The University of Vermont Medical Center Employee Reviews

Over worked and underpaid
Sterile Reprocessing Technician III (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJanuary 11, 2019
The hospital only cares about money. Not patients or staff. The management only cares about lining their own pockets. Unsafe staffing levels, & not properly compensated for the risks our jobs involved.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, work conditions
Fun and Efficient
Cardiac Cath Lab RN (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTDecember 17, 2018
Working for UVVMC was a dream. Our team worked well together, nurses were supported and respected, and the management team was strong. The hardest part of the job was taking call for the cath lab. This hospital served a large area and we often worked through the night. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people that I was able to work with.
Pros
strong nurses, room for growth, education advancement
Cons
low pay for cost of living- but the union has helped this very much
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 28, 2018
UVM Medical Center hires experienced radiologic technologists and allows optimal training. UVM Medical Center includes positions for radiologic technologists in inpatient (portables, fluoroscopy, OR), outpatient (clinics, urgent care, etc.). It is a friendly environment with friendly staff.
High intensity, demanding, stressful
Senior Charge Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 12, 2018
High productivity required. No time for chatting or breaks, but if you don't take a full lunch break you may also get criticized--no winning unless you can work like a machine. One of the fastest medical coders I've ever seen, a brilliant guy, said his job was too hard.
Good College Job
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 2, 2018
The cafeteria was the best part of this job. Again there were no windows and the evening hours weren't ideal. The pay is good and there was room for upward movement.
Sleep Center
Sleep Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sleep centerSeptember 23, 2018
I was hired w/ alt lifestyle person. were living in a hospital based apartment.till found our own place. Well , this this guy tried to get in my bed!!
Pros
There were none
Cons
No cons
Great Pharmacy Environment
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 6, 2018
It's no secret that working in pharmacy can be extremely stressful, but this outpatient pharmacy is made up of a great staff and management team. They really work together as a team to make sure their patients get the best care possible, and that has been a wonderful environemnt to work in for the past three years. The collaboration of care between departments was one of the highlights of this position, because we got to work with all areas of the patients care team to ensure the best possible care was being delivered. I really enjoyed the opportunity to improve patient's lives through this organization.
Collaborative , Team-Oriented, Fun Culture
Contractor (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTSeptember 4, 2018
Collaborative, Team-Oriented, Fun Culture - Highly recommended for personal and career advancement - Management culture is relaxed and understanding of needs.
Pros
Great Organization, Culture & Food
Cons
Parking, changing schedules Bi-weekly
UVM MC is a great place to work!
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 13, 2018
I worked at UVM MC for a 9 years in a variety of capacities. Employees are valued, treated with respect & it has a great culture that fosters collaboration and care for its employees and its patients.
Eye-opening experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 31, 2018
It was about five years ago that I began my work at the University of Vermont Medical center. It was a fulfilling and relaxed job type with multiple benefits including aiding patients with their needs.
work
Surgical Clinical Office Assistant/Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 21, 2018
Workloads are not typically fair in all departments, it takes a village to be able to hire appropriate amount of staff for busy clinics. Otherwise, people are great mostly!
decent place to work
Operating Room Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 18, 2018
I have worked here 30 years and do like my job. The pay here is not what you would expect for a large medical center and the cost of living is high. Loving where I live makes it worth it.
Great place to work in a beautiful state
Histotechnologist (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 15, 2018
UVMMC is a great place to work in a beautiful area. Good benefits, decent pay, great quality of life in the Burlington area. Its a relatively expensive area to live in (housing can be a challenge), but UVM Med pays ok from my experience.
Pros
Great locavore, healthy food. Good work-life balance and quality of life in this area.
Cons
No employee gym, parking is an issue.
This was a great place to work for several years.
Assistant Nurse Manager, Operating Room (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 14, 2018
I was there for 10 years and really enjoyed my colleagues. There were many demands that were difficult to meet in middle management. The work could not be done in 40 hours per week and I spent many long days there which was difficult for a home work balance.
Poor upper level management
RN (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 11, 2018
Managers are not supportive of their staff, pay is too low, unrealistic expectations at times, upper level management does not understand the importance of each staff job and how they keep the hospital functioning. Over paid nurse managers that intimidate and blame staff for things that are irrelevant to work.
Pros
Close to where I live
Cons
Low pay, full time plus mandatory on call, managers that intimidate staff
A Fantastic Place to Work!
Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 7, 2018
Overall The UVM Medical Center is a great place to work. It is incredible to be surrounded by people who are driven by their mission to provide stellar patient care.
Pros
healthy affordable meals, generous benefits and vacation time
Cons
lots of meetings and red tape
Fun workplace and a great company with a great mission and values!
Practice Support Specialist Level III (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 31, 2018
I had a great time working at UVMMC. They offer a comprehensive benefits plan and encourage applying to other positions within the company. It is such a great place to work and your co-workers are like family to you.
Pros
Great work environment!
Cons
Nothing!
decent management and a fun job
Security officer 1-UVM Med (Current Employee) –  burlington vtMay 28, 2018
management was good, coworkers are fantastic. very slim chance of advancement and the pay compared to what they expect of you is kind of horrible. they usually pass that off with "but the benefits here are fantastic." yeah, they are. and just how do you recommend cooking those to feed to my family tonight?
na
Practice Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Burlington, VTMay 23, 2018
Extremely stressful due to consistent understaffed department and organization. I was told by a HR rep that the organization runs lean; that means understaffed and underpaid. The medical center is top heavy and too many layers of management many of which do not have a clear understanding of what really goes on in the dept they are assigned to. Out of touch upper echelon. Overpaid management under paid workers. Why is this allowed to continue? Because the organization is the largest employer in the state they have us over a barrel. Really too bad....they burn out excellent employees and don't care. Workplace culture is not a feel good, supported energy. THe most enjoyable part of the job is spending the day with awesome coworkers.
benefits
Cons
understaffed, overworked, underpaid
Management and Staff Incompatable
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 20, 2018
Management does not work well with staff, hence the need for a nursing union. Pay is incredibly low versus cost of living in this area. Benefits aren't bad, but pay is a major issue and it's difficult for the hospital to recruit and retain staff. Need to take an abundance of call and they're always calling you to work overtime because of low staffing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Vermont Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

The University of Vermont Medical Center Reviews by Location