The University of Southern MIssissippi Employee Reviews

good for a student
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 17, 2018
This job is good for students looking to make money while also doing their homework. A relaxed, stress free environment allows employees to do their job while also focusing on studies.
Pros
work study
Cons
not a lot of money
Very good experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSApril 6, 2018
Though there is a lack of organization, my overall experiences at the University of Southern Mississippi was good. I learned so much and enjoyed my time as an employee.
Nice working environment, not good enough pay
Resident Assistant/Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 30, 2018
My typical day as an RA is working the desk for 2 hours and then working throughout the residence hall for the rest of the day. Through this job I've learned that I'm more of a hands on person. My manager was somewhat helpful and the atmosphere provided a nice working environment. The hardest part about this job is that there is no separation of work and home. I live in the residence hall, so I'm technically at work 24/7. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all sorts of people from different parts of the country.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
no separation of work and home
Graduate Student
Instructor/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 28, 2018
While graduate students make low pay at USM, it is a joy working there. Most of the professors are there to help and mentor you. I learned how to be a better teacher through their program.
Resident Assistant Job
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 28, 2018
The job can be stressful but mostly because you are balancing the job with school. The staff is professional and always responds to questions and comments in a timely manner.
Tele-counselor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 23, 2018
Great working environment for a college student. Flexible hours and good pay. Managers and co workers were very kind and happy to help with whatever need be.
My summary
Network Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 19, 2018
It has been an overall good experience due to co-workers and flexible hours. Work comes in "waves". Work can be high demand at time and with lulls that can last a few weeks at a time.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
little direction with expectation of results
Good place to work.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSFebruary 18, 2018
The workplace culture is good with flexible work hours. Supervisors are dedicated to professional development. If you like to be in a lifelong learning environment, this is an ideal place.
Resident Assistant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 30, 2018
Working for the Department of ResLife was an awesome experience and I would recommend it to anyone. My Professional Staff was awesome and encouraging.
Usm sam program
Student Academic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJanuary 8, 2018
It's a great starter job for undergraduates looking to make a little extra money. Must be will to communicate with other and assist students in academics.
Pros
flexable hours
Cons
only work 10 hours a week
Great teaching and learning environment
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, MSJanuary 8, 2018
On a typical day, I would advise students, approve new applicants, prepare classes, serve on committees, and teach classes.
I learned that leadership and growth are possible.
Management was friendly and helpful
The workplace culture was very friendly and helpful
I can't think of a hard part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students succeed.
Pros
Teaching, advising, serving and leading committees.
Cons
No cons
my ratings apply to one department
private. (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 6, 2017
I cannot get specific, but the department I was in was very unsupportive of some employees. It did not matter how good your work was or how much others in other departments liked and recognized your work. If you were hired by the previous boss you could count on being driven out by false accusations. They are very unethical in many ways, but the worst is that they smear your reputation after you leave. You are then left in a position where you are defending yourself against these accusations made by someone with power and you lose.
Pros
loved the job
Cons
poor management from top two people
Good as a reseacher
Ph.D Researcher (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSNovember 6, 2017
Good place for polymer science and Engineering studies. Lots of expensive equipments and easy accesible! Professors open to talk and discuss with students regarding their ideas
Athletic Department
Certified Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 18, 2017
Had an excellent time working in the athletic Department. Good people on the support staff. Not respected as much by coaches, but enjoyed my time with the athletes.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay
Creates a mental strain
University staff (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSOctober 3, 2017
Very stressful job. Supervisors police employees instead of managing them. Expectations are not conveyed which leaves no room for increased performance. Supervisors are not very courteous, in fact they are degrading and vindictive.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
mental strain
Salaries needed to be increased.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 5, 2017
I enjoyed working with my colleagues and the President who as there when I worked their was wonderful. I simply just did not feel that I was being paid well enough based on my education and experience.
Pros
Good people with whom I worked.
Cons
Salaries were too low for a state university.
Serious Working environment
Assistant Travel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 8, 2017
A typical day at the office begins by checking emails and responding to voice mails. Throughout the entire day I am reimbursing domestic travel for students, staff, and faculty. I scan vouchers and file them.
I have learned that in this job it is extremely important to pay attention to documentation. The culture in the office is very professional and quite. The hardest part of my job is knowing state requirements for travel reimbursements and why. The most enjoyable part of my job is reimbursing people in a timely manner.
Pros
Holidays Off
Cons
No room for advancement
Good university with a reputation as one of the top polymer research institute
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSAugust 2, 2017
University of Southern Mississippi is located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi which is in the south coast of United States. Weatherwise, it is a nice pleasant place not too cold- not too hot.The place is a very much affordable for a student with the availability of all the basic necessity. The school does research in many advanced areas but the work in never very stressful as the schedule is very flexible along with supportive colleagues, staff members and supervisors.
Student
Private Urgent Intervention Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 9, 2017
I was a student at USM while working as a tutor for a class. It was such a great experience working with at risk and urgent intervention students. It wasn't a paying job, but I gained a lot of experience.
Very Productive Place
Orchestral Musician (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 20, 2017
As an orchestral musician working to obtain scholarship services, I throughly enjoyed working for the University of Southern Mississippi. I gained many skills that will remain with me for a lifetime.

-A.P.
Pros
Great music
Cons
Extensive hours