The University of Vermont Medical Center Employee Reviews

decent place to work
Operating Room Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 18, 2018
I have worked here 30 years and do like my job. The pay here is not what you would expect for a large medical center and the cost of living is high. Loving where I live makes it worth it.
Great place to work in a beautiful state
Histotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 15, 2018
UVMMC is a great place to work in a beautiful area. Good benefits, decent pay, great quality of life in the Burlington area. Its a relatively expensive area to live in (housing can be a challenge), but UVM Med pays ok from my experience.
Pros
Great locavore, healthy food. Good work-life balance and quality of life in this area.
Cons
No employee gym, parking is an issue.
This was a great place to work for several years.
Assistant Nurse Manager, Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 14, 2018
I was there for 10 years and really enjoyed my colleagues. There were many demands that were difficult to meet in middle management. The work could not be done in 40 hours per week and I spent many long days there which was difficult for a home work balance.
Poor upper level management
RN (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 11, 2018
Managers are not supportive of their staff, pay is too low, unrealistic expectations at times, upper level management does not understand the importance of each staff job and how they keep the hospital functioning. Over paid nurse managers that intimidate and blame staff for things that are irrelevant to work.
Pros
Close to where I live
Cons
Low pay, full time plus mandatory on call, managers that intimidate staff
A Fantastic Place to Work!
Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 7, 2018
Overall The UVM Medical Center is a great place to work. It is incredible to be surrounded by people who are driven by their mission to provide stellar patient care.
Pros
healthy affordable meals, generous benefits and vacation time
Cons
lots of meetings and red tape
Fun workplace and a great company with a great mission and values!
Practice Support Specialist Level III (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 31, 2018
I had a great time working at UVMMC. They offer a comprehensive benefits plan and encourage applying to other positions within the company. It is such a great place to work and your co-workers are like family to you.
Pros
Great work environment!
Cons
Nothing!
decent management and a fun job
Security officer 1-UVM Med (Current Employee) –  burlington vtMay 28, 2018
management was good, coworkers are fantastic. very slim chance of advancement and the pay compared to what they expect of you is kind of horrible. they usually pass that off with "but the benefits here are fantastic." yeah, they are. and just how do you recommend cooking those to feed to my family tonight?
na
Practice Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Burlington, VTMay 23, 2018
Extremely stressful due to consistent understaffed department and organization. I was told by a HR rep that the organization runs lean; that means understaffed and underpaid. The medical center is top heavy and too many layers of management many of which do not have a clear understanding of what really goes on in the dept they are assigned to. Out of touch upper echelon. Overpaid management under paid workers. Why is this allowed to continue? Because the organization is the largest employer in the state they have us over a barrel. Really too bad....they burn out excellent employees and don't care. Workplace culture is not a feel good, supported energy. THe most enjoyable part of the job is spending the day with awesome coworkers.
benefits
Cons
understaffed, overworked, underpaid
Management and Staff Incompatable
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 20, 2018
Management does not work well with staff, hence the need for a nursing union. Pay is incredibly low versus cost of living in this area. Benefits aren't bad, but pay is a major issue and it's difficult for the hospital to recruit and retain staff. Need to take an abundance of call and they're always calling you to work overtime because of low staffing.
Great place to be a nurse
NURSE EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 14, 2018
UVMMC is an evidence based driven hospital. With a close relationship with the medical school you will feel involved and up to date if you wish to be. The directors are wonderful and you will see them on the floors off and on. Management is led in a service line style and are very collaborative with each other. The bedside teams are cohesive and want to provide the best care possible to their patients. You can tell by their passion to fix orders, request orders or treatment and their collaboration with each other. New graduates can participate in a New Graduate Residency Program by Vizient that lasts 12 months along with mentorship within the hospital. A wonderful nursing union supports all the nursing professionals and there are opportunities to get involved.
Travel Nurse Experience
Psychiatric Travel Nurse (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 6, 2018
I am a Travel Nurse. If I were to stay in VT, I would love to be a contributing nurse in this hospital. It has been a great experience, the staff is professional, qualified, and welcoming to travelers. The hospital provides great care to patients.
Flexible management
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 4, 2018
if you have an issue with scheduling later on in this job the managers are more than willing to help out in figuring the thing out for you. It is customer service and one on one with patients as well. Co-workers help train and prepare you. There is a lot of walking to different departments at the hospital. Food work!
Teamwork and a culture of caring
Adult Primary Care Ambulatory Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTMay 1, 2018
UVMMC staff at the Essex Adult Primary Care clinic is outstanding. They are always patient centered and go above to create a medical home to the patients and a home to the staff as well.
Inclusive Company
Admin (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTApril 29, 2018
They tried to include all hospital employees with all events going on, allowing off-site employees the option to participate at hospital-based gatherings whether during or after regularly scheduled work hours.
N/a
Quality Measurement Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Colchester, VTApril 24, 2018
UVMMC is a great place to work. They offer a very competitive salary and benefits package to all employees including part-time and retirees. The culture is great in my work area, learning and evolving our work everyday. We are an innovative organization who continues to evolve our business daily.
Wonderful place to work
Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTApril 22, 2018
I worked here for a year as a registration rep and wish I never had to leave. I moved out of the area but would absolutely recommend any one working here. My manager was a phenomenal woman, very caring and knowledgeable.
Pros
Benefits, hours, management, time off
Cons
Pay
fast paced Emergency room secretary for 10 years
Emergency Room Secretary/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 20, 2018
I really enjoyed working in the Emergency rooms a secretary.
I also was the admitting clerk in the ER.
I was responsible for physician billing.
Contact with patient's and there loved ones in crisis
Pros
fast paced employment
Busy, fast paced job
Lab Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 13, 2018
It is a great place to work, atmosphere is wonderful and the doctors and residents are great, I just don’t like the long winters. It is a fast paced hospital where things have to be done in a timely fashion so as not to affect patient care. I enjoyed my 25 years here and will miss it terribly, but I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
Long winters
Amazing place to work
Licensed Nursing Assistant/Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 21, 2018
There is nothing I don't love about working here! UVMMC pushes its employees to give their best to every patient and family they come across and always offers support to make sure we can get our job done and done right.
Pros
Cons
There are no cons about working at UVMMC
Admissions and Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 16, 2018
my department was influx all the time. The management in our department was sub par just before I left.
The Medical Center was par none. Very good hospital. Well run.
I would recommend it to anyone. It was just my department. If I hadn't moved I would have changed departments,
Pros
great benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Vermont Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews by Location