The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Employee Reviews

I left and came back and so did many others
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
The grass is not always greener believe me. I left this institution and came back after realizing that other institutions may be closer to home, but no one can match the benefits and resources you have at your fingertips with an institution of this size.
Positive environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 3, 2018
I worked as a temporary employee as a travelling registered nurse, I worked on a surgical oncology unit, the unit staff was positive and the unit manager was positive.
Growing/learning experience
Sr. Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2018
It was an amazing experience. I believe this hospital is doing amazing findings for people who need it. Every department is different and I think good management contributes/influences a company in a great measure.
management
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  1515 holcome, tx 77030March 5, 2018
we have perfect workplace culture in MD Anderson. everybody including office and manager were very nice each other. we can find receive all support we need on time
Very Competitive and stressful
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2018
Some managers get hired into a management position without the credentials or the experience, cannot lead if you don't know how to lead. This can only make the stress level worse. Not sure that HR recruitment is there to help because of previous instances where my application never got to the hiring manager, even though, once submitted you can review the stages your application is in. And contacted the hiring manager about interviews after seeing my application was in review, only to find out that the manager never received it. Communication is like being in a silo, we are told that everything is relayed to be transparent. The workload is very stressful and the tension is high with just about everyone you talk to. This use to be a great place to want to work, but the opportunity for advancement is getting slimmer and more stressful because of layoffs.Trust is something that I value and its no longer here.
Pros
Competitive Pay, Pto, Health benefits
Cons
High stress level, competitive, opportunities, and untrained managers.
Great company to work for.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
Great company to work for, excellent nice friendly staff. Take pride in what they do. They're service is #1 in the country when it comes to friendly service & excellence in making Cancer history.
Benefits
Cons
No overtime
Great work/life balance.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2018
Working within hospital administration allows for an individual to have a great work/life balance. Most employees in the office work an 8 a.m. -5 p.m. shift.
Cons
Advancement is rare.
You can see the changes you are working towards
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2018
As a support staff you quickly realize how vital your role is in facilitating the researchers and clinical staff so that may do their job in curing cancer(s). The "red tape" you are able cut through to apply and manage funding opportunities have a direct impact on the success of each investigator's lab. To see an idea go from words on a paper to grant, to protocol to translational bench to clinic is absolutely amazing.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Parking is expensive.
Clinical Cell Therapy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2018
Management needs to improve.
Great learning experience
No growth
No life/job balance
Organization is good, some a lot departments better than others.
My Review
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2018
A Day in a Life of patient access specialist , is not hard at all at Md Anderson, just have poor management. I live different skills since I been at Md Anderson, which is awesome. the culture is great and meet people from all over the world. the hardest part of the job , is just basically working your hardest in everything you and don't get any credit or you doing a great job. the most enjoyable part is making cancer history.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
hard to move up in a different postion, Sometimes I feel upper managemnt stops you from getting a position
SR Human Resources Service Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Great learning opportunities, good benefits, amazing staff, and diverse culture.

Various employee opportunities to advance, learn, staff development, open communication with management and good balance of work and personal growth.
I really liked the people and culture
Applications Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2018
MD Anderson has bad management that really keeps them from reaching there fullest potential . I really enjoyed working there and was there for 10 years but was let go because of bad management over spending.
Pros
There mission
Cons
management
It was a great internship
Student-Extern, Radiation Oncology (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2018
It was a great internship, but I know that I would rather work for Methodist in the end. Anderson is very cut throat and quick to fire, I didn’t want that.
Stressful Enviroment
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJanuary 9, 2018
Because off the culture that is allowed their I WOULD Never work there again. There are people their that are allowed to mistreat coworkers verbally without any repercussion. If you complain the supervisor tells these people and then your black listed and just mistreated more. There is a lot of misuse of company materials and time .
Did not make enough money
Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 3, 2018
I myself left because I was not making enough money to support myself. Work day is slow and you are usually by yourself. Get scheduled lunches and breaks.
Synergy and great coordination among employees and management
Grants & Contracts Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Great work environment, management team is highly professional and go extra mile to help employees to achieve their goals by providing them necessary tools and understanding of the what is expected of them.
N/a
Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2017
Great place to work. Learn a great deal of things. Will bring out the best in you everyday. I learned about managing time and being as productive and efficient as possible
Happy to Work Here
Program Manager - Office of Health Policy (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
I have been a Program Manager at MD Anderson Cancer Center for over 4 years. I have enjoyed my time here and hope to stay for many more years. Opportunity for advancement is a little limited but most people have been here for many years.
It was a great job
Clinical Nurse Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2017
It provided a great learning experience. I felt connected to the vision and mission of MD Anderson, which is an important part of their screening process for all employees.
Inspirational opportunities to support the fight against cancer.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2017
MD Anderson Cancer Center is what you make it. Like any large institution, each department's management defines the experience for their employees. I was fortunate to work with some of the best management teams MD Anderson has to offer.
Pros
Excellent pay & benefits, wonderful colleagues
Cons
Cost of parking and lunches, distance from home