The University of Texas System Employee Reviews

Needs a Culture Shift
Communications - Office of Employee Benefits (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2018
There are lots of nice people at UT System with a genuine desire to make a difference. Unfortunately, bureaucracy and politics make this very difficult. System is very adverse to change and it kills innovation. Employees are taught to keep their heads down and avoid rocking the boat. If you are in a creative or technology role, you will be frustrated by the red tape.

I ended up leaving this position because I felt underutilized and bored. Most of my coworkers who left the office did so for the same reason. Management was too removed and didn't understand the true culture of the office environment, nor did they want it to change. My office was known for having a very cliquey management team that created a division between management and staff. Concerns raised to management were generally swept under the rug while I was there, so it felt almost impossible to address any issues. I was told by my coworkers that this is the way management deals with problems and my only option was to leave.

If it's important for you to feel like you are making progress in your career and that you are being empowered in your job, I can't recommend you work here. You will end up feeling frustrated and irritated by the culture. There are some positions where people feel happy in their roles... it depends greatly on the role and what your career goals are and who you are reporting to... there were some really great managers in my office and also some really bad ones. There doesn't seem to be much management training.
Pros
Health Care Benefits, Work-Life Balance
Cons
Poor Management, Lack of Career Advancement Opportunities
Politics instead of scholarship
Assistant Professor of Modern Languagesi (Former Employee) –  El Paso and Odessa, TexasMay 11, 2018
Working with the students was a pleasure. Satisfying many in the administration was not. The heavily-charged political atmosphere made it difficult to function.
Productive and growing
Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 12, 2018
So fat UT System Administration has been a good place to work with opportunity to learn and share. Benefits are very good and work/life work balance is nice as well.
Learning experience
Construction Inspector II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78701April 12, 2018
On Site overall construction Coordinator. Provided construction Management and quality control support and services to various design-build projects. I learned Fire Life Safety Codes and Security systems and life Safety 101. The hardest part was long hours during concrete pours. The Most enjoyable was flexible hours and my own boss.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Long hours and some weekends
Great location, great people
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 27, 2018
Fun job. Good people. Political atmosphere. Great pay and benefits. If you can get a job here, go for it. It's a place where many employees stay until their retirement.
Pros
Pay, benefits, holidays
Cons
Great place to work good people and benefits
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78701January 25, 2018
Worked at UT for 29 years, wonderful place and people. I help various positions at the Univ of Texas and downtown at UT System. They promote health and education to all employees, Like I said a great place to work. The offered flex time and work from home.
Being black handicapped growth and respect
ORACLE PEOPLESOFT ADMIN (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 16, 2018
Being black was not fun there. There was not mush respect given to most of the black female workers in terms of consideration for promotion and compensation. Job security is there due to be a state job.
Pros
job security
Cons
pay, non-equality for blacks, lack of growth
Typical University Environment
Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Typical University environment - fun, intelligent people but very political with difficulty in making decisions and moving forward

They need to decide what they want to be and do - going through a transition
Productive and fun enviornment
Wellness Monitor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2017
I enjoyed daily interactions with friendly employees while noting the importance of exercise. The company was great at encouraging team building. Loved that company parties were held during holidays.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Lack of things to do
Excellent place to work and develop your talent and career.
Sr. Project Manager - Office of Shared Services (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2017
Excellent place to work and develop your talent and career. Excellent leadership providing clear objectives; tough but fair with ample latitude given to allow you to do your job.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Great people and interesting work. Feels good to help the advancement of higher education in Texas. I would recommend that anyone consider working here if possible.
Fantastic work experience!
Wellness Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2017
Worked at UT System for 10 years and loved it. The worlife, management team and opportunity to learn and get involved in health care design was amazing!
Pros
Great place to work!
Higher education focus
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2017
Great opportunity to work on a new technology that may benefit thousands of Texans and more who are seeking a convenient and affordable education. Work remains to validate the technology but if it works, it will be revolutionary.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Use of contractors with no benefits
One family culture
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 23, 2017
They deeply care about employees. Provide Wellness Initiatives monthly; gatherings/meetings inclusive. Communication from Chancellor down is awesome!
Pros
EE Engagement; health fitness center; wonderful colleagues
Cons
Little room for advancement
Great if you have a PHD, otherwise not
Supervisor Gail Pizzola phone (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2017
If you only have a Master's degree, you can only be a part time temp worker. If you have a PH.D. the jobs are great, but expect the usual amount of politics and manuevering present at all universities.
Great place to get your feet wet.
Police Officer University of Texas at San Antonio (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 19, 2016
If you are looking for a solid place to start your career as a police officer, UT system is the place to do it. Great training and superior leadership take UT System to a whole new level.
Not Interested
Benefits Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Great Benefits, Low Pay. I've become non-passionate about the content of my work. I'm more interested in the Video Production, Editing, Producing, Outdoors.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and work content