research. Encourages the staff to increase engagement with the students to aid in the learning experience. The organization could improve upon it communication with the staff.
Calm and educational
Costume Constructor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMay 9, 2018
Every task had a different required skill and understanding, so the management made sure to be clear and concise. The atmosphere was quite and relaxed.
Great opportunity for graduate students
Rhode Island (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandMay 1, 2018
Being a graduate student Teaching Assistant is a great option for a graduate student. The work is done along with your own classes and the pay/benefits are wonderful. Highly recommend looking into!
Pros
tuition waiver, pay
Cons
workload
Excellent Academic Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 11, 2018
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistantships were great experience and way to support doctoral research and education. Great support within the department and overall a very positive working environment.
Learned a lot
Hydrology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIApril 2, 2018
I worked at URI as a student and for a summer after I graduated. It was a positive work experience and taught me many field and lab skills while working on research projects.
Structured work enviroment
Part-time Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMarch 18, 2018
Well run kitchen that know how to designate tasks and get stuff done. They train us to be hard working individuals who are task oriented that are determined and driven to get the job done.
Unable to assess the present work environment.
Assistant Marine Scientist (Former Employee) –  Narragansett, RIMarch 7, 2018
Since I left the University of Rhode Island almost 40 years ago, I cannot comment on the current work environment, nor the present administration. I encourage those applying for jobs to contact potential peers for opinions on the present work environment.
Variety of work of all kinds and enjoyable to meet others
Senior Word Processing Typist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, RIMarch 7, 2018
please see review on resume.

How to manage all types of information
Workplace culture changed each day.
The hardest part of the job none that I can think of
The enjoyable part was the interacting of all kinds of people.
Pros
Consistency of management
it's fine
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, RIMarch 1, 2018
Overall it is a pretty good place to work. The people are nice. The lab is very nice. The whole building is relatively new so all of the equipment and facilities are in good condition.
Pros
relaxed schedule
Cons
boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Rhode Island. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss